ADVERTISEMENT

WRs remain a mystery

bdgan

May 29, 2008
We came into the year with KLS #1, Wallace being #2, and looking for a #3 to break out. Now Wallace is hurt, KLS is MIA, and Cephas hasn't taken the next step. We only had 2 WRs with a catch today. Clifford & Evans each had 1 catch. Clifford was open, Evans caught a low pass but he got no separation. We haven't seen high 4* Saunders recently and we haven't seen the 4* freshman Ivey. It seems unfathomable that none of these players can perform better than what we've seen.

The TEs are only marginally better. There was one play in the first half where Allar rolled right and it looked like he was going to pass to Warren but he was being manhandled at the LOS and couldn't get free so Allar had to throw it into the ground.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Obviously the passing game isn’t what was hoped for. But the lack of explosive runs is what has been most surprising. I’ve tried to make a point of watching the blocking by the WRs and TEs vs the secondary and I often don’t like what I see.

I don't think the WRs are a mystery. They have no talent and are pathetic. The WRs held this team back from greatness.

Obviously the passing game isn’t what was hoped for. But the lack of explosive runs is what has been most surprising. I’ve tried to make a point of watching the blocking by the WRs and TEs vs the secondary and I often don’t like what I see.
I agree with that but I've also seen opponents bring extra defenders to the LOS because they were less concerned about getting beat in the passing game. Urban Meyer did a segment on how Michigan and others have used what they call Blitz Zero against us.

Reactions: mcpat
We came into the year with KLS #1, Wallace being #2, and looking for a #3 to break out. Now Wallace is hurt, KLS is MIA, and Cephas hasn't taken the next step. We only had 2 WRs with a catch today. Clifford & Evans each had 1 catch. Clifford was open, Evans caught a low pass but he got no separation. We haven't seen high 4* Saunders recently and we haven't seen the 4* freshman Ivey. It seems unfathomable that none of these players can perform better than what we've seen.

The TEs are only marginally better. There was one play in the first half where Allar rolled right and it looked like he was going to pass to Warren but he was being manhandled at the LOS and couldn't get free so Allar had to throw it into the ground.
still looks like Cephas does not know play book. Allar throws the out and Cephas runs the in cut. Allar has thrown to the same empty, open spot "to Cephas" in multiple games

This is essentially what I said preseason. This is the least talented group we have had since 2004. I mostly said the same about the line.

still looks like Cephas does not know play book. Allar throws the out and Cephas runs the in cut. Allar has thrown to the same empty, open spot "to Cephas" in multiple games
There’s an easy fix, Allar should just ignore the planned route and throw the ball to where Cephas is running. I know that’s ridiculous, but since I can’t fix it, I have to find humor in it before I go crazy.

I thought Saunders caught a pass over the middle. May have been against McCheaters. Remember being surprised he was in. Was very surprised that Meiga was a cocaptain as he rarely shows up in stats.

I thought Saunders caught a pass over the middle. May have been against McCheaters. Remember being surprised he was in. Was very surprised that Meiga was a cocaptain as he rarely shows up in stats.
I thought Meiga was named a co-captain before the season started. You know one of those hands across the border things to appease our Canadian allies.

It is not surprising to me. See if this came in late as soon an entirely new system anti simply not there yet. Wallace has been hurt multiple times this season so he's been in and out. Omari Evans has been sick and also on separate occasions again, not enough reps. I have no idea about ivy. From high school I didn't think you had enough speed. Mega now there's a mystery man thinks he's destined for the CFL. Carmelo Taylor, injured. He's been on the injured list all season.

Interesting watching the pass interference call against Rutgers on a ball that Theo Johnson couldn't catch. However, on the replay, without any commentary, it was easy to see Omari Evans being held from behind for about four steps. As he attempted to get separation while being tackled.

Seriously, my point is to get timing down and for a quarterback to know the instincts of his receivers in games They have to play and have some continuity. The The wide receiver buffet of 2023, cannot come to an end soon enough.

It is not surprising to me. See if this came in late as soon an entirely new system anti simply not there yet. Wallace has been hurt multiple times this season so he's been in and out. Omari Evans has been sick and also on separate occasions again, not enough reps. I have no idea about ivy. From high school I didn't think you had enough speed. Mega now there's a mystery man thinks he's destined for the CFL. Carmelo Taylor, injured. He's been on the injured list all season.

Interesting watching the pass interference call against Rutgers on a ball that Theo Johnson couldn't catch. However, on the replay, without any commentary, it was easy to see Omari Evans being held from behind for about four steps. As he attempted to get separation while being tackled.

Seriously, my point is to get timing down and for a quarterback to know the instincts of his receivers in games They have to play and have some continuity. The The wide receiver buffet of 2023, cannot come to an end soon enough.
Our receivers have been held on many occasions in different games without the calls being made. Perhaps they need coaching on how to react to get attention. Take a few flops. Instead of fighting through the hold ….spin around and stumble. Or just start a fight🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Our receivers have been held on many occasions in different games without the calls being made. Perhaps they need coaching on how to react to get attention. Take a few flops. Instead of fighting through the hold ….spin around and stumble. Or just start a fight🤷🏼‍♀️
I struggle to believe the BiG refs are out to get so they allow out WRs to be held. I think they just lack the skill/strength. I also think Wallace's injury is a big factor. Our WRs did a good job getting open vs WVa. I know WVa's pass defense is weak but Wallace showed quickness over the middle. He had 7 catches for 72 yds and I think that opened things up for KLS to have 4 catches for 123 yds. Allar was much more confident back then too. He was 21-29 for 325 yds and comfortably moved away from pressure Singleton had 13 carries for 70 yds in that game.

But Wallace got hurt leaving only KLS, and now KLS seems to be in the dog house. I think the lack of quality WRs has made things difficult for Allar and he's no longer playing with confidence. Opponents are stacking the LOS because our passing game is weak and that's making life difficult for the RBs. It's all spiraled downward and I suspect it started with Wallace and not KLS.

I struggle to believe the BiG refs are out to get so they allow out WRs to be held. I think they just lack the skill/strength. I also think Wallace's injury is a big factor. Our WRs did a good job getting open vs WVa. I know WVa's pass defense is weak but Wallace showed quickness over the middle. He had 7 catches for 72 yds and I think that opened things up for KLS to have 4 catches for 123 yds. Allar was much more confident back then too. He was 21-29 for 325 yds and comfortably moved away from pressure Singleton had 13 carries for 70 yds in that game.

But Wallace got hurt leaving only KLS, and now KLS seems to be in the dog house. I think the lack of quality WRs has made things difficult for Allar and he's no longer playing with confidence. Opponents are stacking the LOS because our passing game is weak and that's making life difficult for the RBs. It's all spiraled downward and I suspect it started with Wallace and not KLS.
Never said anything was intentional. Just that lots of holds don’t get called. They need to draw attention to the problem somehow. And just fighting through isn’t hitting it done.

But your other points are spot on. Losing Wallace hurt since we had no depth there. And not having a pass offense certainly impacts the running game. We needto throw deep more often to back up the dbacks.

What’s disgusting and telling about the run game was yesterday when Pribula fumbled the snap, collected it and ran it in for a TD. Behind him during the play you have Singleton throwing his hands up in the air in disgust because he didn’t get the handoff and the opportunity to score a touchdown. The individualism on this team is downright disgusting. This type of behavior is telling of what is occurring during the practice week and within the locker room. I’m not an insider and don’t have any inside connections, but I’m not an idiot either. I would prefer Singleton leave and go play somewhere else. Give me Allen and an assortment of new backs eager to prove themselves. This Singleton kid is an individual and his actions seem to point toward him being a cancer. IMO.

It’s a combination of the players losing confidence in their QB, OC and HC on the offensive side of the ball. The results and emotional reactions and outbursts during the game are very telling. This “change” is needed for the program under Franklin. This is Franklins opportunity to get it right and IMO his last opportunity to prove he is worth keeping around (IMO that window closed a long time ago and he should have been let go, but there’s a new boss, Kraft, and he’ll formulate his own decisions).

Hopefully Franklin can convince some top portal wide-outs to come in with the hopes of helping Allar grow. It only takes 1 game changer to propel an offense. However, not a bunch of Marvin Harrison Jr's running around.

Reactions: bdgan

No one said the Big ten reps are out to get PSU. My original post I stated it was for black of continuous and development. Yes they need to know how to out muscle how to draw flags and if they're grabbed by both arms from behind they need to make the the foul visible to the refs.

I agree that Allar lacks CONFIDENCE.. BUT PART OF THAT LOCK OF CONFIDENCE COMES FROM NOT ENOUGH STABILITY IN THE WIDE RECEIVER CORE. TIMING IS OF THE ESSENCE AND KNOWING TRAITS OF RECEIVERS IS CRUCIAL TO A QUARTERBACK DEVELOPING CONFIDENCE.

On that route the announcers criticized Allar for making a bad throw when you could see he was throwing an out and Cephas turned inside.

Cephas came in through the transfer portal and was not around for spring practice. Still, he was an experienced and successful receiver who just didn't pick up the routes or seem to have confidence.

Cephas came in through the transfer portal and was not around for spring practice. Still, he was an experienced and successful receiver who just didn't pick up the routes or seem to have confidence.
Or he might not have big time football talent. He ran up his stats in the MAC. I don't buy the picking up the routes argument at this point. He's being thrown to so he must know the routes now, and he doesn't get much separation on most of the routes he runs. Doesn't make much sense to compare him to Harrison of OSU who seems to get 5 yards open on most plays but this season PSU doesn't seem to have a WR that can get open regularly. And the OL play has been sporadic as well with Olu about the only olinemen that pretty consistently gave the QB time to throw. It seems the talent on the offense is just not there for PSU this season. Even the RB's who were hyped as one of the best pairs in the country sure haven't looked "elite"....

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT