ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Upsets, Surprises & Scares (2023-24 season)

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
Seems like someone here used to post a weekly list of upsets and surprises that I found helpful to keep up with outcomes I missed (I’m not thinking of the wrestlestat version).

I added “scares” to the title mostly to provide another “s” so the list abbreviates as W.U.S.S. in a nod to a certain recently graduated PA wrestler who was guaranteed to be a 4 time nat’l champ until he wasn’t. But it can also refer to unexpectedly close matches or notable injuries on or off the mat (e.g., Wittlake).

Here are a few WUSS list entries for me this week so far:
  • Kyle Snyder losing to Azarpira at the Zagreb Open 🙁
  • Lehigh beating Cornell 17-16
  • Glazier majoring Allred
  • Robb gassing hard against Franek despite starting the season so strong
  • Anthony Noto (#1) losing to Diego Sotelo (#24) -- both the loss and the 11-8 margin (I think Spencer Lee may be the only other person to put that many points on Noto, though in the 2-pt takedown era)

Seems like someone here used to post a weekly list of upsets and surprises that I found helpful to keep up with outcomes I missed (I’m not thinking of the wrestlestat version).

I added “scares” to the title mostly to provide another “s” so the list abbreviates as W.U.S.S. in a nod to a certain recently graduated PA wrestler who was guaranteed to be a 4 time nat’l champ until he wasn’t. But it can also refer to unexpectedly close matches or notable injuries on or off the mat (e.g., Wittlake).

Here are a few WUSS list entries for me this week so far:
  • Kyle Snyder losing to Azarpira at the Zagreb Open 🙁
  • Lehigh beating Cornell 17-16
  • Glazier majoring Allred
  • Robb gassing hard against Franek despite starting the season so strong
  • Anthony Noto (#1) losing to Diego Sotelo (#24) -- both the loss and the 11-8 margin (I think Spencer Lee may be the only other person to put that many points on Noto, though in the 2-pt takedown era)
how about then browns same as usual flacco was primed for this game!!LOL

Really like the idea of this thread. I watch a ton of wrestling (B1G+, ESPN+, Flo, Rokfin, etc.) and am usually able to watch a different dual every night of the week (not live, but playing catch up). Despite this, I feel like I always miss something! For example, I hadn't seen the Lehigh/Cornell match. Thanks for starting this, and I really hope everyone adds to it!

Really like the idea of this thread. I watch a ton of wrestling (B1G+, ESPN+, Flo, Rokfin, etc.) and am usually able to watch a different dual every night of the week (not live, but playing catch up). Despite this, I feel like I always miss something! For example, I hadn't seen the Lehigh/Cornell match. Thanks for starting this, and I really hope everyone adds to it!
definite lightweight!!LOL

A few of them in the Goofers-Rutger match. Goofers won 20-12, so Jammen might be back on the bandwagon.

184 - true FR McEnelly (MN) dec 22 Soldano 3-2
197 - 24 Joles (MN) dec 9 Poznanski 4-1 SV1
125 - 16 Peterson (RU) dec 11 McKee 6-4 (not an upset because 125, also because not in consis)
133 - 26 Wells (MN) dec 8 Shawver 5-2 SV1

6-4, but it didn't "just" happen -- the dual was 2 weeks ago on 1/14.
Oh I see the date now. Oops.

oops GIF

UALR over Oregon State 20-17
Kaylor and McDermott lose to unranked opponents.

Josiah Hill wrestling match win

Benjamin Krain
Wrestling 1/26/2024 11:00:00 PM Kaylie Noll | LRTrojans.com

Little Rock Takes Out #16 Oregon State, Moves to 2-0 in Pac-12 Competition​

Tonight's win on the road is the second ranked team win in a row for the Trojans​

Story Links​

HILLSBORO, Ore. – The Trojans are heating up. Little Rock wrestling took out #16 Oregon State for back-to-back ranked team wins, bringing them to 2-0 in Pac-12 competition for the first time in program history. Yet another first.

Following their historic victory over formerly ranked #24 Arizona State last weekend, Little Rock hit the road and didn't let the travel deter them - nor the fact that the Trojans had never scored more than nine team points in a dual against Oregon State before tonight.

Instead, they went right into the first bout with a vengeance as Jeremiah Reno pinned #15 Brandon Kaylor in the second period to give Little Rock the 6-0 lead out the gates. According to head coach Neil Erisman, it was exactly what the team needed and what Reno himself needed for his own confidence.

Cool as usual, Nasir Bailey followed with a major decision over a fellow ranked opponent, and in just two bouts the Trojans had already collected more team points against the Beavers than they ever had before.

Oregon State took the next three matches, but they were all by decision and the Beavers still trailed by just one team point. Cael Keck and Kyle Dutton, both redshirt freshmen, were right in the fight against top-20 individuals, dropping their matches by three points or less.

Like last weekend, it was Joseph Bianchi that gave the Trojans a spark to reignite. He shut out his opponent with a 10-0 major decision to give Little Rock the bonus points they needed. Especially since Oregon State tied it up 14-14 in the next bout, then took a three-point team lead in the one after, despite Triston Wills holding the number four guy in the country to a three-point decision.

Stepping up to the mat, Stephen Little took out another ranked opponent to bring the dual to a 17-17 tie as well as place the final score in the hands of the heavyweights.

And heavyweight Josiah Hill did not disappoint. Not only did he defeat a ranked opponent of his own for the second Trojan upest of the evening, his takedown in the last minute of the match handed Little Rock the overall team victory as the Trojans continue to pave their own destiny.

What exactly did head Coach Erisman say to the team before they hit the mat tonight?

"I just reminded them that we've only won a maximum of two matches in a dual against these guys before. You've got to earn the respect and earn the right to beat this team."

"We knew we were in a tough situation at some positions," he added, "but I feel good about our performance and the way they responded. We're showing that we can win duals in many different ways. It's awesome to see the guys fighting together and finding a way."

Coach Erisman took a brief moment to soak everything in and reminiscence about the differences between where they were just five years ago and today.

"It's an incredible feeling to be here. In our first year, we were just worried about guys not getting hurt so we could fill a squad."

Now, as the Trojans have been building their base over the past few years, they're finally breaking through.

"God is good all the time, even when we're getting our heads kicked in," said Coach Erisman. "Getting over the hump of finally beating a ranked team gives our guys the confidence that we're right here. Staying mentally tough and disciplined to do what we're doing every day does pay off. The best part is that there's still a lot of room for improvement."

The Trojans now look ahead to their dual at Stanford this Sunday at 3 p.m. PST to close their road swing on the West Coast. Tune in on the Pac-12 Network to cheer on Little Rock from home and get ready for yet another dual between two ranked teams.

#25 Little Rock 20, #16 Oregon State 17
125: Jeremiah Reno F #15 Brandon Kaylor (Oregon State), 4:26
133: #13 Nasir Bailey MD #28 Gabe Whisenhunt (Oregon State), 13-4
141: #18 Cleveland Belton (Oregon State) DEC Cael Keck, 7-5
149: #18 Nash Singleton (Oregon State) DEC Kyle Dutton, 11-8
157: Isaiah Crosby (Oregon State) DEC Matty Bianchi, 9-7
165: Joseph Bianchi MD Kekana Fouret (Oregon State), 10-0
174: #13 Matthew Olguin (Oregon State) TF Brendon Abdon, 21-14 (6:31)
184: #4 Trey Munoz (Oregon State) DEC Triston Wills, 11-8
197: #11 Stephen Little DEC #28 Justin Rademacher (Oregon State), 10-3
285: Josiah Hill DEC #17 Boone McDermott (Oregon State), 4-1

A few of them in the Goofers-Rutger match. Goofers won 20-12, so Jammen might be back on the bandwagon.

184 - true FR McEnelly (MN) dec 22 Soldano 3-2
197 - 24 Joles (MN) dec 9 Poznanski 4-1 SV1
125 - 16 Peterson (RU) dec 11 McKee 6-4 (not an upset because 125, also because not in consis)
133 - 26 Wells (MN) dec 8 Shawver 5-2 SV1
I think I’ll head over to the Rutgers forum and read the pbp thread now. 😁

UALR over Oregon State 20-17
Kaylor and McDermott lose to unranked opponents.

Josiah Hill wrestling match win

Benjamin Krain
Wrestling 1/26/2024 11:00:00 PM Kaylie Noll | LRTrojans.com

Little Rock Takes Out #16 Oregon State, Moves to 2-0 in Pac-12 Competition​

Tonight's win on the road is the second ranked team win in a row for the Trojans​

Story Links​

HILLSBORO, Ore. – The Trojans are heating up. Little Rock wrestling took out #16 Oregon State for back-to-back ranked team wins, bringing them to 2-0 in Pac-12 competition for the first time in program history. Yet another first.

Following their historic victory over formerly ranked #24 Arizona State last weekend, Little Rock hit the road and didn't let the travel deter them - nor the fact that the Trojans had never scored more than nine team points in a dual against Oregon State before tonight.

Instead, they went right into the first bout with a vengeance as Jeremiah Reno pinned #15 Brandon Kaylor in the second period to give Little Rock the 6-0 lead out the gates. According to head coach Neil Erisman, it was exactly what the team needed and what Reno himself needed for his own confidence.

Cool as usual, Nasir Bailey followed with a major decision over a fellow ranked opponent, and in just two bouts the Trojans had already collected more team points against the Beavers than they ever had before.

Oregon State took the next three matches, but they were all by decision and the Beavers still trailed by just one team point. Cael Keck and Kyle Dutton, both redshirt freshmen, were right in the fight against top-20 individuals, dropping their matches by three points or less.

Like last weekend, it was Joseph Bianchi that gave the Trojans a spark to reignite. He shut out his opponent with a 10-0 major decision to give Little Rock the bonus points they needed. Especially since Oregon State tied it up 14-14 in the next bout, then took a three-point team lead in the one after, despite Triston Wills holding the number four guy in the country to a three-point decision.

Stepping up to the mat, Stephen Little took out another ranked opponent to bring the dual to a 17-17 tie as well as place the final score in the hands of the heavyweights.

And heavyweight Josiah Hill did not disappoint. Not only did he defeat a ranked opponent of his own for the second Trojan upest of the evening, his takedown in the last minute of the match handed Little Rock the overall team victory as the Trojans continue to pave their own destiny.

What exactly did head Coach Erisman say to the team before they hit the mat tonight?

"I just reminded them that we've only won a maximum of two matches in a dual against these guys before. You've got to earn the respect and earn the right to beat this team."

"We knew we were in a tough situation at some positions," he added, "but I feel good about our performance and the way they responded. We're showing that we can win duals in many different ways. It's awesome to see the guys fighting together and finding a way."

Coach Erisman took a brief moment to soak everything in and reminiscence about the differences between where they were just five years ago and today.

"It's an incredible feeling to be here. In our first year, we were just worried about guys not getting hurt so we could fill a squad."

Now, as the Trojans have been building their base over the past few years, they're finally breaking through.

"God is good all the time, even when we're getting our heads kicked in," said Coach Erisman. "Getting over the hump of finally beating a ranked team gives our guys the confidence that we're right here. Staying mentally tough and disciplined to do what we're doing every day does pay off. The best part is that there's still a lot of room for improvement."

The Trojans now look ahead to their dual at Stanford this Sunday at 3 p.m. PST to close their road swing on the West Coast. Tune in on the Pac-12 Network to cheer on Little Rock from home and get ready for yet another dual between two ranked teams.

#25 Little Rock 20, #16 Oregon State 17
125: Jeremiah Reno F #15 Brandon Kaylor (Oregon State), 4:26
133: #13 Nasir Bailey MD #28 Gabe Whisenhunt (Oregon State), 13-4
141: #18 Cleveland Belton (Oregon State) DEC Cael Keck, 7-5
149: #18 Nash Singleton (Oregon State) DEC Kyle Dutton, 11-8
157: Isaiah Crosby (Oregon State) DEC Matty Bianchi, 9-7
165: Joseph Bianchi MD Kekana Fouret (Oregon State), 10-0
174: #13 Matthew Olguin (Oregon State) TF Brendon Abdon, 21-14 (6:31)
184: #4 Trey Munoz (Oregon State) DEC Triston Wills, 11-8
197: #11 Stephen Little DEC #28 Justin Rademacher (Oregon State), 10-3
285: Josiah Hill DEC #17 Boone McDermott (Oregon State), 4-1

Great to see LR competitive so soon. They knocked of ASU last week too. Maybe this scrappy upstart will encourage other schools to also join the fray.

First time in school history they've had a top 25 team in any sport. Fastest time to a top 25 for an upstart wrestling program.
Coach Erisman is doing great things there. Pat Smith has been heavily involved in that program, as well. One thing about Arkansas sports is that the whole state rallies around a team, and UALR is no different. It's been awesome watching them grow into a ranked team so quickly!

Coach Erisman is doing great things there. Pat Smith has been heavily involved in that program, as well. One thing about Arkansas sports is that the whole state rallies around a team, and UALR is no different. It's been awesome watching them grow into a ranked team so quickly!

I know a little bit about Arkansas. Those Razorback fans are pretty intense.

giphy.gif

Need some Texas and Florida teams
Of all sports, I believe wrestling would be the easiest one to have a start up program be a top 10 contender in its first year. Because of the individual nature of wrestling, NLI and the transfer portal, I think a well endowed university could have a contender immediately.

Think about Texas. Some Uber rich supporter decides he wants to support the creation of a Texas wrestling team. Between recruiting some precocious freshman and getting a number of portals (think Michigan) that program could contend to be top five its first year.

Of all sports, I believe wrestling would be the easiest one to have a start up program be a top 10 contender in its first year. Because of the individual nature of wrestling, NLI and the transfer portal, I think a well endowed university could have a contender immediately.

Think about Texas. Some Uber rich supporter decides he wants to support the creation of a Texas wrestling team. Between recruiting some precocious freshman and getting a number of portals (think Michigan) that program could contend to be top five its first year.
This probably isn't too far off, but what does it say about schools like Rutger and Illinois, that aren't poor and struggle to recruit the great talent pools in their home states?

Finding a conference would be a big issue for such a new program. Especially for Texas, which burned its bridges with B12 and has a long-standing reputation for pushing around other conference members. No conference = no NCAA qualifiers.

This probably isn't too far off, but what does it say about schools like Rutger and Illinois, that aren't poor and struggle to recruit the great talent pools in their home states?

Finding a conference would be a big issue for such a new program. Especially for Texas, which burned its bridges with B12 and has a long-standing reputation for pushing around other conference members. No conference = no NCAA qualifiers.
At some point, B10 excluded, I think it would simply be better for schools to have wrestling specific regional conferences, especially those in conferences where there are so few members who have wrestling programs.

Well endowed like Uncle Carmine or well endowed like Sofia Vergara? It makes a difference!

Shapiro putting in on Mauller 13-4 in 3rd. Total domination. This is the kid you don’t want to see on your side of bracket

Reactions: mcpat

Well, the PAC 12 is looking for ten more members.

Reactions: RB-Old
Shapiro and Levi are the best two 157s I’ve seen so far this year.
Then Chase Saldate should be next since he took Levi to TB-2 and lost on a last second reversal. And Cardenas from Stanford and Chumbley from Northwestern since they both beat Shapiro.

Kasak and Evans into the finals, Kasak w/ a major and Evans won 4-2. Jax and Stanich also set for the finals.

Reactions: LOTOlion
Then Chase Saldate should be next since he took Levi to TB-2 and lost on a last second reversal. And Cardenas from Stanford and Chumbley from Northwestern since they both beat Shapiro.
Individual results aren’t the whole picture. People can have good days and bad days. From watching all of these guys wrestle, Levi and Shapiro look like the best. We’ll see, neither have been dominant so someone else could get there at the end, too.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT