ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting WeAre...BETTER -- 2024 four-star LB Anthony Speca commits to Penn State

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Unexpected good news! I was expecting him to wind up at ND, but that expectation was based on their recent success in PA, especially at RC prep schools.

Highlight video from sophomore year.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Nice tackler if you watch his hudl.
He makes a lot of tackles high on the ball carrier. That won't work well against Big Ten backs. He always seems to be in position though, and technique can be refined.

Really nice recruit. Great list of offers: Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Florida State, and, of course since he breathes and has a pulse, a useless offer from the pitters. He is from Pittsburgh Central Catholic, right under Narduzzi's nose. it appears like he might be the best linebacker in Pa in 2024.

Last edited:
Really nice recruit. Great list of offers: Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Florida State, and, of course since he breaths and has a pulse, a useless offer from the pitters. He is from Pittsburgh Central Catholic, right under Narduzzi's nose. it appears like he might be the best linebacker in Pa in 2024.
Check out Quinton Martin's sophomore highlight film. He plays on both sides of the ball, RB on offense and LBer/safety on defense. The kid is really special. He is also going to be a tough get. Hope he connects with the staff the way Speca has.

Check out Quinton Martin's sophomore highlight film. He plays on both sides of the ball, RB on offense and LBer/safety on defense. The kid is really special. He is also going to be a tough get. Hope he connects with the staff the way Speca has.

Yeah, he is amazing. Teams have been recruiting for two years already. Every team in the country wants him. Likely top recruit in country his senior year.

Saw him interviewed once. Seems like a very good person.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

a 6' 3" running back? wow, never saw that before. Honestly, watching the video, it was like he was the only full-sized adult playing in a league of midgets little people. He is clearly gifted but what league is he playing in? He really looks like a man playing against kids.

a 6' 3" running back? wow, never saw that before. Honestly, watching the video, it was like he was the only full-sized adult playing in a league of midgets little people. He is clearly gifted but what league is he playing in? He really looks like a man playing against kids.
Smaller WPIAL school, Division 3 state champions. That was also his sophomore year video. Imagine how big he'll be for his senior year, in September?

Reactions: Obliviax
I wanted to be happy about this, but I went to the Panther Lair and posters there are really really butt hurt. It saddens me to bring pain to little brother.
It should concern PSU fans that our team has so many player that (according to Pitt fans) couldn't play for them:rolleyes:

This kid is the quintessential Linebacker prospect. I always wanted PSU to get him but thought it was a reach, not in talent per se but offers list. Hope he sticks Think Sean Lee!!!
yeah...not saying that 6-3 doesn't work but seems to be pretty top-heavy for a RB. RB's are usually lower to the ground, in terms of center of gravity. Interestingly, PSU probably has the Best RBs in the NFL right now (barkley and sanders) and the best LB in the NFL (Parsons). If you are looking for a pipeline into the NFL at those two positions, PSU is right there.

Reactions: royboy
This kid is the quintessential Linebacker prospect. I always wanted PSU to get him but thought it was a reach, not in talent per se but offers list. Hope he sticks Think Sean Lee!!!
Yea, I get the Sean Lee comparison. He is a legend at our H.S. But it seems that Speca is purely an inside LB which seems to tell us that he doesn't have superior speed. As I remember Lee played both outside and inside, and obviously had the speed and athleticism to play in the NFL at a high level which confirms his speed and athleticism being in the upper echelon of college football LB's.

With Robinson slated to begin his PSU career at Mike, assuming he settles at Mike and given that PSU reportedly had Robinson at the top of their LB board for the duration of the 2023 class recruiting cycle, where will Speca play. He's not as big as Robinson and reportedly not as fast. Maybe if Speca comes in and contributes, shows the staff he will be a great Mike, that might push Robinson to Will or even to DE if he fills out some in the S&C program.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, as I love PSU getting the best PA LB in the 2023 class. And I'm hoping that Diaz is here in 2024-2026 to sort out all the LB talent he seems to be assembling!!

Here's another benefit for getting Speca on board early. I say "on board" because the quotes from him seem such that he really is 110% committed to PSU, no matter even if Diaz left between now and signing day next December. From the Rivals article:

"I'm going to try to help out on the recruiting trail," Speca said. "
Quinton Martin

as literally been my best friend since the 5th grade. I'm going to try hard to get him.
Pete Gonzalez
, who goes to school with me,
Cam Lindsey
, and
Tiqwai Hayes

are some of the guys I'm definitely going to focus on."

From what has been documented on the interest of PSU and of the top PA players it seems that PSU can get 4-6 top players for the 2024 class from PA. But Martin seems to be the crown jewel of the PA 2024 class and the competition for him will be fierce. Great to seemingly get some edge in his recruitment, even if its only a small edge.....

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Here's another benefit for getting Speca on board early. I say "on board" because the quotes from him seem such that he really is 110% committed to PSU, no matter even if Diaz left between now and signing day next December. From the Rivals article:

"I'm going to try to help out on the recruiting trail," Speca said. "
Quinton Martin

as literally been my best friend since the 5th grade. I'm going to try hard to get him.
Pete Gonzalez
, who goes to school with me,
Cam Lindsey
, and
Tiqwai Hayes

are some of the guys I'm definitely going to focus on."
Fantastic! Kids like this all know each other through camps and all star events. And with social media they get to close friends.

Maybe if Speca comes in and contributes, shows the staff he will be a great Mike, that might push Robinson to Will or even to DE if he fills out some in the S&C program.

Depends on growth and skill set. A player like Tarburton moved to DE rather quickly as I don't remember any garbage time with him at LB.

Brooks stayed at LB his whole career.

Ideally, you want a guy big enough, strong enough, and fast enough to play the middle and be able to cover sideline to sideline. Those guys are tough to find. We tend to move the bigger ones to DE and keep a slighter build at Mike.

Sharp tackling gets you on the field quick. Look at Carter.

Depends on growth and skill set. A player like Tarburton moved to DE rather quickly as I don't remember any garbage time with him at LB.

Brooks stayed at LB his whole career.

Ideally, you want a guy big enough, strong enough, and fast enough to play the middle and be able to cover sideline to sideline. Those guys are tough to find. We tend to move the bigger ones to DE and keep a slighter build at Mike.

Sharp tackling gets you on the field quick. Look at Carter.
Tarburton as I remember battled almost continuous injuries when he practiced at LB which kept him off the field, and seemed to make the transition to DE before he got healthy enough during an actual season to participate in games.

Brooks didn't seem to have the frame or the speed to play DE, but did a pretty decent job at Mike once he got some experience.

Yep, Carter is a tackling machine. But the fact that he's also a missile makes him special. Can't wait to hear how Robinson is doing this Spring and I plan to be at the B/W game to see for my self.

Robinson is reportedly fully healthy and ready to go for S&C and Spring

Reactions: lazydave841
Tarburton as I remember battled almost continuous injuries when he practiced at LB which kept him off the field, and seemed to make the transition to DE before he got healthy enough during an actual season to participate in games.

Brooks didn't seem to have the frame or the speed to play DE, but did a pretty decent job at Mike once he got some experience.

Yep, Carter is a tackling machine. But the fact that he's also a missile makes him special. Can't wait to hear how Robinson is doing this Spring and I plan to be at the B/W game to see for my self.

Robinson is reportedly fully healthy and ready to go for S&C and Spring

You may be right on Tarburton. Another in his ilk is Fisher. Came here as a prototype Mike size wise and was moved to DE as well. He's another wild card. He made it back late, but can he push for 2 deep contribution this fall?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Yea, I get the Sean Lee comparison. He is a legend at our H.S. But it seems that Speca is purely an inside LB which seems to tell us that he doesn't have superior speed. As I remember Lee played both outside and inside, and obviously had the speed and athleticism to play in the NFL at a high level which confirms his speed and athleticism being in the upper echelon of college football LB's.

With Robinson slated to begin his PSU career at Mike, assuming he settles at Mike and given that PSU reportedly had Robinson at the top of their LB board for the duration of the 2023 class recruiting cycle, where will Speca play. He's not as big as Robinson and reportedly not as fast. Maybe if Speca comes in and contributes, shows the staff he will be a great Mike, that might push Robinson to Will or even to DE if he fills out some in the S&C program.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, as I love PSU getting the best PA LB in the 2023 class. And I'm hoping that Diaz is here in 2024-2026 to sort out all the LB talent he seems to be assembling!!
So, from my untutored perspective, I have to agree with your concern about speed. I don't see the suddenness and explosion that I see in Robinson, or for that matter any of the kids in the class of '23 at LBer. I do disagree that he is the best LBer prospect in PA in this cycle. Check out Quinton Martin's defensive highlights. Don't get me wrong. I think the young man is a very good pickup for PSU. I think he will be making noise by his junior year. I don't think he will be another Abdul Carter for his play as a freshman. I hope this doesn't sound like damning with faint praise. He has very good instincts and plays with polish. I am happy for him that he has found the right cultural fit at PSU.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Check out Quinton Martin's defensive highlights

The primary issue with Martin (if one would call it that) is I believe he desires to be a RB instead of play defense. With every coach in the country in his ear, you have to follow his desire to secure him.

So, from my untutored perspective, I have to agree with your concern about speed. I don't see the suddenness and explosion that I see in Robinson, or for that matter any of the kids in the class of '23 at LBer. I do disagree that he is the best LBer prospect in PA in this cycle. Check out Quinton Martin's defensive highlights. Don't get me wrong. I think the young man is a very good pickup for PSU. I think he will be making noise by his junior year. I don't think he will be another Abdul Carter for his play as a freshman. I hope this doesn't sound like damning with faint praise. He has very good instincts and plays with polish. I am happy for him that he has found the right cultural fit at PSU.
No doubt Speca is not the athlete that Martin is. Which is why Martin is the #1 player in the state and Speca is #9. And Martin seems to be big enough to play LB. But it's my understanding that Martin is being recruited as a RB, which is why Speca is the best LB in the state that is going to play LB at PSU. Martin could also be a dynamic Safety.

Anyone here what position or positions the staff sees Martin playing should he end up at PSU?? Obviously a dominant RB in PA 3A H.S. and he's listed as an Athlete. Reportedly wants to be recruited as a RB and play RB in college.

Last edited:
No doubt Speca is not the athlete that Martin is. And Martin seems to be big enough to play LB. But it's my understanding that Martin is being recruited as a RB. Martin could also be a dynamic Safety.

Anyone here what position or positions the staff sees Martin playing should he end up at PSU??
Kids just a sophomore in high school. Could be 250 or more by the time he is a college sophomore. A long time before determining his best position.

Kids just a sophomore in high school. Could be 250 or more by the time he is a college sophomore. A long time before determining his best position.
If a dynamic player wants to play RB in major college football he's not going to buy in on bulking up to 250. He'd be in the portal before he agrees to play a position he doesn't want to play when he has offers from about every top 20 program in the country. More likely he stays at 215-220 and plays RB, or possibly Safety or LB if he sees a better NFL future in changing positions after he gets to college.

Right now he's a man among boys as a Junior. Some boys just mature early. I don't see any reason why the #1 player in PA as a Junior, who plays RB in high school and is dominant at RB, would even consider adding the weight that would make him end up at 250 which is more DE/DT size than either RB or LB. Which is why I don't believe in the least that he will play any position in college at 250 lbs.

Last edited:
Could be 250. But if a dynamic player wants to play RB in major college football he's not going to buy in on bulking up to 250. He'd be in the portal before he agrees to play a position he doesn't want to play. More likely he stays at 230 or below and plays RB, Safety or LB.
But he is only what 15…16? Hard to lift weights to gain strength and power and not gain weight. At least ten to fifteen pounds.

Time will tell.

If Speca is half as good as Lee, we will have a winner.

yeah...not saying that 6-3 doesn't work but seems to be pretty top-heavy for a RB. RB's are usually lower to the ground, in terms of center of gravity. Interestingly, PSU probably has the Best RBs in the NFL right now (barkley and sanders) and the best LB in the NFL (Parsons). If you are looking for a pipeline into the NFL at those two positions, PSU is right there.
How tall was Eddie George?

Eric Dickerson was pretty good as a 6'3" back. I believe Chuck Muncie was 6'3" as well, not bad either. Most good ones are more compact though.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I wanted to be happy about this, but I went to the Panther Lair and posters there are really really butt hurt. It saddens me to bring pain to little brother.
It should concern PSU fans that our team has so many player that (according to Pitt fans) couldn't play for them:rolleyes:
Pitt will continue to lose the bulk of the top WPIAL and PA targets to us because they can't compete with us for many reasons.

When your biggest selling point is that they use the same training facility as the Steelers.....well.... you don't have much to sell.

Today....with Speca committing to us...,,,Nardouchebag's ass is burning. 😂😂😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT