ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

I think this is and the Luther Richesson (#71 QB from Tenn) are the big stories of the elite 11.

Ewers was not just the #1 QB, he was the #1 overall player with a perfect 1.000 rating heading into the event and now he isn't even a top 5 QB.

He will almost certainly remain the consensus #1 player in the nation. Probably deservedly so. He just recently dominated the QB camp out in California a few weeks ago (the QB Retreat).

Trevor Lawrence finished #4 in the Elite 11 in 2017. Behind the likes of Justin Rogers and Tanner McKee. He remained the #1 recruit in the nation.

These camps are useful for relatively unknowns to get noticed, and to expose fundamental flaws among bigger named QBs. Beyond that.......?

And yes, the SI rankings are garbage, and almost certainly an attempt to generate some clicks and buzz by being "different". Maalik Murphy #2 overall when the Elite 11 didn't even include him in the final 11.

Last edited:
He will almost certainly remain the consensus #1 player in the nation. Probably deservedly so. He just recently dominated the QB camp out in California a few weeks ago (the QB Retreat).

Trevor Lawrence finished #4 in the Elite 11 in 2017. Behind the likes of Justin Rogers and Tanner McKee. He remained the #1 recruit in the nation.

These camps are useful for relatively unknowns to get noticed, and to expose fundamental flaws among bigger named QBs. Beyond that.......?

And yes, the SI rankings are garbage, and almost certainly an attempt to generate some clicks and buzz by being "different". Maalik Murphy #2 overall when the Elite 11 didn't even include him in the final 11.
Remains to be seen. I even noticed that Ewers looks a little soft or pudgy in the photos from the event next to his peers. Most of those kids are tall and lean muscle types, Ewers looks a little different. Maybe Ewers peaked early which lead to his #1 ranking?

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV

To me it is all about the scheme the players ends up being a part of. You are correct that these camps don't give the whole picture. Very happy with the two QBs is PSUs class. Both very capable and should be able to excel in the new offensive scheme of coach Yurcich as will Ewers @ OSU in their scheme.

Remains to be seen. I even noticed that Ewers looks a little soft or pudgy in the photos from the event next to his peers. Most of those kids are tall and lean muscle types, Ewers looks a little different. Maybe Ewers peaked early which lead to his #1 ranking?
Is it just me, or does anyone else look at Quinn Ewers and think of Bobby Eaton of the 80’s tag team The Midnight Express?

Honest question -- have you seen Ewers play? His highlights from the QB Retreat last month were ridiculous, but he's even more impressive in game action. His ball placement is other-worldly. Drawing a lot of Rivers/Mahomes comparisons regarding his mechanics.

It's not inconceivable for one of the services to rank somebody else #1, but very doubtful that Ewers loses the composite #1 ranking.

To me it is all about the scheme the players ends up being a part of. You are correct that these camps don't give the whole picture. Very happy with the two QBs is PSUs class. Both very capable and should be able to excel in the new offensive scheme of coach Yurcich as will Ewers @ OSU in their scheme.

Yep.

I really, really like Pribula. Taking nothing away from Allar of course, but I don't think it's a given that Allar is the heir apparent. Pribula seems to fit the mold of how PSU QBs have been used over the past 4-5 years, and I really like his mobility and his grit. Doesn't have the arm talent that Allar has, but he's probably a more dangerous dual threat.

It's a good problem to have.

Yep.

I really, really like Pribula. Taking nothing away from Allar of course, but I don't think it's a given that Allar is the heir apparent. Pribula seems to fit the mold of how PSU QBs have been used over the past 4-5 years, and I really like his mobility and his grit. Doesn't have the arm talent that Allar has, but he's probably a more dangerous dual threat.

It's a good problem to have.
I think we are going to be changing our mold of QBs as long at MY is here and I am fine with that personally. Trace was great, and plucky, but we have been trying to make Clifford into that and we have seen some injuries and inconsistency at that position dating back to Trace's senior year. MY will run then, but I believe he likes big qbs and big throws.

1,000 points for the Midnight Express reference!

Man, Saturday morning TV when living in North Carolina....used to go to NWA matches at high schools.

d59b7df99f82054b7b0749acfcc30269.jpg

Really, don't care about elite 11 results. Statistically over the years hasn't been very accurate at predicting success of participants. Impromptu 7 on 7...doesn't emulate what QBs will face in their P5 experiences. It is more entertaining than useful.

I was happy with the potential of Pribula and Allar before this event and still am after it. I look forward to the real test coming up for them especially with the receiver corps they will have during their development at State. Onward...

With Durant and Fearbry, 247 gives a class score of 221.23 which is good for the 4th best class. Obviously the other teams will be adding players this summer as well.

But adding Singleton and Nelson, hopefully, would result in a class score of 242.76 for the 18 commits (more than anyone else in the top 10, and one more than ND the current 2nd best class score) which would be 2nd only to oh-high-ya at this point ......

And then if CJF can get DDS, the class score goes to 53.75..... :oops: Which would have been good for 15th in the final 2021 ratings, with only 19 players, or 257.23 with Artis as well...... And then possibly a couple of additional players later in the cycle to solidify a top 10 class. But as of today a very good group that more than begins to addresses the needs for the class of QB, DE, OL, WR....

Another thing that could help the class rating would be if the 2 JC players get bumped. The OL Nelson should surely get re-rated as he is not rated at all to this point on 247 and his offer list should make him a mid 3 star.

But bottom line is that this class so far seems to be made of of more of Franklin's, and his staff's, initial offers than any class that I can remember. No plan B's so far at all, and that has to be a good thing for the future of PSU football.

Last edited:
With Durant and Fearbry, 247 gives a class score of 221.23 which is good for the 4th best class. Obviously the other teams will be adding players this summer as well.

But adding Singleton and Nelson, hopefully, would result in a class score of 242.76 for the 18 commits (more than anyone else in the top 10, and one more than ND the current 2nd best class score) which would be 2nd only to oh-high-ya at this point ......

Running the numbers last night, if we land the following class......

Fearbry (check), Durant (check), Artis, Singleton, Driver, Nelson, Cam Miller, KJ Winston, and Andre Roye

.......that would give us 23 commits and a class ranked anywhere from 9-13 or so.

This assumes a few things. There's no chance we catch OSU, and very unlikely we catch ND. Also, UGA and LSU will jump back over us. Plus, Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M likely jump us as they add more kids. Oregon and USC are a few more than could jump us......they have smaller classes so far, but more top-level commits.

Now, that can differ depending on whether DDS commits to us or if we have a few guys make massive jumps in the rankings. Right now though, I'm guessing we settle into that 10-12 range. Which is a pretty solid rebound from last year.

Fearbry (check), Durant (check), Artis, Singleton, Driver, Nelson, Cam Miller, KJ Winston, and Andre Roye

.......that would give us 23 commits and a class ranked anywhere from 9-13 or so.

This assumes a few things. There's no chance we catch OSU, and very unlikely we catch ND. Also, UGA and LSU will jump back over us. Plus, Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M likely jump us as they add more kids. Oregon and USC are a few more than could jump us......they have smaller classes so far, but more top-level commits.

Now, that can differ depending on whether DDS commits to us or if we have a few guys make massive jumps in the rankings. Right now though, I'm guessing we settle into that 10-12 range. Which is a pretty solid rebound from last year.

I'll say to 7 - 10.

• Love
Reactions: bmw199

When has DDS indicated he will announce? This coming week I thought.

Reactions: TheGLOV
We had one of the best days of any program. Probably THE best day for the 2022 class at least.

Elsewhere.....

Derrick Brown committed to Oklahoma as expected.

Michigan got a 3* TE from Idaho.

Enai White hinting that he's ready to decide. My guess is either Alabama or UGA -- I suspect he wants to play OLB.

#1 player in the 2021 class committed to OSU. Gives OSU the top DL class (and #2 overall class) in the 247 era. First team ever to get 5 of the 247 top-10.

Oregon went down into Texas and got a 5* OT. Sark getting his ass absolutely handed to him in recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT