Votes: 30 14.9%
  • Manning

Votes: 95 47.0%
  • Ryan

Votes: 93 46.0%
  • I missed one

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
I guess in my mind there I have a lot more respect for guys who recruit, stay loyal to, and develop the kids. That is the gist of what I was trying to say. I know Virginia Tech and ASU have gotten some kids from the portal and it diminishes the team's accomplishments in my mind.

I also know it is the way things are and I am just getting old and crabby. "NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!"" :)
I'm with you. We can move forward without any transfers and win for the next few years. I'm hoping we do that I'm past transfers after messinbrink who I view differently since he hadn't wrestled an official non redshirt match along with kerk.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Kids have learned loyalty from their coaches, who often jump ship for a more lucrative offer after just promising the recruit they'd be there for them throughout their career. I'm thinking football but that applies to all sports. The universities, alumni, and coaches created the blueprint for how collegiate sports will be destroyed now that athletes are doing the same things. You reap what you sow. It is also only a matter of time before an athlete somewhere point shaves as a "thank you" for all that money.
I get it and I know this is life. I am just saying it is sad to see everyone give up on trying to have something pure and honest and not easily swayed by greed. We all have to fight to live purer lives and do things that are motivated by virtue. The transfer portal and NIL make it very easy to be led by greed. It is just sad to see although it is the way of the world.
It is kind of like having the olympic basketball team filled with NBA stars. It just isn't the same anymore.

I get it and I know this is life. I am just saying it is sad to see everyone give up on trying to have something pure and honest and not easily swayed by greed. We all have to fight to live purer lives and do things that are motivated by virtue. The transfer portal and NIL make it very easy to be led by greed. It is just sad to see although it is the way of the world.
It is kind of like having the olympic basketball team filled with NBA stars. It just isn't the same anymore.
When were athletics pure or honest?

From Buckeye board:

“Coach Ryan will be on Flo live Thursday morning with Christian and the boys.”

That’s one of the three positions he is a Jedi in. Unfortunately for him the other two are making bad decisions, and then loudly claiming to be the victim of said decisions.
Like for the "Logan is a JEDI in 2 positions" reference.

Reactions: Eyecatcher
From Buckeye board:

“Coach Ryan will be on Flo live Thursday morning with Christian and the boys.”
GIF by South Park

He’s one of Gable’s boys ( a transfer from Syracuse no less - wonder if he got that sweet, bogus in-state scholarship equivalence), so he’s defending Gable’s turf. Expect him to be getting real salty if Cael passes Gable with 16 titles.
You’ll see that in uniform from “rival” coaches, wrestling media, maybe even a few coaches wives. How even after Cael has the record, no one can ever top Gable.

When were athletics pure or honest?
I am not sure anything is pure, but it is nice to try and push things in that direction. I get your negativity or realism or whatever you want to call it. I just do not think the current situation lends itself to developing the best virtues. Greed is a powerful force and it drives a lot of our decisions. Now we are seeing it more so in college athletics among the athletes.

I am not sure anything is pure, but it is nice to try and push things in that direction. I get your negativity or realism or whatever you want to call it. I just do not think the current situation lends itself to developing the best virtues. Greed is a powerful force and it drives a lot of our decisions. Now we are seeing it more so in college athletics among the athletes.
It's realism, and to be equally realistic: there is far less greed today among athletes than during, for example, the 1970s point shaving scandal at Boston College, or the 1980s SMU football players being showered with sports cars by multiple colleges while still in high school, or the 1990s UNLV basketball team hanging out with "The Fixer" from the BC points shaving scandal.

Negativity is saying that today's athletes are more motivated by greed than those in the past who chose their schools based upon scholarship offer size.

Reactions: ikS and Reslo
I normally defend Ryan because his team seems to be very gracious and classy. His comment about an asterisk is not good.
The NCAA has a problem with NIL and portal combination. I can't stand Nick Saban,( my daughter met him at FBI LEDA convention and said he was very pompous and arrogant. ) When he walks away from Alabama because of the current situation in College sports with money and transfer situation, you know it has to be an issue. The NCAA shut down SMU football for what is now allowed. Somewhere some balance needs to be initiated to prevent the yearly transfers. I have no issue with grad students free lancing. Maybe undergrads get one every 4 years without sitting out.?????

Somewhere some balance needs to be initiated to prevent the yearly transfers. I have no issue with grad students free lancing. Maybe undergrads get one every 4 years without sitting out.?????
How many are doing this, that there needs to be a rule?

We are seeing it more because it's more public but it always has existed.

I don't get Ryan's beef.

I'm sure he threw lots of NIL money at his 'historic' 2022 recruiting class.

Is he suggesting buying high school kids is nobler than buying grad transfers?

Ryan has chosen his path. He needs to shut the F-up and show everyone his model works. Until he does, he's just pi$$ing into the wind.

Greed has been a problem for long enough that it's one of the seven deadly sins (if you're into that sort of thing). Not sure if the 'current situation' qualifier is needed.

Don't confuse the fact that you don't like (for whatever reason) college athletes being able to get paid with "greed" on their part.

I don't get Ryan's beef.

I'm sure he threw lots of NIL money at his 'historic' 2022 recruiting class.

Is he suggesting buying high school kids is nobler than buying grad transfers?

Ryan has chosen his path. He needs to shut the F-up and show everyone his model works. Until he does, he's just pi$$ing into the wind.
He wouldn't be complaining if the transfers he sought had moved to Columbus.

OK, he'd still complain about somehing but not this.

Manning had an early lead because of recency, but Ryan will eventually swamp him with sheer volume.
Funny post from a Michigan fan on Intermat:

On 4/8/2024 at 9:04 AM, Dogbone said:
Piles mentioned Mesensbrink specifically (probably becuase Ben told him) and Ryan's response was "yes, we have looked in the portal! Never said we haven't"
Ryan's issues seems to be they are getting outbid in the portal and he would rather have unlimited NIL than 9.9 scholarship. None of that has anything to do with Piles original statement. TR is probably projecting his frustrations after watching PSU set the scoring record.
Expand
“Ryan's issues seem to be that the concussion protocol didn't exist when he was in the Iowa room getting pummeled by the Steiner brothers.”

Tan Tom tweet it up today. I like him. Sue me.
What this doofus Ryan doesn’t realize is the magnanimity of the PSU margin of victory with NIL in place. Think of all of the quality transfers that UM and Iowa pulled in. No way should a first place team should be able to outscore the 2nd place team by 100 friggin points…especially with NIL.

Take that asterisk and shove it up your Ryan.

What this doofus Ryan doesn’t realize is the magnanimity of the PSU margin of victory with NIL in place. Think of all of the quality transfers that UM and Iowa pulled in. No way should a first place team should be able to outscore the 2nd place team by 100 friggin points…especially with NIL.

Take that asterisk and shove it up your Ryan.
Yep. Toss out all four of our transfers, in the age of the Portal and NIL, and PSU still wins nationals running away this year.

For a guy that I respected quite a bit, each time he pulls this crap, he just lowers himself. In a way it's just plain sad.

Yep. Toss out all four of our transfers, in the age of the Portal and NIL, and PSU still wins nationals running away this year.

For a guy that I respected quite a bit, each time he pulls this crap, he just lowers himself. In a way it's just plain sad.
We might run on all cylinders one of these years and ring up something absurd - like 185 points.

And he’ll be handing out “coveted” black shirts to guys finishing 3rd at CKLV.

Cael didn’t come here to beat Lehigh

We might run on all cylinders one of these years and ring up something absurd - like 185 points.

And he’ll be handing out “coveted” black shirts to guys finishing 3rd at CKLV.

Cael didn’t come here to beat Lehigh
The entire 2018 season debacle is eating away at this guy's sanity. He's never going to get over it. Doesn't help that he's not a 'big picture' kind of person.

The entire 2018 season debacle is eating away at this guy's sanity. He's never going to get over it. Doesn't help that he's not a 'big picture' kind of person.
He's always been that way. Zain beat Stieber because of average officials, a long bus ride, and a touch of flu. Etc.

Reactions: Eyecatcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT