ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Trials Results and discussion thread

Bradley(4) vs Nelson(3) scored 7 points. A virtual shootout for them. May be their highest scoring match ever. :)

Reactions: nerfstate
Is Harvey Fierstein calling mat 4?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Are all of the NLWC guys done until this evening or do we have consultation matches left for guys this afternoon?

That seems like the ultimate source. The other rumblings may be mindless social media patter.
A couple of the announcers on the mats referred to some sort of pending appeal. I don’t see how they can do it after re-drawing the bracket, but if he was simply a minute or two late, I’m on the side of giving the guy a break.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I do not know. That's why I am not making any assumptions or sharing my opinion. I do not have the facts. And the last thing any sane person relies on is Twitter, Facebook, Message Board posters etc. Let the facts come out.

Edited to add Message Board posters to the the "not reliable" list.

I am not an expert on the rules relating to weigh-ins. However, I have seen arguments that the weigh-in deadline is necessary for tournament administration purposes. If the sole reason for the deadline is for administration purposes, the rules should be loosely enforced. These athletes have been training for this tournament for an awful long time and it is a lifelong dream that comes along every 4 years. The dream should not be shattered to simplify administration.

If there is a true and distinct competitive advantage, then I would think differently. However, I do not believe the deadline protects against a competitive advantage as long as the person made weight at some point on match day prior to the match.

I just feel awful for Cox.

Reactions: kevin310
That seems like the ultimate source. The other rumblings may be mindless social media patter.
And that source is pretty explicit. It says: "missed weight", not that he failed to show up on time. Now, I'm not saying that there wording was precise -- but it seems to be so. That's really too bad for him; but it's also on him.

Reactions: SRATH
And that source is pretty explicit. It says: "missed weight", not that he failed to show up on time. Now, I'm not saying that there wording was precise -- but it seems to be so. That's really too bad for him; but it's also on him.
I think “missed weight” explicitly means what I intuitively assume it means. Case closed! :)

I am not an expert on the rules relating to weigh-ins. However, I have seen arguments that the weigh-in deadline is necessary for tournament administration purposes. If the sole reason for the deadline is for administration purposes, the rules should be loosely enforced. These athletes have been training for this tournament for an awful long time and it is a lifelong dream that comes along every 4 years. The dream should not be shattered to simplify administration.

If there is a true and distinct competitive advantage, then I would think differently. However, I do not believe the deadline protects against a competitive advantage as long as the person made weight at some point on match day prior to the match.

I just feel awful for Cox.
I feel bad for JDC too, but should every athlete be given extra time to make weight? Things have to move on time to allow for redrawing brackets if something in fact happens at weigh ins. The matches should start on time as guys are managing their post weight in food/fluid intake etc.

We will all be interested in learning what actually happened.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I've heard he was over and failed to make it back to his retry on time because his coaches lost track of time. He made it on the retry, but a committee came together and ruled it didn't count.

I feel bad for JDC too, but should every athlete be given extra time to make weight? Things have to move on time to allow for redrawing brackets if something in fact happens at weigh ins. The matches should start on time as guys are managing their post weight in food/fluid intake etc.

We will all be interested in learning what actually happened.
No. Not every athlete should be given extra time. However, there should be a deadline with significant subjectivity built in to the rule to determine whether there has been a significant abuse of the deadline that justifies disqualification. I do not believe disqualification should be enforced on a black and white determination of whether the deadline is missed. Only significant abuse should justify disqualification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT