ADVERTISEMENT

WR George Campbell commits to Penn State

Art, do you know if he'll be a redshirt junior in the 2019 season?

He's a redshirt senior for sure (played in '15, '17 and '18). But I'm wondering if he could qualify for a 6th year. Looks like he sat out 2016 with an injury, then only played in the first 4 games of 2017 before getting injured again and missing the remainder of that season. Without knowing all of the details though, I'm not positive how that works out.

Reactions: step.eng69
He's a redshirt senior for sure (played in '15, '17 and '18). But I'm wondering if he could qualify for a 6th year. Looks like he sat out 2016 with an injury, then only played in the first 4 games of 2017 before getting injured again and missing the remainder of that season. Without knowing all of the details though, I'm not positive how that works out.

Where do you see that he sat out 2016 with an injury?

Addendum: Found it. Apparently he sat out 2016 while recovering from off-season hip surgery. Same issue sidelined him for most of 2017. Looks like he could petition for a sixth year.

Last edited:

Where do you see that he sat out 2016 with an injury?

Addendum: Found it. Apparently he sat out 2016 while recovering from off-season hip surgery. Same issue sidelined him for most of 2017. Looks like he could petition for a sixth year.

He will be "5th Year"... FWIW
Thank you gentlemen, the reason I asked, I saw a FSU web illustration mentioning the lad as RS jr. I dont have the allowable time at work to reasearch these kids, I just tune in at times for the latest chatter.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, the reason I asked, I saw a FSU web illustration mentioning the lad as RS jr. I dont have the allowable time at work to reasearch these kids, I just tune in at times for the latest chatter.

has he officially graduated from FSU? If not, how does he apply as a grad transfer? is there some kind of contingent rule that says he can apply but if he does not actually graduate, then his transfer cancels out? In the past for the PSU GTs i think all of them had graduated in the fall and were coming to PSU as 5th year players.

i am not familiar with how the grad transfer system has worked as it has just not been that big a thing. At every university there are always kids who apply to graduate in a given term but something goes wrong, and they dont get done till the following term or two. for a 5th year player, they would not be able to transfer as an undergrad and sit out as their year is already gone by using RS and the 5 year clock eliminates their ability to play anymore. this would really screw a GT's plans if they fail to graduate in the spring/summer before final season. with the # of GTs this year over the nation, it will be surprising that this does not come up somewhere.

has he officially graduated from FSU? If not, how does he apply as a grad transfer? is there some kind of contingent rule that says he can apply but if he does not actually graduate, then his transfer cancels out? In the past for the PSU GTs i think all of them had graduated in the fall and were coming to PSU as 5th year players.

i am not familiar with how the grad transfer system has worked as it has just not been that big a thing. At every university there are always kids who apply to graduate in a given term but something goes wrong, and they dont get done till the following term or two. for a 5th year player, they would not be able to transfer as an undergrad and sit out as their year is already gone by using RS and the 5 year clock eliminates their ability to play anymore. this would really screw a GT's plans if they fail to graduate in the spring/summer before final season. with the # of GTs this year over the nation, it will be surprising that this does not come up somewhere.

It's no different than a high school prospect committing before he graduates. His admission is contingent on graduation.

Penn State has had one graduate transfer, Kevin Reihner. His intention to transfer was announced in early 2015, he graduated from Stanford at the end of the Spring term later that year, and joined PSU shortly thereafter.

It's no different than a high school prospect committing before he graduates. His admission is contingent on graduation.

Penn State has had one graduate transfer, Kevin Reihner. His intention to transfer was announced in early 2015, he graduated from Stanford at the end of the Spring term later that year, and joined PSU shortly thereafter.

that makes sense. so the novel scenario for a GT is that they were in a college. if they announce they are GT and then fail to graduate on time, they are really screwed if their current school has eliminated them from scholarship roster. they could come back to their old school as a walk-on player - a bit odd.

that makes sense. so the novel scenario for a GT is that they were in a college. if they announce they are GT and then fail to graduate on time, they are really screwed if their current school has eliminated them from scholarship roster. they could come back to their old school as a walk-on player - a bit odd.

A grad transfer is no different from any other transfer except that the grad transfer doesn't have to sit out a year (without the benefit of a lawyer).

One would think that a prospective grad transfer would have a good handle on his progress toward degree, though I'm told that Reihner had to haul ass during his last term at Stanford.

The reason he is listed as RS Jr is perhaps because he hasn't graduated yet. When fall rolls up, he will be a RS Sr. Outside of a medical hardship waiver, he's got one year left .

The reason he is listed as RS Jr is perhaps because he hasn't graduated yet. When fall rolls up, he will be a RS Sr. Outside of a medical hardship waiver, he's got one year left .
Yep, seems to be the consensus with the other posts, thanks. Let's get back to some serious discussion and join in on "snow flakes" latte cereal breakfast.

Reactions: Locolion
A grad transfer is no different from any other transfer except that the grad transfer doesn't have to sit out a year (without the benefit of a lawyer).

One would think that a prospective grad transfer would have a good handle on his progress toward degree, though I'm told that Reihner had to haul ass during his last term at Stanford.

you would think they would know if they are on track or not - or someone in their FB office has been keeping them on track. normal students frequently have issues in their final year. one of my kids was a top student and screwed up a small item, and had to take a course in the summer and missed spring grad. he was able to walk in the spring with his friends, but legally did not graduate till summer. even his college advisor screwed up. it would be interesting if this happened to one of the many GTs in the portal. imagine they would think a lawyer could bail them out.

Another weld in the Florida pipeline. Any contribution and depth provided is going to be a positive with current expectations as they stand.

Maybe that is what this is largely about, give the kid one last chance while letting his high school coach seeing PSU giving him that chance.

well lookie, lookie, lookie at who is returning to PSU on the coaching staff. I believe he's as a GA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT