ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Both Alabama and Ohio St have been caught many times with recruits receiving thousands of dollars in benefits. A quick google search makes this undeniable. I doubt Alabama has to play that game any more as they win the NC every other year now and put 5 stars in the league at a rate that no one else does. But Ohio St clearly does as does LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc.

It isn't the coaches paying the players. They aren't that dumb (at least I don't think so). But they are OK with a well developed network of boosters taking care of it.

And the NIL era is a few days old. It didn't influence the decisions of every prior recruiting class and the 95% of recruits committed to schools in the '22 class before NIL was permitted.

Can you provide some proof of this? Meaning, current staffs at some of these schools paying recruits.

Some instances are well documented. LSU, for instance. I suspect that at least some kids at pretty much any major program are receiving some extras here and there.

But this kind of knee-jerk "they cheated" nonsense is literally the same crap that Pitt fans levy at us. Maryland fans have done the same thing as we've raided the DMV for top-tier Maryland kids over the past several years. Franklin's gotta be buying kids!

It's a total loser's mentality. It's like we can't even fathom why a kid would want to actually play for Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or Texas A&M or whoever. When Elijah Jeudy committed to Texas A&M, the refrain here was BAGMAN! Funny, because those same people wanted Elijah Robinson to replace Coach Chaos as DL coach. Instead of crediting Robinson with being a dynamite recruiter, nope.......gotta be the bagman.

We laugh at the pathetic nature of Pitt fans, but some of the commentary here is pretty much of the same quality.
You're both a little right and a little wrong. No one should be denying top recruits are getting cash for signing with college football programs. It's been caught on tape, caught in text messages, it's been written about by investigative journalists (read the bagman article that is now 7 years old), and the circumstantial evidence of instas and tweets is insurmountable.

There is no point about in complaining about it. Especially when what you are complaining about is that others do it better than we do. I think I saw 50K bandied about earlier...that's the going rate on a backup linebacker. I think that low 4* kid from MissSt reported getting that. For a 5* that would be 4x-8x more.

That doesn't mean they also aren't great at recruiting. Doesn't take anything away from how they run their program, from an admin level, with way more support. Just the way the world turns. I am sure Franklin and Frank are hard at work lining up NIL offers, directly or indirectly because compared to the south our under the table game (and we do have one) is minor leagues.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Don't we know someone at ASU?

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-spor...against-arizona-state-football-055252113.html

"Also included in the documents are email screenshots of Adam Breneman, the tight ends coach who was a graduate assistant at the time, sending a plane ticket from Philadelphia to Phoenix to a recruit on July 24, 2020, for a flight on July 25. The screenshot includes an email to the Google address of the recruit, who enrolled at a school in a different conference.

Included in the documents is a screenshot with a specific credit card number the documents allege is tied to Breneman. Breneman declined to comment to Yahoo Sports."

maxresdefault.jpg
You can be really fn smart and lack street smarts. Hopefully he comes back to PA and sets up shop at a top high school as coach. Even better, send him to a private school in NJ to coach.

Reactions: bison13
Singleton reminds me of Ki-Jana based on his junior year tape. Not a ton of moves but great speed and toughness to eat up yards.
I don't see that yet, but I think it is a pretty good ceiling comparison for him (i.e. he doesn't have a ceiling). Right now he is floor Stephfon Green, which isn't all that bad. Singleton wouldn't have been my top rb on the board just on rb style/talent. Take into account the instate aspect and i can see why you would have him top.

Reminds me of that PSU Saquan's back up kid. He now plays on the Philly Eagles.

What was his name again??

:) ;) :)
What??? lol. Glove get the specs checked. Allen is not like Sanders.

• Love
Looking good for Allen, but there are now 5 FC for Sutton for UGA. Hopefully is changes just like Singleton.

Rivals analysts seem to have more or differing info than the analysts on 247 right now. There are still a few weeks for things to move one way or the other, I think right now most of these analysts are going off of "vibe" rather than facts. I'm not necessarily saying DDS is bound for PSU, just feels like it's 50/50 Georgia/PSU at this given moment.

Reactions: bmw199 and psuno1
Rivals analysts seem to have more or differing info than the analysts on 247 right now. There are still a few weeks for things to move one way or the other, I think right now most of these analysts are going off of "vibe" rather than facts. I'm not necessarily saying DDS is bound for PSU, just feels like it's 50/50 Georgia/PSU at this given moment.
To undergird your statement about the uncertainty, Wiltfong apparently lowered his confidence level for DDS to PSU to a 1, the lowest possible level...but yet despite the drastic loss in confidence, at least for now he still kept the prediction to PSU...LOL

Last edited:

Rivals staff are politicians first analyst third and for the most part unprofessional. Not all, of course. I think too many self anointed analysts on most services are just shills because they are foremost fans of a program or a conference. Don't really care anyway. I really enjoy following recruiting despite all the hacks involved. Been enjoying it since 1968 when the pay for stars system didn't exist.

Last edited:

Obviously PSU is likely to only have 2 RB's in this class, but fyi the only current CB is for PSU...of course that can change quickly...

Kickers, punters, and long snappers have their own 5* rating system, and the best of them are considered 5*.

But when thrown into the mix with the rest of the positions, they're usually 3* kids.

So yes, a 5*. But not really a 5*.

I'm certain you're going to hve to re-do (again) your prognostications regarding PSU and their final ranking recruting-wise sir!

And I say that with a bit of humility and a dash of silly-smirk!

Now that Singleton is onboard!!

Future 5-star kid IMO.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
I'm certain you're going to hve to re-do (again) your prognostications regarding PSU and their final ranking recruting-wise sir!

And I say that with a bit of humility and a dash of silly-smirk!

Now that Singleton is onboard!!

Future 5-star kid IMO.

I had Singleton built into my equation already.

(adding Singleton + Kaytron Allen + DDS + Driver + Nelson + Clemons + Moses Walker + Cam Miller = 277.55)

Kickers, punters, and long snappers have their own 5* rating system, and the best of them are considered 5*.

But when thrown into the mix with the rest of the positions, they're usually 3* kids.

So yes, a 5*. But not really a 5*.

And I say that with a bit of humility and
I had Singleton built into my equation already.

(adding Singleton + Kaytron Allen + DDS + Driver + Nelson + Clemons + Moses Walker + Cam Miller = 277.55)

Does it change though sir if he is ranked a 5-star as compared to his now 4-star but high 4-star ranking?

Just asking.

Plz don't be mad sir.

Thanks!

Does it change though sir if he is ranked a 5-star as compared to his now 4-star but high 4-star ranking?

Just asking.

Plz don't be mad sir.

Thanks!
If Singleton is bumped up to a 5*? Sure, that will change the overall class ranking. I think Saunders stands a better chance of getting a huge bump than Singleton, but right now Singleton is .9578. Let's say he gets elevated to the #30 prospect nationally. That's .9849.

By my quick calculation, that moves our hypothetical "best case" class up from 277.55 to 281.04. Would bump us up from #8 overall class to #7 overall class (based on how the 2021 class rankings settled).

We're really not going to get much higher than bottom half of the top 10 without paying the elite players like Ohio St and the SEC does. There are hundred$ of thou$and$ of reasons that they get so many 5 stars.
I’ll chip in $ to land some 5 stars. We should have a Penn St recruiting go fund me. Why can’t we do what everyone else is, now ‘legally’

If Singleton is bumped up to a 5*? Sure, that will change the overall class ranking. I think Saunders stands a better chance of getting a huge bump than Singleton, but right now Singleton is .9578. Let's say he gets elevated to the #30 prospect nationally. That's .9849.

By my quick calculation, that moves our hypothetical "best case" class up from 277.55 to 281.04. Would bump us up from #8 overall class to #7 overall class (based on how the 2021 class rankings settled).

Thank you!

@Thomas1945 -- my completely wild ass guess?

Another RB (either Allen or Ramon Brown), another WR (Clemons is probably our top target), another OL or two, another DL, another LB or two, and a few from the secondary.

I think we are in good shape for Allen and our secondary targets. Not really sure where the various LB targets stand -- Walker, Barham, Murphy, etc. I think DDS ends up at UGA. Clemons seems like a legit possibility. Don't know if Andre Roye is a take on the OL, but I do know that word on the street is that Aamil Wagner is very much NOT in the bag for OSU and seems to be interested in ND/UK but could be a realistic option.

If you include Shelton, who is really from PA and would fall at #3, PSU would have six of the top nine with Nelson still a strong possibility. Missing White isn't great, but can't complain overall.

Interesting that 247 has us just behind ND on total points but with the exact same number of commits and a slightly higher average recruiting ranking than they have. Essentially, we are tied at #2 with ND at the moment.

Interesting that 247 has us just behind ND on total points but with the exact same number of commits and a slightly higher average recruiting ranking than they have. Essentially, we are tied at #2 with ND at the moment.
Because two of our commits don't have ratings. We have fewer rated commits than they do. But yes, we're basically identical in the makeup of our classes at the moment.

Last edited:
Because two of our commits don't have ratings. We have fewer rated commits than they do. But yes, we're basically identical in the makeup of our classes at the moment.
Thanks, that explains it but now I definitely think that we are above ND. 2 of our recruits are not yet rated. Clearly when they are rated, the points that they add to our score will leapfrog ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT