ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

I'd be willing to bet he has flipped and PSU is doing a deep dive into his high school and college transcripts. There was a week delay when it got out that Brisker was verbaling and he may have even said he was waiting on 'clearance" from PSU before he went public or PSU announced it.

Lackawanna transcript only. As a junior college transfer, his high school credentials, both transcript and test scores, are irrelevant. Key is that he has to bring 48 transferable credit from Lackawanna to PSU and receive his associate's degree.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Lackawanna transcript only. As a junior college transfer, his high school credentials, both transcript and test scores, are irrelevant. Key is that he has to bring 48 transferable credit from Lackawanna to PSU and receive his associate's degree.
Growing up in the area it was known as Lackaknowledge Junior College. 😏

Growing up in the area it was known as Lackaknowledge Junior College. 😏

Just looked and it appears that Lackawanna does not have an articulation agreement with University Park. Maybe things haven't changed much since you were growing up.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
All 2 year schools or JCs get a bad wrap. Growing up in Reading we said "If you can't HACC it...RACC it!"

Never mind the fact that these schools usually do a great job of helping students transition to a 4 year school. I should know, I have an Associate's Degree from RACC. I guess I couldn't HACC it. ;)

All 2 year schools or JCs get a bad wrap. Growing up in Reading we said "If you can't HACC it...RACC it!"

Never mind the fact that these schools usually do a great job of helping students transition to a 4 year school. I should know, I have an Associate's Degree from RACC. I guess I couldn't HACC it. ;)

Not all. Here in Metro NYC, many of the two year schools affiliated with the states and/or counties are pretty well regarded. The private ones, for whatever reasons, not so much.

Most high contracts include cost of college education if player washes out in minors.
Assigned value of 37th pick is a tick under
2m
Do they still allow NCAA college football players to play minor league baseball like John Elway did? I believe Drew Henson did the same if I recall correctly.

I believe they can. Sox signed a kid at UW
a few years ago. But, a MLB team won’t let a high pick risk injury.

Player pays tuition

Do they still allow NCAA college football players to play minor league baseball like John Elway did? I believe Drew Henson did the same if I recall correctly.

Though he didn't play, Kyler Murray signed a contract with the As before his final season at Oklahoma.

Most high contracts include cost of college education if player washes out in minors.
Assigned value of 37th pick is a tick under
2m

It's a nice PR stunt on the part of MLB. It's optional, subject to negotiation. The reason it's only seen in the high rounds is that probably somewhere below the sixth round the value of the plan exceeds cash for the contract. Also, any monies disbursed under the tuition plan are taxable and are paid net (of tax). Kid would have to have a lousy agent/adviser to agree to the plan.

so, how do the 'ships work this year. As I understand it, this season doesn't count against eligibility. So a kid who has played and this is his fourth active year, can come back. How does that count against the max limit? If they all came back, how would the staff know how many it could recruit? Maybe we are limited to 85 not including kids in their fifth year?

Not all. Here in Metro NYC, many of the two year schools affiliated with the states and/or counties are pretty well regarded. The private ones, for whatever reasons, not so much.

I would agree with that. Down here in Texas it it almost looked at as the way to go. I remember growing up in PA and not hearing much at all about JC's.

so, how do the 'ships work this year. As I understand it, this season doesn't count against eligibility. So a kid who has played and this is his fourth active year, can come back. How does that count against the max limit? If they all came back, how would the staff know how many it could recruit? Maybe we are limited to 85 not including kids in their fifth year?
Don't think those who come back for 5th year count against the max. This is likely self limiting because under current economic constraints.....I think many if not most schools will be prudent to only offer to "essential" players......just my opinion.

Don't think those who come back for 5th year count against the max. This is likely self limiting because under current economic constraints.....I think many if not most schools will be prudent to only offer to "essential" players......just my opinion.
interesting...so it may be by invitation only depending upon the school's finances and roster. Most 'ships are year to year anyway but rarely is a 'ship taken away unless there are legal or disciplinary issues. Kids that can't play for medical conditions are often extended even though they don't have to be.

interesting...so it may be by invitation only depending upon the school's finances and roster. Most 'ships are year to year anyway but rarely is a 'ship taken away unless there are legal or disciplinary issues. Kids that can't play for medical conditions are often extended even though they don't have to be.
That's how I read it. In fact didn't Franklin mention that position coaches were having those discussions?
Conversely, don't you recall Barry Alvarez stating that Wisky would not be able to honor scholarships for spring athletes who were granted an extra year? Purely because of financial implications.

Reactions: Obliviax
This is where the “ We really appreciate all the work and sacrifice that you’ve put into the program, and you have been a great teammate. But have you ever considered, and we can help you with that, thought of transferring to a school where you might actually get to play in a game “ speech is given.

This is where the “ We really appreciate all the work and sacrifice that you’ve put into the program, and you have been a great teammate. But have you ever considered, and we can help you with that, thought of transferring to a school where you might actually get to play in a game “ speech is given.
Actually, I think that is part of the sacred promise given when a "recruit" commits. Given the current status of the portal .....I'd be stunned that if alternatives aren't discussed up front and during the process of "courting" a young man.
I'm certain coaches paint a picture of (for example) how they envision a wide receiver candidate's "talent" fitting into the system. They probably splice video clips of previous players with similar skills and ask the player and parents to project that role to their future play at PSU.
A promise to do everything possible to honor the commitment should include the outstanding education portion and extending every effort to help place the young athlete in another program should things not work out.

Anyone else kind of waiting for a nice 2021 surprise during tomorrow's signing day events? The AL RB, a player at a position of need such as DE, the JUCO CB, .....

I guess a flip of a Pitt commit would probably provide the most near term entertainment value..... ;)

247 update on Calvin Johnson II

French Camp Academy (MS) defensive back Calvin Johnson II grew up attending Mississippi State football games. The Bulldogs showed little in the way of interest in the early stages of the process, which saw Johnson commit to Navy back in June. Once his senior film made the rounds, Johnson saw his recruitment explode. New offers from Florida State, Northwestern, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Penn State among others led to Johnson becoming highly coveted. In many respects his college recruitment was reborn, so some extended time to consider his options is expected.

"Small recruiting classes aren’t unique to Penn State either. Just two years ago, Ohio State’s class of 17 commitments ranked 21st overall, and that included five-star defensive lineman
Zach Harrison"

Reactions: NedFromYork
So I’m having trouble following all this. Have we officially flipped any recruits? Are there any surprises so far? Are there players we are still trying to flip who are still undeclared? Thanks

All of our previously committed recruits have officially signed with Penn State. We have not flipped any recruits yet. There are a few recruits we are heavily recruiting that could commit/flip to Penn State this week if they want to sign during the early signing period.

Reactions: Nitwit and TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT