ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Had high hopes for Barbir seeing as how our last kicker from Georgia was pretty damn good.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Now that we lost a kicker, I think we all know why our coach recruited a kicker.

Seems like he knew way ahead of time.

Yep, he's actually in charge.....

Seriously, with the 85 scholarship limit, early NFL entry, players transferring for playing time, etc...... roster management is ever more important to entering a season with the talent and depth necessary to win games. And CJF keeps looking like he is all over it!

Last edited:
OR

We lost a kicker BECAUSE we recruited another kicker.

Basic 2 way street. Barbir was recruited because he had the makings of a top college football kicker. If he does not progress towards that, to be competitive CJF must recruit another kicker. Barbir can either stay and keep trying to improve, knowing that if he does not improve he likely won't be the PSU full time kicker. Or he can move on to another school where the kicking situation may be more favorable for him competing to be the #1 kicker. If he was really in love with PSU, I would expect him to stay. Hope he had that choice....... i.e. to stay at least until he got his degree (3+ calendar years of classes is the model that CJF stresses)

Last edited:
OR

We lost a kicker BECAUSE we recruited another kicker.
Well certaintly that is probably true to some extent, but it also shows a coach who puts an emphasis on all 3 phases of the game. In order for one to walk he must have felt he wasn't going to get his chance as apparently the preferred walk ons were higher up the list.

No.

Nearly impossible to get a BS degree in that time frame, especially for a "student-athlete" (simple math, been discussed here before).

The track that CJF references (and presents to families) is 3 1/2 years - ie A kid completing his degree requirements in the fall of his 4th year (RS Junior or True Senior - guys like Cabinda, Gesicki, and Marcus Allen), and being able to leave at that time to pursue NFL dreams - if the opportunity presents itself - and going on to the "combine/workout circuit" after that fall semester with degree in hand.

3 years plus a semester. Obviously it depends upon the kids discipline and time management. It seems there are many more options to take condensed classes during special "semesters" these days than when I attended. My two sons have the option (in grad school) to take condensed classes during winter break (really a short semester), and that was not an option when I attended PSU. Obviously there are also on line classes as well.

The other factor is the curriculum. When I attended I needed 144 credits in engineering, but there were many majors that required only 120.

But if a player shows up in for the first summer session and takes advantage of the options to take classes, keeps an aggressive workload, he would have the option to graduate in considerably less than 4 years within many majors.

Didn't see this posted here yet. We picked up another crystal ball for Tyreke Smith yesterday from a Louisville insider. He's 18 for 19 on his CB predictions this cycle...
Dumb question about the crystal ball accuracy, but don't all of these analysts change crystal ball picks all the time? How in the world are they measured on accuracy when they might put in a CB for 10 different schools during a player's recruitment? All they need to do is get the last one correct once the pick is relatively obvious and they are "accurate?" It just seems like a weird metric to me. If one of them was 18 of 19 on their first CB pick for a recruit then I'd be impressed.

Reactions: GregInPitt
We aren't "losing" these guys, they are being processed for lack of a better term. None are grad transfers near as I can tell and none are leaving without a release that would require them to wait a year to play FBS. My understanding is all were granted a release and can play FBS immediately, albeit I am sure Franklin/PSU has some restrictions in there.

Dumb question about the crystal ball accuracy, but don't all of these analysts change crystal ball picks all the time? How in the world are they measured on accuracy when they might put in a CB for 10 different schools during a player's recruitment? All they need to do is get the last one correct once the pick is relatively obvious and they are "accurate?" It just seems like a weird metric to me. If one of them was 18 of 19 on their first CB pick for a recruit then I'd be impressed.
I'm really not the guy to answer this, but there does seem to be a small group of insiders who tend to be, in the end, more accurate with their CBs than others. That said, the simple fact that some insider gives a CB to PSU bodes well, at least for the moment. Plus you got to look at the aggregate: if 95% of the insiders have a CB to PSU, then that's more telling than if 35% do.

Reactions: T J and BVSt.Paul
I'm really not the guy to answer this, but there does seem to be a small group of insiders who tend to be, in the end, more accurate with their CBs than others. That said, the simple fact that some insider gives a CB to PSU bodes well, at least for the moment. Plus you got to look at the aggregate: if 95% of the insiders have a CB to PSU, then that's more telling than if 35% do.
its' free information and, at least to some extent, shows where a recruit is trending based on recent information available. TIFWIW

Reactions: LionJim
We aren't "losing" these guys, they are being processed for lack of a better term. None are grad transfers near as I can tell and none are leaving without a release that would require them to wait a year to play FBS. My understanding is all were granted a release and can play FBS immediately, albeit I am sure Franklin/PSU has some restrictions in there.

You seem to be guessing, and generalizing. "as I can tell"..... Actually, until more information is available, you or any of us, can not tell.

I believe the news releases did say these two players were granted releases, and I expect CJF to grant releases for any players that want to transfer, for most any reason. And it is common for coaches to restrict some transfers from going to teams on a team's schedule for instance.

But if it was released that these are grad transfers, or if they are not, that detail has not been available here so far.......

As for Robinson, he has had the opportunity to get a PSU degree, having been on campus for 3 seasons. It is reasonable to assume all PSU fans wish him the best, wherever he may end up playing football as well as continuing his education. It seems as though CJF has committed to supporting his recruits in that regard (3 years of scholarship), but some may choose to leave before they have had a chance to get a degree and those details may never be confirmed or made public.

Not a dumb question, it's a fair point. However, until the CBs actually change, it still points to good news. Wiltfong, for instance, seems to often change his CBs but he usually ultimately ends up being correct. You could look at it as not meaning much because his prediction could change. But you could also look at it as being a strong indicator unless and until he changes it. Also, 247 uses some algorithm to assign these guys points that takes into account how long they have had their CB in. Provides some incentive for them to stick to their guns (but only if the predictor cares about being assessed by 247 as a top 'expert', obviously).

Obviously, the CBs are far from definite and something that only obsessive fans like me monitor. But still, nice to see it trending the right way for PSU and interesting that a Louisville guy who does not predict often would log one here.

Reactions: Judge Smails

The "release" only allows them to transfer and receive financial aid in their first at the receiving school. To play requiress an NCAA waiver, which typically is granted for cause.

Reactions: bmw199
The "release" only allows them to transfer and receive financial aid in their first at the receiving school. To play requiress an NCAA waiver, which typically is granted for cause.
Yep, point is we aren't losing these guys, they are being made to see the light.

Micah has always been high in the national rankings.

#4 in the nation is a very impressive achievement for Micah Parsons, as he closes in on his signing date.

Congratulations Micah!

4_7646016.jpg

MICAH
PARSONS

HIGH SCHOOL

5-Star
  • WDE
  • 6-3
  • CLASS OF 18
HARRISBURG, PA(HARRISBURG)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —

U.S. ARMY ALL-AMERICAN BOWL

Last edited:
OSU lost a 5* DE Brenton Cox - seems to favor flavor of the month Georgia. Heard this hurts with Smith - maybe helps with Parsons. These next two weeks are gonna be nuts...

Reactions: grinagrin
OSU lost a 5* DE Brenton Cox - seems to favor flavor of the month Georgia. Heard this hurts with Smith - maybe helps with Parsons. These next two weeks are gonna be nuts...

Not sure why it would necessarily help them for Smith, other than it gives OSU's staff the opportunity to go after him even harder. Smith was going to be a take for them whether or not Cox was in the class.

Reactions: NJPSU and LionJim

LOL

Ozone poster

"PSU trolls on twitter are going around posting screen shots on recruits' twitter where Larry Johnson Jr. said "Pops tryna retire soon". Saw It on Cox twitter. LJ Sr. should tells son to STFU and not mess with his job."

It's a big loss for OSU ... they graduate 2 DE and another one leaving early for the NFL. They currently have 0 commits for DE so goes without saying Urbs will be full court press on Oweh Smith and Parsons

It's a big loss for OSU ... they graduate 2 DE and another one leaving early for the NFL. They currently have 0 commits for DE so goes without saying Urbs will be full court press on Oweh Smith and Parsons
That's awesome... having watched a lot of camp film (nike, rivals, etc) this past summer, he's the one I was most worried about. He took some reps off but when he went hard was unblockable. Even more so than Taron Vincent. Athleticism is close to Parsons.

I trust CJF's ability to identify, recruit, and coach Quarterbacks. He's hit a home run with Trace, and has Tommy in the wings, with other talent on the squad (Clifford) or on the way.

PSU's future success is helped greatly by a strong outlook at QB.

"I'm going to Penn State this weekend and I'm going to Georgia next weekend," Parsons said. "Those will be my final two visits.

"Honestly, I'm not really expecting anything other than bonding with the guys at Penn State," he said. "I want to be with the people I'll potentially be with for the next four years. That's what I'm looking for, bonding time with the players and coaches. The coaches could have something different planned for this weekend and I'm sure that would be fun too"

https://n.rivals.com/news/two-final-official-visits-for-5-star-micah-parsons-before-dec-20-decision

How heavy do you think their course loads are, especially during fall (football) semester?
I know for a fact that OSU was selling their "trimester" system as a part of their recruiting pitch, basically saying "you won't have to worry about academics during football season." Pretty sure OSU has since been forced to switch to semesters (or maybe quarters) due a change in state law.
3 other highly rated recruits are on flip watch from Ohio State's class. Woodbey, Proctor and Emory Jones.
OSU has been anticipating the defection of 5-star QB Emory Jones (most likely to Alabama). They made a strong push for a Kentucky commit who just flipped to Miami today.

--

One thing that has been consistent since CJF & staff arrived on campus in Happy Valley -- they've had a real knack for identifying talent before everyone else. This class is so loaded with so many awesome prospects. It's going to be like this every year from now on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT