ADVERTISEMENT

“Their QB was good” (Pry needs to step it up)

The pick six and the int by Wilson late in the 4th were two of the biggest plays of the game. So don’t completely discount their contribution to the win.

this was the problem with the secondary this year...you had Fields and Reid that we’re pretty disappointing and inconsistent then you had very young inexperienced guys..there was seemingly nothing in the middle and you just can’t count on Ellis or Wilson to be must have performers.

also, Taylor and Brisker couldn’t make an open field tackle to save their mothers life.

Also feel like the DLine just ran out of gas after Iowa. If Parsons wasn’t here we’d have lost 5 games this year.

I get that, I just don’t agree with. At least in regards to Penn State this year. Gross Matos had the ability to push the tackles back into the pocket that the others at end didn’t have. They were either getting there with speed or not getting there at all.
Another guy who was able to do this but never got much notice for it was Evan Schwan. He did not have anywhere near the speed of Toney, but it didn’t matter that much when he could drive the OT into the QB.

Reactions: canuckhal
I would rather have had him coming off the edge with somebody else at DT than any of the other DEs coming off the edge with him inside.

as opposed to replacing one of them with Windsor or Shelton or whomever at DT..

Our DTs just don't produce sacks.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/penn-state/2019.html

5.5 of our 41+/- sacks by our DTs by my count.

Oweh and Shaka can't move inside on that type of formation unless you are going to blitz LBs; 2 interior OL will swallow them on a 3 man rush more times than not. YGM is bigger, stronger, and just as quick. He is more likely to get through as anybody we have.

Our DTs just don't produce sacks.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/penn-state/2019.html

5.5 of our 41+/- sacks by our DTs by my count.

Oweh and Shaka can't move inside on that type of formation unless you are going to blitz LBs; 2 interior OL will swallow them on a 3 man rush more times than not. YGM is bigger, stronger, and just as quick. He is more likely to get through as anybody we have.
I get that. But Gross Matos is more likely to get to the QB than any of the other DEs and DEs are typically more likely to get to the QB than DTs. He also more likely to disrupt the pocket from DE than he is from DT.
As Norm said, it is what a lot of programs do. I just think it is getting too cute with things.

I get that. But Gross Matos is more likely to get to the QB than any of the other DEs and DEs are typically more likely to get to the QB than DTs. He also more likely to disrupt the pocket from DE than he is from DT.
As Norm said, it is what a lot of programs do. I just think it is getting too cute with things.

Agree completely. Never understood kicking Matos inside on obvious passing downs. Sounds like an indictment of the ability of the DTs to generate a pass rush.

It's a different look that a team has to prepare for. It gives you flexibility on how to attack when you are nearly positive a pass is coming. If we sat in our base formation every down, you would be fine with that?

It's a different look that a team has to prepare for. It gives you flexibility on how to attack when you are nearly positive a pass is coming. If we sat in our base formation every down, you would be fine with that?

Maybe so, but it almost never worked.

this was the problem with the secondary this year...you had Fields and Reid that we’re pretty disappointing and inconsistent then you had very young inexperienced guys..there was seemingly nothing in the middle and you just can’t count on Ellis or Wilson to be must have performers.

also, Taylor and Brisker couldn’t make an open field tackle to save their mothers life.

Also feel like the DLine just ran out of gas after Iowa. If Parsons wasn’t here we’d have lost 5 games this year.

I disagree. Ellis and Wilson will be fine. As you point out, Reid and Castro weren’t terrible, just too inconsistent.

This ^^^^.

The PSU pass D gave up over 225 more passing yards to Memphis than Cincinnati did (twice).

Every single team Memphis played this year played better pass D against them than Penn St did. They play in the American Athletic Conference. Let that sink in.

Their tailback also ran for 1,500 yards this year, but Memphis only managed 69 yards on the ground against Penn State. I am not happy we gave up that many yards, but we won by two touchdowns in a game we were favored by 7.

Reactions: marshall23
I would prefer to get pressure on the QB. I believe Gross Matos from DE provided the best option for that. Moving him inside may have provided a different look but I don’t think it provided a better option for getting pressure on the QB.

I would prefer to get pressure on the QB. I believe Gross Matos from DE provided the best option for that. Moving him inside may have provided a different look but I don’t think it provided a better option for getting pressure on the QB.

Other than the OSU game, YGM was largely absent this year. Keeping him at DE on the handful of 3rd down snaps he took lined up on the Center doesn't guarantee any more production. That's all.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
Their tailback also ran for 1,500 yards this year, but Memphis only managed 69 yards on the ground against Penn State. I am not happy we gave up that many yards, but we won by two touchdowns in a game we were favored by 7.

I hear ya. I did mention the very good rushing D in another post. ;)

To be honest, I don’t put too much weight on Vegas betting lines. The team won which was great but, (frankly), they did not look like a top team.

Mediocre or poor play, (even in a win), is what pushes the Klatt’s and Herbstreit’s to say PSU isn’t a top team, doesn’t pass the ‘eye test’, or that Wisky deserves the Rose Bowl instead. IMO this is what hurts PSU each year much more than what the big ten’s bowl record was the previous year. ;)

I hear ya. I did mention the very good rushing D in another post. ;)

To be honest, I don’t put too much weight on Vegas betting lines. The team won which was great but, (frankly), they did not look like a top team.

Mediocre or poor play, (even in a win), is what pushes the Klatt’s and Herbstreit’s to say PSU isn’t a top team, doesn’t pass the ‘eye test’, or that Wisky deserves the Rose Bowl instead. IMO this is what hurts PSU each year much more than what the big ten’s bowl record was the previous year. ;)
Talk to your therapist about this.

Agree completely. Never understood kicking Matos inside on obvious passing downs. Sounds like an indictment of the ability of the DTs to generate a pass rush.
On obvious passing downs the OL are less likely to come off the ball to block but rather get in a passive pass pro stance. This gives a quick DT an advantage. So moving Matos to DT to get other quick DEs on the field gives the defense the best option to disrupt the QB. Pry did this with Buckholtz a few years back.

Agree. In our two losses to MSU we made a very average QB look like Tom Brady in the 4th quarter. It seems like we bet on the WB being blind and with a broken arm. Our guys never get open while our defense is never within 3 yds when a catch is made. My opinion is this is at Franklin’s orders.

I recall hearing Scrap quoted once, when asked why he always played the soft-zone, bend-but-don't-break defense, to which he replied something like, "Because my boss doesn't like giving up big plays."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT