ADVERTISEMENT

133 Transfer - DeSanto?

Whereever he goes, kid's gotta work on some kind of mat game (2nd priority after maintaining a cool head). I know one program that excels at both, but as has been stated, it's gotta be a good fit for everyone.

As a fan who knows nothing about the reasons for transfer (pathology, goals, etc) I also think it would be cool if he wound up at Iowa--just a great continuation of an already great story. And I want those Hawkeyes believing they can win it all next year, so we can do it (the thing that we DO) all over again. :D
Some of them already think they’re scoring 150 next year.

Reactions: Grass and LemonPie
K_rCTW.gif

One small observation lionlover, Mrs Goldbanger is a redhead, otherwise...

One thing for sure, it's the wild west now, so if DeSanto goes anywhere but Iowa, a new name will come up the next day. Anybody can now transfer anywhere and wrestle without sitting out. Also, the NCAA has just awarded 6th years to everyone! Why not? Free transfers and free 6th years all around!

Reactions: matter7172
I respectfully disagree. This is probably the most discretionary board there is, in terms of being objective, rather than subjective. I'm fairly sure the consistent thoughts on DeSanto will echo the thoughts on him currently: A young man who had lost his control and his emotional responses at a tournament, who deserves a second chance, nothing more and nothing less.

Wow, normally I read the thread before responding. Do you really believe what you typed? Delusional at best.

Reactions: Hunter78
Judging by the incredibly poor quality of behavior by most Rutgers wrestlers, they would only exacerbate some of Austin's problems.

You do get the impression the lunatics are running the asylum on the banks of the Raritan. I agree it doesn't strike me as a good match. DeSanto seems like he needs more calming structure.

Reactions: tabenn
All things considered, I think he would detract as much as benefit our program. I think we should pass on this one.

Forget Iowa (although Gilman set a precedent for being a few bricks shy of a load), Rutger's seems like a perfect fit.

Our dual last year was a joke with half their team behaving let's say, 'questionably'. It's like the coach's pre-match pep talk was 'your going to get your asses kicked, let's go down swinging ... ' literally.

Zain could have used a boxers headgear more than wrestling gear, Nolf's knee wrenching although not an overt attempt to injure wasn't leading to an escape or reversal, I fault the ref there more for not calling a PD. On balance though, they acted like thugs in most matches.

It would be entertaining to be a fly on the wall during their practices. One would think Desanto going up against Surriano all year would benefit him from both a skills development POV as well as with his temperment. I guarantee the fur would fly several times before he learned to moderate his urges.

We really don't need that kind of thing in our room, let alone in our matches. If he learns some self control I will definitely enjoy watching him next year wherever, he is super entertaining.

Last edited:
Was in a discussion about Desanto's last match on another forum and this just dawned on me after questioning why he chose bottom if he wasn't going to even try to get up.
Desanto may have not wanted to choose bottom and was told to do so by his coaches. That may explain the chirping after the 3rd period as well as after the match. Would kinda explain why he didn't move on bottom as at that point he was "triggered" so was into throwing a fit mode as opposed to wrestling mode.

Was in a discussion about Desanto's last match on another forum and this just dawned on me after questioning why he chose bottom if he wasn't going to even try to get up.
Desanto may have not wanted to choose bottom and was told to do so by his coaches. That may explain the chirping after the 3rd period as well as after the match. Would kinda explain why he didn't move on bottom as at that point he was "triggered" so was into throwing a fit mode as opposed to wrestling mode.

I'm going to tell you right now that I thought of this exact same thing and held back on saying it because it just seemed a bridge too far. But now, after all of this information disclosure and discovery, I'm convinced this is exactly what happened. It looked like something I had never seen before, full bizarre.

It could have been anything, it was almost guaranteed that there was going to be chirping and an altercation during/after that match. The wheels were set in motion before.

I've seen DeSanto since he was young, many, many times also know a couple of people inside the program he was at (Drexel). I have often defended him. Things are often taking out of context and overblown with him. . Also, he's a different kid, and has IMO some trouble with self-control, but that is not all that uncommon with young kids.

Although his HS coaches comments in Pennlive were looked at askew by some, IMO they sum up the situation better than any message board or FRL discussion. This wasn't going to work anymore where he was, no matter what happened at NCAAs. Probably NCAAs clinched it for both sides.

Immediately, I'm sure that all the major coaches are kicking the tires. But I suspect that this may drag out for some time. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's going to take some time for a major school to get comfortable with the situation if they are talking to everyone. Which likely will happen in the right spot.

I will be on the floor, drop-dead shocked if he ends up at PSU.

I had a couple opportunities to see Austin wrestle in HS. I am far from an expert on Austin but I never witnessed any out breaks, I did however notice that he did talk to refs on occasion during his matches but never anything negative.

So I guess what Im saying is--is Austin being overly criticized for his action at NCAA's? I agree it was a little odd---but frustration can make people (especially younger people) make people do and say things that they normally would not do or say.

Reading some others insight in this thread--leads me to believe that there was trouble brewing with Austin and the coaching staff leading into NCAA, with that being said I think that there could be many factors that we are not aware of.

As for Austin ending up at PSU--only the PSU staff can make that final call if he is a fit or not.

I had a couple opportunities to see Austin wrestle in HS. I am far from an expert on Austin but I never witnessed any out breaks, I did however notice that he did talk to refs on occasion during his matches but never anything negative.

So I guess what Im saying is--is Austin being overly criticized for his action at NCAA's? I agree it was a little odd---but frustration can make people (especially younger people) make people do and say things that they normally would not do or say.

Reading some others insight in this thread--leads me to believe that there was trouble brewing with Austin and the coaching staff leading into NCAA, with that being said I think that there could be many factors that we are not aware of.

As for Austin ending up at PSU--only the PSU staff can make that final call if he is a fit or not.
Was he winning when you saw him? Speaking generally, at a High Schooler's age (though I'm not excluding those younger or older), losing isn't always dealt with well, and it happens in all sports. Great coaches help these young people deal with losses in a way that makes them better athletes, AND better people.

Ok here’s the master plan on taking DeSanto, allowing for the RBY OTC rumor and sitting nobody over the next four years (Busiello not in the scenario - still a verbal and lesser known weight, but a case can be made where only one guy needs to sit for 1 season if he’s thrown in the mix)...

125 - Teasdale - TR Frosh
133 - DeSanto - TR Soph
141 - Lee - TR Soph
*Teske RS
*RBY OTC

125 - Teske - RS Frosh
133 - DeSanto - TR JR
141 - Lee - TR JR
*Teasdale RS
*RBY RS

125 - Teske - RS Soph
133 - Teasdale - RS Soph
141 - RBY - RS Frosh
149 - Lee - TR Senior
*DeSanto RS

125 - Teske - RS Jr
133 - Teasdale - RS Jr
141 - RBY - RS Soph
149 - DeSanto - RS Senior
*Lee has graduated

Reactions: Dogwelder
Ok here’s the master plan on taking DeSanto, allowing for the RBY OTC rumor and sitting nobody over the next four years (Busiello not in the scenario - still a verbal and lesser known weight, but a case can be made where only one guy needs to sit for 1 season if he’s thrown in the mix)...

125 - Teasdale - TR Frosh
133 - DeSanto - TR Soph
141 - Lee - TR Soph
*Teske RS
*RBY OTC

125 - Teske - RS Frosh
133 - DeSanto - TR JR
141 - Lee - TR JR
*Teasdale RS
*RBY RS

125 - Teske - RS Soph
133 - Teasdale - RS Soph
141 - RBY - RS Frosh
149 - Lee - TR Senior
*DeSanto RS

125 - Teske - RS Jr
133 - Teasdale - RS Jr
141 - RBY - RS Soph
149 - DeSanto - RS Senior
*Lee has graduated
With your scenario, Nick Lee is bumping to 149 in 2021, that then causes either Verkleeren or Berge to have to sit. As a coach and fan, nice problem to have, having too much talent.

Nope. Just watched the match (trackwrestling has matside cameras. Well worth the $15). He chose down before he even looked at his coaches. Who confirmed his choice. I don't know what Austin was thinking, but he definitely didn't think he'd get hit with stalling enough to tie the score.

With your scenario, Nick Lee is bumping to 149 in 2021, that then causes either Verkleeren or Berge to have to sit. As a coach and fan, nice problem to have, having too much talent.

That’s assuming Berge and/or Verk can still hold 149 by 2021...

It could have been anything, it was almost guaranteed that there was going to be chirping and an altercation during/after that match. The wheels were set in motion before.

I've seen DeSanto since he was young, many, many times also know a couple of people inside the program he was at (Drexel). I have often defended him. Things are often taking out of context and overblown with him. . Also, he's a different kid, and has IMO some trouble with self-control, but that is not all that uncommon with young kids.

Although his HS coaches comments in Pennlive were looked at askew by some, IMO they sum up the situation better than any message board or FRL discussion. This wasn't going to work anymore where he was, no matter what happened at NCAAs. Probably NCAAs clinched it for both sides.

Immediately, I'm sure that all the major coaches are kicking the tires. But I suspect that this may drag out for some time. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's going to take some time for a major school to get comfortable with the situation if they are talking to everyone. Which likely will happen in the right spot.

I will be on the floor, drop-dead shocked if he ends up at PSU.
Agree on last point, though according to the ultimate Iowa insider, bbwretler, Cael is going “HARD” after AD for 141. That guy knows everything! ;)

But seriously, if Iowa lands Austin there will be some funny insider “reasons” why he chose Iowa.

Still think he chooses Rutgers if he wants to go 141. Fairly close to home still, lots of fellow paisans, good spot in lineup.

Rumors are that coach Brands is looking to invoke the rare rule discovered by PSU fans that allows a school enter multiple guys at the same weight at NCAAs.
I think you have that confused because Penn State has entered the same guy, using 3 different names, in 3 different weight classes and nobody noticed.

That'd be unpossible. However, DeSanto can push the binder to 5 whopping inches! :)

There are so many replies to "5 Whopping Inches" going through my filthy mind.......but I think it best to let it die on the vine Just know that I am howling :)

Not sure DeSanto could handle getting his butt whipped by a healthy Spencer everyday. Poor sports often stay that way for life in my experience. Terry and Tom would certainly give Austin all the teaching and resourses necessary to be an AA. It's a mental game now for AS. Could he handle it without turning angry when things don't go his way?

I wonder what Goodale would tell Austin if he went to Rutgers, before the Penn State meet?

"Now, remember Austin, last year at Nationals against Micic...? This is how we roll against these guys!"...

Reactions: JohnBasedow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT