ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

We're in the game right now on 3 more top 100 recruits. You know the guys that counts as elite, but please don't let me distract anyone from pronouncing this program is on life support.

Cain got bumped back into the top 100. 5 top 100 elites in already.

8 top 100s would match the number we got combined from 2007 to 2015.

There is a Wiltfong update on Nick Cross that is VIP on the PSU 247 board that has 143 upvotes as of right now.

iu

Last edited:
Cross would be a huge get (Taylor is a senior). I don't know where we stand with Nester but a top rated OG would be great.

Those two plus Sorrells, and Ellies would make this an incredible class. I can't imagine we get all 4 of those kids but it's reasonable to think we'll get 2 DTs (from Sorrells, Ellies, Hunte, & Vilbert).

We'll be well below 85 even if we sign 7 more kids in this class.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Cross would be a huge get (Taylor is a senior). I don't know where we stand with Nester but a top rated OG would be great.

Those two plus Sorrells, and Ellies would make this an incredible class. I can't imagine we get all 4 of those kids but it's reasonable to think we'll get 2 DTs (from Sorrells, Ellies, Hunte, & Vilbert).

But wait, you've been telling us we only have room for 17 in this class for the last 12 months o_O

The three star mentioned on the front page of rivals is Demariyon Houston based on the picture. He is another composite 4*.

Looks like T.J. Jones was added to the visit list as well on rivals.

No way on Earth Vilbert is a DT. He’s a DE all the way.

It sounds like OSU's offensive line coach Studarwa is going to be retained for 2019, and the main reason that Studarwa is being retained is because they want to keep Nester in the class. Nester has gone on record in saying that he would decommit if Studarwa was not retained. OSU fans are not happy with this because they think OSU's offensive line underperformed this past year and Studarwa is a lazy recruiter. Unless Penn State blows Nester's official visit out of the water, my money is on Nester staying committed to OSU.

Reactions: ST8FAN
But wait, you've been telling us we only have room for 17 in this class for the last 12 months o_O
Not quite true. That's what we had available if everybody returned. I assumed some would leave and we'd be limited to something like 21. No way did I expect a dozen or more to leave/transfer.

Don't forget about the players we may get from the transfer portal as well, a solid defensive player from Rice and a very good OT from Virginia who both have us on their list of potential transfer destinations.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It sounds like OSU's offensive line coach Studarwa is going to be retained for 2019, and the main reason that Studarwa is being retained is because they want to keep Nester in the class. Nester has gone on record in saying that he would decommit if Studarwa was not retained. OSU fans are not happy with this because they think OSU's offensive line underperformed this past year and Studarwa is a lazy recruiter. Unless Penn State blows Nester's official visit out of the water, my money is on Nester staying committed to OSU.

I don't know.... seems kinda a stretch they would keep an Oline coach that the head coach didn't have confidence in for 1 player. To me if you start doing things like keeping a coach on board for 1 player you're starting on bad footing. Allowing the players to dictate who stays and goes is not a good choice IMHO. Nester is projected to be good, but who knows if he develops any further.

I don't know.... seems kinda a stretch they would keep an Oline coach that the head coach didn't have confidence in for 1 player. To me if you start doing things like keeping a coach on board for 1 player you're starting on bad footing. Allowing the players to dictate who stays and goes is not a good choice IMHO. Nester is projected to be good, but who knows if he develops any further.

You are right, and there is always the chance that Nester signs his NLI with OSU in a couple of weeks and Studarwa is fired shortly thereafter. OSU has done this before so it would not surprise me if they do it again.

Reactions: ALion4Life
Nester won't dictate who stays or goes. Asking Mike Weber what happens to OSU position coaches just after signing day might clue him in.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

Nester has another official visit to OSU (they switched HC's) before his PSU OV. My guess is he never makes it to PSU. I'll take him because our numbers are low at OT, but he has really struggled in most of the camp practice settings he's been in. Not sweating it either way.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Don't forget about the players we may get from the transfer portal as well, a solid defensive player from Rice and a very good OT from Virginia who both have us on their list of potential transfer destinations.

If you are talking about Proctor, the UVA grad transfer, he was a starting Guard for UVA this past season. I don't believe CJF would take a Guard GT, as the interior OL is one of the strengths of the roster right now. He would likely rather take Gellerstadt back with open arms, as OT is where the numbers are lacking near term. Or take a lesser rated high school OT, if there is one out there. Or a true OT grad transfer. Taking Proctor, and possibly starting him at Guard would not make much sense with all the Guards that look talented that will compete for the open spot, and wouldn't help the morale of the current competing PSU Guards. Taking him as a backup would not make sense to Proctor, who was a starter at UVA, but it might help allow Wallace to begin his PSU career at OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftlpsu
It's not too smart committing just because you have a good relation with a coach as there is no assurance the coach will be there for any amount of time. If a coach is any good, he will get offers and move up in the coaching ranks. OSU might decide to muddle along with Sudarwa for another year, then assess what to do with him later, just to grab Nester this cycle.

Not quite true. That's what we had available if everybody returned. I assumed some would leave and we'd be limited to something like 21. No way did I expect a dozen or more to leave/transfer.

Right, which is why we kept telling you there would be more attrition than you thought, but you never listened. Looking forward to having this same conversation with you again next year

Right, which is why we kept telling you there would be more attrition than you thought, but you never listened. Looking forward to having this same conversation with you again next year

NO ONE HERE predicted there would be 13 scholarships available going forward from 1/17/19. No one, likely including CJF. So no need to act like anyone here was more or less informed. Lots of missing names no one could have expected:

http://fosshipmatrix.elasticbeanstalk.com/

Last edited:
Nester has another official visit to OSU (they switched HC's) before his PSU OV. My guess is he never makes it to PSU. I'll take him because our numbers are low at OT, but he has really struggled in most of the camp practice settings he's been in. Not sweating it either way.
Yeah he's certanly not a can't miss prospect. He has some things he needs to work on.

If you are talking about Proctor, the UVA grad transfer, he was a starting Guard for UVA this past season. I don't believe CJF would take a Guard GT, as the interior OL is one of the strengths of the roster right now. He would likely rather take Gellerstadt back with open arms, as OT is where the numbers are lacking near term. Or take a lesser rated high school OT, if there is one out there. Or a true OT grad transfer. Taking Proctor, and possibly starting him at Guard would not make much sense with all the Guards that look talented that will compete for the open spot, and wouldn't help the morale of the current competing PSU Guards. Taking him as a backup would not make sense to Proctor, who was a starter at UVA, but it might help allow Wallace to begin his PSU career at OT.
We aren't getting to 85 scholarships this year so taking him wouldn't impact any other players/positions.

Strength? I’ve been hearing that about the OL for several years. He could be better than anyone on the roster now. I’d take him for a year to let Wallace/Wormley RS.

Reactions: PSU_522
based on the ongoing discussion how many incoming first year guys redshirt?? How many of the Early Enrollees redshirt? I say no EEs redshirt. Edit: oops except for QBs.

Last edited:
Good point but MORALE for the other Guards is the key....

Yep, when CJF arrived there were big gaps in the roster and he brought in a couple transfers and made some position changes with mixed impact. But those gaps don't exist now, even with the reduced numbers/depth at many positions. Who knows how many GT's CJF will try and bring in for depth, of if a couple of players now in the portal eventually come back to PSU. But I look for CJF to more so just double down on finishing the 2019 as best he can numbers wise and then to adapt and go all out for the 2020 class numbers wise to shore up the roster. What will be the over/under for LOI's in December 2019? 24.5??

A couple of walk on's parents (their sons getting scholarships for 2019) may be the big beneficiaries of the whole mess if CJF can't quite use all 85 with the 2019 class and GT's ....

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT