ADVERTISEMENT

WrestleStat has transitioned to 2019

andegre

May 18, 2004
Hey WrestleStat fans!

The website has been transitioned to the 2019 season. Go ahead and start updating starters to who they are projected to be for the upcoming season.

Couple things to note:

PreSeason rankings are NOT just the 2018 end of season rankings, less seniors. Since the algorithm has been updated, ALL rankings for every season have been run through the new algorithm, but ONLY the 2019 preseason values were updated. The reason for that is two-fold:
1) Since those other seasons are done, it doesn't make sense to go back and change them, and
2) It would take upwards of almost 8 hours of processing to run through the 100 weeks (5 seasons X ~20 weeks per season) of rankings that would need to be done in the production database

There are no enhancements that come with this release. I'm working on MASSIVE changes to the website, but that code is not ready to be deployed. There are major look-and-feel/theme changes where I have to update every single page on the site, as well as architectural changes like making a schools conference season-specific since we have schools adding/dropping programs or changing conferences on a yearly basis, so it's going to take probably the entire summer.

Now's the best time to get any requests in for modifications/enhancements to the site that aren't already known. Sometime in the future I'll develop a page that will show exactly what I'm working on so it's more transparent...but in the meantime, just send me or obrats a message and will get it added if it's not already on the list. Some examples of changes: "can the site open the videos of matches directly in the site, instead of navigating over to YouTube.com", or "use a voting system for the upcoming, potential feature matches instead of just a yes/no toggle", or "add a chat feature to the dual comparison and box score pages for comments about a specific dual or tournament".

Lastly, if there are any schools that have added or dropped wrestling, or wrestlers that have transferred that aren't reflected on the site yet, please either reply, or send a message to myself or obrats and we can get those changes made.

That's all for now!

https://www.wrestlestat.com

Hey WrestleStat fans!

The website has been transitioned to the 2019 season. Go ahead and start updating starters to who they are projected to be for the upcoming season.

Couple things to note:

PreSeason rankings are NOT just the 2018 end of season rankings, less seniors. Since the algorithm has been updated, ALL rankings for every season have been run through the new algorithm, but ONLY the 2019 preseason values were updated. The reason for that is two-fold:
1) Since those other seasons are done, it doesn't make sense to go back and change them, and
2) It would take upwards of almost 8 hours of processing to run through the 100 weeks (5 seasons X ~20 weeks per season) of rankings that would need to be done in the production database

There are no enhancements that come with this release. I'm working on MASSIVE changes to the website, but that code is not ready to be deployed. There are major look-and-feel/theme changes where I have to update every single page on the site, as well as architectural changes like making a schools conference season-specific since we have schools adding/dropping programs or changing conferences on a yearly basis, so it's going to take probably the entire summer.

Now's the best time to get any requests in for modifications/enhancements to the site that aren't already known. Sometime in the future I'll develop a page that will show exactly what I'm working on so it's more transparent...but in the meantime, just send me or obrats a message and will get it added if it's not already on the list. Some examples of changes: "can the site open the videos of matches directly in the site, instead of navigating over to YouTube.com", or "use a voting system for the upcoming, potential feature matches instead of just a yes/no toggle", or "add a chat feature to the dual comparison and box score pages for comments about a specific dual or tournament".

Lastly, if there are any schools that have added or dropped wrestling, or wrestlers that have transferred that aren't reflected on the site yet, please either reply, or send a message to myself or obrats and we can get those changes made.

That's all for now!

Jered Cortez will not be at PSU next season.

So this is not really a feature request due to its scope but one of the best online historical references (that I know of) for the sport of wrestling is the very similarly named wrestlingstats.com.

I am not familiar with the site enough to know why but it has languished the past few years and doesn't appear to be maintained anymore.

It'd be a real shame to lose that the accessibility of that info going forward and it could be an excellent piece to add at least some of that data to your site.

Anyway, great job with wrestlstat. I just threw you another donation for your efforts.

So this is not really a feature request due to its scope but one of the best online historical references (that I know of) for the sport of wrestling is the very similarly named wrestlingstats.com.

I am not familiar with the site enough to know why but it has languished the past few years and doesn't appear to be maintained anymore.

It'd be a real shame to lose that the accessibility of that info going forward and it could be an excellent piece to add at least some of that data to your site.

Anyway, great job with wrestlstat. I just threw you another donation for your efforts.
An fyi...
When Jay Hammonds passed away, much of wrestlestats ended. He followed and maintained a select-few schools, among them PSU, and provided awesome historical info. While the website wrestlestats.com does not contain up-to-date Penn State info, the Penn State Wrestling Club website, with Ben Niebel at the helm, has loaded, with permission, all of Jay's material, and has been maintaining it ever since.

Thank you very much, sir! Just want to confirm, have I already added you to the "ad-free" version? If not, please send me your username/email address and I'll be sure to add that for you.

Yes, someone pointed me to that site a couple years ago. While I agree that that is something that should ABSOLUTELY be retained, updated, I'm not sure how to handle it. In a sense, they are the "owners" of the data because they took the time to compile and upload/host for others. I don't want to just go and copy all of their stuff and host on my site, unethical without their approval. I'd happily post a link to it on my site, but I don't want it to become dead/stale.

Any thoughts on what to do here, or contact information of the site owner?

I would suggest posting corrections here. andegre does a great job, but has always counted on fans to catch some of the changes, such as guys confirmed to be moving weight classes as we get closer to next season.

Only one I have for now is 141, where tOSU is loaded, with 3 guys in the top-10!!! Guessing Pletcher should be 133 :).

Reactions: andegre
Here's a few suggestions: (1) graduating seniors get their own category so we can continue to find what they did historically. I know the wrestlers stick in the system, e.g., I can go find Zain's matches but only by finding an opponent. So I'd have to search Micah Jordan, then search p 5age for Zain, etc.

(2) Freestyle version, at least for US guys.

Good point on the guys no longer on the roster. Right now, the search is only going against the current season.

Should be a pretty trivial change to have the search span all seasons...

Regarding Freestyle....that's a possibility. I'll need to check to see how much architectural changes would need to be added to accommodate that. Problems I can think of off-hand....wrestlers traning with 1 club team, but participate in all tournaments under Titan Mercury, since they seem to sponsor EVERYONE, and #2, weights. Weights are currently hard-coded....that's the last step to allow for a highschool version of the site.

Here's a few suggestions: (1) graduating seniors get their own category so we can continue to find what they did historically. I know the wrestlers stick in the system, e.g., I can go find Zain's matches but only by finding an opponent. So I'd have to search Micah Jordan, then search p 5age for Zain, etc.

(2) Freestyle version, at least for US guys.
Also, regarding searching for past wrestlers....I know it's not the most elegant solution, but doing a standard google/{favorite search provider} search like "zain retherford wrestlestat" usually has the top result be the correct link. As long as wrestlestat is in the search string, it's about 99% accurate (I made up that number, but you get the point)

Reactions: tikk10
Re FS, I would think the team designation wasn't that important because, for one, like you said, they move around, straddle multiple teams, and the designation is already innately slippery, e.g., TMWC is just a sponsor, not a training center. But the universe of FS wrestlers is also far smaller than D1, so so long as you can find them by weight that should be enough. It's probably a different animal from the architecture you already built, but it's more a matter of subtraction than addition.

Thanks for all you do Andegre.

Thank you very much, sir!
Yes, someone pointed me to that site a couple years ago. While I agree that that is something that should ABSOLUTELY be retained, updated, I'm not sure how to handle it. In a sense, they are the "owners" of the data because they took the time to compile and upload/host for others. I don't want to just go and copy all of their stuff and host on my site, unethical without their approval. I'd happily post a link to it on my site, but I don't want it to become dead/stale.

I'm not sure on the contact, but maybe reach out to JB? I could be wrong (I usually am) but I asked about possibly taking the NCAA data and putting it on a website so it would be accessible, especially because for awhile the home page was half broke .

I *believe* Jason said that the brackets and PDFs they made were made in house, so I also didn't feel right taking it without permission. That was years ago...

Thank you very much, sir! Just want to confirm, have I already added you to the "ad-free" version? If not, please send me your username/email address and I'll be sure to add that for you.

Here is the domain registration. Scroll down a bit and you can see that it's registered to Jairus K Hammond. You'll have to click the "I'm not a robot" box before the system will show you data.
https://www.name.com/whois-lookup/wrestlingstats.com

Since he is deceased, I assume it would now belong to his wife, Galina. Here is Galina's contact information:
https://www.peoplesearchnow.com/name/galina-v-hammond/gotha-fl/G-1197174241903160464
The link doesn't seem to be working. Let me know if it doesn't work for you as I just saved her contact information; phone numbers and address. She lives in Gotha, Fl.

Last edited:
Hey WrestleStat fans!

Couple things to note:

That's all for now!

Aaron Brooks won't be on the roster next season, he's going to OTC.

Aaron Brooks won't be on the roster next season, he's going to OTC.
I'll have to fix that one at home because there's another Aaron Brooks that shows up for the 2020 season (same recruit listed across 2 different recruiting years)

Hey WrestleStat fans!

Couple things to note:

That's all for now!

Contact info for OBRATS

Dan Seifring
obrats@aol.com (email)
@obrats (twitter) - my twitter email is open to anyone if you want to send me a message on twitter

Thanks for the work you do. I will only say that the pre-season rankings will not win you any friends on HR. They will lose their minds over the 285 ranking!

Thanks for the work you do. I will only say that the pre-season rankings will not win you any friends on HR. They will lose their minds over the 285 ranking!
Not for those that understand the model, generally.

Not for those that understand the model, generally.
It's not about understanding the model. It is their unwavering belief that Stoll should be the #1 ranked wrestler at 285 based on his most recent SV victory over Nevills at NCAA. The fact that Stoll lost twice earlier in the year to Nevills doesn't enter into their logic. I see the two as a strong matchup that could go either way. In the end it will be decided on the mat, but for now the seeding of NN at #1 is surely an abomination.

It's not about understanding the model. It is their unwavering belief that Stoll should be the #1 ranked wrestler at 285 based on his most recent SV victory over Nevills at NCAA. The fact that Stoll lost twice earlier in the year to Nevills doesn't enter into their logic. I see the two as a strong matchup that could go either way. In the end it will be decided on the mat, but for now the seeding of NN at #1 is surely an abomination.
They can say what they want over there, doesn't change a thing from my perspective, grateful and thankful for what's happening at PSU.

In this case though, you're off base. I'm on HR daily looking for good discussion...and I haven't seen a single post whining about the wrestlestat "rankings" at 285. Not saying none will appear, just doesn't seem likely that as a community this will cause them to "lose their minds".

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT