ADVERTISEMENT

Why are Iowa homers still posting here

Iowa will struggle with Purdue this week. Purdue has athletes. Iowa’s luck will run out.

After yesterday your #2 iowa Hawkeyes now rank nationally as follows in main offensive metrics:

PPA: 119
Success Rate: 114
Standard Downs Success Rate: 119
Rush Success Rate: 103
Pass Success Rate: 113
Explosiveness: 70
Points Per Opportunity: 77
Stuff Rate: 129
Line Yards: 125

Once they turnovers stop, they results will be different. The one thing that yesterday proved in Iowa’s defense is that Spencer Petras is slightly better than Roberson.

They only got three points off of four turnovers. That happens when you play a team with a pulse. I mean, their first
FG after the worst pass in Clifford history came after they drove -8 yards. Two of their INTs were de facto punts. Relying on pick six’s is a risky offensive strategy.

Reactions: Dave1649 and Grass
Iowa will struggle with Purdue this week. Purdue has athletes. Iowa’s luck will run out.

After yesterday your #2 iowa Hawkeyes now rank nationally as follows in main offensive metrics:

PPA: 119
Success Rate: 114
Standard Downs Success Rate: 119
Rush Success Rate: 103
Pass Success Rate: 113
Explosiveness: 70
Points Per Opportunity: 77
Stuff Rate: 129
Line Yards: 125

Once the turnovers stop, the results will be different. The one thing that yesterday proved in Iowa’s defense is that Spencer Petras is slightly better than Roberson.

let me sum up those metrics...'Iowa is not very good.'

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Is vegas taking bets on who will not make the playoffs? I want to bet my mortgage on Iowa

Reactions: blmr31
I never in my life thought that there could be a dumber fan base than Pitt, but this week has proved that Iowa is dumber. The lack of football knowledge is astounding. To actually believe that a team would fake injuries against that inept offense is mind boggling. Then they double down on their stupidity and think PSU wouldn’t have kept carving them up with Clifford in the game.

@Hotshoe - add luvmyhawks and sob5 to the ever-growing Iowa banned list

Ive been here for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a fanbase act this way before. I had no problem with Iowa 2 days ago, now I have lost all respect for their fanbase
Same, except opposite. I have been shocked by the comments from Penn State fans. I came back here to see if I could find any semblance of rationality. Anyway, peace out. Good luck the rest of the way.

I was always indifferent in regards to Iowa other than when playing us, often leaning towards wanting them to win if I had to pick a team.

Never f n again. I will actively pull for every team they are playing against (except when Iowa twinning is detrimental to Penn State).

Reactions: Grass and psuguy43
If your still on an opposing team’s message board two days after you win, you need to re-examine your life and your priorities especially if your an adult. I could understand teenagers doing it, but my guess is none of the Iowa posters here are teenagers.

Better question is why y’all still crying about Iowa. We’re your overlords now.
Wow, you really don't know how it feels to win do ya? Playing in the extremely s***** division of yours, I'm surprised you're still acting like this

• Haha
Reactions: Bucky712
Wow, you really don't know how it feels to win do ya? Playing in the extremely s***** division of yours, I'm surprised you're still acting like this
If they didn’t play in that division they wouldn’t have very many wins to crow about.

I was always indifferent in regards to Iowa other than when playing us, often leaning towards wanting them to win if I had to pick a team.

Never f n again. I will actively pull for every team they are playing against (except when Iowa twinning is detrimental to Penn State).
Agreed. Kirk used to coach with my mentor teacher's husband (when I was a student teacher) when he was a high school coach. Therefore, I have always pulled for him. Not anymore, eff Iowa. This fan base is insane, annoying, and delusional

• Haha
Reactions: sob5
Same, except opposite. I have been shocked by the comments from Penn State fans. I came back here to see if I could find any semblance of rationality. Anyway, peace out. Good luck the rest of the way.

No you didn't. You're an insecure middle aged man who wanted/needed affirmation from anonymous boasting amongst anonymous fans of the opposing team about a game on which you had no impact.

@Hotshoe - add luvmyhawks and sob5 to the ever-growing Iowa banned list

Ive been here for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a fanbase act this way before. I had no problem with Iowa 2 days ago, now I have lost all respect for their fanbase
The OSU fans seem to be a lot like this - they win and then come over here to troll for any negative OSU posts to try to "school" us on how great OSU is and they never do any wrong - it's really a head scratcher - why not celebrate with your own fans. I get insecure Iowa fans but no OSU.

That’s exactly how I felt. Now I will root for teams I absolutely despise to beat them.

Reactions: psuguy43
Because Penn State fans are making a simplistic analysis of Clifford's injury and its impact on the game.

Iowa always plays a safe script in the 1st half before they make adjustments, and they always make adjustments and tighten up the D in the 2nd half. They've done this for what, all of Ferentz's tenure, and especially so the last 3-4 years where they haven't given up more than 24 points.

It was 14-3 (before FG) when Clifford threw 3 consecutive incompletes and then got his bell rung by LB Jack Campbell with a clean hit. In essence, Iowa's D is responsible for Clifford's injury, but somehow this doesn't factor into the equation when we're talking about which team is better?

Iowa marches down the field on the next drive and makes it 17-10. That's one possession midway through the 2nd quarter at home, in one of the loudest stadiums in America.

Clifford also had 2 interceptions in one quarter. Isn't it possible he throws more?

I watch a ton of college football and have seen Iowa countless times. PSU's last two losses are against Iowa, including a blowout in Happy Valley, but that never seems to matter. They stopped Clifford last year with 2 INTs as well.

Anyway, any who has seen a Phil Parker-coached defense knows that defense would've made adjustments and the outcome would've been a coin flip, not a convincing PSU victory.

America is infatuated with sexy teams and high powered offenses. That's not Iowa, but they're something like 31-8 over the last 4 seasons with no loss in double digits.

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK
Because Penn State fans are making a simplistic analysis of Clifford's injury and its impact on the game.

Iowa always plays a safe script in the 1st half before they make adjustments, and they always make adjustments and tighten up the D in the 2nd half. They've done this for what, all of Ferentz's tenure, and especially so the last 3-4 years where they haven't given up more than 24 points.

It was 14-3 (before FG) when Clifford threw 3 consecutive incompletes and then got his bell rung by LB Jack Campbell with a clean hit. In essence, Iowa's D is responsible for Clifford's injury, but somehow this doesn't factor into the equation when we're talking about which team is better?

Iowa marches down the field on the next drive and makes it 17-10. That's one possession midway through the 2nd quarter at home, in one of the loudest stadiums in America.

Clifford also had 2 interceptions in one quarter. Isn't it possible he throws more?

I watch a ton of college football and have seen Iowa countless times. PSU's last two losses are against Iowa, including a blowout in Happy Valley, but that never seems to matter. They stopped Clifford last year with 2 INTs as well.

Anyway, any who has seen a Phil Parker-coached defense knows that defense would've made adjustments and the outcome would've been a coin flip, not a convincing PSU victory.

America is infatuated with sexy teams and high powered offenses. That's not Iowa, but they're something like 31-8 over the last 4 seasons with no loss in double digits.

B1G West. Thanks.

Off topic: What’s the Penn State / Iowa series since PSU entered the league in 1993?

I’d bet it’s pretty even.

(I just checked: it’s 11 wins each)

The Iowa offense needed to make adjustments too and didn’t. With better field position…which any fan with even a hint of football knowledge would know Clifford would have given PSU, Iowa wouldn’t have scored enough to win. By the way, the sexy teams with high powered offenses win national championships…the slow tempo, plodding offenses don’t….that’s why America is infatuated with them. And the 38 wins have a lot to do with the division you play in.

Is it just their own insecurity
Because almost all of them are low life pieces of shit that just care about football, and they have nothing else to do with their lives. That and they are jealous of us. LeVar Woods is the biggest POS in college football, and I now have zero respect for Kirk or his son who was handed their OC position from his daddy. I hope they lose the rest of their games. I would even root for OSU over them, and whether it’s us or OSU, we either team is going to hang 50+ on them in the B10 championship game.

Last edited:

Your take is every bit as simplistic as those you criticize. But I get it. It's natural to extrapolate stats which you like and ignore those you don't.

Reactions: Nittany_93

Well said! It would have been 17-10 the next time Clifford came into the game. A one score possession.

But how dare you bring factual logic like that to a board of woulda, shoulda, coulda based reasonings!

Well said! It would have been 17-10 the next time Clifford came into the game. A one score possession.

But how dare you bring factual logic like that to a board of woulda, shoulda, coulda based reasonings!
Logic. With Clifford in the game, Iowa wouldn't have had the field position they had. Wouldn't have near the possessions they had or run near the number plays they ran and the Penn State defense would have been more rested.

Logic. With Clifford in the game, Iowa wouldn't have had the field position they had. Wouldn't have near the possessions they had or run near the number plays they ran and the Penn State defense would have been more rested.
Again. You have no idea what "would've" happened because it didn't, and nothing will ever change the course of written history. Clifford had thrown 2 picks and 25 passes already when he went out early in the game.

Who is to say Cliff wouldn't have thrown more interceptions and/or had some sack fumbles throwing so much? Iowa knew you weren't going to run the ball for many yards right? That's an example of me making excuses for something that never happened.. See how I did that?

Clifford going down certainly affected the game but to say what would've, could've and should've happend is just hearsay.

"What if's" are nothing but excuses.

Caveat: it's all supposition and speculation.

Now, having said that, we saw what Iowa's offense did. We don't have to speculate. Even with Penn State's offense being virtually nonexistent and Iowa playing much of the 2nd half in Penn State territory, Iowa managed 23 total points and did not take the lead until well into the 4th quarter. Penn State already had 17 points and more than 150 yards of offense when Clifford got hurt. Is it possible that Iowa would have kept Penn State from scoring 7 more points the rest of the game when it had already scored 17 in a quarterand a half? Sure, it's possible. Just not very likely. But again it's all supposition and speculation. Iowa won. That's it.

Again. You have no idea what "would've" happened because it didn't, and nothing will ever change the course of written history. Clifford had thrown 2 picks and 25 passes already when he went out early in the game.

Who is to say Cliff wouldn't have thrown more interceptions and/or had some sack fumbles throwing so much? Iowa knew you weren't going to run the ball for many yards right? That's an example of me making excuses for something that never happened.. See how I did that?

Clifford going down certainly affected the game but to say what would've, could've and should've happend is just hearsay.

"What if's" are nothing but excuses.
Of course nobody knows the actual outcome. But i think the percentage of a different outcome is pretty high.

Yeah, Penn State isn't Iowa. Penn State is not capable of making their own adjustments. They are stoopid and Iowa is smart.

Caveat: it's all supposition and speculation.

Now, having said that, we saw what Iowa's offense did. We don't have to speculate. Even with Penn State's offense being virtually nonexistent and Iowa playing much of the 2nd half in Penn State territory, Iowa managed 23 total points and did not take the lead until well into the 4th quarter. Penn State already had 17 points and more than 150 yards of offense when Clifford got hurt. Is it possible that Iowa would have kept Penn State from scoring 7 more points the rest of the game when it had already scored 17 in a quarterand a half? Sure, it's possible. Just not very likely. But again it's all supposition and speculation. Iowa won. That's it.
Supposition is 100% correct. Iowa did score 20 points against a top defense somehow after Clifford went down. Just enough to seal the deal.

Ferentz has never cared about offensive stats. As long as they win by 1 it's all that matters.

Lots of different ways to get there. Chew clock, slow the game down, run "old school" ISO plays with a FB and 2 TE sets. Win field position battles, and have above average special teams all around.

Kirk adheres to the talents of the 2 and 3 star players Iowa specifically recruits. He is a systematic coach who gets a lot out of the players they "develop" in house. It works for the most part even if it's not "sexy"

Reactions: hawkssox1
I bought tickets late, so SeatGeek sat me right in the middle of the Penn State section along the east grandstand next to the north EZ. About 70 rows up. Great view.

I chatted amiably with PSU fans, while they chatted amiably with the surrounding Hawk fans. Yes, there was some fun trash talking and excessive cheering on both sides, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We all parted on good terms and said our well wishes.

The two young Penn State dudes (college age) in front of me were pretty cocky, but it was fun chatting with them and they were having a blast and couldn't believe how loud the stadium got. Something like 120 decibles, they told me. They said Kinnick is their second fav B10 stadium environment besides Beaver.

tl;dr? The anger and outrage seen on message boards is not representative of real people and real fans. Yea, Iowa fans booed, but so what? Kinnick serves beer, everyone was drunk (including many PSU fans), and we'd seen fakers before, including your own #17.

Reactions: hawkssox1
I do wonder if Penn State fans hanker for the days of going regularly to Maryland, Temple, WV and Pitt. I mean, those football environments just strike me as so bland. (Maybe WV is the exception, I don't know)

Supposition is 100% correct. Iowa did score 20 points against a top defense somehow after Clifford went down. Just enough to seal the deal.

Ferentz has never cared about offensive stats. As long as they win by 1 it's all that matters.

Lots of different ways to get there. Chew clock, slow the game down, run "old school" ISO plays with a FB and 2 TE sets. Win field position battles, and have above average special teams all around.

Kirk adheres to the talents of the 2 and 3 star players Iowa specifically recruits. He is a systematic coach who gets a lot out of the players they "develop" in house. It works for the most part even if it's not "sexy"

You scored 20 points by getting the ball, over and over again, at midfield.

You got the ball repeatedly at midfield because of a rooking QB playing his first meaningful game and constantly having have our punter punt out of the endzone.

Had Clifford stayed in the game and PSU didn't score more than 20, I like PSU's odds to get a few first downs and pin Iowa back inside its own 20. Iowa managed 23 when playing on half a field.

I do wonder if Penn State fans hanker for the days of going regularly to Maryland, Temple, WV and Pitt. I mean, those football environments just strike me as so bland. (Maybe WV is the exception, I don't know)
We also went to Miami, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, ATM, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC etc. Places most B10 teams didn't dare to venture.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT