ADVERTISEMENT

1st round playoff game on the 🛣?

Aug 28, 2014

New @CFBPlayoff Executive Director Rich Clark on the Selection Committee picking the first round home teams

"Weather, Hotel availability, Ticket Sales.."

Bad 🌨 🤔

Lack of 🏨 🤔

Are we on the 🛣 for the 1st round???

I’m certain we will have a bye in the first round.

No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Reactions: bdroc
If you didn't realize that they've been picking who, where, and when for, well, forever then rethink things.

This defeats the whole home playoff game advantage.

Ticket sales is just stupid. Every school in the playoff will sell out and capacities will all be acceptable. The only issues would be if Northwestern and Vanderbilt make it or if they decide to give a Liberty type school a home game.

Weather? That’s life and you adapt. If they start giving SEC and Big 12 teams home games instead of the Big Ten because it can get chilly in December up North, then the whole process is a farce. If you deserve the higher ranking and home game then you should get it- even if you’re playing in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

I can see a lot of home cooking in the rankings as we come to the end of the year to make sure games stay south.

Hotel availability? Are schools supposed to now reserve and block local hotels for weeks in December ‘just in case’?

And who are the hotels for, other than visiting teams and officials? Are they expecting the Beav or the Shoe to reserve 25,000 tickets for the visiting team fans?

Well, rates for Dec 20 and 21 in State College are $650 a night for the Residence Inn and Courtyard so I guess that’s a yes. 😉

Wait until hotels decide there will be no cancellations allowed. University has to reserve a hotel just in case, but then they fail to make the playoff, (or get sent on the road because it’s chilly up North), the university is on the hook for the rooms.

Last edited:
It was obvious something like this could happen under this format. The committee has always abandoned logic when necessary to get the teams and matchups they want. Why would it be any different now? This sport is long overdue in ditching the subjectivity that is rife with possibility for favoritism and corruption.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT