ADVERTISEMENT

“Their QB was good” (Pry needs to step it up)

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
I’m sooooooo tired of everyone saying this, the days following a game!
Our Defense has a way to make average QBs have career days!
No, their QB wasn’t good!
Our DC refuses to play man/press man defense!
He, instead, chooses to play soft, soft, soft, soft, pu$$y zone defense, allowing opposing defenses to SHRED our secondary!
Pitt sucks, BUT......
Narduzzi would play a press-man over Memphis, and they have maybe 230 yards passing, maybe!
I’m soooooo sick and tired of our defense getting LIT UP by a QB who wouldn’t sniff any current top 15 teams 3-deep!
Sorry, but if Pry doesn’t make VAST improvements to our pu$$y zone D, we’ll perennially be on the outside looking in, for any meaningful bowl game!

He, instead, chooses to play soft, soft, soft, soft, pu$$y zone defense, allowing opposing defenses to SHRED our secondary!
Pitt sucks, BUT......
Narduzzi would play a press-man over Memphis, and they have maybe 230 yards passing, maybe!
I’m soooooo sick and tired of our defense getting LIT UP by a QB who wouldn’t sniff any current top 15 teams 3-deep!
Sorry, but if Pry doesn’t make VAST improvements to our pu$$y zone D, we’ll perennially be on the outside looking in, for any meaningful bowl game!

There is definitely some improvement needed in pass coverage. Since the 2nd half of the ichigan game the D gave up 15 more points per game. :rolleyes:

Reactions: marshall23
When Tom Amstutz took over as HC at Toledo after being Gary Pinkel’s DC, and Pinkel’s departure to Missouri, he did self-reflection.
What gave him fits as a DC? Then implemented that offense at Toledo.
Maybe KC and Pry could sit down over coffee some morning.
“Hey, KC, what did you see my running against you this past season that allowed you to torch my defense for so many passing yards?”
Just a thought.

OL

I thought PSU was a 7 point favorite. They won by 14. It's never good enough for but.... fanboys. They can't even win gracefully.

and to think, starting tomorrow there are only 249 days until Kent St

or as @Gnat91 eloquently put it "So starting today it's 250?" ;)

I don't know how we will make it?

When Tom Amstutz took over as HC at Toledo after being Gary Pinkel’s DC, and Pinkel’s departure to Missouri, he did self-reflection.
What gave him fits as a DC? Then implemented that offense at Toledo.
Maybe KC and Pry could sit down over coffee some morning.
“Hey, KC, what did you see my running against you this past season that allowed you to torch my defense for so many passing yards?”
Just a thought.

OL
This is not unique. Staffs do this on a routine basis. Sometimes it simply can't be fixed with scheme. PSU doesn't have exceptional personnel in the secondary. There is a reason they tried to give so much time to Keaton Ellis, Marquis Wilson at times even Joey Porter and soph. Trent Gordon. Brisker may improve, it's still a big jump from JC. I don't know what happened to Castro-Fields..perhaps he was banged up. Wade hits like a truck, but coverage skills?

This is not unique. Staffs do this on a routine basis. Sometimes it simply can't be fixed with scheme. PSU doesn't have exceptional personnel in the secondary. There is a reason they tried to give so much time to Keaton Ellis, Marquis Wilson at times even Joey Porter and soph. Trent Gordon. Brisker may improve, it's still a big jump from JC. I don't know what happened to Castro-Fields..perhaps he was banged up. Wade hits like a truck, but coverage skills?
Brisker was an unpleasant surprise. Coming from JUCO, I had higher expectations.
You’re correct, still a big jump. I was hoping for more help.

OL

Reactions: marshall23
All of you advocates for this press man coverage, you were probably talking down LSU early in the year when they let Texas and Alabama beat em on a bunch of big plays.

There is no perfect defense. The modern game favors the offense as well. Alabama has more talent than ANYBODY and look at what Auburn and LSU did to them this year. We'd have some fire Saban posts here I'm sure.

I imagine one of the things that CJF will do sometime in next couple of weeks is have the new OC sit down with D staff and go through the Minnesota game tape and have him explain tells, weaknesses, tendencies, etc. that he noticed. Hopefully that will be a huge learning moment for D staff and they can improve from there.

The problem (or one problem of many) is when we play soft all the time, we shouldn’t be giving up open deep completions game after game after game.

AND

There never.....NEVER.....seemed to be any sense of awareness of down & distance.

Brisker was an unpleasant surprise. Coming from JUCO, I had higher expectations.
You’re correct, still a big jump. I was hoping for more help.

Gotta hope the young guys improve and C-F cures what's failing him. Otherwise we are in for more of the same next year.

Reactions: OhioLion
I imagine one of the things that CJF will do sometime in next couple of weeks is have the new OC sit down with D staff and go through the Minnesota game tape and have him explain tells, weaknesses, tendencies, etc. that he noticed. Hopefully that will be a huge learning moment for D staff and they can improve from there.
Good lord. Do you honestly think they don't know? LOL. THERE IS A TALENT ISSUE IN THE SECONDARY.

We did get burned a few times in what looked like manas well.

Yeah Reid, a 5th year senior made some nice plays early in the game on man coverage on short passes. Then on 3rd and long, he covers a guy on a deep pass and then drops off him for some inexplicable reason and looks like he was going to come up to provide run support when the QB is rolling out to the other side of the field and let’s the guy get behind him for a 50 yard completion. Totally brain dead play. There was a lot of that in the Minnesota game as well.

We will never be an elite team with this defensive scheme. It's not only the defensive backs, but the interior line is average at best. Am I thrilled with our record? You bet! But to allow good or average QB's light us up game after game is unacceptable. We will never be in the playoffs unless defensive changes are made. Teams continually exploit our weaknesses week after week and we don't make the necessary adjustments quickly enough. I dread to think how teams like LSU, Clemson and Oregon would score at will.

Reactions: RLCookie
Good lord. Do you honestly think they don't know? LOL. THERE IS A TALENT ISSUE IN THE SECONDARY.

I’m not so sure of that. See my other post. Seems like there were too many times where there was assignment confusion in the secondary. The PSU defensive backs may not be as good as those at OSU and LSU I will grant you that, but there is no excuse for giving up 400 passing yards.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and psu00
Against PSU the Memphis QB was 33/53 for 479 passing yards.

Memphis pass game through the year-

1. Ole Miss- 23/31 for 172 yards (15 points)
2. Southern- 23/28 for 398 yds (55 points)
3. S. Alabama- 14/22 for 218 yds (42 points)
4. Navy- 14/18 for 196 yds (35 points)
5. UL Monroe- 15/24 for 249 yds (52 points)
6. Temple- 28/44 for 363 yds (28 points)
7. Tulane- 21/30 for 358 yds (47 points)
8. Tulsa- 16/26 for 306 yds (42 points)
9. SMU- 19/33 for 350 yds (54 points)
10. Houston- 23/35 for 367 yds (45 points)
11. USF- 19/31 for 235 yds (49 points)
12. Cincy- 15/26 for 233 yds (34 points)
13. Cincy- 18/40 for 253 yds (29 points)

14. PSU- 33/53 for 479 yds (39 points).

The problem (or one problem of many) is when we play soft all the time, we shouldn’t be giving up open deep completions game after game after game.

I honestly think we ask our secondary to do a lot and some of the talent there just aren't high end, first round NFL guys capable of doing it all every down.

How often do you see Taylor defending a pass? It's like he's always in run read mode (notice his amount of tackles 0-5 from LoS) and on passing plays he is just chasing the ball once in the air.

Wade and Brisker are hopefully a year away from tracking down the sideline passes and making PBUs and INTs.

Too often, we sit our safety in dilemma. They watch passes fall in front of them to TEs and WRs without making a move or they arrive late on the sideline throws scared it was going over the middle.

We do the same to our LBs too. We have them vacate the intermediate area of the field where they start and run to the sideline area as if teams are throwing 15 5-yard outs or we don't think our LBs can get wide on a RB pass. Shortened zone, with eyes being used quicker would help this. Our LBs are as fast as they have been in years.

Pitt sucks, BUT......
We won because of the running game. The defense did not win this game for us. Giving up 39 points isn't exactly anything to be hanging your hat on.

Pretty hard to say that Pry will hold the team back from being in, and winning, a meaningful bowl game when...we’ve been in 3 NY6 bowl games in the 4 years he’s been our defensive coordinator.

That’s fine but I constantly saw Rahne getting crucified on this board and until recently Pry getting a virtual free pass when it comes to criticism. All I heard after the OSU loss last year was the stupid draw play (and I agree). However, I was sitting in my usual seat in the north end zone and said to my buddy, all PSU had to do was prevent OSU from scoring 2 TDs with exactly 8 minutes left in the game and of course the defense did not do that. Seems to me that Pry’s defense’s hallmark has been fading down the stretch at the end of the year against the better teams the past couple years.

No shit, Of course there is a talent issue, but do you think our D staff knows everything they are doing wrong? I mean hell, I believe it was someone from Minn D that told Hamler a tell he was doing? Hamler and O staff did not recognize or know this until an opposing player told him? So don’t f n act like our new OC can’t come in a give our D staff one or two holy shit learning moments from watching film, because I am sure there will be a few. You aren’t normally an asshole poster so don’t act like a condescending asshole one now.

We will never be an elite team with this defensive scheme. It's not only the defensive backs, but the interior line is average at best. Am I thrilled with our record? You bet! But to allow good or average QB's light us up game after game is unacceptable. We will never be in the playoffs unless defensive changes are made. Teams continually exploit our weaknesses week after week and we don't make the necessary adjustments quickly enough. I dread to think how teams like LSU, Clemson and Oregon would score at will.
There's a good chance we will never be in the playoffs anyway. Let's get a grip.

No shit, Of course there is a talent issue, but do you think our D staff knows everything they are doing wrong? I mean hell, I believe it was someone from Minn D that told Hamler a tell he was doing? Hamler and O staff did not recognize or know this until an opposing player told him? So don’t f n act like our new OC can’t come in a give our D staff one or two holy shit learning moments from watching film, because I am sure there will be a few. You aren’t normally an asshole poster so don’t act like a condescending asshole one now.
It's my prerogative. Its beyond insane to think Pry doesn't know what offenses have been doing to his D since mid season.
So if Nolan Ryan in his prime told you he was going to deliver a fastball....you would hit it? My guess is NO. But yet you knew exactly what he was going to do.

I believe it was a d back from the U of Idaho that gave Hamler the heads up on his tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT