ADVERTISEMENT

“Their QB was good” (Pry needs to step it up)

It's my prerogative. Its beyond insane to think Pry doesn't know what offenses have been doing to his D since mid season.
So if Nolan Ryan in his prime told you he was going to deliver a fastball....you would hit it? My guess is NO. But yet you knew exactly what he was going to do.

Ok, guess Pry can learn nothing from our new OC. I guess none of our O staff will learn anything either, nor will any of our players since obviously they know everything and it is either just a lack of talent and or a failure to properly execute. Got it. :rolleyes:

In paging though a few threads tonight I have learned that PSU needs changes at DC, OC (done), OL coach, S and CB coaches. We did go 11-2, right?
Nothing. Short. Of. Purr. Fect. Shun.

479 yards through the air and 0 passing touchdowns. 63 yards rushing. Just adding some context. Seems to me that the philosophy is (a) stop the run, (b) limit explosive plays, (c) force turnovers, and (d) tackles for loss.

Lots of yards given up, few TDs, and a kicker who made every field goal including several long ones. And defense had 2 INTs and 2 fumbles that were recovered by Memphis. Most points given up by the defense all year.

Need to be better against pass next year, but sky isn't falling.

Or since RR is gone, is it now Pry's turn in the hot seat?

Last edited:
The pick six and the int by Wilson late in the 4th were two of the biggest plays of the game. So don’t completely discount their contribution to the win.

I haven't seen a replay of the play or the game ... but from memory :)() Wilson's interception seemed like a tremendous play where he played the ball perfectly. Do you remember that play well? Do you think Wilson looks like a star CB in the making?

and a kicker who made every field goal including several long ones.

Their kicker almost didn’t play. He turned an ankle or something like that during practice. He said he was iffy as the game got closer. That would have been a big weapon to lose.

I’m sooooooo tired of everyone saying this, the days following a game!
Our Defense has a way to make average QBs have career days!
No, their QB wasn’t good!
Our DC refuses to play man/press man defense!
He, instead, chooses to play soft, soft, soft, soft, pu$$y zone defense, allowing opposing defenses to SHRED our secondary!
Pitt sucks, BUT......
Narduzzi would play a press-man over Memphis, and they have maybe 230 yards passing, maybe!
I’m soooooo sick and tired of our defense getting LIT UP by a QB who wouldn’t sniff any current top 15 teams 3-deep!
Sorry, but if Pry doesn’t make VAST improvements to our pu$$y zone D, we’ll perennially be on the outside looking in, for any meaningful bowl game!
I'm soooooo tired of you- fortunately I can fire you, and just did

Their QB and WR's were awesome with blazing speed. Whenever we cannot put pressure on the QB, we give up completions. Bottom line, we won due our talent and big play by Micah put cherry on the cake. Love our team!

I haven't seen a replay of the play or the game ... but from memory :)() Wilson's interception seemed like a tremendous play where he played the ball perfectly. Do you remember that play well? Do you think Wilson looks like a star CB in the making?

He has shown fantastic ball skills so far.

Ok, guess Pry can learn nothing from our new OC. I guess none of our O staff will learn anything either, nor will any of our players since obviously they know everything and it is either just a lack of talent and or a failure to properly execute. Got it. :rolleyes:
You win. A guy who coached at Minny will come here and school our coaches, because coaches from anywhere know more than PSU coaches.
No coach knows everything, but I can assure you anything that nitwits on this board can figure out even the morons PSU call coaches may have stumbled upon. Your conception of the functioning level of a D1 coaching staff is a bit elementary.

479 yards through the air and 0 passing touchdowns. 63 yards rushing. Just adding some context. Seems to me that the philosophy is (a) stop the run, (b) limit explosive plays, (c) force turnovers, and (d) tackles for loss.

Lots of yards given up, few TDs, and a kicker who made every field goal including several long ones. And defense had 2 INTs and 2 fumbles that were recovered by Memphis. Most points given up by the defense all year.

Need to be better against pass next year, but sky isn't falling.

Or since RR is gone, is it now Pry's turn in the hot seat?
Just to be fair, everyone gets A turn. LOL

Reactions: canuckhal
Their QB was one of the better ones we faced this season. He was elusive and strong - armed. He also got rid of the ball quickly.
The problem was that many of their receivers were wide, wide open.

Reactions: therod
The problem (or one problem of many) is when we play soft all the time, we shouldn’t be giving up open deep completions game after game after game.

AND

There never.....NEVER.....seemed to be any sense of awareness of down & distance.

This ^^^^.

The PSU pass D gave up over 225 more passing yards to Memphis than Cincinnati did (twice).

Every single team Memphis played this year played better pass D against them than Penn St did. They play in the American Athletic Conference. Let that sink in.

Last edited:
Their kicker almost didn’t play. He turned an ankle or something like that during practice. He said he was iffy as the game got closer. That would have been a big weapon to lose.

We were MAYBE lucky otherwise they might have been converting 4th downs into first downs into TDs. (Of course, they'd admittedly need to convert a lot to cover those 18 pts.)

This ^^^^.

The PSU pass D gave up over 225 more passing yards to Memphis than Cincinnati did (twice).

Every single team Memphis played this year played better pass D against them than Penn St did. Let that sink in.

At the same time, we possibly held Memphis to their lowest rushing total of the year?

Of course, as the game progressed, it was the battle of “Why is Memphis rushing?” vs “Why is PSU passing?”.

Against PSU the Memphis QB was 33/53 for 479 passing yards.

Memphis pass game through the year-

1. Ole Miss- 23/31 for 172 yards (15 points)
2. Southern- 23/28 for 398 yds (55 points)
3. S. Alabama- 14/22 for 218 yds (42 points)
4. Navy- 14/18 for 196 yds (35 points)
5. UL Monroe- 15/24 for 249 yds (52 points)
6. Temple- 28/44 for 363 yds (28 points)
7. Tulane- 21/30 for 358 yds (47 points)
8. Tulsa- 16/26 for 306 yds (42 points)
9. SMU- 19/33 for 350 yds (54 points)
10. Houston- 23/35 for 367 yds (45 points)
11. USF- 19/31 for 235 yds (49 points)
12. Cincy- 15/26 for 233 yds (34 points)
13. Cincy- 18/40 for 253 yds (29 points)

14. PSU- 33/53 for 479 yds (39 points).

^^ The defense rests, sycophants!

It's my prerogative. Its beyond insane to think Pry doesn't know what offenses have been doing to his D since mid season.
So if Nolan Ryan in his prime told you he was going to deliver a fastball....you would hit it? My guess is NO. But yet you knew exactly what he was going to do.

Yes, you work with the tools in your toolbox. No more recruiting of 5'10" munchkins for DB, please! Long, lean and fast from here on out. If Group of 5 programs can get them then we can, too.

In paging though a few threads tonight I have learned that PSU needs changes at DC, OC (done), OL coach, S and CB coaches. We did go 11-2, right?
Dumb fans knee jerk reactions are fun to watch. It’s not unique to PSU as every base has their emotional idiots. Coaches need to be perfect like everyone else online is.

At the same time, we possibly held Memphis to their lowest rushing total of the year?

Of course, as the game progressed, it was the battle of “Why is Memphis rushing?” vs “Why is PSU passing?”.

True. The Penn St run D played very well. Memphis had 33 rushes for 63 total yards (1.9 yards per rush).

Reactions: MaconNitt
My take on Pry is similar to my take on Rahne. Both inherited a certain philosophy/scheme from their predecessor. Both were more than capable of running it in practice and capable of running it against teams we should beat based on talent. The problems come in the 50/50 games and against teams we probably shouldn’t beat. If the playoffs are not the metric we are rating him against, he meets and sometimes exceeds expectations.

All of you advocates for this press man coverage, you were probably talking down LSU early in the year when they let Texas and Alabama beat em on a bunch of big plays.

There is no perfect defense. The modern game favors the offense as well. Alabama has more talent than ANYBODY and look at what Auburn and LSU did to them this year. We'd have some fire Saban posts here I'm sure.

Don Brown runs press man coverage almost exclusively and we mocked him for leaving KJ in single coverage which cost them the game.

So maybe just maybe one size doesn't fit every situation.

Don Brown runs press man coverage almost exclusively and we mocked him for leaving KJ in single coverage which cost them the game.

So maybe just maybe one size doesn't fit every situation.

Exactly. If we hired Don Brown tomorrow, the first time we press and get beat for a touchdown the same b*tch#ng will ensue.

Do we need to be more aggressive at times? Absolutely. Do we have to do it every single down to be successful? No.

We will never be an elite team with this defensive scheme. It's not only the defensive backs, but the interior line is average at best. Am I thrilled with our record? You bet! But to allow good or average QB's light us up game after game is unacceptable. We will never be in the playoffs unless defensive changes are made. Teams continually exploit our weaknesses week after week and we don't make the necessary adjustments quickly enough. I dread to think how teams like LSU, Clemson and Oregon would score at will.
Did Ohio State score at will against us?

Reactions: marshall23
Many do...I agree.

The 39 points is a bit misleading. Their kicker's great grandfather must be Lou Groza and his grandfathers Morten and Gary Anderson. 6 fields goals with the shortest one being in the high 30s.
It kind of looked like a Scrap, bend but don't break scheme, and that can be frustrating but in the end we won. We're the first team in an NY6 bowl to beat one of these mid major teams by two touchdowns. Terrible trap games for the blue bloods.
Seriously, it's not hard at all to see the positive side.

For as many opposing Qb's had career days against this D there were only 2 losses this season. Without Clifford having his worst game of the season(3 picks) against Minny and the turf monster tackling Dotson at the 14 with just under 2 minutes to go we might be complaining about something else today. :D

Couple things:

1) I think Wilson has shown very well for a TR FR CB... and he seems to have pretty good ball skills (wouldn't be completely shocked if they even took a look at him as a WR this spring - just due to the relative lack of quality depth at WR... especially if Hamler leaves, and a better depth situation in the defensive backfield)
And the play he made to make the interception was nice.

2) That said, on that particular play he was beaten a bit off the LOS. Fortunately, the safety (Taylor, IIRC) did a nice job of staying over the top and shutting off the top of that route - so the QB had to try to squeeze the throw into a tight window (rather than leading the WR into the end zone). That allowed Wilson - when the pass hung up a bit - to drop back and make the nice catch on the pick.

I wish more of your replies were football analysis related. But I'm more of a "glass is half full" kinda guy. I know "sweet Jeebus" go F myself :eek:

This ^^^^.

Every single team Memphis played this year played better pass D against them than Penn St did. They play in the American Athletic Conference. Let that sink in.

that to me is the issue. we were the least effective DEF against the pass of any team they played.

several posts note it could be DBs, scheme, lack of pass rush or overall talent on D. it also could be lots of 3 and outs by our O that puts D back out. in the second half of the season we certainly struggled on DEF vs pass, but in general. we also seemed to be struggling with sacks falling off from earlier. YGM was really called out for lack of performance. 4 man rush has to provide pressure to get to the elite level.

Reactions: psu00
Over the last 4 years, our D line has been less dominant. We didn't have to blitz nearly as often 2 and 3 years ago. Weaker D line = less pass rush = more pressure on guys like Reid ( who is a decent talent, for a mid major but not an elite program). Our guys never see the ball and get beat over and over. Pry is not the problem. He has kept us in every game, even when the O could not stay on the field.

Well PSU pass D was second to last in the BIG and one of worst in the country second half of the season. The coaching, the schemes and the players were all terrible. The pass rush didn't help matters either.

There is no simple answer, rather a combination of things that makes it all the more worrisome if we can fix easily.

Pry and his philosophy, schemes need to improve. I have heard in the past that his blitz packages are easy to pick up. Take away the super human effort of Micah and I shutter to think what would have happened in that game.

The players seem to make a lot of fundamental mistakes like safeties not coming over fast enough or letting guys go by them, can't tackle well, etc.

The overall talent level is not equal to that of the other positions or all of them for that matter. And the talent is far inferior to elite teams.

Roll this all together and I am dubious we can address all these issues in the off season to field a playoff team next year. Nightmares of scUM and the Luckeyes burning the secondary in a crucial part of the game next season.

Time will tell, gotta believe (hope) Pry is getting a needs improvement performance rating and I would like to see DB coaching changes.

We could have 3-5* LBs on the field 70% of the time next year. Either way, our top 6-7 LBs are all high end talent guys. That could lead to a lot of improvement next year (Brown and Johnson did good this year, but these guys could be great).

Windsor is going to be a loss. Still, I feel like he underperformed in our biggest games:

4 tkls 0 sacks 0 tfl vs Minnesota
3 - 0 - 0 vs OSU
4 - 0 - 0 vs Michigan
6 - 1.5 - 2.5 vs Iowa (wish he could have replicated this in the other 3)

YGM played great vs Ohio State, but he underwhelmed most of the year for a guy with R1 projections.

Issac and Oweh could make big jumps in '20. Hoping a couple DTs emerge and can make an impact (the one spot where we have not had an excellent, consistent disrupter; Givens staying for '19 could have been that guy in my book).

Who knows who will end up starting at CB, but I feel like Ellis, barring injury, is likely a front runner. Will TCF enter the draft? Can Donnie Johnson return from injury to nab a spot? Guys like Gordon, Wilson, Porter are going to be in the mix.

Safety returns 3 of the 4 primary guys (I don't see Wade turning pro...but he's similar to a lot of the 3rd year guys who did last year). Taylor was a tackling machine, but was not a presence in coverage. If Brisker can make the same leap Wade did, he'll be great in '20. Enzo and Jayir could come in early and see some snaps here as well.

Curious about the eventual attrition here. Draft, portal, some stuff will go down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT