ADVERTISEMENT

We are a spoiled fan base…………

That's a fair point, but let me say this another way:

If you think that the only thing that matters in college football is national championships then:

a) you will be gravely disappointing most of the time (regardless of what team you follow)

b) you are missing out of what makes CFB better than the NFL (IMHO)
And again you speak to your motivations and expectations, which are fine for you. Others will feel quite differently and that is fine for them. To call them names or tell them STFU because they don't buy into your philosophy is childish.

And again you speak to your motivations and expectations, which are fine for you. Others will feel quite differently and that is fine for them. To call them names or tell them STFU because they don't buy into your philosophy is childish.
It's called expressing an opinion dude. And note that my opinion isn't overly critical of student-athletes.

It's almost like you've never been on a message board before.

Look man, we all get what your saying about the drive to win, the drive to be a champion but at some point you must look through the lense of reality. Penn State has only had one season with one loss or less one time since 1994. This program has really only every been in the national title hunt once, 2005, in the last almost 30 years. And that season they needed help, they didn't control their own destiny.
What in the world would lead you to believe that they should be competing for a title annually? Or that it is even a remotely realistic expectation? They've won the conference 4 times since they've been in it. They can't even win their side of the conference.
Does Penn State have money, commitment and support like Ohio State or talent like Georgia or coaching like Alabama or facilities like Clemson?

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Look man, we all get what your saying about the drive to win, the drive to be a champion but at some point you must look through the lense of reality. Penn State has only had one season with one loss or less one time since 1994. This program has really only every been in the national title hunt once, 2005, in the last almost 30 years. And that season they needed help, they didn't control their own destiny.
What in the world would lead you to believe that they should be competing for a title annually? Or that is even a remotely realistic expectation? They've won the conference 4 times since they've been in it. They can't even win their side of the conference.
Does Penn State have money, commitment and support like Ohio State or talent like Georgia or coaching like Alabama or facilities like Clemson?
You are trying to stick a lot of words in my mouth that I've never said, are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? I've NEVER said that PSU was a perennial title contender.

You are trying to stick a lot of words in my mouth that I've never said, are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? I've NEVER said that PSU was a perennial title contender.
Sorry, I think you're right but you get the horns. My fault.
Too many similar threads going on, on the board right now. Getting lost.

Can someone start a thread about Franklin/Rhule or Allar/Clifford please?

We have a lot of talented players, but we haven't always gotten the top-tier DL players we wanted and our OL has been average generally. An elite QB gives you a chance to overcome that.

How many Super Bowls has Bill Belichick won before or after Tom Brady? He’s a genius now because he got a QB. Prior to that he was a career losing coach. QB play matters, regardless of who you want to credit for it. CJF should get some credit if Allar or anyone else lifts the program up.
Respectfully, I think you're missing the point. QB play aside, which I agree with you on, the issue being discussed is coaching. Poor tackling. Poor schemes. Poor line play. Poor clock management. Poor decision making. These should all be correctable things that enable your players to succeed, but they are not improving. In short, JF is not very good at the primary aspect of his job....football.
JF is like a Human Resource officer running a football program. Imagine if Apple made their Chief HR Officer the CEO. What would happen to their core mission of product engineering and manufacturing?

Respectfully, I think you're missing the point. QB play aside, which I agree with you on, the issue being discussed is coaching. Poor tackling. Poor schemes. Poor line play. Poor clock management. Poor decision making. These should all be correctable things that enable your players to succeed, but they are not improving. In short, JF is not very good at the primary aspect of his job....football.
JF is like a Human Resource officer running a football program. Imagine if Apple made their Chief HR Officer the CEO. What would happen to their core mission of product engineering and manufacturing?
Correct. Hes just a bad Xs and Os coach.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
Respectfully, I disagree on multiple fronts.

The head coach (CEO) is responsible for oversight but he is not the one coming up with the defensive/offensive games plans (he will obviously have input/approve them). He is not the one teaching tackling. He is not the one teaching OL technique. So I guess you can argue that he's hiring the wrong people (although I disagree with that), but to put those shortcomings 100% on him is not being honest to his role on the staff.

Finally, can you please give me an example from this year of "poor clock management"? I think PSU has greatly improved in this area.

The head coach (CEO) is responsible for oversight but he is not the one coming up with the defensive/offensive games plans (he will obviously have input/approve them). He is not the one teaching tackling. He is not the one teaching OL technique. So I guess you can argue that he's hiring the wrong people (although I disagree with that), but to put those shortcomings 100% on him is not being honest to his role on the staff.

Finally, can you please give me an example from this year of "poor clock management"? I think PSU has greatly improved in this area.
Head coaches can teach things at all positions if they know what they are doing. Sadly Franklin does not.

PSU has been struggling the last few years to establish their identity. That includes everything from the Admin to the staff and to the fans as well. They can't decide where they want to fit within the framework of CFB. If that decision is ever made and is acceptable to both Admin and fans, everything else will take care of itself.

Head coaches can teach things at all positions if they know what they are doing. Sadly Franklin does not.
They can, but that is not their primary job. And much like you probably don't like your boss micromanaging you a GOOD head coach limits the amount of interference he does and let's his coaches coach.

I do not agree on the CEO part. Franklin is good in the CEO-tyoe role based on the assistant coaches he has been hiring. something else is screwed up. like the actual coaching
I always made the assumption that a CEO was the person held ultimately responsible for overall performance of the organization. Guess that doesn't apply to CFB.

Reactions: psu00
No it isn't. If you feel that way, go be an NFL fan. College football is about student athletes, pageantry, tailgating, reuniting with old classmates, fall Saturdays on campus and Success with Honor. If all you care about is national championships, you are following the wrong sport.
College football used to be about all that. Unfortunately, it isn't any longer at the Power 5 level. It has become a lesser sport because of it. You can still get that those attributes at a service academy game, but those days are gone for big-time CFB.

College football used to be about all that. Unfortunately, it isn't any longer at the Power 5 level. It has become a lesser sport because of it. You can still get that those attributes at a service academy game, but those days are gone for big-time CFB.
I disagree but you can view it however you like.

Does "big time CFB" remove our ability to tailgate with our friends? Does it make fall weather less enjoyable? Your priorities are your priorities but they seem....misplaced.

Here is the analogy I came up with while walking back from lunch:

If your only goal when go out to the bar for an evening is to hook up with a super model (or meet your future wife, if your prefer), you are going to be disappointed 99.9% of nights. If that is your ultimate goal, but you appreciate that there are other enjoyable things about going out (hanging with friends, tasty adult beverages, cool music, fun spaces, meeting interesting people) then you will have a much better time going out.

If your only goal when go out to the bar for an evening is to hook up with a super model (or meet your future wife, if your prefer), you are going to be disappointed 99.9% of nights. If that is your ultimate goal, but you appreciate that there are other enjoyable things about going out (hanging with friends, tasty adult beverages, cool music, fun spaces, meeting interesting people) then you will have a much better time going out.
12 different programs have won a national title this century in 21 tries.
Winning a title is kind of a closed shop. Could someone sneak one in, like Auburn did with Cam Newton or FSU with Winston or Texas with Vince Young sure. But the odds a real low. You need like a generational QB talent for something like that to happen.
Expectations have to be rooted in situational reality.

No it isn't. If you feel that way, go be an NFL fan. College football is about student athletes, pageantry, tailgating, reuniting with old classmates, fall Saturdays on campus and Success with Honor. If all you care about is national championships, you are following the wrong sport.
So you think it's still 1988?
I'm not the one following the wrong sport--you're following a sport that no longer exists in reality. College football is none of that. None of college athletics are.

Reactions: BFo8
Does "big time CFB" remove our ability to tailgate with our friends? Does it make fall weather less enjoyable? Your priorities are your priorities but they seem....misplaced.
Pro football doesn't do that either...but you complain about that continually

I don't hate JF. Good man and does things right. But it is clear he has a ceiling. He is not a good XOs coach and he manages games pretty poorly when it counts. I can't remember a good OL since Paterno. There is no guarantee that a new coach will do better, but if PSU fans want to compete for a B1G championship and potentially a NC, I don't think JF is the guy, and especially not at 8.5M.
Agreed, the question really is:

Is the status quo acceptable or is the program capable of doing better?

A Question for the leaders and legislators of the University.

Reactions: psu00
Agreed, the question really is:

Is the status quo acceptable or is the program capable of doing better?

A Question for the leaders and legislators of the University.

Agreed. And we have a say too. Nebraska was chugging along in comfortable but similarly frustrating territory with Frank Solich. The curse of not being pleased with 9 wins has haunted them since.

We are similar to the Huskers. Old school tradition, massive stadium and support throughout the state/region. It is not convenient for fans to attend games and pricing for tickets, parking, hotels and food is at a premium.

What are we gonna stand for as an Athletic Department? What are we willing to pay for both as a University and as fans? An expanded playoff may find us closer to the "playoffs" and maybe we eek out some upsets like the Phils and Padres did. Like it or not, I just don't see us doing all that it takes to consistently be at the next "elite" level.

Reactions: shifix
College football is about winning about winning national titles. Always has been. The objective is to make the playoff. Winning the Big Ten means nothing if you don't win the playoff. That's true for all college sports.

Not sure why you're pretending pro sports are different. Banners are hung for division titles but they mean nothing.
Nonsense. Proof of the OP thesis.

I disagree but you can view it however you like.

Here is the analogy I came up with while walking back from lunch:

As usual, you missed the point.

Okay. However you want to massage the reasons, JF is the $8.5M guy in charge. It's his baby. The buck stops there. If the OL has been poor for 8 years and umpteen OL coaches, who is ultimately responsible? Yup, it's JF.
If JF is 1-7 against OSU, who is responsible?
If JF is 3-6 against Michigan, who is responsible?

Regarding clock management, I can't point to anything this year. I haven't watched every minute, but I can't recall any instances where clock management and situational play calling were critical. If JF has magically gotten better at this, no one will be happier than I, but based on the fact that none of the other shortcomings have changed in 8 years, I'll be surprised if he's magically figured out the clock. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
So you think it's still 1988?
I'm not the one following the wrong sport--you're following a sport that no longer exists in reality. College football is none of that. None of college athletics are.
You are out of touch with what happens on college campuses. Go be an Eagles fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT