ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament

Probably not. Murin went 0-2. I can't imagine he gets an at large. But who knows.

If he does, BB should certainly get one. At least he won a match.

Prior to BIGs Murin was #5 in the coaches rankings. He will definitely get an at large bid. Bartlett will almost certainly not get one.

PSU matches in this Session:

125: Howard vs. Malik Heinselman (OSU) in the Consolation Semis

157: Brady Berge vs. Brayton Lee (Minny) in the Consolation Semis

165: Joe Lee vs. David Ferrante (NW) in the 7th Place Match

197: Michael Beard vs. Cameron Caffey (MSU) in the Consolation Semis

285: Greg Kerkvilet vs. Christian Lance (Nebraska) in the Consolation Semis

Some quick thoughts and a question.

125 – nice rebound for Robbie! That W over Ragusin was big. That MICH kid is a stud, and looks like he could easily be a 133/141.

133 – RBY looks great, but man, he makes me nervous by letting lesser wrestlers keep it closer than it should be. DeSanto not looking nearly as ferocious as usual. What’s up with that?

141 -- It's so comforting to have Nick become one of those PSU guys that you just expect to win ... every time. SeBass is a major notch in his belt and has to give him that extra bit of confidence that he can beat anyone.

157 -- I'm very impressed with Brady's quiet tenacity. More bonus point wins than most expected, I reckon.

165 – It’s a gut punch to see Joe control matches early then get sloppy and lose by fall or otherwise. I keep having to remind myself that his older brother also sometimes struggled to win matches he should win his first year or 2.

174 – Dang, everyone should be terrified to go into OT with CStar! That's like a death sentence.

185 – AB continues to amaze and impress. Venz is on a tear. AB will have his hands full with him tomorrow. Praying his ankle presents no obstacles.

197 – Great to see Beard gutting out the wins tonight. To me, he looked tired in every match after Amine (so did Amine, BTW). Good for him to have improved his gas tank for days like these.

285 – Kerkules is already on another level against all but Parris and Steveson. Get him a bit more mat time and conditioning and I think every match among those 3 will be a toss up. I’d like to amend my KYPSW prediction at HWT. I no longer view Steveson as the favorite over Parris. Could be Steveson never wins an NCAA title and goes directly to MMA. @jammenz, are you ok?

Questions:
  • When do weigh-ins happen tomorrow?
  • Do the wrestlers get an extra pound or 2?
  • Assuming yes, who do you think that benefits the most in the finals?

Wow. Lots of wrestling today. We looked asleep in the morning but came out firing in session 2.

9 guys going to nationals..big positive as Lemon always said we need at least 8.

Feel bad for Beau. Kid seems to give 100% effort every match. Size definetly hurt him. Bright future for the kid. Was a pleasure watching him this year. Hope he gets a wildcard but highly doubt it.

MVP—Nick Lee. What a match against a great opponent

Balls of steel—Aaron Brooks. Coming back after getting bit, scratched and what appeared to be a bad ankle injury. Puts Brands on his back and shows the champion he is

Iceman—Carter Starocci. What else can you say? Ice in his veins. Beat 3 #2 ranked wrestlers this year. Keeps finding a way against the best competition.

Mr. Smooth-RBY..looked in business mode today. Air of confidence about him like he knows he’s the best guy on the mat.

Howard..disappointed he dropped the first one.Stormed thru backside (showed a lot of heart) and the win against Ragusin will give him a ton of confidence. Looked really good upper body

Berge..total professional wrestler. I enjoy watching him and feel like he can win every match.

Beard..looked EXCELLENT all day. Totally out wrestled Amine and without the slip wins it. Very excited for him going forward.

Kerk..I realize he’s just getting back into it and probably hasn’t had a ton if any mat time. He took it on the chin vs Parris but I’m grateful he’s on our team. Watch out once he gets his lungs and a little more mat time. Can’t wait to see him in a couple weeks.

Joe Lee..Dispointing tournament.Nothing else to say. I’m sure he’s not happy with his performance and I feel for him. He snuck in and qualified to NCAAs. He’s a LEE, I love him and hope he takes this opportunity to dial it in and trust his low shots. He’s so good when he’s shooting low.

Proud of all our guys today!!

All positives tomorrow! Let’s Go!!!
Lemon was definitely not the “we need 8 scoring wrestlers” guy.
As for that axiom, we really needed Jimmy’s 3.5-4 points when we won by like 30.

Hell of a battle today! You all suffered a couple early setbacks but really stepped it up in the second session. For all intents and purposes, it's still anyone's for the taking. By anyone of course I mean PSU and Iowa. You have a chance to do well in the wrestlebacks and your finalists are all looking very good. Kem/Starocci and Lee/Eierman could decide it all in the end. I don't think the RBY or Brooks matches are in question unless poor Brooks has to pull out because of that ankle. Hated seeing that, but thankfully it appeared to be a minor injury and nothing that will keep him out of St. Louis. BTW, loved Lee's reaction when he beat Rivera and am glad he won the match as Rivera seems to be (at least from an outsider's perspective) a real trash talker.

Good luck tomorrow! :)

You are awesome, Tom!

Yep
9c73d24cd9bf2344987a22453f7facba.gif

Hell of a battle today! You all suffered a couple early setbacks but really stepped it up in the second session. For all intents and purposes, it's still anyone's for the taking. By anyone of course I mean PSU and Iowa. You have a chance to do well in the wrestlebacks and your finalists are all looking very good. Kem/Starocci and Lee/Eierman could decide it all in the end. I don't think the RBY or Brooks matches are in question unless poor Brooks has to pull out because of that ankle. Hated seeing that, but thankfully it appeared to be a minor injury and nothing that will keep him out of St. Louis. BTW, loved Lee's reaction when he beat Rivera and am glad he won the match as Rivera seems to be (at least from an outsider's perspective) a real trash talker.

Appreciate the well wishes. Should be some good battles between the Hawks and the Nits today but expect the experienced Hawks to prevail. Last years gap of 50 pts between them should be significantly closed setting up a real battle at Nationals. By the way, Spence Lee might just be the most dominating wrestler in this century. My god is he a buzz saw. Such an absolute joy to watch how he dissects the opponent and breaks them down within 10-15 seconds. Unbelievable!

Wow. Lots of wrestling today. We looked asleep in the morning but came out firing in session 2.

9 guys going to nationals..big positive as Lemon always said we need at least 8.

Feel bad for Beau. Kid seems to give 100% effort every match. Size definetly hurt him. Bright future for the kid. Was a pleasure watching him this year. Hope he gets a wildcard but highly doubt it.

MVP—Nick Lee. What a match against a great opponent

Balls of steel—Aaron Brooks. Coming back after getting bit, scratched and what appeared to be a bad ankle injury. Puts Brands on his back and shows the champion he is

Iceman—Carter Starocci. What else can you say? Ice in his veins. Beat 3 #2 ranked wrestlers this year. Keeps finding a way against the best competition.

Mr. Smooth-RBY..looked in business mode today. Air of confidence about him like he knows he’s the best guy on the mat.

Howard..disappointed he dropped the first one.Stormed thru backside (showed a lot of heart) and the win against Ragusin will give him a ton of confidence. Looked really good upper body

Berge..total professional wrestler. I enjoy watching him and feel like he can win every match.

Beard..looked EXCELLENT all day. Totally out wrestled Amine and without the slip wins it. Very excited for him going forward.

Kerk..I realize he’s just getting back into it and probably hasn’t had a ton if any mat time. He took it on the chin vs Parris but I’m grateful he’s on our team. Watch out once he gets his lungs and a little more mat time. Can’t wait to see him in a couple weeks.

Joe Lee..Dispointing tournament.Nothing else to say. I’m sure he’s not happy with his performance and I feel for him. He snuck in and qualified to NCAAs. He’s a LEE, I love him and hope he takes this opportunity to dial it in and trust his low shots. He’s so good when he’s shooting low.

Proud of all our guys today!!

All positives tomorrow! Let’s Go!!!

SPOT on. I really like this team. they are young, but you can see them getting better each match. gonna be a fun next few years...

Not related to this post, I reminded myself this morning that the good guys finished 4th in the Bigs last season- as a point of reference...

SPOT on. I really like this team. they are young, but you can see them getting better each match. gonna be a fun next few years...

Not related to this post, I reminded myself this morning that the good guys finished 4th in the Bigs last season- as a point of reference...
They were 50 pts behind Iowa last year. My expectations at this years B1Gs was that they’d get within 25 pts. But the prize is within their reach. Should be a fun afternoon! Could be as many as 5 Iowa-PSU matchups today.

PSU matches in this Session:

125: Howard vs. Malik Heinselman (OSU) in the Consolation Semis

157: Brady Berge vs. Brayton Lee (Minny) in the Consolation Semis

165: Joe Lee vs. David Ferrante (NW) in the 7th Place Match

195: Michael Beard vs. Cameron Caffey (MSU) in the Consolation Semis

285: Greg Kerkvilet vs. Christian Lance (Nebraska) in the Consolation Semis
thanks for posting, Tom, and great job by the wrestlers to work their way through consolations

I don't know how many of these are likely to go PSU's way -- probably Kerk and maybe Joe Lee, but we may be underdogs in the other matchups; I hope they surprise me

Im not sure it was a medical, he took the mat and forfeited.
A medical and he’s out for the rest of the tournament?
medical doesn’t count against your record.
please correct me if I’m wrong.

Reactions: ptomaselli
Turned out to be a very good day for dare I say it a young team. Interesting to see how this plays out. Most likely 2nd place which is very good this year. A good night rest should help and a couple of psu upsets are possible. Let it all hang out guys! Have fun!!

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
thanks for posting, Tom, and great job by the wrestlers to work their way through consolations

I don't know how many of these are likely to go PSU's way -- probably Kerk and maybe Joe Lee, but we may be underdogs in the other matchups; I hope they surprise me
As @smalls103 says, Robbie’s a different guy when he’s wrestling cocky. Malik H better be ready because I’m sure Robbie is just going to go gunslinger today

• When do weigh-ins happen tomorrow?
  • Do the wrestlers get an extra pound or 2?
  • Assuming yes, who do you think that benefits the most in the finals?
[/QUOTE]
Weigh in-ins are over, I ate breakfast. I am still alive in the Couchulation Finals at Heavyweight.

Appreciate the well wishes. Should be some good battles between the Hawks and the Nits today but expect the experienced Hawks to prevail. Last years gap of 50 pts between them should be significantly closed setting up a real battle at Nationals. By the way, Spence Lee might just be the most dominating wrestler in this century. My god is he a buzz saw. Such an absolute joy to watch how he dissects the opponent and breaks them down within 10-15 seconds. Unbelievable!
He is definately the most dangerous top wrestler. He rolled Foley and he couldnt even muster an inch of movement?
If Lee gets that bar arm in on you in FS, its game over, now he’s sticking guys with it in FOLK??

Edit: good show on Lee last night.

As @smalls103 says, Robbie’s a different guy when he’s wrestling cocky. Malik H better be ready because I’m sure Robbie is just going to go gunslinger today
One can see Howard and Beard gaining confidence, which should be scary for others. Same with Brady......nice offense, use it. Carter should start to use all that movement for more scoring attempts. If you are going to dance like RBY, then you should try to score like RBY. CStar is getting better too.

You're all class Nashville. Just in case you're not Captain Obvious..... Kemdog and Eierman are are BEASTS!!! Good luck.

Brooks ankle will be ok they had a x-ray done

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT