ADVERTISEMENT

WR Coach

Who do we hire that can cement our connection with Julian Flemming? This is an important hire, and a really important hire at this time. We must find a WR coach who has an established history of getting WRs to the next level. Flemming is the big prize for the 2020 recruiting cycle, and he's from our back yard. Losing a high value, home town player like Flemming would be bad for the program.

It's only important that CJF has a name, what we have makes no difference.

true and he may already but by state law the position has to be posted for up to one week i believe and all the background checks and stuff have to be done before they can officially hire someone which is why i think this week someone will be hired

Once again, you nailed it.
Has CJF ever hired a new assistant from outside the program that anyone has called or predicted? Morehead, Bowen, Smith, Limegrower, Sieder, and Corley all were out of nowhere and all but Corley were good hires. I’m actually excited to see who he brings in. Corley was an aberration due to Sieder becoming available and CJF having to find a spot for Corley. I’m thinking it will be a home run.

Awesome! Not sure who or where you expect to hear from on this first? I tend to listen to 1-2 trusted guys.
To your point...it’s almost amazing how unconnected traditional media are that follow this program.

Sounds like he is going through a background check and very well may be a new PSU coach. Looks like he has good coaching experience in the South and played at Purdue for two years.

I am not sure i like this does not have alot on his resume at the FBS level or FCS level.

Has CJF ever hired a new assistant from outside the program that anyone has called or predicted? Morehead, Bowen, Smith, Limegrower, Sieder, and Corley all were out of nowhere and all but Corley were good hires. I’m actually excited to see who he brings in. Corley was an aberration due to Sieder becoming available and CJF having to find a spot for Corley. I’m thinking it will be a home run.
Can somebody do a tree showing every coach CJF worked with, either at the same team, at a camp, or even sat next to in a meeting once? We need to figure out who the possible candidates might be. Or, we could just wait, but that isn’t fun.

Wow. It is interesting when you look at who Day is hiring and who Franklin is hiring. If Franklin is hiring this guy, but also in general. Gotta admit Franklin has a mix of proven experience and not so much experience.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Wow. It is interesting when you look at who Day is hiring and who Franklin is hiring. If Franklin is hiring this guy, but also in general. Gotta admit Franklin has a mix of proven experience and not so much experience.

It doesn’t look like Day is bringing in great, young recruiters. Lots of old guys. Meyer was one of the greatest recruiters of all time, so it didn’t hurt him to have older coaches on staff. Can not imagine, at this point, Day is even half as good as scUM in his prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
Derrick Sherman coached Samford WR Kelvin McKnight this past season (only). McKnight, a senior, was in the top tier of FCS statistics for a receiver and was an AP 2nd team FCS All-America (his QB was as well). Sherman is light on coaching experience. Maybe CJF has identified Sherman as an up-and-comer, but, as cvilleelkscoach noted above, I see no indication on his Twitter page that he has connections to PSU. If he's actually in the mix for the PSU job, perhaps Franklin liked Sherman's work at a camp and received a strong recommendation on him..

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Franklin really values recruiting prowess. I actually like his model. No more Galen Hall or Ted Roof.

Franklin really values recruiting prowess. I actually like his model. No more Galen Hall or Ted Roof.

i agree with you - he clearly weighs that more heavily than specific coaching experience (i.e. years as position coach, some NFL experience, etc). it works for him, and you have to give him credit he has built a strong recruiting organization. at times the actual play on the field can come up a little short as these coaches gain experience. as long as they are not always turning over it can work fine.

the polar opposite model is strong experience in the specific experience and use the HC and maybe one other guy as the core recruiter (i.e. Urban model). this has worked great for tOSU. It also appears to be the UMich approach (although they also use the free agent market). this depends totally on the name and image of HC.

it looks like Bama and Clemson use a kind of blend, although the Clemson staff seems to turnover a lot less.

Derrick Sherman coached Samford WR Kelvin McKnight this past season (only). McKnight, a senior, was in the top tier of FCS statistics for a receiver and was an AP 2nd team FCS All-America (his QB was as well). Sherman is light on coaching experience. Maybe CJF has identified Sherman as an up-and-comer, but, as cvilleelkscoach noted above, I see no indication on his Twitter page that he has connections to PSU. If he's actually in the mix for the PSU job, perhaps Franklin liked Sherman's work at a camp and received a strong recommendation on him..
I believe Sherman was at Georgia State and PSU had a camp there a couple years ago

If it is him seems like a very cheap hire, yes he maybe an up and comer but he has very little experience at coaching or even recruiting at the FBS level.

If it is him seems like a very cheap hire, yes he maybe an up and comer but he has very little experience at coaching or even recruiting at the FBS level.

Why would you be expecting anything other than a 'cheap hire'? Have you seen where our assistants salaries rank in the Big Ten?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT