ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

I'll say it. Injured and burnt out. He had a really good career. Had he gone to PSU, likely a multi time champ, and likely would still be 'having fun'.
Had he gone to Penn St. he would not have started as hew would have been behind a three timer in Nolf and a likely 4 timer in CStar

I'd be very careful about a social media post like that unless something changed with the PIAA.

About seven or eight years ago we posted something similar and it turned into a fiasco because having guys in your room that aren't on staff working out with your kids is no-no. Even though that's where all of our college guys end up for a workout during break.

Didn't change anything in reality but for a few years our coaches were very gunshy about it. As we all know the PIAA stink eye is very random and you never know who it's going to turn on.

Hopefully, Matt and Miller were designated voluntary staff and cleared with their AD before posting.

I know the news of this fight has already been posted but man am I hyped up! We're going to win another National Championship on March 23rd, Bo is going to steam roll through another dude on April 13th, then Olympic trials start on April 19th.
Spring is going to be AWESOME for PSU fans.

Wrong board.

Turk:
NS_derails.jpg

I'd be very careful about a social media post like that unless something changed with the PIAA.

About seven or eight years ago we posted something similar and it turned into a fiasco because having guys in your room that aren't on staff working out with your kids is no-no. Even though that's where all of our college guys end up for a workout during break.

Didn't change anything in reality but for a few years our coaches were very gunshy about it. As we all know the PIAA stink eye is very random and you never know who it's going to turn on.

Hopefully, Matt and Miller were designated voluntary staff and cleared with their AD before posting.
I have 0 idea what you're worried about here. Matt graduated years ago and is from Kiski. He's allowed to be there if they opened the door for him. We used to have college guys come back every year, certain years they'd be having "college" practice.

I hope this works. I created what I think might be my Mona Lisa
I've spent years honing my skills on HR in pursuit of the perfect troll job on Hawk fans. I'm now left to myself, continuously revisiting your post....realizing that I'm nothing but a mere mortal.

You sir are King...

I have 0 idea what you're worried about here. Matt graduated years ago and is from Kiski. He's allowed to be there if they opened the door for him. We used to have college guys come back every year, certain years they'd be having "college" practice.
That's exactly it. If you read my post, this is exactly what happened to us. "Allowed to be" means a very different thing to your coaches than it does to the PIAA.

Technically, you are not allowed to have non-staff in your room working with your wrestlers during the season. It doesn't matter if they are alums if they are not part of your staff. Yes, it happens all the time. But when you post it on social media, you risk the wrong people getting a bee in their bonnet about it.

We have had dozens of alumni coming back to our room for years. About 5 or 6 years ago, we posted something on social media just like Kiski did. It caused a problem. Again, maybe the rules have changed, but I doubt it.

Part of the concern is the Sandusky rules, I'm sure. Heck, when my youngest was still in HS, the parents who volunteered to work in the concession stand were required to get a background check. This was probably done at the district level out of an abundance of caution, and I don't know if they backed off since then, but that was a concern back then.

Reactions: hlstone
That's pretty cool. Didn't they do something similar in football with the money from T Boone Pickens?(don't remember if that's his name or not). Didn't really change their football program much. I don't expect it will make any improvement with their wrestling either but who knows, I'm getting old and out of touch.

"It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5 am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas"

-Marvin Hagler

That's exactly it. If you read my post, this is exactly what happened to us. "Allowed to be" means a very different thing to your coaches than it does to the PIAA.

Technically, you are not allowed to have non-staff in your room working with your wrestlers during the season. It doesn't matter if they are alums if they are not part of your staff. Yes, it happens all the time. But when you post it on social media, you risk the wrong people getting a bee in their bonnet about it.

We have had dozens of alumni coming back to our room for years. About 5 or 6 years ago, we posted something on social media just like Kiski did. It caused a problem. Again, maybe the rules have changed, but I doubt it.
Former School Board member here ... I believe that any adults that have direct contact with minors (students) are required to have multiple "clearances", This even applies to parents who volunteer for supervision of field trips. Recently, this has moved up the chain to higher education, due to college students that are under 18 y/o.

To the best of my knowledge, that’s the rule where I coach as well. The inhibitor to that for us is that our school board processes volunteer paperwork extremely slowly so our alums who’re in town over the holidays are practically handcuffed by the process. Our HC’s stepson just finished up his military training for the Army and he isn’t allowed in the room while he’s home on leave. His brother is a Marine and is in the same boat. Sucks that it has to be that way

Former School Board member here ... I believe that any adults that have direct contact with minors (students) are required to have multiple "clearances", This even applies to parents who volunteer for supervision of field trips. Recently, this has moved up the chain to higher education, due to college students that are under 18 y/o.
So this post means MM has no clearances. I feel like we are trying to find a problem.

So this post means MM has no clearances. I feel like we are trying to find a problem.
Doesn't mean he doesn't have clearances... only that if he is working with students, then clearances are required. If he works out at the HS regularly, it might be worth his (or the HS) investment. This is a requirement by PA Dept of Education; sometimes PIAA gets blamed for athletic activities, but it's bigger than that. This rule and been in place for almost a decade now. As BIGFELLA describes, it's a big PIA and has made it almost impossible to find enough true (unpaid) volunteers as some of the clearances are not free. My wife was a university professor and one of her assignments was to observe / grade student teachers. She was required to keep her clearances up to date, because she went into the public school classrooms too observe the student teachers.

he doesn't have clearances... only that if he is working with students, then clearances are required
I've volunteered last and this school year, at a public schools. I've done so both with and without being subject to a background clearance.

The background check and clearance is only a needed when (or to be) left alone in contact with students (i.e., when duties make this a reasonable expectation). This excludes incidental passing by, such as on the way to an adult restroom. It also excludes whenever students are in line of sight of and can be reasonably protected by licensed teachers (who have their own background check requirements).

One can be a more valued Teacher's Assistant when they can be left alone. It's less stressful to follow the rules. It also enables teacher bathroom breaks during class time without a call for coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT