ADVERTISEMENT

We are a spoiled fan base…………

no, it was not the most lopsided in history. There was an O'Brien game vs. OSU that was without a doubt the most lopsided.
The 2016 Michigan game was the most lopsided game I have seen. Yesterday's was number two in my book. Meyer ran up the score in 13 after we called it quits. Big difference.

Reactions: manilion
This is a terrible mindset. We are seventh all time and winds right in front of Tennessee and USC. Both of those programs have burn through several Head coaches since they’re glory years of Pete Carroll and Phil Fulmer, however they didn’t settle for mediocrity and neither should we. Did you not just watch Tennessee beat Alabama? Wouldn’t that be an awesome feeling more than once every six or seven years
it looked like alabama and tennessee were playing an entirely different game of football than we are

Reactions: psu00
no, it was not the most lopsided in history. There was an O'Brien game vs. OSU that was without a doubt the most lopsided.
one big difference here. Franklin has a full team off his players. Additionally, PennState was unranked for that game.

Reactions: psu00
As high as we were after Auburn, we are three times the opposite today. While I did not expect this team to go undefeated, I expected so much more yesterday.

This is an all-time shameful performance within my span of college student to 57 year old man:

Texas and USC in k8ckoff Classics

At UM in 2016 and vs UM in the rain in 97?

Miami kicking our ass after Adam walked in

OSU vs BillO at night

24-3 bowl loss to Stanford

And yes...the MSU lineman TD game

At the end of the year we may have the record most expected...but losses like this are unacceptable.
Miami drilling us in 2001 was not shameful. That was the greatest assemblage of college football talent I’ve ever seen. Willis Magahee, Frank Gore and Sean Taylor were 3rd stringers on that freakin team.

I was born in 76 and grew up watching them so for as long as I can remember
And, I agree, we are the king of have a good record without beating anyone with a pulse.
We were also the only team to win a Natty with the number 1 rated schedule in the country, so I guess no statement is always true.

Reactions: MacNit07
Miami drilling us in 2001 was not shameful. That was the greatest assemblage of college football talent I’ve ever seen. Willis Magahee, Frank Gore and Sean Taylor were 3rd stringers on that freakin team.
It was that night. Yes, that that great team but we had zero response. Never in it, never made a play. They marched up and down first half. They were merciful in second. Could have been 50 point blow-out, easy.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

Matt Seneca's parents and intoxicated brother sat behind us. It was a long first half. McKinnie their big tackle ran over us.

The upside was Zack Mills playing the 2nd half and showing promise. Shameful may not be the right word...but we simply got trucked and never had a prayer.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Matt Seneca's parents and intoxicated brother sat behind us. It was a long first half. McKinnie their big tackle ran over us.

The upside was Zack Mills playing the 2nd half and showing promise. Shameful may not be the right word...but we simply got trucked and never had a prayer.
Yep I was there, 1st game after 9/11 I believe and first game after stadium upgrade I believe as well. I think Seneca was the worst starting QB Ive ever seen at PSU. Bolden not far behind.

I don't hate JF. Good man and does things right. But it is clear he has a ceiling. He is not a good XOs coach and he manages games pretty poorly when it counts. I can't remember a good OL since Paterno. There is no guarantee that a new coach will do better, but if PSU fans want to compete for a B1G championship and potentially a NC, I don't think JF is the guy, and especially not at 8.5M.
Despite a post I made elsewhere making fun of him, I like Franklin. I say we hold off on any judgments or pronouncements of a ceiling until the Drew Allar era is over. Elite QB play can overcome a lot.

Reactions: john4psu
It was that night. Yes, that that great team but we had zero response. Never in it, never made a play. They marched up and down first half. They were merciful in second. Could have been 50 point blow-out, easy.
Oh, it could have been 100 points. Funny thing was some fans on the old board thinking that the closer 2nd half was about us instead of Miami downshifting to 2nd gear

Oh god, that is brutal. I hope you got drunk too. What were the Sennaca’s saying? He was easily the worst starting QB we’ve fielded in my nearly 50 years of watching.

Despite a post I made elsewhere making fun of him, I like Franklin. I say we hold off on any judgments or pronouncements of a ceiling until the Drew Allar era is over. Elite QB play can overcome a lot.
By saying that "Elite QB play can overcome a lot," you are making a judgement that there are a lot of deficiencies to overcome.

Steve Spurrier generally had great talent, and he lost every year except one, when the talent overcame his bad football coaching. As I very clearly said, JF is Steve Spurrier. Whatever Allar may achieve is irrelevant to JF's football coaching performance.

By saying that "Elite QB play can overcome a lot," you are making a judgement that there are a lot of deficiencies to overcome.

Steve Spurrier generally had great talent, and he lost every year except one, when the talent overcame his bad football coaching. As I very clearly said, JF is Steve Spurrier. Whatever Allar may achieve is irrelevant to JF's football coaching performance.
No comment on your QB discussion, but any comparison between JF and Spurs is ridiculous. Spurs won the ACC at Duke and took SCar to another level. He had some talent at those schools but nowhere near Bama/Florida talent. Beat #1 reigning NC Bama in 2010. He had 3 consecutive 11-2 / top 10 seasons at SCar. That is a capable and successful coach.

We have a lot of talented players, but we haven't always gotten the top-tier DL players we wanted and our OL has been average generally. An elite QB gives you a chance to overcome that.

How many Super Bowls has Bill Belichick won before or after Tom Brady? He’s a genius now because he got a QB. Prior to that he was a career losing coach. QB play matters, regardless of who you want to credit for it. CJF should get some credit if Allar or anyone else lifts the program up.

We have a lot of talented players, but we haven't always gotten the top-tier DL players we wanted and our OL has been average generally. An elite QB gives you a chance to overcome that.

How many Super Bowls has Bill Belichick won before or after Tom Brady? He’s a genius now because he got a QB. Prior to that he was a career losing coach. QB play matters, regardless of who you want to credit for it. CJF should get some credit if Allar or anyone else lifts the program up.
This program needs a spark. Clifford aint that.

Pat or Josh could come from the pros and PennState still loses this game.

Your right there is no real comparison. Franklin fan boys will call it a bad matchup. Zero pressure on QB. No run stuffing. Couldn’t run. Couldn’t pass. Out coached again. No sure how it could be worse.
No, that's not what I mean, POSU was smoked 44-7 at ND in 1984, the were beat in the home opener in 1983 by Cincinnati 14-3. They won the MNC that January. I was there it sucked, that's a horrible loss. Then we have a loss to Toledo in 01, etc.

We were also the only team to win a Natty with the number 1 rated schedule in the country, so I guess no statement is always true.
The exception isn't the rule, right?
Like this year, if we go 10-2 assuming we don't shock Ohio State it's highly unlikely we'll have a win over a ranked opponent.

Lol. The first half was just as bad. The score don’t tell the story of dominance by UM. The game was far more lopsided then the final score indicates.
I think '16 was worse. The fact that we were in it regardless of how until mid 3rd quarter proves it. Score could have been worse but was not because PSU made some plays. In '16 we made no plays.

I'm sorry--who was announcing the game that they referred to him as the next Ted Hendricks who retired from the NFL in the early 80s....

Stopped reading here as this already seems fake
No idea....was the USC vs Utah....maybe Fox? They even used "Mad Stork." Not fake at all. Dude looks like a pencil but is agile, long, disrupts passes over the middle. Seriously freakish...was shocked to see he was from Philly and landed at So Cal via ASU. More shocked that he was starting. Check him out.

And most were calling for Joe to retire. Somehow Franklin is doing a great job with essentially the same record. During my 30 plus years as a fan, I cannot ever remember being less optimistic about the state of the program. Additionally, I don’t ever remember a one sided game like yesterday. Maybe once close to this bad against OSU.
Hell...the PSU student section in 83/84 regularly chanted "Joe Must Go!" including my first game as a student when we lost to Cincinnati after getting whipped by Texas in the Kickoff Classic. We lost the next week to Iowa too and the chants were there.

This was coming off 82 National Title. Team turned it around as DJ Dozier took over at RB. The only less classy chant in my view was "The Bear is Dead" vs Bama. College kids can be stupid...no excuses..

Oh god, that is brutal. I hope you got drunk too. What were the Sennaca’s saying? He was easily the worst starting QB we’ve fielded in my nearly 50 years of watching.
This was in the last section of the new South end zone suite level- west side SLC row PP- still have the ticket in a collage. It was a night game, younger brother way overserved and likely not of age.

Dude kept shouting "Senneca Show Me The Money!" Was wearing an Ocean City, Maryland t shirt. Wind picked up and they had opened the gate behind the section. Dude was freezing and pretty much gone by half. He had a buddy who was playong the role of his handler.

Parents were subdued. It must be tough to see your kid getting fed to the wolves. He was our best option after missing out on highly recruited Chris Simms ( see Tommy Steven's, Will Levis amongst others).

Paterno called him "Sen-eck-er". I think he started later that year at IU and completed a bomb to Michael Robinson. He also started the NW game and scored a couple of tds but gave way to Zack Mills for the game winning drive.

Always appreciated that he chose us...just didn't work out as both sides wished. Read on the old board that he maybe is coaching in the ABE area.

Wish him well.

And for people who care about college football. You strike me as an NFL fan. Why don't you go bother people on one of those message boards instead.
College football is about winning about winning national titles. Always has been. The objective is to make the playoff. Winning the Big Ten means nothing if you don't win the playoff. That's true for all college sports.

Not sure why you're pretending pro sports are different. Banners are hung for division titles but they mean nothing.

College football is about winning about winning national titles. Always has been. The objective is to make the playoff. Winning the Big Ten means nothing if you don't win the playoff. That's true for all college sports.

Not sure why you're pretending pro sports are different. Banners are hung for division titles but they mean nothing.
No it isn't. If you feel that way, go be an NFL fan. College football is about student athletes, pageantry, tailgating, reuniting with old classmates, fall Saturdays on campus and Success with Honor. If all you care about is national championships, you are following the wrong sport.

No it isn't. If you feel that way, go be an NFL fan. College football is about student athletes, pageantry, tailgating, reuniting with old classmates, fall Saturdays on campus and Success with Honor. If all you care about is national championships, you are following the wrong sport.
People follow CFB for an infinite number of reasons and whatever appeals to them is a personal choice. What is important to some is meaningless to others. It isn't up to you to define what is important for someone else.

Reactions: MacNit07
People follow CFB for an infinite number of reasons and whatever appeals to them is a personal choice. What is important to some is meaningless to others. It isn't up to you to define what is important for someone else.
That's a fair point, but let me say this another way:

If you think that the only thing that matters in college football is national championships then:

a) you will be gravely disappointing most of the time (regardless of what team you follow)

b) you are missing out of what makes CFB better than the NFL (IMHO)

Reactions: 81b&w
That's a fair point, but let me say this another way:

If you think that the only thing that matters in college football is national championships then:

a) you will be gravely disappointing most of the time (regardless of what team you follow)

b) you are missing out of what makes CFB better than the NFL (IMHO)
The prudent college football follower knows that if you aren't one of the holy trinity then seasons are three fold:
a.)rebuilding
b.)building toward the run
c.)the run itself
Identifying them and not mixing them up is an import part of evaluation.
Thinking Penn State is going to win a national title coming off a 500 record the last two seasons with an average quarterback is straight foolhearted.... Don't be the fool.
Even when Paterno was at his absolute peak, Penn State was a contender 2 out of 4/5 years not 4 out of 4.

omg cheerleader

ADVERTISEMENT