ADVERTISEMENT

What are your top 2 keys to winning this game?

Does Penn State have any strengths? Apparently not.
We have strengths. Our secondary is the biggest followed by our edge rushers. Our ball security is phenomenal and I have great faith in Diaz putting together a game plan. Our TEs are also a strength

But there's a lot of valid concerns. Allar hasn't been great on the road and hasn't truly been tested. He hasn't needed to put together a game winning drive. Our run game, despite the numbers, isn't producing how any of us had hoped (even if some won't admit it) and we need to see Singleton perform much better. Our WRs have been extremely disappointing thus far and the line has merely been solid despite our high expectations. Some concerns still exist with the LBs and DTs though I'm not too worried about the interior DL.

Ohio State has concerns as well. McCord hasn't been great and could get rattled. He has the luxury of playing at home and, if nothing else, the final drive vs. ND should give him confidence. Their OL has been a disappointment. Huge concern for them are the injuries.

I think we win--especially with they don't have Egbuka but it's going to be a close, relatively low scoring game. Comes down to a couple things but especially which QB makes less mistakes and shows they're ready for this stage. Could be both, could be neither. We honestly don't know. That's why we're all excited for Saturday. Hopefully we're all still excited around 4pm on Saturday.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Your assessments are entirely too negative and one sided for OSU and against PSU. You fail to consider any weaknesses OSU may have that Penn State can take advantage of. There is a realistic objective take and then there is yours which is off the charts. In reading your gloom and doom comments it is clear you have no confidence we have any shot. We certainly could lose this game but my God at least come up with an objective, balanced assessment.
It seems OSU is a top 5 team and we are maybe #25. Your score prediction reflects that which is way more negative than any prognosticators. The title of the thread is keys to winning yet you drone on about how our WRs and O-line suck so we are doomed. I am stunned you are actually a PSU supporter.
If the fact that we are bottom of the barrel with plays over 20+ yards (against a pedestrian schedule) does not cause you grave concern, I am not sure what to say.

O$U has more talent (top-3 in nation), is battle-tested, is at home, and will have the refs shading things as necessary as always.

O$U will stack the line but also has the ability to press our WRs…a bad combination.

Penn State’s defense is mostly untested, Allar has been poor outside Happy Valley, and the running game (our best hope) has been disappointing - especially Singleton.

Add on the fact that our kick game has been weak, this is not a good recipe for winning at O$U.

If the fact that we are bottom of the barrel with plays over 20+ yards (against a pedestrian schedule) does not cause you grave concern, I am not sure what to say.

O$U has more talent (top-3 in nation), is battle-tested, is at home, and will have the refs shading things as necessary as always.

O$U will stack the line but also has the ability to press our WRs…a bad combination.

Penn State’s defense is mostly untested, Allar has been poor outside Happy Valley, and the running game (our best hope) has been disappointing - especially Singleton.

Add on the fact that our kick game has been weak, this is not a good recipe for winning at O$U.
All of this is fair--won't be popular but it's fair
That said, we can still win this game due to Ohio State's weaknesses. We have to force some turnovers and likely bracket Harrison which is easier to do if Egbuka doesn't play.
Our run game has to be better than it has been though--most of us know that.

Simple and plain:

1. Field Position
2. No stupid Oregon 4th down crap. Punt and play defense.

The irony of this game is the guy who wins it will win it by playing "Tressell ball". That damn well better be Franklin because as long as he makes Ohio State go 70 or more yards the game is over.

Reactions: johnmpsu
All of this is fair--won't be popular but it's fair
That said, we can still win this game due to Ohio State's weaknesses. We have to force some turnovers and likely bracket Harrison which is easier to do if Egbuka doesn't play.
Our run game has to be better than it has been though--most of us know that.
Wrong. Penn State does not need to get turnovers. That's what Ohio State needs and they need them deep in Penn State territory. Penn State can turn it over as long as it doesn't go for 6 or deep in it's own territory.

We have strengths. Our secondary is the biggest followed by our edge rushers. Our ball security is phenomenal and I have great faith in Diaz putting together a game plan. Our TEs are also a strength

But there's a lot of valid concerns. Allar hasn't been great on the road and hasn't truly been tested. He hasn't needed to put together a game winning drive. Our run game, despite the numbers, isn't producing how any of us had hoped (even if some won't admit it) and we need to see Singleton perform much better. Our WRs have been extremely disappointing thus far and the line has merely been solid despite our high expectations. Some concerns still exist with the LBs and DTs though I'm not too worried about the interior DL.

Ohio State has concerns as well. McCord hasn't been great and could get rattled. He has the luxury of playing at home and, if nothing else, the final drive vs. ND should give him confidence. Their OL has been a disappointment. Huge concern for them are the injuries.

I think we win--especially with they don't have Egbuka but it's going to be a close, relatively low scoring game. Comes down to a couple things but especially which QB makes less mistakes and shows they're ready for this stage. Could be both, could be neither. We honestly don't know. That's why we're all excited for Saturday. Hopefully we're all still excited around 4pm on Saturday.
I agree with this analysis.

I just feel we will lose because the game is on the road. Franklin needs “show us”…what top team has he ever beaten in a true road game?. At some point, I hope he will gets to “one” Ten years is a long time to wait. Having #1 happen at the Shoe is an unlikely place to finally break out. But hey, it will either end soon or we will likely part ways w/CJF.

Reactions: LandoComando
Wrong. Penn State does not need to get turnovers. That's what Ohio State needs and they need them deep in Penn State territory. Penn State can turn it over as long as it doesn't go for 6 or deep in it's own territory.
Oh no no no

It may be gloomy, but is it not realistic?

PSU has won one of last 10 vs O$U. Both of my observations are completely objective.

I will be ecstatic if we win. Possible? Absolutely. But have seen nothing to date to think this is likely.
And every year is different. I haven’t seen a lot of OSU football but McCord ain’t anywhere close to Fields.

Reactions: Obliviax

OSU has the ability to press our receivers? Most every other team has played zone specifically designed to eliminate big plays. We’ll see how it works if OSU tries it.

What about the big advantage we have at DE versus their tackles? We can get after McCord and be stout in the run game. Carter and Jacobs are good in pass coverage also. Yes we have to be able to run some but so do they.

Kaytron is averaging almost 5 yards a pop and Singleton at 4. Henderson is a little over 6. I think he had a long one vs ND that has helped his per carry average. Their other 2 backs are averaging 4.6 and 3.8. So yeah Henderson needs to be contained but that is certainly possible to do. Also our per carry is decent, especially Kaytron.

Our defense is "untested" so I guess your implication is not ready and overrated. On the other hand, OSU won at ND so I guess it is elite "battle tested" and significantly better than ours and will over match our offense. Interesting take.

Also now OSU has more talent. Significantly more? No, marginally so but every expert agrees the talent level is very close so your comment is misleading and weasel worded.

All your comments point to us doing nothing offensively. Maryland gained over 300 yards. 200 passing and 100 rushing and hung with them. Significantly worse talent compared to PSU. Their defense is not impenetrable.

Again you paint this as an easy win for OSU.

I am not saying PSU is definitely winning. The point is when looking at this game there are various plausible scenarios that result in a PSU win. You ignore all of that.

Reactions: royboy
What about the big advantage we have at DE versus their tackles? We can get after McCord and be stout in the run game. Carter and Jacobs are good in pass coverage also. Yes we have to be able to run some but so do they.

Kaytron is averaging almost 5 yards a pop and Singleton at 4. Henderson is a little over 6. I think he had a long one vs ND that has helped his per carry average. Their other 2 backs are averaging 4.6 and 3.8. So yeah Henderson needs to be contained but that is certainly possible to do. Also our per carry is decent, especially Kaytron.

Our defense is "untested" so I guess your implication is not ready and overrated. On the other hand, OSU won at ND so I guess it is elite "battle tested" and significantly better than ours and will over match our offense. Interesting take.

Also now OSU has more talent. Significantly more? No, marginally so but every expert agrees the talent level is very close so your comment is misleading and weasel worded.

All your comments point to us doing nothing offensively. Maryland gained over 300 yards. 200 passing and 100 rushing and hung with them. Significantly worse talent compared to PSU. Their defense is not impenetrable.

I am not saying PSU is definitely winning. The point is when looking at this game there are various plausible scenarios that result in a PSU win. You ignore all of that.
I agree with most of this other than the claim Singleton per carry average is decent. Hopefully that changes but thus far. No

I agree with most of this other than the claim Singleton per carry average is decent. Hopefully that changes but thus far. No
Kaytron could do the damage if Singleton does not bring it. Also put Singleton in space with the passing game. We have options.

Reactions: royboy
Kaytron could do the damage if Singleton does not bring it. Also put Singleton in space with the passing game. We have options.
Not denying that. Just disagreeing that Singleton's performance thus far has been anything better than subpar. He has to be better or he has to be less involved.

1. Our DL winning the LOS and getting pressure on McCord. OSU's OL isn't as strong as they typically have, the opportunities for pressure should be there. With such great WRs, especially Harrison Jr who probably can't be stopped but is hopefully minimized, getting pressure is going to be a huge factor to make McCord uncomfortable and disrupting the passing game to their explosive WRs. I don't think there's a CB in the country that could shut down MHJ in man coverage if McCord has time, the pass rush is going to be crucial.

2. Stay ahead of the chains offensively. With the struggles with explosive plays so far, I'm not confident those will suddenly appear this week. Execution in the short passing game, which we've been great at so far, will be important. The TEs could be huge in this one. We've got to keep getting those 4-6 yard plays when they are there. Just as important will be Allen and Singleton continuing to convert on short yardage situations and getting 4-5 yards on first down. We can win this game without explosive plays if the offense executes.

Other:
I will not at all be surprised if we see Pribula for some plays early in this one in an attempt to loosen up the defense and break off some big gains. He's a shifty runner with quickness and poses a different threat than Allen/Singleton, and of course QB runs always give us an extra blocker.

Allar needs to continue to take care of the football. Turnovers were a huge reason Clifford was so divisive and enabled many an OSU 4th quarter comeback.

OSU has the ability to press our receivers? Most every other team has played zone specifically designed to eliminate big plays. We’ll see how it works if OSU tries it.
They have been doing it for many years with great success…with subpar receivers, an average line, and a inexperienced QB, why would this be any different?

You make some good points and Penn State could certainly win. But Ohio State is the clear favorite for the reasons I outlined above. I think Penn State is being significantly overrated based upon an easy schedule. There are far too many signs of weakness to think they can win a road game against a team the caliber of O$U.

I was expecting PSU this year to be:

- a little better at QB than they have shown

- better at WR

- Singleton to be much better

- Offensive line to be better

- linebacker play to be better (especially Carter)

- special teams to be better

- overall kind of what we saw in the RoseBowl

And even if they lived up to those pre-season expectations, I would have still expected O$U to win a home game.

I think we will struggle mightily to score.

Reactions: republion
You make some good points and Penn State could certainly win. But Ohio State is the clear favorite for the reasons I outlined above. I think Penn State is being significantly overrated based upon an easy schedule. There are far too many signs of weakness to think they can win a road game against a team the caliber of O$U.

- better at WR

And even if they lived up to those pre-season expectations, I would have still expected O$U to win a home game.

Well let's see. Again, OSU will struggle to score also. We also have not turned the ball over much so winning the turnover battle could be a key statistic that drives the outcome.

Well let's see. Again, OSU will struggle to score also. We also have not turned the ball over much so winning the turnover battle could be a key statistic that drives the outcome.
They will struggle. But they have playmakers - NFL caliber ones. And they are at home.

Aside from the obvious (score more points), what specially do you think Penn State needs to do to win this game. Pick 1 key for defense and 1 key for offense.

Defense
Limit OSU’s long runs. You can’t give up 30+ yard runs. They might get a 15 or 20 yard rip here or there, but you can’t give up that 30+ yard run.

Offense
Drew Allar. I honestly think he needs to use the pump fake in this game. We haven’t seen it from him and I really think it could be used effectively against a defense like Ohio State. If Drew can effectively pump fake, I think it can open up the offense significantly.
1. Your first year starting QB does not throw a pick 6 like your 4 year starter.
2. We Ieep maintaining possession like the 1st 6 games. It is the best defense.

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious (score more points), what specially do you think Penn State needs to do to win this game. Pick 1 key for defense and 1 key for offense.

Defense
Limit OSU’s long runs. You can’t give up 30+ yard runs. They might get a 15 or 20 yard rip here or there, but you can’t give up that 30+ yard run.

Offense
Drew Allar. I honestly think he needs to use the pump fake in this game. We haven’t seen it from him and I really think it could be used effectively against a defense like Ohio State. If Drew can effectively pump fake, I think it can open up the offense significantly.
Many say that OSU has the best defense we have played this year. That is false. Iowa is the best defense in our first 7 games, by far.

Last edited:
I agree with this analysis.

I just feel we will lose because the game is on the road. Franklin needs “show us”…what top team has he ever beaten in a true road game?. At some point, I hope he will gets to “one” Ten years is a long time to wait. Having #1 happen at the Shoe is an unlikely place to finally break out. But hey, it will either end soon or we will likely part ways w/CJF.

The betting line says this is basically a toss-up on a Neutral Field. PSU has historically not played great on the road (and this isn't just the road, it's TheShoe) especially Early Kickoffs. Seems like it's going to be a tight, low-scoring game (or that's how the Racing Form seems to read) - home-field advantage, Kickoff Time and FG Kicking all favor duhO$U. PSU has the defense to win this type of game - just have to see what happens.

- better at WR

Looks pretty accurate…still think i am too pessimistic?

Why do I have a feeling you completely disappear from this board on Saturday if we win? What you got? 28-0 Bucks? 35-0? Maybe PSU gets a garbage time TD? Allar clearly does not belong on the same field as McCord. The OSU D line will eat the PSU O-Line alive, what, 5-6-7 sacks? Under 20 yards rushing?
Hey - you called our TD at garbage time!

Better luck next time Lando!

Reactions: LandoComando
Hey - you called our TD at garbage time!
Dude I think you just outed yourself as a troll. You are all over this board gleefully thumping your chest over your dismal prediction. No way you are a PSU supporter. But I am happy for you since you are thrilled.

Reactions: knickslions
Dude I think you just outed yourself as a troll. You are all over this board gleefully thumping your chest over your dismal prediction. No way you are a PSU supporter. But I am happy for you since you are thrilled.
When people dismiss your valid points that happens. You can be disappointed with the loss and still say I told you so.

I'm still not sure where all the WVU is a good/decent team went.

When people dismiss your valid points that happens. You can be disappointed with the loss and still say I told you so.

I'm still not sure where all the WVU is a good/decent team went.
That's the point, he/she is not disappointed, that is what you are missing.

Oh and who cares about WVU being good or not, we are not that good.

That's the point, he/she is not disappointed, that is what you are missing.

Oh and who cares about WVU being good or not, we are not that good.
I'm disappointed with the loss today but still want to call out the idiots that refused to listen to obvious concerns heading into this game

WVU is a prime example though of why people had unrealistic expectations for this game. Those individuals pretended that WVU and Iowa showed we were great/elite when they didn;t.

He’s been jacking off since the game ended pathetic troll

I'm disappointed with the loss today but still want to call out the idiots that refused to listen to obvious concerns heading into this game

WVU is a prime example though of why people had unrealistic expectations for this game. Those individuals pretended that WVU and Iowa showed we were great/elite when they didn;t.
He is not disappointed. Again who cares about WVU.....not me.

He is not disappointed. Again who cares about WVU.....not me.
You don't care about WVU...many here 2 weeks ago but it was really just about claiming I was wrong prematurely and wanting to believe we're better than we are.

Fair, I dont know if he's disappointed. I can only speak for me. I'm disappointed but also annoyed at those that ignored obvious concerns and attacked those willing to be honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT