ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
JPW has an impressive crystal ball.

Mesenbrink just keeps getting better and better and better. Wait until he has a couple of years in Cael's room under his belt. Whether he red shirts or not there are at least a couple of national championships on that kid's future, maybe just maybe 4.

IMO the sacrificial lamb, and possible future portal won't be Facundo. Alex's under performing post season last year was a disappointment to all, but many have forgotten just how great he was coming into the program. I think his performance and the fresh competition in the room, lights a fire in his belly that will deliver. Plus, he is long and lean and another 10-15 lbs will fit nicely on that frame. 174 is his future, sooner rather than later.

The odd man out is most likely going to be Barr
, boxed in between Facundo and Ryder. Just one man's opinion.
I have mixed feelings between Barr and Facundo. Both trained together in high school with same techniques, i.e., no setting up before attacks. So whoever can break that habit first will have a better career, IMO.

On balance a positive development, reducing some of the chaos.
Marginally. It just shoehorns all portal entries into windows totaling 45d.

The re-recruiting can still occur at any time.

If anything, the deadline will make anyone on the fence go ahead and enter their name sooner than later -- provided they don't fear having their scholarship revoked.

pyles discussed it not too long ago on FRL and Mineo just posted it but Austin Gomez may be wrestling for Michigan this year.

Reactions: pish69
Year 7 for Gomez.

This leads me to think. How many wrestlers who competed beyond year 5 had their best season in their final year?

Iowa and Michigan offer a nice sample size.

Name - NCAA finish in final season - Best career finish

Iowa
Eirman - DNP - 2nd
Young - DNP - 5th
Marinelli - 5th - 5th
Kemerer - 4th -2nd
S Lee - 6th -1st
Murin - 6th - 6th
Warner -5th - 2nd

Michigan
Suriano - 1st - 1st
Micic - DNP - 2nd
Storr - DNP - 5th
Massa - 5th -3rd
M Amine - 2nd -2nd
Medley - DNP - DNP
Finesilver - DNP -DNP

PSU
Hildebrandt - DNP - 4th
Dean - 7th - 1st
Cassar - Inj after going 3-0 - 1st
Rasheed - No NCAAs in 2020 (Inj def final match at Bigs) - best finish was 7th

Caveat: I don't guarantee 100% accuracy.

Year 7 for Gomez.

This leads me to think. How many wrestlers who competed beyond year 5 had their best season in their final year?

Iowa
Eirman - DNP - 2nd
Young - DNP - 5th
Marinelli - 5th - 5th
Kemerer - 4th -2nd
S Lee - 6th -1st
Murin - 6th - 6th
Warner -5th - 2nd

Michigan
Suriano - 1st - 1st
Micic - DNP - 2nd
Storr - DNP - 5th
Massa - 5th -3rd
M Amine - 2nd -2nd
Medley - DNP - DNP
Finesilver - DNP -DNP

PSU
Hildebrandt - DNP - 4th
Dean - 7th - 1st

Fail Novak Djokovic GIF by Australian Open

Year 7 for Gomez.

Iowa
Eirman - DNP - 2nd
Young - DNP - 5th
Marinelli - 5th - 5th
Kemerer - 4th -2nd
S Lee - 6th -1st
Murin - 6th - 6th
Warner -5th - 2nd

Michigan
Suriano - 1st - 1st
Micic - DNP - 2nd
Storr - DNP - 5th
Massa - 5th -3rd
M Amine - 2nd -2nd
Medley - DNP - DNP
Finesilver - DNP -DNP

PSU
Hildebrandt - DNP - 4th
Dean - 7th - 1st

Two corrections to Michigan. Storr never placed at NCAAs. Amine's previous high finish was 3rd, then finished 2nd in his final year.

Year 7 for Gomez.

Iowa
Eirman - DNP - 2nd
Young - DNP - 5th
Marinelli - 5th - 5th
Kemerer - 4th -2nd
S Lee - 6th -1st
Murin - 6th - 6th
Warner -5th - 2nd

Michigan
Suriano - 1st - 1st
Micic - DNP - 2nd
Storr - DNP - 5th
Massa - 5th -3rd
M Amine - 2nd -2nd
Medley - DNP - DNP
Finesilver - DNP -DNP

PSU
Hildebrandt - DNP - 4th
Dean - 7th - 1st

Nice work. Glad to see people are catching on to the concept that kids coming back isn't necessarily a good thing. With Iowa in 2022, I spelled out exactly why the heavily favored Hawkeyes wouldn't win the title and a big reason being HEW, burnout and injuries to all their 6th and 7th year guys. Their fans laughed at me. Last season I told them at best they'd have one champion..was leaning towards them having zero but most importantly told them that if they did get a champion Spencer Lee wouldn't be the one. I said injuries, reduced mat time and training and some stud out there gunning for him would be the reason why. Again, their fans laughed at me.

BTW, if it seems like I'm tooting my own horn well you'd be correct. There's a couple Hawk fans that came here just to point out my stupidity when I posted the things I posted. To them I'm saying...

TOOT TOOT. :)

Nice work. Glad to see people are catching on to the concept that kids coming back isn't necessarily a good thing. With Iowa in 2022, I spelled out exactly why the heavily favored Hawkeyes wouldn't win the title and a big reason being HEW, burnout and injuries to all their 6th and 7th year guys. Their fans laughed at me. Last season I told them at best they'd have one champion..was leaning towards them having zero but most importantly told them that if they did get a champion Spencer Lee wouldn't be the one. I said injuries, reduced mat time and training and some stud out there gunning for him would be the reason why. Again, their fans laughed at me.

BTW, if it seems like I'm tooting my own horn well you'd be correct. There's a couple Hawk fans that came here just to point out my stupidity when I posted the things I posted. To them I'm saying...

11a2af141ac7a3257da58e017a321012.gif

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel

Reminds me of a famous quatrain from Nostradamus:

“A wise man from a watery town, foretells doomsday for a program from the corn, fanatics suggest he is but a clown, but his prophecies come true as oft’ as the sun rises in the morn’”

Reminds me of the classic song When the Walls Come Down by the Call

They'd all been warned
And the walls came down
They stood there laughing
They're not laughing anymore

Two corrections to Michigan. Storr never placed at NCAAs. Amine's previous high finish was 3rd, then finished 2nd in his final year.

If Amine finished 2nd in 2022, wouldn't that also make 2nd the highest finish of his career?

You're right about Storr. I was mistakenly looking at his highest finish at Big Tens (5th in 2019, 20 and 21). Interestingly, he finished 7th in his (6th) final year.

There's a lot to work with in Aaron Nagao. He's very, very quick and penetrates well. He'll do well, practicing with guys like RBY, Nick Lee and BB.

And, that ride. I'm not sure how the new rule changes will impact him, but people don't want to go under a guy like Nagao, so that's a effectively a one point swing for him.

Who on the current roster scrambles like Nagao? I can't think of any one that looks for it like he does. Will he stop scrambling as much or will they embrace his scrambling?

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Who on the current roster scrambles like Nagao? I can't think of any one that looks for it like he does. Will he stop scrambling as much or will they embrace his scrambling?
I would embrace it, anyone that shoots on him, before you know it, they are either fighting off a takedown attempt of Aaron’s or being put in danger three.

Last edited:
One thing I love about our coaches is they allow our wrestlers to wrestle to their strengths. There is no "Penn State Style" other than winning. Some light up the scoreboard, some punish opponents on top, some are defensive masters, but each are unique. I see Nagao continuing to scramble and develop in these positions to become even stronger.

I agree.

My thoughts on it are, the coaches in the room don't teach scrambling and will not keep him from doing it but his fundamentals will continue to grow. So is that going to slow his scrambling down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT