ADVERTISEMENT

Why Did Kuntz Transfer Out?

He had been talked about as a Red Zone TE and never really got many snaps down there or at all. Why play him when we can throw corner fades to Smurfs?? : )

Followed a Coach who knew him well and how to utilize his strengths and then flourished at ODU. Good for him!
Yes... I would have thought they could figure out some way to utilize a 6' 7" receiver with 4.55 forty speed unless there were other issues. It seems odd to me that he would get selected in the 7th round as well. This mentions some of his negatives. scouting report

Reactions: psrurock
I assumed playing time.
Sometimes size and speed aren't enough. The position requires you to block and catch passes and Kuntz couldn't do either when he came to PSU (in contrast to Friermuth who had more ordinary measurables but could do both from day one.)

Wonderful athlete, and it was great that he could go to ODU and get playing experience and that led to his NFL shot.

Is there any way we can let all the internet coaches be analysts? We would never lose a game. Would there ever be a drive we do not score a TD?

Reactions: Frabjous
He had been talked about as a Red Zone TE and never really got many snaps down there or at all. Why play him when we can throw corner fades to Smurfs?? : )

Followed a Coach who knew him well and how to utilize his strengths and then flourished at ODU. Good for him!
The smurfs outweighed him at the time.

I don't think he's been a good enough blocker to have worked in the frame of our offense. Remember, he came in with Pat F and was the higher rated prospect. Strange followed then Johnson after that. Strange was a HS WR who converted to TE (he was recruited as such, not an arrival change). I think he exceeded expectations quickly and saw the field.

Kuntz probably ends up with playing time had he waited it out, but I think this is a great case of the portal. He went to a lower level (G of 5) and did very well. He'll probably do okay in a Gesicki type roll (pure pass catching TE).

Reactions: NedFromYork
At the time, he wasn't a great blocker. When he was at PSU he was long and lanky with a high center of gravity. PSU now does a lot of run blocking with our TEs and he suffered in that area while the other TEs could both block and catch. I believe ZK's tight end coach, Tyler Bowen, left PSU to take over as TE coach of the Jacksonville jags under Urban. He's now OC at VaTech.

Well at least he didn't get drafted in the first round or as high as Levis. This board would have imploded.

Sometimes size and speed aren't enough. The position requires you to block and catch passes and Kuntz couldn't do either when he came to PSU (in contrast to Friermuth who had more ordinary measurables but could do both from day one.)

Wonderful athlete, and it was great that he could go to ODU and get playing experience and that led to his NFL shot.
Kuntz transferring out is as simple as this: Strange, Warren, and Johnson were/are all amazing in their own ways.

How many tight ends in the last 20 years of PSU football were better than those guys?

I'd say maybe Quarless (when he wasn't in Joe's Doghouse), maybe Kyle Carter, and definitely Freiermuth, but that's really it.

Gesicki gets his own category as his blocking, while not very good and occasionally laughable, was okay and his athleticism was beyond belief.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Kuntz transferring out is as simple as this: Strange, Warren, and Johnson were/are all amazing in their own ways.

How many tight ends in the last 20 years of PSU football were better than those guys?

I'd say maybe Quarless (when he wasn't in Joe's Doghouse), maybe Kyle Carter, and definitely Freiermuth, but that's really it.

Gesicki gets his own category as his blocking, while not very good and occasionally laughable, was okay and his athleticism was beyond belief.

He is 6'7+ with a 40" vertical. His height + vertical might is probably near the top in the HISTORY of the NFL. Is there some reason we could not use him in the redzone?

He is 6'7+ with a 40" vertical. His height + vertical might is probably near the top in the HISTORY of the NFL. Is there some reason we could not use him in the redzone?
What, for some fade patterns?

ANY pattern you want.

6'7 + 40" vertical does not need separation to be open.

He cant block?? Dont use him as a blocker!! Can he catch?
When a guy is on the field that has a huge weakness, like blocking, it is a "tell". Basically, DCs wait until they see the offensive package. they see who is on the field, they have a sheet showing play tendencies. with that package and call the defense accordingly. If you've got a TE that can't block, you can easily load up his zone and play pass because there is a portion of the offense you don't have to cover.

Its like a batter that can't hit a curveball. Would you throw him anything but a curveball?

Players that have balance are more valuable because they don't show tendencies. This makes the other team have to cover the entire field and all possible plays. You are really playing 10 on 11.

Reactions: Fac and NedFromYork
Kuntz's problems are not physical or his athletic ability. He has these more than almost all others. They are not effort based. He just is not a physical player, even though he is huge. He has difficulties with jams at line of scrimmage even though he is huge and athletic. He has poor ball skills which eliminates much of his size advantage and goal line usage. I hope he becomes an all-pro, but lack of physicality and ball skills are traits that are difficult to overcome.

When a guy is on the field that has a huge weakness, like blocking, it is a "tell". Basically, DCs wait until they see the offensive package. they see who is on the field, they have a sheet showing play tendencies. with that package and call the defense accordingly. If you've got a TE that can't block, you can easily load up his zone and play pass because there is a portion of the offense you don't have to cover.

Its like a batter that can't hit a curveball. Would you throw him anything but a curveball?

Players that have balance are more valuable because they don't show tendencies. This makes the other team have to cover the entire field and all possible plays. You are really playing 10 on 11.

Yes and NO. He is still 6'7 with a 40" vertical. Unless they have Shaq as a DB they will not be able to defend a pass to the back of the endzone.

Gesicki, Jesse James and many receivers are lousy blockers. Was that a tell?

2 of the many you mentioned are very good receivers. They have enough receiving ability and ball skills that you might know its coming yet it's still tough to defend.

If it were merely as simple as you state, wouldn't every coach recruit one 7' guy just to out jump everybody at the goal line?

Yes and NO. He is still 6'7 with a 40" vertical. Unless they have Shaq as a DB they will not be able to defend a pass to the back of the endzone.

well, you body him out and don't let him jump. Easy peasy. As you say, if height was the factor, you'd have 7-2 kids playing football just for that play.

I'd like to add that he played for ODU, not in the BIG. We have at least 6 TE's that would kick ass vs ODU's competition.

Than make him a WR?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT