ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 1 Thread

Between the refs not calling pins for Zain and Shak as well as other guys not scoring more bonus points, PSU easily left 3 points or more out there that round.

Reactions: pawrest01
Should've been the 3rd fall of the day for us.

Nonsense.

Rasheed had his guy in a cradle. Depending on how the guys are aligned, those can be tough pins to determine. The ref's head was 1-2 feet from the opponent's back. He had a much better view than did those of us watching ESPNU or the video stream on ESPN3. If the ref didn't call the pin, it's highly likely that it was not attained.

Zain was the other possible pin. He may have had it. As I recall the action, the opponent got taken to his back opposite of where the ref was. The ref moved to his left and started swiping, but Zain was between him and the opponent for a bit. By the time the ref had a clear view, the opponent was not pinned. That's just the nature of wrestling.

Most (5 or 6 out of 8) of ESPN commentators are horrible. They mispronounce and butcher wrestler names; they call moves by the wrong names constantly; they give wrong scores and information, etc. The guy on mat #7 is torturous. The only reason I listen is because I like to hear the background sounds, referee calls, and crowd noise. Where do they find these incompetent announcers?

Team scores with most of R1 completed:

1. Iowa - 18.5
2. Ohio State - 17
3. PSU - 16
4. NC State - 12
5. Michigan - 11 (Coon is still wrestling)
6. ASU - 9
7. Rutgers - 8.5
8. Cornell - 8
9. Lehigh - 7
9. Minny - 7
9. Ok. St. - 7
9. Wisconsin - 7

Ohio State advanced 10 to R2. Iowa advanced 7 of 8. PSU advanced 7 of 9. NC State advanced 8 of 9

8 of 9 ;)

Final standings after Round 1:

1. Iowa - 18.5
2. Ohio State - 17
3. PSU - 16
4. Michigan - 13
5. NC State - 12
6. ASU - 9
7. Rutgers - 8.5
8. Cornell - 8
8. Lehigh - 8
10. Minny - 7
10. Ok. St. - 7
10. Wisconsin - 7

Nonsense.

Rasheed had his guy in a cradle. Depending on how the guys are aligned, those can be tough pins to determine. The ref's head was 1-2 feet from the opponent's back. He had a much better view than did those of us watching ESPNU or the video stream on ESPN3. If the ref didn't call the pin, it's highly likely that it was not attained.

Zain was the other possible pin. He may have had it. As I recall the action, the opponent got taken to his back opposite of where the ref was. The ref moved to his left and started swiping, but Zain was between him and the opponent for a bit. By the time the ref had a clear view, the opponent was not pinned. That's just the nature of wrestling.
Fair enough. The view on tv seemed like we got shafted a bit. Althought Cael and Co would've probably challenged Sheed's if he did.

Updated Tom McA's list with Coon's MD.
Moved Mich to 4th place.

Also a correction at #6. It's OK ST with 9, per the ESPN graphic, not ASU. (But stay tuned, in case of an error on some list.)

They only showed the first 7 teams.

Team scores with most of R1 completed:

1. Iowa - 18.5
2. Ohio State - 17
3. PSU - 16
4. Michigan - 13 (Coon added a MD)
5. NC State - 12
6. Ok St - 9
7. Rutgers - 8.5
8. Cornell - 8
9. Lehigh - 7
9. Minny - 7
9. Ok. St. - 7
9. Wisconsin - 7

Ohio State advanced 10 to R2.
Iowa advanced 7 of 8.
PSU advanced 7 of 9.
NC State advanced 8 of 9

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
I think I am more angry about Amine handing Hayes the match with stupidity in the top position than I am about Lee getting caught. The one thing that has scared me about Lee is the strength situation, as in he's got less of it than seemingly everyone he wrestles. Whether his season ends tonight, or hopefully Saturday, I hope he spends the entire offseason holed up in the weight room.

#2 Darmstadt was in a tight scoreless bout against Smith from WVU going into the 3rd before sucking the wind out the kid on top and reversing him for a 3-0 win. Not an impressive score but Ben walked off looking like he hadn't even wrestled. Great tank and a terrific rider.

I think I am more angry about Amine handing Hayes the match with stupidity in the top position than I am about Lee getting caught. The one thing that has scared me about Lee is the strength situation, as in he's got less of it than seemingly everyone he wrestles. Whether his season ends tonight, or hopefully Saturday, I hope he spends the entire offseason holed up in the weight room.

was literally the dumbest I've ever seen someone wrestle .....

how about a golf clap for the hawks being in 1st place after round 1.

not sure if this is good or bad for the HR. the regulars know what is up, but their Bball and football guys are going to go bonkers tomorrow, I predict.

I can be as nasty as the next guy, but I ain't wishin they get the clap!

Reactions: 1AA
#2 Darmstadt was in a tight scoreless bout against Smith from WVU going into the 3rd before sucking the wind out the kid on top and reversing him for a 3-0 win. Not an impressive score but Ben walked off looking like he hadn't even wrestled. Great tank and a terrific rider.
I think I heard that Darmstadt is about 6'4''. He's like Lebron James out there @197. He doesn't take very good shots but he scrambles incredibly well, reverses easily and rides so tough. You don't want to find yourself underneath him.

That's the Spirit!

:p

giphy.gif

Reactions: T J
I think I heard that Darmstadt is about 6'4''. He's like Lebron James out there @197. He doesn't take very good shots but he scrambles incredibly well, reverses easily and rides so tough. You don't want to find yourself underneath him.

He looks like Rasheed, only he can ride like all getup (not that Shaq is a bad rider).

was literally the dumbest I've ever seen someone wrestle .....
You should watch the Semi between bojo and realbuto from last years nationals if you want to see someone do something way dumber at the end of a match. Realbuto did the only thing that could have lost him the match for no reason

Strange thread. Team rolls up seven consecutive bonus wins and the fans are moaning the whole way!

We’re accustomed to winning it all and fans realize how deep Bucks are and what kind of an effort we need to win again this year

Strange thread. Team rolls up seven consecutive bonus wins and the fans are moaning the whole way!
Well, it's like the football team. If they don't win every game 59 - 0, and beat OSU and Michigan 6 consecutive times each, then we suck.

Many guys forget that the other team is competing too!

Reactions: nitlion6
You should watch the Semi between bojo and realbuto from last years nationals if you want to see someone do something way dumber at the end of a match. Realbuto did the only thing that could have lost him the match for no reason

yeah ... that was really bad as well. and in a bigger bout

Reactions: tylersmyth
Bucks are clear favorites in 9 matches tonight.

Iowa will probably loose 3 and back down to 2-4th. How good did they wrestle today!

We could loose 1-2 pretty easily tonight, maybe even 3.

Tomorrow morning gets tougher for the Bucks but a couple upsets happened that makes their path look easier at this point.

Pure stupidity by Malik Amine. First, to just hang on the legs and give up the stall point. Much better to just cut Hayes at that point. Then to give up the last second reversal to lose. Credit to Hayes, but pathetic by Amine.

Regarding Lee, I don't think it's a strength issue. Rather, he seems to lack awareness at times and too often gives up big moves or silly takedowns. Talented, but just too many mistakes. He is, however, a true freshman.

Tough start but the boys picked up the pace. We were up screaming for our local boy Orndorff to get one more td! Keep on rolling fellas

Reactions: lionlover
Friday is always the best day for me with the cream rising to the top. Always see some upsets in the blood round too.

Bucks are clear favorites in 9 matches tonight.

Maybe on paper, but until they show something better than their first round effort, I’m putting BoJo and Moore on upset alert. Tan Tom only has so many lunger bricks, although, when it comes to massaging the rulebook, Tan Tom seems to find a way.

Plus, Korbin Myers is the pride of Boiling Springs. I’m calling him for a W over Pletcher

Ohio State may be the favorite in 9 matches, but 4 of their their guys (Pletcher, Hayes, Jordan, Moore) wrestled so shakily that one has to like the possibility of at least one of them losing. Maybe more.

PSU will probably have more bonus points after this round. If Keener and Lee both win in consies (possible). If PSU wins all of their second round matches, gets one from Keener or Lee, and gets bonus points while OSU wins 8 out of 10, PSU may even have the lead.

It is, however, possible that PSU will pay eventually for Ohio State somehow managing to win all of their matches this afternoon even while wrestling like dog crap in so many of them....

Have you seen a luckier beginning to a tourney?

Pletcher wins 2-1 - although that's not so much luck, as "typical Pletcher"

Hayes gasses, stalls like crazy, gets ridden out, gets reversed, and ... still wins quite literally because his opponent (not well known for great decisions; see: Retherford's match with him) does something incredibly dumb.

Campbell got lucky by getting seeded, which is proof that coaches shouldn't have any business setting the brackets. Against a better opponent, it's not likely he wins any match in this tournament. Oh, yeah, and he was close against that guy today anyway.

Bo Jordan does what Bo Jordan does now - wrestled as tight to the vest as possible - got knocked for stalling in SV (can you believe that?! That's how tight he wrestles!) and manages to win

Kollin Moore lets a dude in on his legs more times than I care to count, including near the buzzer, and .... wins

*vomit*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT