ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 1 Thread

The arguments about pins the refs aren't calling are valid, but the opponents-are-wrestling-to-not-get-pinned thoughts are excuses. We dominate the Most Dominant standings, and the matches which got us there didn't have a bunch of guys dying to be pinned. I'll bet the three Iowa falls in round one had guys who didn't want to get pinned. Find a way, impose your will.

The arguments about pins the refs aren't calling are valid, but the opponents-are-wrestling-to-not-get-pinned thoughts are excuses. We dominate the Most Dominant standings, and the matches which got us there didn't have a bunch of guys dying to be pinned. I'll bet the three Iowa falls in round one had guys who didn't want to get pinned. Find a way, impose your will.

Don’t agree with this. If a wrestler is specifically wrestling no to get pinned, then its likely that they aren’t wrestling to win either, i.e. they aren’t being aggressive and exposing themselves. Example - look at results when Sorenson wrestles Zain to win like last year and when he wrestles not to lose big like the BIG finals this year.

Reactions: LionHoya
Don’t agree with this. If a wrestler is specifically wrestling no to get pinned, then its likely that they aren’t wrestling to win either, i.e. they aren’t being aggressive and exposing themselves. Example - look at results when Sorenson wrestles Zain to win like last year and when he wrestles not to lose big like the BIG finals this year.
Now Iowa's had 4 guys who didn't care about getting pinned. Guess we just had an unlucky draw.

These guys have also all qualified for nationals, so to a large degree, you're talking about really great wrestlers with outstanding skills, but to get to NCAA's and turtle out knowing that it guarantees your loss is on the defensive wrestler and the refs. Admittedly, when it happens and if the refs allow it, you have to adjust, but......

I wonder if Rasheed was not completely open about his health after the wrestle-off

There was an article earlier this week that said Cael wanted Rasheed to cut his hair and he decided not to.

It was during the Media interviews before they left campus. The coaches told him to cut it and Shak at first said he would, then he thought about how long he has been growing it and decided not to cut it so he got the skull cap. He said he will cut it soon.

285: #3 seed Nick Nevills vs. Stephen Suglio (Kent State)

Unfortunately for the Nevills family, Nick and AJ are wrestling at the same time.

Per 1
Suglio in on a low single, Nick counters, and eventually a stalemate with 51 sec left. Nick In on a double and gets the TD, 2-0 with 30 sec left. End. RT @ 32 sec for Nevills

Per 2
Suglio takes neutral. Suglioin on a low single, Nick working some funk, ends up with Suglio's leg and has him dancing then tripped to the mat for the TD, 4-0. Nick gets a tilt and gets 4 NF, 8-0. OOB with 8 sec. End. RT @ 1:35 for Nevills

Per 3
Nevills takes top. He works an arm bar, and he tilts him, and has him in trouble. And there's the pin @ 5:24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally a pin for PSU

Nice getting big points from a heavyweight. That was awesome. Should've been the 3rd fall of the day for us.

Nice getting big points from a heavyweight. That was awesome. Should've been the 3rd fall of the day for us.

Quite possibly. I thought Retherford definitely had his guy pinned. Rasheed was very close but couldn't tell for sure.

Team scores with most of R1 completed:

1. Iowa - 18.5
2. Ohio State - 17
3. PSU - 16
4. NC State - 12
5. Michigan - 11 (Coon is still wrestling)
6. ASU - 9
7. Rutgers - 8.5
8. Cornell - 8
9. Lehigh - 7
9. Minny - 7
9. Ok. St. - 7
9. Wisconsin - 7

Ohio State advanced 10 to R2. Iowa advanced 7 of 8. PSU advanced 7 of 9. NC State advanced 8 of 9

Reactions: ScottH
how about a golf clap for the hawks being in 1st place after round 1.

not sure if this is good or bad for the HR. the regulars know what is up, but their Bball and football guys are going to go bonkers tomorrow, I predict.
giphy.gif

Team scores with most of R1 completed:

1. Iowa - 18.5
2. Ohio State - 17
3. PSU - 16
4. NC State - 12
5. Michigan - 11 (Coon is still wrestling)
6. ASU - 9
7. Rutgers - 8.5
8. Cornell - 8
9. Lehigh - 7
9. Minny - 7
9. Ok. St. - 7
9. Wisconsin - 7

Ohio State advanced 10 to R2. Iowa advanced 7 of 8. PSU advanced 7 of 9. NC State advanced 8 of 9
Interesting that OSU got 3 more wins in the 1st round yet only leads PSU by a point. Sure that gives them more potential points, but clearly our winners on the whole outperformed theirs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT