ADVERTISEMENT

WR Coach

Why would you be expecting anything other than a 'cheap hire'? Have you seen where our assistants salaries rank in the Big Ten?

Well because our AD said she has approved Franklin was going to be able to pay more his assistants in her press conference in Orlando after she got here extension.

I would like to see a little more experience on the staff. Get some gray hair. You can’t be elite with coaches with little experience. We aren’t running a training school for coaches.
If it’s the jimmies and the joes that count, a young guy would likely be able to relate with kids and recruit well. Of course, a big name coach would also be able to recruit well.

Well because our AD said she has approved Franklin was going to be able to pay more his assistants in her press conference in Orlando after she got here extension.

Good to hear but I'll believe it when I see it

If it’s the jimmies and the joes that count, a young guy would likely be able to relate with kids and recruit well. Of course, a big name coach would also be able to recruit well.

I am not sure he is even talking big name coach just one who has more experience this guy has like a total of 6 years total and has only spent 3 of those years with Willie Fitz who isnt know for his passing offense.

LSHIPM

Question:

When was the last time an AC at PSU DIDN’T see his salary gonup from one year to the next.

I would hope they get some sort of boost in there salary every year with either incentives or just the fact of cost of living raise

I am not sure he is even talking big name coach just one who has more experience this guy has like a total of 6 years total and has only spent 3 of those years with Willie Fitz who isnt know for his passing offense.
Whomever he hires is likely to have more experience than a guy from Army. ;) I do empathize with Corley though. He was hired as a RB coach and was a team player by switching to WR. Hope he finds a good landing spot.

If they paid Rahne $2.5 Million a year..... would he be a better coach?

Folks who think paying assistants more money is some panacea........ look to our brethren in AA. LOL. (Or Knoxville, or Tallahassee, or Auburn, or Columbia, or............ )

When it comes to AC salaries, money should follow performance, it certainly doesn't buy it. Look at the recent salary history of Bob Shoop. In his last year at PSU, he made $845k (and received a considerable boost from the previous year). He moved to UTk, and got $1.15mm p.a. Was swept out with Butch Jones. Landed at Mississippi State where he makes $400k and won the Broyles Award. Did he become any better or worse a coach over that span? And Manny Diaz has an even wilder roller coaster.

Reality is that when a coach gets significant salary boost, either by moving to a new program or remaining at the same school, whether it's a lateral move or an ostensible promotion, it's based on an eye test, and the orbs belong to the head coach. No analytics are involved. It's anarchy and the inmates are running the asylum.

Reactions: CbusLion10
I would like to see a little more experience on the staff. Get some gray hair. You can’t be elite with coaches with little experience. We aren’t running a training school for coaches.
In all fairness, if I'm not mistaken, JoePa hired a position coach who only had high school coaching experience. That Larry Johnson Sr. guy turned out to be a pretty good.

392.7 ypg passing 2nd in FCS this just finished season..... If I am ever accused of capital murder, will you be my defense attorney? incredible number of receivers involved in the passing game (effectively) and one coached up to 145 ypg. Seems the guy (though young) may know how to coach recievers.

Last edited:
Can we try another service academy coach. How many passes did Navy throw this season
To be fair, he was brought on before Seider and moved over. I mean little things like facts sometimes ruin a good made up rant. I'm pretty happy he pulled Seider, but maybe you think he should have gotten a better WR coach instead of him.

Reactions: Aloha T and BBrown
I quickly looked at his followers and who he is following. I didn’t see anyone with psu ties.

You are missing the point the other poster said he was following and be followed by psu players and coaches. I found none in this Twitter account.

Correct, the only Penn State staffer and player I see that he is following and is following him on Twitter is Will Flaherty, the Penn State Football Director of Player Development

well according to wikipedia Mike Bellamy is a canidate for the WR job, he is currently at Toledo but worked at Illinois as WR coach (2012-15)

I don't believe that's true. What she said was that CJF has been asking her for a number, and she gave him a number. It was implied that the numbers being referenced were the assistant coach salary budgets. It was not stated if the number Barbor gave was what CJF was asking for, or even how it compared to the current salary budgets.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Lots of disappointments here if it's not Larry Fitzgerald, Jerry Rice, or Hines Ward.

well according to wikipedia Mike Bellamy is a canidate for the WR job, he is currently at Toledo but worked at Illinois as WR coach (2012-15)
lol, ok, let's go with wiki as our source... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bellamy

Coaching career
Mike Bellamy is currently a candidate for the open Penn State University WR coaching position. He is currently coaching WRs for the University of Toledo and was previously on staff at Mississippi State University as Offensive Quality Control/Analyst(2016- Present) Mike spent four seasons on the Illinois staff (2012–15), including three as an assistant coach. He was promoted to wide receivers coach in February 2013 after serving one year as assistant director of player personnel and relations (2012).

While earning Big Ten Wide Receiver coach of the year for 2014, under Bellamy’s guidance, freshman receiver Mike Dudek burst onto the scene in 2014, as the newcomer posted a team-high 76 catches with six touchdowns and 1,038 yards, which broke Arrelious Benn’s school record for receiving yards by a freshman (676 in 2007). He was named second-team All-Big Ten, first-team Freshman All-America by Scout.com and first-team True-Freshman All-America by ESPN.com and 247sports.

In 2013, Bellamy molded an unheralded group of receivers into one that helped Illinois record the most total passing yards in a season in school history (3,452) and third-most passing yards per game (287.7). He guided Steve Hull’s transition from defensive back to receiver in Hull’s final season, helping him rank in the top 10 in school history in season receiving yards (993), season touchdown catches (seven) and season 100-yard receiving games (five). Hull also was the nation’s most prolific receiver over the final four weeks of the season, posting 653 yards and six touchdowns on 40 catches (16.3 ypc) during that span[2]

Reactions: 81b&w
lol, ok, let's go with wiki as our source... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bellamy

Coaching career
Mike Bellamy is currently a candidate for the open Penn State University WR coaching position. He is currently coaching WRs for the University of Toledo and was previously on staff at Mississippi State University as Offensive Quality Control/Analyst(2016- Present) Mike spent four seasons on the Illinois staff (2012–15), including three as an assistant coach. He was promoted to wide receivers coach in February 2013 after serving one year as assistant director of player personnel and relations (2012).

While earning Big Ten Wide Receiver coach of the year for 2014, under Bellamy’s guidance, freshman receiver Mike Dudek burst onto the scene in 2014, as the newcomer posted a team-high 76 catches with six touchdowns and 1,038 yards, which broke Arrelious Benn’s school record for receiving yards by a freshman (676 in 2007). He was named second-team All-Big Ten, first-team Freshman All-America by Scout.com and first-team True-Freshman All-America by ESPN.com and 247sports.

In 2013, Bellamy molded an unheralded group of receivers into one that helped Illinois record the most total passing yards in a season in school history (3,452) and third-most passing yards per game (287.7). He guided Steve Hull’s transition from defensive back to receiver in Hull’s final season, helping him rank in the top 10 in school history in season receiving yards (993), season touchdown catches (seven) and season 100-yard receiving games (five). Hull also was the nation’s most prolific receiver over the final four weeks of the season, posting 653 yards and six touchdowns on 40 catches (16.3 ypc) during that span[2]
Hi picture was on a Fitz article on 247 as well. I think that is the source for the wiki entry.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

Coaching career

https://herald-review.com/sports/co...cle_458e191b-d096-5cdf-9821-6b637cb98cc8.html

Dudek is such an unlikely success story. He’s the little man who has played like a giant, a 5-foot-11 true freshman whose only other serious interest came from North Dakota State and Illinois State.

Not only is he short, he has stubby arms, little hands and looks like he’d have a tough time wrapping himself around a tennis ball, no less a football.

And yet never once has he acted like he didn’t belong, making position coach Mike Bellamy look like a genius. It was Bellamy, the former first-team all-Big Ten receiver with the Illini, who spotted potential greatness from the start, telling Dudek by the time he graduated he’d be the school’s all-time leading pass catcher.

That seemed like the most far-fetched recruiting pitch of all time, until Dudek showed up in January and caught virtually everything thrown his direction.

Combining lightning quickness with precise route-running, sticky hands and remarkable toughness, Dudek became a first-team Freshman All-American (Scout.com), second-team All-Big Ten and led the Big Ten in receptions and receiving yards in conference play.

Reactions: 81b&w
Franklin was interviewing some candidates this week down in Texas at the coaches clinic. One of them was Mike Bellamy, who is mentioned above.

Reactions: BBrown
Speaking of WR coaches (or past WR coaches), sources are saying Gattis is leaving Alabama for a coordinator position at another school. My money is on Maryland, which is what has been rumored for a while.

Speaking of WR coaches (or past WR coaches), sources are saying Gattis is leaving Alabama for a coordinator position at another school. My money is on Maryland, which is what has been rumored for a while.

Yea the thinking around here is that Gattis would follow Locksley to MD.
I'm skeptical for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is where is MD getting the money to pay their
assts more than Bama? and FYI Its not UnderArmour.
Second, Gattis could move right on up to the OC position instead of Co-OC.
Third, I think you'd have to have a screw loose to attach your star to Locksley over Saban.:eek:

I'm skeptical for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is where is MD getting the money to pay their
Third, I think you'd have to have a screw loose to attach your star to Locksley over Saban.:eek:
that assumes that Saban was going to offer him the OC job- or keep him on staff

Reactions: BBrown

Gattis was passed over for the Bama OC position (again)

Wow I am shocked. Thats a bold and IMO very, very iffy move by Gattis.
It’s a good move if it gives him actual playcalling duties. Even a sole “offensive coordinator” title instead of being a co-OC (without primary playcalling duties, no less) is an upgrade and another rung up the ladder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT