ADVERTISEMENT

Well, I guess that is it ....

LOL, yea I realize we had more than 3 plays but I noticed specifically he had good blocks on those 3 KEY plays.
I never said he was good I just said he was improving and he's all we have right now so constantly bitching about it isn't going to fix the problem.
This the first time I've said anything about him. At least I don't remember commenting on him before on this board. And I realize he's all we've got, hench the comment that Hack is in trouble. Because we have no other options currently. But he is a terrible LT and I have no doubt that if you were to watch the temple game followed by the SDSU game, with a focus on Palmer, you would come to the same conclusion.

This the first time I've said anything about him. At least I don't remember commenting on him before on this board. And I realize he's all we've got, hench the comment that Hack is in trouble. Because we have no other options currently. But he is a terrible LT and I have no doubt that if you were to watch the temple game followed by the SDSU game, with a focus on Palmer, you would come to the same conclusion.

Yea I didn't mean to single you out so sorry about that.
But I do think there has been improvement. He was completely lost in the TU game.
Its baby steps. I thought he played better against RU than he did yesterday.

Well, I hope I'm wrong but I do not see much light at the end of the tunnel. I could not believe we GOT zero push from the OL against SD!!!
I just feel this is as good as they will get. I do not believe we will try to have nay type of "normal" passing attack. There is no way this OL can provide the required 3-5 seconds protection for such an offense.
We tried that offense against Temple and we saw the results.
We MUST count on our defense to win games. I hope we can make a bowl game to use the time to develop some of the younger OL guys for next year.

Well, I hope I'm wrong but I do not see much light at the end of the tunnel. I could not believe we GOT zero push from the OL against SD!!!
I just feel this is as good as they will get. I do not believe we will try to have nay type of "normal" passing attack. There is no way this OL can provide the required 3-5 seconds protection for such an offense.
We tried that offense against Temple and we saw the results.
We MUST count on our defense to win games. I hope we can make a bowl game to use the time to develop some of the younger OL guys for next year.
You can take lemons, and make lemonade......and hopefully we will continue to see at least SOME improvement.
But you can't take lemons and make a perfect martini. That will take time. I think, with some patience, that time may be coming in another couple of years.

The cynicism on this board is mind-blowing!

From a poster on BSD, where maybe they have more open minds:

"When Barkley and Lynch went down, the air was sucked out of the RUNNING GAME, not the entire offense. The defense we played against used several types of stunts, and various blitzes, yet the O-line did not fold up like a card table. They gave up 2 sacks in 35 passes with virtually no running game to keep SDSU honest. Hack did not panic, and the coaches did not go into a shell with the play calling.

The defense held their opponent to <320 yards of total offense for the 11th consecutive game. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the longest such streak in the nation."

Those are the facts!

The cynicism on this board is mind-blowing!

From a poster on BSD, where maybe they have more open minds:

"When Barkley and Lynch went down, the air was sucked out of the RUNNING GAME, not the entire offense. The defense we played against used several types of stunts, and various blitzes, yet the O-line did not fold up like a card table. They gave up 2 sacks in 35 passes with virtually no running game to keep SDSU honest. Hack did not panic, and the coaches did not go into a shell with the play calling.

The defense held their opponent to <320 yards of total offense for the 11th consecutive game. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the longest such streak in the nation."

Those are the facts!
Aside from Barkley....the 2015 injury that is the most disconcerting is M Allen. As long as Barkley is out, obviously, PSU is missing a gigantic spark to their offense.

But, otherwise:

The young LBers have REALLY stepped up in the absence of Wartman-White.
Cabinda and Bell have taken it up a notch, and Reeder looks like a future star.
Obviously hurts the depth, but the front line guys are tough.

Tough to say how much Brenneman would have helped, and I would guess he would have helped some.....but the TE's haven't been a HUGE part of the pass game, and none of the TE corps had shown a real penchant for blocking.

Andrew Nelson was - IMHO - the top offensive lineman in the starting 5....and that loss hurts.....but OL is a unit were the "you are only as strong as your weakest link" really holds true. Ergo, they are not that much worse off as a unit even without him....which is kind of sad but true.

Allen was a beast in the run game (can't even imagine going up against the OSU read option without him) and was solid in coverage. We just don't have anyone to take his place.
It really showed against SDSU.....will also be an issue against Army's option attack (Safety filling the lane is a huge issue against that option....heck, when we played Navy's option, SOA may have been the key defender of the game) - but, since Army has ZERO pass game, shouldn't be a huge issue....but if Allen is out for the B1G conference games - OUCH!

Did you catch any of the WI game last night? Man do they know how to run block. They were 8 yards downfield with their blocks. 326 rushing yards on the day. Very impressive, but yes, it was Hawaii...

How many scholarships have they lost to sanctions? It MATTERS. The Lions are behind the eight ball because they lost offensive line recruits.
I'm not sure it's years away. Next year across the line Palmer, Menet, Bates, Mahon, Nelson. I really believe and have heard from others Bates is probably the best OL on the team right now and Menet will automatically become the best the second he enrolls.
don't sleep on the McGovern kid from Lake Lehman. A guy I really trust, a retired long time coach in the Wyoming Valley, told me this kid has it. Big, very strong, agile and most important, is an off the charts great student.

I disagree it has gotten better. Did they give up a sack yesterday? I can't remember.
But we are missing our best Olinman in Nelson and we were playing a very weird scheme.
Two--that's livable. Hack did have time on a number of passes to check through his receivers with some good success.

Two--that's livable. Hack did have time on a number of passes to check through his receivers with some good success.

2 is a pretty good number considering we had no running threat at all in the 2nd half and they were blitzing people all the way from Mission Bay.

The OL play may still have room for tons of improvement, but for anyone to say they're not playing better needs to go back and watch the Temple game again.

Now, how much is better play, how much is a better gameplan, and how much is weaker competition, I don't know.

Enough on the Twitter stuff. If Hand is doing a poor job, it has nothing to do with his Twitter posts.

I'm wondering why the WR coach keeps getting a pass. Hack has had his issues, but how many dropped passes have we had, and more importantly, if we have such a talented WR corps, why can they never get separation and get open? Hand has a legitimate excuse in terms of personnel, but I thought WR was a position we have recruited well, and where young players can more easily contribute.

A lot of it has to do with poor route combinations. We regularly have 2 receivers in the same area of the field. Furthermore, we seem to avoid using the middle of the field. That's on J-Don.

after yesterday's game I have FINALLY come to the realization that is OL is as good as it will ever be. I have seen ZERO improvement. The sad part is that I do not have much hope for next year because any REAL help is at least two years away.
BUT, we will win some games this year because of the D and the occasional big play (only if Barkley is available). Next year we will be in serious trouble as we will lose our 3 best D linemen.
So, as I said we are at least two years away maybe three? Oh, well.

Hey, a win is a win :)

Those that doubt the OL is EVERYTHING look at the Philadelphia Eagles :)

I disagree,

SDSU blitzed every down. The OLINE struggled vs the run, but held up well in pass protection. If this was last year, Hack would not have had the time to complete the two long balls or the TD pass to Godwin.

I disagree,

SDSU blitzed every down. The OLINE struggled vs the run, but held up well in pass protection. If this was last year, Hack would not have had the time to complete the two long balls or the TD pass to Godwin.

Or even Temple this year.... They have shown improvement. Will it be enough for the Big 10?? Time will tell.

don't sleep on the McGovern kid from Lake Lehman. A guy I really trust, a retired long time coach in the Wyoming Valley, told me this kid has it. Big, very strong, agile and most important, is an off the charts great student.
He is very good also. Menet is too good to keep off the field I am not sure that McGovern is that good. We could run into a situation like this year where McGovern is better than one of the guys starting but bc he is a RS candidate he doesn't play.

I'm not sure it's years away. Next year across the line Palmer, Menet, Bates, Mahon, Nelson. I really believe and have heard from others Bates is probably the best OL on the team right now and Menet will automatically become the best the second he enrolls.
Is it realistic to expect Menet to contribute as a true freshman OL? What about Sterling Jenkins? He'll have a year in the program by next fall, plus he enrolled early this year.

Is it realistic to expect Menet to contribute as a true freshman OL? What about Sterling Jenkins? He'll have a year in the program by next fall, plus he enrolled early this year.

Right now I'm all for taking one of the backup OT's and playing them at one of the TE positions until those TE's learn that blocking is important.

Reactions: bmw199 and bjf1984

The textbook answer is no, it's not realistic to expect Menet to contribute next year. That said, in watching some video and looking at some of his combine performances, he is an outstanding prospect who moves well and seems mature. Recall that Stef Wisniewski played a good amount as a true frosh, so maybe Menet gets a shot.

Jenkins? don't have any info; have heard that Ryan Bates who is redshirting, is a good prospect.

Right now I'm all for taking one of the backup OT's and playing them at one of the TE positions until those TE's learn that blocking is important.

Actually.......love this idea.

(wish I had thought of it myself)

And the guy I would look at is Chance Sorrell. He is a rather athletic guy for an OL (somebody correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he a TE throughout most of his HS career?)

Put an "80s" number on him and use him as one of the three TEs in that power package:

1 - Improves the point of attack blocking
2 - Gets Sorrell some good live game action to aid his development (without subbing him in at OT...which would probably hurt the OL overall)
3 - Athletic enough to step out in short yardage and catch a pass or two (hey, Cadogen's lil' brother caught a TD or two, Sorrell is a much more athletic guy)

Actually.......love this idea.

(wish I had thought of it myself)

And the guy I would look at is Chance Sorrell. He is a rather athletic guy for an OL (somebody correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he a TE throughout most of his HS career?)

Put an "80s" number on him and use him as one of the three TEs in that power package:

1 - Improves the point of attack blocking
2 - Gets Sorrell some good live game action to aid his development (without subbing him in at OT...which would probably hurt the OL overall)
3 - Athletic enough to step out in short yardage and catch a pass or two (hey, Cadogen's lil' brother caught a TD or two, Sorrell is a much more athletic guy)

I'm also on record that I'd like to see what Koa Farmer can do at RB. LOL.
But I am sick and tired of seeing the olè blocking attempts by the TE's.
Palmer needs help we all knew that but putting the TE out there really isn't helping.

The textbook answer is no, it's not realistic to expect Menet to contribute next year. That said, in watching some video and looking at some of his combine performances, he is an outstanding prospect who moves well and seems mature. Recall that Stef Wisniewski played a good amount as a true frosh, so maybe Menet gets a shot.

Jenkins? don't have any info; have heard that Ryan Bates who is redshirting, is a good prospect.
Maea Teuhema is doing a nice job as a true freshman for LSU. It's not unprecedented. Still a lot to ask.

I'm also on record that I'd like to see what Koa Farmer can do at RB. LOL.
But I am sick and tired of seeing the olè blocking attempts by the TE's.
Palmer needs help we all knew that but putting the TE out there really isn't helping.
It reminds me of another Jr High story. We were bad, like real bad. Which is really unusual at Wyomissing. Our RT couldn't block anyone, and not for lack of size, the kids nickname was Grizzly Bear for Pete's sake(he went on to become a really good D2 dt). Anyway, when he was 14 he couldn't block anyone. So in practice he got one of our running backs just completely blown up by our star middle linebacker(pretty much the only good player on the team at the time). Coach flips out and says he's running the ball next play. we get to the line and the coach walks up to each offensive lineman and goes "You [points a a defender] don't block him. You [points at the next denfender] don't block him." so forth all the way down the line. On the snap the entire offense just falls over and every defender runs by and blows our right tackle up before he can even get the ball tucked away. Olè blocks didn't completely go away after that, but the frequency went down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT