ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Recruiting has been up and down but it’s silly to say we haven’t recruited well at all in the last 20 years. Franklin is an excellent recruiter but before he got here 2014, O’Brien did an excellent job as well. Of course, sanctions pinched the numbers and deterred some commits so the recruiting rankings don’t reflect it but let’s not forget he pulled in Hackenberg, Brenneman, Sickles, and Mahon in 2012 before the sanctions were imposed and kept them. Before O’Brien, the 2010 class was ranked high (just outside top ten) with Hull, Jones, Bolden, Dieffenbach, Fortt, Zwinak, Olaniyan, and Redd. And in 2006 we had a top ten recruiting class with Wallace, Evans, Logan-El, Odrick, Bell, Devlin, Taylor, Quarless, Maybin, Bowman, Royster. And the year prior in 2005, we pulled in two top ten recruits in King and Williams. We didn’t have bright spots every year but we haven’t been barren for a generation.

We've recruited OK the last couple of decades but anyone who thinks we've recruited like we have the last couple of years isn't paying attention. We've recruited decent over the last couple of decades and have landed some good players each year, but it's silly to try to say we've recruited as well as we have with Franklin consistently over the last two decades because we haven't. We've recruited sporadically well over the last two decades.

As a program we haven't recruited like this in decades (the 90's). It's not about one recruit. We're talking about as a program. We are cleaning up in our traditional recruiting footprint and we're starting to pull kids from other recruiting hot beds. And the ones we don't land we are still making huge strides with. We're in the top five or three for blue chip recruits in places where most people wouldn't think we'd have any business being in. And while it might not be paying off this year, it will next year, or the year after. We will start to land those blue chip recruits more often from other places.

We've been crushing it in Virginia, landing elite blue chippers. We landed a blue chip kid from southern Florida this week and look to be the team for a 4-star QB from Oregon (the #1 player in the state). Those states have schoosl like VT and Oregon. Kids start to take notice.

PSU recruiting has changed dramatically. Paterno was an excellent recruiter in his prime, but
Pennsylvania is not turning out nearly the number of quality recruits it used to. The majority of
the class used to come from PA. with some from NJ and Ohio. It would be sprinkled with a few guys
from out of the region. Franklin has to work much harder because he has to bring in out of state/region
talent to secure a top class. He has to compete with multiple schools for most recruits. I have to admit
that I love the guy His energy, enthusiasm and love for PSU is evident. The results are also outstanding.
The future is bright.

Tate Forcier, the gift that keeps on giving:

tate_display_image.jpg

He's fabulous.

PSU recruiting has changed dramatically. Paterno was an excellent recruiter in his prime, but
Pennsylvania is not turning out nearly the number of quality recruits it used to. The majority of
the class used to come from PA. with some from NJ and Ohio. It would be sprinkled with a few guys
from out of the region. Franklin has to work much harder because he has to bring in out of state/region
talent to secure a top class. He has to compete with multiple schools for most recruits. I have to admit
that I love the guy His energy, enthusiasm and love for PSU is evident. The results are also outstanding.
The future is bright.

I agree that this year PA is fairly down from a recruiting standpoint. It isn't always like that, but in general PA is not what it used to be so Franklin does have to go outside of the state to compete with the big dogs. When PA is strong Franklin can put more focus there, but being able to recruit nationally is huge.

Possible updated remaining targets:

1. Zach Harrison
2. Lewis Cine - slip sliding away,...………..
3. John Dunmore - PSU
4. Adisa Isaac
5. Saleem Wormley
6. Steven Faucheux - (Mystery recruit that nobody has heard much about)
7. Jakai Moore
8. Jared Harrison-Hunte (why are we losing ground here to OSU?)
9. Noah Cain
10. Trevor Keegan - chances: 'slim and none' with 'none' being way ahead.
11. David Ojabo - Michigan
12. Jayden Daniels
13. Michael Johnson, Jr.
14. Aaron Young. - Pa. kid with great potential. Definite RS should he choose PSU.
15. Walter Rouse

The future is bright.

The other factor Paterno had in his favor from 1978 to 1992 was 95 scholarships (and unlimited scholarships before '78). That certainly helps.

WOW - He lists his “top 25”.....but subject to change with possible new offers.

Was gonna make a comment but then I put his comment back into proper perspective: I could list my “top 25” desserts but am certainly willing to consider others as they are presented to me.

Was gonna make a comment but then I put his comment back into proper perspective: I could list my “top 25” desserts but am certainly willing to consider others as they are presented to me.

Who is this recruit please?

Sorry if his name was already mentioned.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
The other factor Paterno had in his favor from 1978 to 1992 was 95 scholarships (and unlimited scholarships before '78). That certainly helps.

That statement about “scholarships before 1978” is really not correct. Penn State never had “unlimited “ scholarships. I began a recruiting database in 1966; in those years Penn State and it’s Eastern independent cohorts had an agreement that limited the number of scholarships per year and prohibited non-medical red shirts. I’d have to go back to find the precise number, but I think it was somewhere near today’s 25.

When Johnny Majors took over at Pitt in 1973, he ended that agreement and he was thus able to offer in the neighborhood of 90-100 scholarships. I do remember that the old SWC allowed 50 scholarships, but I don’t know how many the Big Ten, SEC, or others allowed.

Possible updated remaining targets:

1. Zach Harrison
2. Lewis Cine - slip sliding away,...………..
3. John Dunmore - PSU
4. Adisa Isaac
5. Saleem Wormley
6. Steven Faucheux - (Mystery recruit that nobody has heard much about)
7. Jakai Moore
8. Jared Harrison-Hunte (why are we losing ground here to OSU?)
9. Noah Cain
10. Trevor Keegan - chances: 'slim and none' with 'none' being way ahead.
11. David Ojabo - Michigan
12. Jayden Daniels
13. Michael Johnson, Jr.
14. Aaron Young. - Pa. kid with great potential. Definite RS should he choose PSU.
15. Walter Rouse

16. Anthony Whigen

That statement about “scholarships before 1978” is really not correct. Penn State never had “unlimited “ scholarships. I began a recruiting database in 1966; in those years Penn State and it’s Eastern independent cohorts had an agreement that limited the number of scholarships per year and prohibited non-medical red shirts. I’d have to go back to find the precise number, but I think it was somewhere near today’s 25.

When Johnny Majors took over at Pitt in 1973, he ended that agreement and he was thus able to offer in the neighborhood of 90-100 scholarships. I do remember that the old SWC allowed 50 scholarships, but I don’t know how many the Big Ten, SEC, or others allowed.
OB, where can you get a list of all of JoePa’s classes?

Reactions: TheGLOV

Well, the NCAA rule was ‘unlimited’ - certainly yield to your expertise otherwise.

Ian, in those long ago years, I would write to the Penn State AD and ask for the list of scholarship freshmen. He actually sent them to me and I began compiling a list of recruits. My database includes every year’s list from 1966 to the present.

Many years ago I sent that database file to someone named Steve Curry (I think that name is correct, but i’m old ) who used it to compile an archive for his site.

If you have questions about specific years, I’d be glad to look up the info you want.

Recall that there was an agreement between PSU, Pitt, Syracuse and, maybe, WVU to limit scholarships. Believe it was an overall limit of 95. Don't recall an annual limit. Also, remember that prior to 1972, freshmen weren't eligible to p[lay.

Top 25 desserts? Spotted Dick is highly underrated but appears to be an Alabama lean.

Recall that there was an agreement between PSU, Pitt, Syracuse and, maybe, WVU to limit scholarships. Believe it was an overall limit of 95. Don't recall an annual limit. Also, remember that prior to 1972, freshmen weren't eligible to p[lay.

Art, I went back to see about that “agreement”; here is a direct quote from “The Football Letter,” published in August 1973 and written by Ridge Riley:

“Sometime during the year after hiring Johnny Majors as head coach, Pittsburgh broke off its agreement with Syracuse, West Virginia, and Penn State to limit grants-in-aid to an average of 25 per season and to eliminate wholesale redshirting.”

Art, I went back to see about that “agreement”; here is a direct quote from “The Football Letter,” published in August 1973 and written by Ridge Riley:

“Sometime during the year after hiring Johnny Majors as head coach, Pittsburgh broke off its agreement with Syracuse, West Virginia, and Penn State to limit grants-in-aid to an average of 25 per season and to eliminate wholesale redshirting.”

Thanks, Bob.

Evan Petzold put in a CB for Harrison to Michigan. I’m sure it’s $$ information but I’m surprised Wiltfong’s headline mentioned Harrison hanging out with PSU commits the most, yet all the buzz has been UM in every interview since then, and now his first CB there.

Evan Petzold put in a CB for Harrison to Michigan. I’m sure it’s $$ information but I’m surprised Wiltfong’s headline mentioned Harrison hanging out with PSU commits the most, yet all the buzz has been UM in every interview since then, and now his first CB there.

This post got me thinking about Rashan Gary. I’m certainly no recruiting guru, but I thought his HS and camp film was the best for a HS d lineman I had ever seen. Yet he’s been mostly average in my opinion in his first 2 years at UM. Obviously he still has time, but I thought he’d be much more of a dominating force already.

Reactions: lionlover

Evan Petzold? Now there is a household name.

Penn Staters may be a bit “biased” - since Penn State really shut Gary down last year (no one did a better job against him all year).

That said, his year in 2017 was quite impressive (esspecially when considering their D is really designed to place the spotlight on the Linebackers/Rover - guys like Hudson, Winovich, and Bush):

58 Tackles
11.5 TFL
5.5 Sacks
And he came up VERY big in their rivalry games against MSU and OSU (where he was completely dominant, and almost single-handidly gave them a shot to beat the Buckeyes).

Gary vs Bates/Fries may be the #1 matchup to watch when PSU goes to Ann Arbor.

Gary is also going into his “contract year” :) at UM in 2018.
I would be very surprised if he does not have an AA - or at least high end all B10 - caliber year.
His partner on the other side (Winovich) doesn’t impress me nearly as much (even though he gathers more “numbers” from his position) - FWIW - and I think they may really miss Hurst in the middle (though the kid who played some last year as a TR FR is going to be a beast at the one DT spot)

This was my take on Rashan Gary as well. He is good.

The dtackle you mentioned is Aubrey Solomon. He was a 5 star recruit out of Georgia. Georgia almost flipped him. He is definitely going to be a monster.

Reactions: ELDADDY and TheGLOV
Seems Pick got this about right.....

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef..._penn_states_top_clas.html#incart_river_index

Reviewing Penn State's top Class of 2019 recruiting targets in July, and how much space is left?
Posted July 08, 2018 at 05:45 AM | Updated July 08, 2018 at 05:45 AM
BY GREG PICKEL | gpickel@pennlive.com
penn-state-football-hosts-summer-prospect-camp-c90f262343d16762.jpg

Penn State recruit Michael Johnson Jr. during a summer prospect camp on June 8, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Penn State has landed its first top target, four-star Hollywood, Fla., receiver John Dunmore, in July. Other top targets have decided to head elsewhere, though.

Commitments have been in full swing this spring and summer as the chance for Class of 2019 prospects to take official visits, for the first time out-of-season thanks to new NCAA rules, has sped up the recruiting process for many.

For the Lions, that has meant 11 verbal commitments and a top-20 class to date, but head coach James Franklin and his staff are hardly done adding what they believe will be future key contributors in this cycle.

Let’s take a look at the top targets now and how much space is left to potentially add them.

Space check: Class of 2019

college-football-michigan-state-vs-penn-state---november-4-2017-22bc779c85ff1c5e.jpg

Penn State coach James Franklin looks on in the first quarter of their Big Ten football game against Michigan State at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, on Saturday, November 4, 2017. (Mike Mulholland | MLive.com) Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

Penn State is over the double-digit mark when it comes to pledges in this cycle, leaving it room for about 10 more additions.

Early estimates said that a class size of 19-21 prospects looked about right, and nothing has changed that fact now that the Lions have heated up on the recruiting trail since a big run in the middle of May grew a class that had just three members at the end of April.

Could the class be bigger than 21? Sure, and it could certainly be smaller, as well. However, right now it appears that somewhere in that range should be right come the final signing day in February.

Now, let’s dive into the positional breakdown.

Quarterback

the-opening-regionals-in-florham-park-nj-bd22867ed4f81c72.jpg

Could another quarterback join PSU Class of 2019 commit Ta'Quan Roberson? Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

James Franklin has made it quite clear that he’d love to have five scholarship quarterbacks on his roster at any given time. That’s the case heading into the 2018 season, as Trace McSorley, Tommy Stevens, Jake Zembiec, Sean Clifford, and Will Levis make up Ricky Rahne’s quarterback room.

Keeping it at that number, however, is not a yearly guarantee, which is why the program has aimed for two quarterbacks a cycle since the head coach arrived.

It has yet to work out in the Lions’ favor, though, but with longtime commit Ta’Quan Roberson locked in, the program has been able to spend time looking for another addition in this cycle. The key target to know now is Michael Johnson Jr., a four-star from Eugene, Ore., who visited earlier this year. He seems to be deciding between Miami and the Lions though some others are in play as well.

If the Lions can’t get Johnson Jr., they are more likely than not to stick with just one passer in this class.

Running back

st-josephs-prep-beats-coatesville-in-class-6a-semifinal-53-49-2a56518115245c69.jpg

Coatesville junior Aaron Young heads into the end zone for a touchdown during the playoff game between St. Joseph's Prep and Coatesville on Friday, December 1, 2017 at Downingtown High School West Campus. St. Joseph's Prep won the PIAA Class 6A semifinal 53-49.

Penn State already has a four-star committed at this position in the shifty and powerful Devyn Ford. The North Stafford, Va., prospect has been committed for a while, and there are no fears that he will re-open his recruitment.

That hasn’t stopped the Lions from trying to stockpile talent at the position, however.

The pursuit, up until Monday, had consisted mostly of four-star Florida running back Noah Cain, who has the Lions at or near the top of his list with a decision coming sometime this year. The Lions signaled a clear desire to land two running backs in this cycle, however, when they extended an offer to Coatesville burner Aaron Young, a three-star with offers from schools in the Mid-Atlantic and elsewhere.

It feels like a safe bet that the Lions get at least one more here to bolster the class on offense.

Wide receiver

2018-penn-state-recruits-at-blue-white-game-6b6e0b47fcaeff97.jpg

Penn State recruit John Metchie takes in the Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium on April 21, 2018.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

John Dunmore, a four-star receiver from Hollywood, Fla., jumpstarted the Lions’ recruiting efforts in the pass catching department when he picked the Lions over Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and others on Wednesday night.

What comes next at the position?

John Metchie, a four-star from Maryland, long appeared to be the Lions top target at the position, but he picked Alabama on Friday night. PSU long seemed to be the favorite, but old assistant and new Crimson Tide co-offensive coordinator Josh Gattis swung thing in his team's favor.

Besides him, David Bell, a four-star from Indiana, has the Lions in his top group, and 247Sports says he’ll visit campus again later this summer. The Lions would be thrilled to go one-for-two here.

Tight end

bill2jpg-c466b80506865dd4.jpg

Four-star tight end Jahleel Billingsley poses for a photo during a recent visit to campus. Photo courtesy of Jahleel Billingsley via Twitter.

Will the Lions successfully land a tight end after they grabbed two – Zack Kuntz and Pat Frieremuth – in the Class of 2018?

The jury is still out, frankly, because while top targets remain on the board, none of them are necessarily Penn State locks.

Jahleel Billingsley, a four-star talent from Illinois, has long been atop the board, but that's no longer relevant after he committed to Alabama on Friday night.

It’s why the Lions offered another Illinois tight end, three-star Josiah Miamen, recently. PSU looks to have a good foothold here but thye’ll have to convince the senior to move out of the Midwest and come east, which could be a challenge. California four-star Isaiah Foskey is on the board, too, and has visited campus, but he’s still a long shot.

One addition at most here in this cycle, with a real possibility that the program misses out entirely.

Offensive line

This is the most important position to many considering how hit or miss Penn State’s line play has been the last few years. The good news is that the Lions already have a stud four-star guard in the boat, New Jersey’s Caedan Wallace, and many top targets are still in play.

The bad news, though, is that the program still has to reel those recruits in.

Penn State hopes to take a total of three to five offensive linemen, it appears, and the pair it is most likely to land right now looks to made up of Smyrna, Del., three-star guard Saleem Wormely and three-star Lackawanna College tackle Anthony Whigan. Both have frequently visited campus, and industry predictions make the Lions the leader for both. Wormely will pick between Rutgers, Notre Dame, and PSU in about two weeks, while Whigan is still weighing his options.

We’re still watching Jakai Moore, too, but the Virginia three-star lineman seemingly has had PSU on top forever, and so the fact that he hasn’t decided yet certainly raises an eyebrow as South Carolina and others continue to push hard. One final name to know is Trevor Keegan, as the four-star from Illinois has an All-Big Ten top group that includes the Lions. However, it looks like he’ll be staying closer to home. Walter Rouse is a Class of 2019 prospect who put PSU in his top-10, as well.

Defensive line

penn-state-pro-day-2017-458b5dec1cca3ba8jpg-cd155b9648b593c2.jpg

Penn State head coach James Franklin, right, talks with defensive line coach Sean Spencer during the team's annual Pro Day held in Holuba Hall on March 16, 2017.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com(JOE HERMITT)

Hakeem Beamon, a four-star from Virginia, is the Lions lone defensive line commit to date, but like the offensive line, the pieces are still out there, and that’s really the biggest win at this point in time.

Zach Harrison, the five-star recruit from Lewis Center, Ohio who is focusing on Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU, is the top target right now along with recent visitor and four-star Adisa Isaac, from New York. The Lions are a long shot to get Harrison, as he’ll most likely be a Buckeye, but things seem to be trending the right direction with Isaac, who has a considerable offer list.

Inside, PSU has offers out to a few defensive tackles, but its best shot rests with three-star New York defensive tackle Jared Harrison-Hunte. However, his offer list continues to grow and the competition is getting stiffer. Four-star Rodas Johnson, from Columbus, Ohio might be worth watching as well. Seems that the Lions would like to add one or two in this class.

Linebacker and Secondary

penn-state-football-hosts-summer-prospect-camp-311cd21fdd03d6f1.jpg

Penn State recruit Lewis Cine during a summer prospect camp on June 8, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

We lump these two sections together because, frankly, Penn State could be done at both spots even though the first National Letter of Intents cannot be faxed in for another five months.

The Lions have five-star Brandon Smith and four-star Lance Dixon already committed at the linebacker spot, while a big commitment run saw safeties Jaquan Brisker and Tyler Rudolph, plus corner Marquis Wilson, commit to a class that already included State College three-star Keaton Ellis.

At corner, we’re still watching Texas four-star Lewis Cine, a longtime target who once lived in Massachusetts and has a good relationship with the program, and three-star Joey Porter Jr., a PA talent who is the son of former Steeler Joey Porter, is a name to know. Other than that though, it appears the program is all but full at these sports save for maybe one more secondary member.

So how will the rest of the class shake out?

national-signing-day-at-penn-state-c4bc1d331e324062.jpg

Before long, Penn State's coaching staff will again gather in the Lasch Building to welcome a new batch of Nittany Lions.

Here’s how many players Penn State is likely to add by position moving forward:

QB: One in, looking to add one
RB: One in, looking to add one
WR: One in, looking to add one or two
TE: Zero in, looking to add one
OL: One in, looking to add two to three
DL: One in, looking to add two to three
LB: Two in, likely done
Secondary: Four in, looking to add one at most

Put the math together, and if everything goes exactly to plan, the Lions will seven players and sit at 18 class members assuming that there are no defections, and thus they would have room to potentially add a few ‘best available’ targets late in the game.

Agree Gary's tape was awesome (but not as good as Clowney's - which was terrifying) and he dominated at his HS All-Star game. Agree we contained Gary well last year, but I believe he was playing on an injured ankle. May have effected him quite a bit, though I heard no such excuses. Wish he was a Nittany Lion. Gary, and the entire Wolverine team, will be a very big challenge as the experience comparison flipped from our favor to theirs this year (As did home filed advantage).

Reactions: ELDADDY and TheGLOV
CB for Steven Faucheux to PSU..... This kid has played his recruiting pretty tight to the vest, but maybe he realizes that if he wants to enjoy his Senior year of H.S. he should get on with a commitment....

STEVENFAUCHEUX
  • DT
  • 6-4.5
  • CLASS OF 19
WEST CHESTER, OH(LAKOTA WEST)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —
NATL. RANK 319
DT RANK 22
OH RANK 9

247SPORTS 90

Last edited:
CB for Steven Faucheux to PSU..... This kid has played his recruiting pretty tight to the vest, but maybe he realizes that if he want to enjoy his Senior year of H.S. he should get on with a commitment....

STEVENFAUCHEUX
  • DT
  • 6-4.5
  • CLASS OF 19
WEST CHESTER, OH(LAKOTA WEST)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —
NATL. RANK 319
DT RANK 22
OH RANK 9

247SPORTS 90

It's about time!

This kid has been the mystery recruit for a long time now.

Jump on board son!!!

:)

But, the CB is from a guy with only an 80% accuracy rate.

Ho-hum.

Last edited:
It's about time!

This kid has been the mystery recruit for a long time now.

Jump on board son!!!

:)

But, the CB is from a guy with only an 80% accuracy rate.

Ho-hum.

Not many big time offers for a 4 star. None from OSU, MSU, Mich or ND.
He seems like a stretch for PSU if we are really pushing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT