ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Bench coach is right up there. Its strange the way they said 'invited back.' Does that mean its up to the new manager or the new manager has to keep them?
Could be a classy move by Middleton assuring the "in limbo" coaches another year's paycheck in case they are not retained by the new manager. As Phillies fans, at least we have a guy who spends. Reminds me of Ed Snider and the Flyers before the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Could it be Wathan

My buddy played with him in the Mariners organization and he got us tickets to a series with the Nationals this season right behind the Phils dug out and some other cool perks for our kids. Wathan is a really interesting, nice dude and is one of the best coaches out there...why not give him a chance

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Good hire, good experience. He struggled at times getting along with players in the clubhouse. He and Gary Sanchez clashes at the end. He struggled with veteran players in the clubhouse a lot for the yanks. Lot of tension with some vets. However everyone has their flaws and he is a really solid manager outside of that head scratching playoff series against the Indians his last season in the Bronx, they won that series but it was the final nail in the coffin as Yankees skipper. In the end you are just a glorified babysitter anymore, most of your decisions are made by the GM and analytics department. Managers have less and less impact now.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
He was a good manager with the Yankees, but will have challenges making the Phils a contender. Nola is the only ace pitcher and the hitting is underwhelming. A different batting coach could improve the hitting (maybe). Not sure how to quickly improve the pitching.

He was a good manager with the Yankees, but will have challenges making the Phils a contender. Nola is the only ace pitcher and the hitting is underwhelming. A different batting coach could improve the hitting (maybe). Not sure how to quickly improve the pitching.
I would be stunned if the Phillies failed to try to significantly upgrade their rotation this offseason. Their hands are still a bit tied with owing Arrieta one more year at $25 million, but I think they’ll try to acquire 1-2 good starters and a closer.

Would the Phillies open the bank needed to get Strasburg now? Rendon's a free agent as well....Franco?

Would the Phillies open the bank needed to get Strasburg now? Rendon's a free agent as well....Franco?

The concern on Strasburg is his injury history. Zach Wheeler probably makes more sense and certainly the Phils will pursue Hamels. Many think the Phils will pass on Rendon and look to Alec Bohm to be the third baseman in 2021.

The concern on Strasburg is his injury history. Zach Wheeler probably makes more sense and certainly the Phils will pursue Hamels. Many think the Phils will pass on Rendon and look to Alec Bohm to be the third baseman in 2021.

Why would you say Wheeler has a better injury history than Strasburg?

Why would you say Wheeler has a better injury history than Strasburg?

I think it makes more sense to pursue Wheeler, primarily due to length and amount of contract. Both carry some risk. Strasburg will be looking for a five year contract. No doubt the Phils will pursue both, but I think Strasburg stays with the Nats or the Yankees land him.

Gleb says they are going after Cole. I wouldn’t be surprised if they spend $80M aav again this year. Middleton can’t be happy with the Nats winning, and I think he goes into the luxury tax this year with the idea when Arrieta comes off the books he’ll fall out of it

Reactions: WestSideLion
Gleb says they are going after Cole. I wouldn’t be surprised if they spend $80M aav again this year. Middleton can’t be happy with the Nats winning, and I think he goes into the luxury tax this year with the idea when Arrieta comes off the books he’ll fall out of it

No doubt the Phils will pursue Cole, but there seems to be a strong conscientious that Cole wants the West Coast. Of course, people said that about Harper as well. The Phils ownership has the money to pay the luxury tax and it would be great to land Cole. Jake Odorizzi of the Twins is another pitcher I would like to see the Phils go after and they will certainly talk with Bumgarner.

Reactions: bmw199
I think it makes more sense to pursue Wheeler, primarily due to length and amount of contract. Both carry some risk. Strasburg will be looking for a five year contract. No doubt the Phils will pursue both, but I think Strasburg stays with the Nats or the Yankees land him.

I’d guess Wheeler is going to get the longer contract as he’s 3 years younger

Moose gets big deal from Reds, so takes a short term 3B option off the market

Cesar Hernandez and Mikael Franco were non-tendered, meaning they are free agents. Hernandez is a bit of a surprise, as he has some trade value. Franco, pffft. What does this mean for Kingery?

A sobering take from the Murph Man (former Phillies beat writer for the Philadelphia Daily News, and now a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer).

Go all in and sign Cole. They would be NL favorites over night.

For laughs only. Let me be clear this is not a political statement and do not comment on the political aspect, please. This is just hilarious and the comments are great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT