ADVERTISEMENT

133 Transfer - DeSanto?

I don't think this is a safe subject for this board. But it does remind me of a camping trip we had a few years back where our ground beef stayed out in the sun to long. I made the whole family 1/2 pound patties with all the fixings. 2 hours later we all came down with ass burgers syndrom. Terrible but it is treatable.

LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: SRATH
Penn State fans can't say shit about us trying to take in a problem child when Cael was the first person at DeSanto's door with a box of chocolates. Just thought I'd point that out before the crap comes pouring in.

Yeah, let's revisit what you said.

That's Patrick Downey the III. Do you remember when the Brand Bros accepted him into the Iowa wrestling program contingent upon the University approving his waiver? Why would you say that unless Penn State fans have given Iowa fans and the Brands bros shit in the past for bringing in a problem guy/agreeing to bring in a problem guy? Are you saying you were talking about ANOTHER problem child from another program?

We know what you meant when you said that, unless you want us to believe that Downey is not a problem child and DeSanto is. Is that you're saying? That Downey was not a problem at any of the wrestling programs he was a part of while in college?

Here is your problem, you are not nearly as smart as you think you are. And secondly, you suffer from the same affliction the rest of HR suffers from. You are delusional.

Go ahead and explain why you said what you said. The part in bold.

That's Patrick Downey the III. Do you remember when the Brand Bros accepted him into the Iowa wrestling program contingent upon the University approving his waiver? Why would you say that unless Penn State fans have given Iowa fans and the Brands bros shit in the past for bringing in a problem guy/agreeing to bring in a problem guy? Are you saying you were talking about ANOTHER problem child from another program?

Maybe WT is talking about the possibility Austin would go to Iowa and us criticize the decision?

Maybe WT is talking about the possibility Austin would go to Iowa and us criticize the decision?

We don't need to criticize that decision. Pat Downey is a criminal and he was welcome in the Iowa program. Turk knows this and is trying to back track now because what he said was stupid. He thinks we're all stupid enough to buy his nonsense, too.

There is only 1 group of people that know if Austin is a good fit at PSU--that is the PSU staff--If Austin comes aboard then we have the need and the staff has a plan. He is a PA wrestler and I wish the best for him

There is only 1 group of people that know if Austin is a good fit at PSU--that is the PSU staff--If Austin comes aboard then we have the need and the staff has a plan. He is a PA wrestler and I wish the best for him

Well said! I was pretty vocal after the Micic match that DeSantos should have been DQ'ed and I still stand firmly by that belief, whether he ends up with the good guys or not. I feel it was a large disservice to Austin. Actions have consequences. If he ends up in State College, I'll welcome him with open arms. He'll be a good warmup partner for RBY or Teasdale or Teske or Joe Lee or Nick Lee, good lord we're gonna be stacked.

I would be surprised if Austin DeSanto ended up at PSU. And that's not because I don't think he could succeed at PSU or that he wouldn't be able to win a spot, it's that the room is already going to be crowded at the weights he could wrestle. Right now we don't know how much Teasdale, RBY, Teske, Busiello, and Lee will grow over the next couple of years. And then you have Verkleeren and Berge sitting right there at 149/157 not far from 133/141.

But then again I'm not Cael Sanderson and I don't have all the info he has. Maybe he can come and the weights work out just fine. I don't know, but I'd be surprised.

I think it’s comical we’re debating this. If an athlete represents the program respectfully, I’m all in for bringing on someone who has made past mistakes. Kids WITHIN the program have been disciplined for mistakes made while WITHIN the program. Past mistakes outside the program are just that. It’s what makes Cael & Co. great people. I think Cael has proven his mentoring works... but he’s not perfect. TNT and TaTo have their way, Cael has his. 7 of 8. In Cael we trust.

We know what you meant when you said that, unless you want us to believe that Downey is not a problem child and DeSanto is. Is that you're saying? That Downey was not a problem at any of the wrestling programs he was a part of while in college?

Here is your problem, you are not nearly as smart as you think you are. And secondly, you suffer from the same affliction the rest of HR suffers from. You are delusional.

I read it differently than you, there’s no mention of Downey in this thread. I’m almost 100% positive that he’s saying if Iowa ends up getting DeSanto then there should be no complaints because PSU also talked to him and tried to get him. You’re simply making it out to be something it’s not.

On FRL today there lots of discussion on DeSanto.

Will give this little bit....it was mentioned about the message board post about RBY doing a year OTC (grey shirt like Beard/Brooks) and they rolled their eyes and blew it off.

take from that what you will.

Reactions: diggerpup
I read it differently than you, there’s no mention of Downey in this thread. I’m almost 100% positive that he’s saying if Iowa ends up getting DeSanto then there should be no complaints because PSU also talked to him and tried to get him. You’re simply making it out to be something it’s not.
Double Bingo

I could see it interpreted that way. My apologizes to Turk.

I'm sorry. I understand what you meant and that's a valid point.

Won’t quibble with your overstatement, but for all their gifts, Cael and Co are mere mortals (Hail Cael!). There’s one very recent and high profile example of Cael miscalculating a wrestler’s “fit” at PSU. Even Cael’s exceptional mentoring skills have limits (again, exhibit A is Suriano). From the vantage point of a homer fan lacking the facts and insight req’d to calculate the odds on whether Desanto would be a good match for PSU, bringing him in looks like a bad idea to me. Someone on the board (Hockeygod?) mentioned witnessing Desanto arguing publicly with his coaches at NCAAs and then his mother standing up from the stands and shouting at the coaches “he’s done,” or something like that. Red flags on multiple levels.

Reactions: Antaeus and Ja1339

Will give this little bit....it was mentioned about the message board post about RBY doing a year OTC (grey shirt like Beard/Brooks) and they rolled their eyes and blew it off.

What did they have to say about the message board's new found penchant for culinary adventure? Or maybe they were too busy railing against the PSU fans who keep asking dumb questions in new threads....

Won’t quibble with your overstatement, but for all their gifts, Cael and Co are mere mortals (Hail Cael!). There’s one very recent and high profile example of Cael miscalculating a wrestler’s “fit” at PSU. Even Cael’s exceptional mentoring skills have limits (again, exhibit A is Suriano). From the vantage point of a homer fan lacking the facts and insight req’d to calculate the odds on whether Desanto would be a good match for PSU, bringing him in looks like a bad idea to me. Someone on the board (Hockeygod?) mentioned witnessing Desanto arguing publicly with his coaches at NCAAs and then his mother standing up from the stands and shouting at the coaches “he’s done,” or something like that. Red flags on multiple levels.
Whatever his next destination, his mother won't yell "he's done" again -- he'll be on his second D1 school, and just ask Downey about the NCAA approving another transfer even as a grad student.

Whatever school he chooses will have all the leverage if he or his parents become difficult.

I hope he chooses a school that provides the support he needs. And he and his family have a real incentive to be on good behavior for the next 3-4 years.

Reactions: PSUbluTX

What do they know? Willie is merely our recruitung coordinator. His personal relationships can't possibly live up to message board facts or FACTS.

Whatever his next destination, his mother won't yell "he's done" again -- he'll be on his second D1 school, and just ask Downey about the NCAA approving another transfer even as a grad student.

Whatever school he chooses will have all the leverage if he or his parents become difficult.

I hope he chooses a school that provides the support he needs. And he and his family have a real incentive to be on good behavior for the next 3-4 years.

I've read this account of his mom yelling that a few times but I don't understand the context of it. Was she yelling that he was mentally done that day? What was the implication of yelling that? That he was done at Drexel?

Then the question is how does Austin respond to getting beat by Spencer in the room? Does he blow up in anger and attempt to injure Spencer?

I'm imagining Austin going to Iowa and Spencer going on a mission to remind him on a daily basis, during practice, that Austin's victory over him was a fluke. Can't imagine Austin will need to yell at Spencer in practice to pick it up.

I've read this account of his mom yelling that a few times but I don't understand the context of it. Was she yelling that he was mentally done that day? What was the implication of yelling that? That he was done at Drexel?

Or did she mean that he should be done wrestling in the tourney because of his behavior?

I can't say how major the altercation was with his coaches from my seats, but after Desanto's overtime loss to DelVecchio there was a minor public display of emotions with the coaches because they wouldn't challenge the take down (if they had any to use, I have no idea.)

I also watched him after his loss in Cleveland and then saw him yelling at a Drexel coach at the entrance of the tunnel. My thoughts were I felt bad for the coach as the exchange was in public view.

All wins and loses are on the wrestler. As Cael has said he himself scored no points at Nationals. It was his team.

I also watched the Micic match, DeSanto deserved a flagrant misconduct.

Wherever he goes, I hope both parties do their due diligence.

Reactions: lionlover
I wonder what he has accomplished since committing to Drexel in Aug 2016.
Cael is like Franklin, once a kid commits elsewhere, he stops calling. :) ADS worked his ass off to get better........chasing Spencer. It has paid off for the guy. If we had wanted him, we would have found a way to make it work. Given the talent on the books, I would be stunned if we got creative for ADS.

Cael is like Franklin, once a kid commits elsewhere, he stops calling. :) ADS worked his ass off to get better........chasing Spencer. It has paid off for the guy. If we had wanted him, we would have found a way to make it work. Given the talent on the books, I would be stunned if we got creative for ADS.
You know how it goes though if Cael wants a committed kid - Cael sends his minions (e.g. Nolf, Nickal, etc) to go jet-skiing with the kid or whatnot to prey on his mind and get him to flip. Or so I’ve read.o_O

Funniest part of all this: "The Mat" with multiple "RBY is going to OTC" threads. LOL. The jealousy and hate over there is hysterical.

I witnessed it and I understood "done at Drexel" . It followed the match where he left the mat yelling in his coaches face and pointing his finger angrily at him..

Reactions: PSUaggie
Honestly, I just don't see DeSanto coming here. I remember thinking earlier this season that he seems to wrestle our style, with the non-stop motor and always pushing the action and looking to score. I loved watching him in high school. I went into the NCAA tournament as a big fan. (I hadn't seen his EIWA semi, which I watched later and that seemed like he was trying to injure the kid from Cornell's knee). Then, after his actions with Micic, and putting his hands on the ref, I felt he should have been removed from the tournament. He then gets in the shouting matches with his coaches after his loss in the R12. To say I lost a lot of respect for him is an understatement.

However, I believe in 2nd chances, especially for someone with his age and his reported medical condition. I really hope that he figures out how to handle his losses and goes on to a great career.

I don't think PSU is the right place, though I'll trust Cael as always. We just have a crowd already. However, perhaps Cael saw something in DeSanto and thinks he can be our best option moving forward, with some coaching and work on his personal issues.

In the end, I think he will go elsewhere, and I hope he turns it around.

My biggest problem is that he didn't release any kind of apology for his actions, nor has he spoken about them to my knowledge.

Wherever he goes, I wish him well. I love comeback stories like Chance Marsteller and Seth Gross. While his isn't quite on that level, I'd like him to find success and the ability to handle losses with class and dignity.

Does anyone know why he would be blaming his coach for the loss ? Or why his parents would agree with him and say he is done with DRexel

Reactions: lionlover
The "Widow Jane" is a new move which is a cross between the Nolf Matrix and the Bo Gator Roll. Of course it was invented after consuming a bottle of Widow Jane, so there's that.

As long as it wasn’t tested on a Mrs Goldbanger or other SO.

As long as it wasn’t tested on a Mrs Goldbanger or other SO.
K_rCTW.gif

Does anyone know why he would be blaming his coach for the loss ? Or why his parents would agree with him and say he is done with DRexel
He got 4 stalling calls in third period and with Scott D’s last second RT point it pushed the match into OT... Austin was prolly mad at his coaches for not Making him more aware of the situation...

Whereever he goes, kid's gotta work on some kind of mat game (2nd priority after maintaining a cool head). I know one program that excels at both, but as has been stated, it's gotta be a good fit for everyone.

As a fan who knows nothing about the reasons for transfer (pathology, goals, etc) I also think it would be cool if he wound up at Iowa--just a great continuation of an already great story. And I want those Hawkeyes believing they can win it all next year, so we can do it (the thing that we DO) all over again. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT