ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Number One Duals

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Any board members over at the Palestra? Currently watching BeCaHi-Bergen in the back right cornerb

Any board members over at the Palestra?

I went to the event, though I missed the 1st and 2nd round, and most of the 3rd round, due to a prior commitment.

I saw Suriano wrestle, and later talked with him, and also with his dad. Nick was even more impressive in person than I would have expected, both as a wrestler and as a person. I think you guys are going to really enjoy him at PSU.

I saw both of the Nevills boys wrestle for Clovis -- Seth had a pin in the 3rd round and a bye in playoff round, and I missed A. J. in the 3rd round, and he got pinned by a Bergen Catholic wrestler in the playoff round.

I chatted at length with Willie, met Bader for the 1st time, and met Joe Flo for the 2nd time (last time was at the PSU home dual against Iowa in 2012).

The turnout wasn't great for the event, even though 5 of the top 8 high school teams in Flo's rankings were at the event. Fans missed out on some great wrestling. They plan to hold it again next year, most likely in Philadelphia, so perhaps some of you will be able to attend next year.

The 1st-place dual was kind of amusing. I picked a great seat in the 2nd row, just a bit off the middle of the circle, I didn't realize it until the match started, but I had selected a seat right in the middle of the Blair Academy fan section. Amazing how much, and how loudly, they complained about the 2 refs in the finals, and how misinformed they were about the rules. Since they're such an elite program, I guess I was expecting a more knowledgeable group of fans. To be fair, I probably should have moved to a seat amongst the BECA fans, to see if they exhibited the same type of behavior.

"The turnout wasn't great for the event, even though 5 of the top 8 high school teams in Flo's rankings were at the event. Fans missed out on some great wrestling. They plan to hold it again next year, most likely in Philadelphia, so perhaps some of you will be able to attend next year."

The turnout was bad because the majority of the people in the area were at Escape the Rock, which is arguably the toughest tournament in Southeastern PA. The tournament had a marque match-up of Verkleeren vs Hong in the finals (won by Verkleeren) and a rematch of the 2015 PIAA State Finals at 220lbs between Jordan Wood (Boyertown) and Seth Janney (MP) (Jordan won 5-1). Belle Vernon ran away with the team title. Kudos to the Council Rock tournament committee for running a great weekend of wrestling and the best spread of food I've ever seen for coaches.

I have been told that next year's Who's #1 Duals will be a 16 team bracket and will take place at the Palestra in Philly. I hope they don't put it on the same weekend of ETR, which will allow more local people to attend the event

It seems like WNO is a good event, and the Palestra is such a great venue, but putting it the same weekend as ETR is a silly move by Flo.

It seems like WNO is a good event, and the Palestra is such a great venue, but putting it the same weekend as ETR is a silly move by Flo.

I believe this past weekend was for most teams the last weekend they could do a tourney. After this they are mostly involved in duals, state dual tourneys, and then the postseason thru to States. Plus, it was a 3-day weekend, which benefited the teams that had to travel from CA and FL.

It was unfortunate that it was the same weekend as ETR, but pretty much any weekend that Flo picked would be a complication for some teams, and with other tourneys. Flo's 2 other big events (Who's No 1 individual, FloNationals) are held preseason and postseason, respectively. They don't have that option with WNO Duals.

Great to meet with and talk to Tom. was very happy to have him there.

Agreed it wasn't the best date. ETR are great friends of flo. but we got started late and some things (including the date) were carved in stone.

Hopefully next year we can avoid that while producing as good or better field.

And I'm sticking with an 8-team, 1-day event. It's best for the athletes' and fans' budgets. and those are whom i'd like to cater to.

Reactions: Sullivan
Great to meet with and talk to Tom. was very happy to have him there.

Back at ya Willie.

Below is a pic I took at the event of Suriano and Willie.

IMG_0271_2.jpg

Reactions: smalls103
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT