ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

I know a team that could use a thumping MLB, and has returning players with experience at the outside spots....
I know a team that is still one over the 85 roster limit when all new scholarship players arrive on campus. Are you suggesting that the staff should find another player to process to make room for a transfer?

I know a team that is still one over the 85 roster limit when all new scholarship players arrive on campus. Are you suggesting that the staff should find another player to process to make room for a transfer?

My 11 year old's local travel soccer team has cuts but somehow it's taboo for a Div 1 Power 5 Football Program to do it?

My 11 year old's local travel soccer team has cuts but somehow it's taboo for a Div 1 Power 5 Football Program to do it?

There's this minor matter that somehow education is supposed to be an element of college football. Now, if a kid gets cut, but still receives his financial aid, that's fine.

Reactions: marshall23
Do they cut a kid after they've passed the tryouts and have been told they've made the team?

You usually have to try out every year though.

Granted that there may be something already in the works of which we are unaware. But, presumably, any player who is still on the team "passed" his last "tryout" which would have been Spring practice. Whatever takes place will have to happen before the next "tryout."

There aren't many ways to put lipstick on this pig. If a kid keeps his scholarship after he's cut, that's one way.

Granted that there may be something already in the works of which we are unaware. But, presumably, any player who is still on the team "passed" his last "tryout" which would have been Spring practice. Whatever takes place will have to happen before the next "tryout."

There aren't many ways to put lipstick on this pig. If a kid keeps his scholarship after he's cut, that's one way.
At 18 plus years of age if you cannot see what or why this is happening than there are other issues. This is the reality of college football today. Sunshine and rainbows isn’t how life works.

At 18 plus years of age if you cannot see what or why this is happening than there are other issues. This is the reality of college football today. Sunshine and rainbows isn’t how life works.

So the "education" part of the recruiting pitch (we won't go into the "family" stuff) is just so much bullshit? I've realized that for quite some time. For those who haven't, welcome to the club.

Reactions: stormingnorm
So the "education" part of the recruiting pitch (we won't go into the "family" stuff) is just so much bullshit? I've realized that for quite some time. For those who haven't, welcome to the club.
If 80% are still graduating it is still a selling point. Guess what coaches who graduate players and have losing records get......unemployment. It’s a business and has been for decades. Some act shocked by this or want to pretend it’s not, but most see it.

If 80% are still graduating it is still a selling point. Guess what coaches who graduate players and have losing records get......unemployment. It’s a business and has been for decades. Some act shocked by this or want to pretend it’s not, but most see it.

The kids who get cut aren't included in that 80% number, but I'm sure it still has meaning to them when it happens. Or maybe there should be a TiL modification to the pitch which makes it "if your good enough to remain with the team for four years, there is an 80% chance that you'll graduate."

Believe me, I haven't been shocked for years. That doesn't mean that I approve of what takes place, not that my approval matters.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
How does it work if a kid wants to stay at Penn State but is otherwise processed from the football roster? Do they keep their scholarship? Or is that only in the case of a football career ending injury situation?

How does it work if a kid wants to stay at Penn State but is otherwise processed from the football roster? Do they keep their scholarship? Or is that only in the case of a football career ending injury situation?

Good question. Appears that Manny Bowen is still a student at PSU, and I don't think he's paying his own way.

Good question. Appears that Manny Bowen is still a student at PSU, and I don't think he's paying his own way.
It makes you wonder if he got popped with a lengthy athletic department suspension and they kicked him off the team to free up the scholarship - but found a way to make the dollars work to keep him enrolled...ya know, just in case.

Reactions: bdgan and bmw199
Well players at PSU do not. They get a 4 year scholarship. Their tryout is high school performance.
th

True, that.

To have a "selling point", you only have to be better than the other guys who are making sales pitches to the same prospects.
(Kinda' like COMCAST saying "Our Customer Service doesn't suck as bad as VERIZON's")

I expect that PSU can compete with or exceed that selling point issue ("Academics") with most - but not all - of their competitors on the recruiting trail.
From the standpoint of being able to recruit a "football squad that can win a lot of games", that's probably all that matters.

But any big-time hoops or football program (PSU, OSU, UMich, or any of the others) that would want folks to believe that their is a heavy focus on high-end academic achievement, is just pissing on legs.
Probably for PR value on the recruiting trail, and with their fanbase.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
From a pure football standpoint - the presence of Manny Bowen would make a HUGE impact on the squad (IMO)….. both this year and next year.
From the jump, it appeared that his situation was being handled differently than guys like Cam Carter and Irv Charles.

I would expect that would keep his leash pretty long.

In any event, it is probably best for all involved if MB does make whatever efforts are necessary to stay within those broad controls - - - and complete his run at PSU one way or the other.
If he manages to force CJF's or PSU's hand, and has to leave permanently - not a great option (though I am sure he could still find a home with someone willing to pay his freight charges)

There's this minor matter that somehow education is supposed to be an element of college football. Now, if a kid gets cut, but still receives his financial aid, that's fine.

Why hasn't Jenkins been cut? Kid is seemingly the poster child for the type of player that the "factory's" would have already cut to open up space for a newer prospect. At no point since he has been on campus has he remotely even been in talks of breaking into the 2 deep.

And people seem to forget about the free education he has already received. Thousands of students would love to get three years of free college and ONLY have to pay for the final year.

Why hasn't Jenkins been cut? Kid is seemingly the poster child for the type of player that the "factory's" would have already cut to open up space for a newer prospect. At no point since he has been on campus has he remotely even been in talks of breaking into the 2 deep.

And people seem to forget about the free education he has already received. Thousands of students would love to get three years of free college and ONLY have to pay for the final year.

Why should he have to pay for his final year? Do you think he was told when he was recruited that his degree was contingent on him making the two-deep?

Why should he have to pay for his final year? Do you think he was told when he was recruited that his degree was contingent on him making the two-deep?

Has nothing to do with should. It's reality. If you allow these kids to be cut from the team and keep their free education (without transfer to another institution that is going to pay for it), you are opening up a complete and total "Don't pan out, your gone" mentality across the board.

At the same time, nobody cares about the kids who leave school in 3 years for the NFL draft with 6 semesters of wasted credits.

What is the goal of it all?

Reactions: ELDADDY
Has nothing to do with should. It's reality. If you allow these kids to be cut from the team and keep their free education (without transfer to another institution that is going to pay for it), you are opening up a complete and total "Don't pan out, your gone" mentality across the board.

At the same time, nobody cares about the kids who leave school in 3 years for the NFL draft with 6 semesters of wasted credits.

What is the goal of it all?

I guess that makes sense. Just give me a couple of months to figure it out.

And the kids who leave early for the NFL do so of their own volition, not the coach showing them the door.

Maybe it should be a different thread but I agree with @Art. Would love to hear Franklin's philosophy on the subject, although no coach goes on the record about this. Would like to believe he'll have an honest conversation with the fringe players and try to work out a mutually beneficial solution. "We have 3 underclassmen ahead of you on the depth chart. You are welcome to stay at PSU, but if you want to play then we can put in a good word for you at XYZ." Maybe his approach to projecting scholarship numbers is, "2 guys violated team rules (they earned the boot), 3 guys chronically injured (stay at PSU on medical), 4 guys will never see meaningful playing time (some of them can transfer elsewhere)." So he could sign anywhere from 2- or 5-9 guys over the limit and be good without any conflict of ethics.

I'm sure they build attrition estimates into their recruiting plans. So what happens when the actual number is lower than the estimates and how does that square with what kids were told when they were recruited? I'd like to think that the coaches aren't as cavalier with a kid's fate as some on this board seem to be.

I wish they would just allow each team to sign x# every year and get rid of the 85 limit. Processing in general is really grimy and terrible for the kids. I guess this would create some sort of title IX issue though so it probably can't happen.

Having the conversation in the above stated manner is still processing. It doesn't make the practice better or more ethical.

Reactions: bdgan
Great question. Some kids leave on their own but there's no way that the coach can know with 100% certainty how many will do that. Yet they offer scholarships to more than 85 players. It's not simply an educated guess that happens to work out.

I'm sure they build attrition estimates into their recruiting plans. So what happens when the actual number is lower than the estimates and how does that square with what kids were told when they were recruited? I'd like to think that the coaches aren't as cavalier with a kid's fate as some on this board seem to be.
They never renege on the scholarship to the incomming player. It's always an existing player.

I don't like processing, etc. It's not what we grew up with as Penn Staters. But the world has changed, in many ways. If we cling to an ideal that no longer exists we get left behind.

I realize that this is rationalizing, but we didn't create the new world. We merely are forced to live in it. If we don't wish to play by the new rules, then we should get out and join the Patriot League, or something like that.

We are already paying our football coach over $5 million/yr, for God's sake. We've sold our souls. All of these crocodile tears over 4 year scholarships is nothing more than window dressing.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
One last comment from me on the scholarship subject then I’m done and back to recruiting. My only concern is giving the kid the full scholarship for up to five years or graduation. That’s the contract when he signs. He’s not guaranteed to ever play a single down of football. If he’s not good enough, time to pursue other career options. Graduate and get a job. No shame in that. But if processing means the kid doesn’t have a scholarship, then I’m against that idea.

I don't like processing, etc. It's not what we grew up with as Penn Staters. But the world has changed, in many ways. If we cling to an ideal that no longer exists we get left behind.

I realize that this is rationalizing, but we didn't create the new world. We merely are forced to live in it. If we don't wish to play by the new rules, then we should get out and join the Patriot League, or something like that.

We are already paying our football coach over $5 million/yr, for God's sake. We've sold our souls. All of these crocodile tears over 4 year scholarships is nothing more than window dressing.

Nothing, other than the optics, prevents a a school from cutting a kid and continuing to pay for his education if he chooses to remain there.

I am all for the NCAA and/or Big Ten for allowing kids to be cut from the team, retain their scholarships, and no longer count against the limit. Now that there are hard limits at 25/yr and 85/total, there's no reason not to allow this, I agree. They could put in some kind of limits, like a total of 8 over 4 years, or something like that, but to pretend it's going to go away or not exist is absurd. We have a coach making $5million/yr. If he doesn't win, he loses that shit load of money. If I were him, I would certainly want to not lose that job paying me that kind of money because a bunch of kids on the bench can't play.

I.E.: you can't blame any coach for pushing the envelope. If he observes the letter of the law and loses too many games, all of a sudden he's the defensive backfield coach at Villanova.

We are paying our coach what he is worth in today's marketplace for a top tier and profitable football program.
Would you be happier paying less and having a coach that has us doing as well as we did during the dark years, when Joe got old and was passed by?
For what CJF inherited and for the job he has done, and has brought us back to relevance and prominence again, and restored the brand, he probably isn't being paid enough.
Here's how I put it in perspective. I'm a long suffering Mets fan. See Yeonis Cespedis salary, and similar players, and what we are getting in return. 5 mil will seem like a bargain and chump change.

Reactions: sigchip_a_yahoo.com
I'm not arguing that we are paying JF too much. I'm saying that since we've decided to pay a football coach that much, we've already admitted that we've sold our souls to modern big-time college football. Once we've done that, it's difficult to moralize that we shouldn't be playing by modern big-time college football rules and standards, whether we like them or not.

We need to be in this thing with both feet, or neither. At this point, we're no better than anybody else is.

I'm not arguing that we are paying JF too much. I'm saying that since we've decided to pay a football coach that much, we've already admitted that we've sold our souls to modern big-time college football. Once we've done that, it's difficult to moralize that we shouldn't be playing by modern big-time college football rules and standards, whether we like them or not.

We need to be in this thing with both feet, or neither. At this point, we're no better than anybody else is.

One could argue that the selling of the soul occurred when JoePa was given his walking papers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT