ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Nelson Jr. had a rough spring camp cycle - many are speculating that his stock could be dropping, possibly even with PSU's staff.

Interestingly enough, Ryan put in a FC this morning for 3* DB Jordan Allen from Louisiana to the good guys.

The OSU guys on Eleven Warriors recently expressed that they no longer have much confidence in 4* OT Aamil Wagner attending OSU. Sounds like PSU, UK, & ND have made recent surges and OSU isn't the perceived leader any longer.

From Rivals main page:

2. Penn State is the leader for Dani Dennis-Sutton heading into his decision later this month.​

Gorney’s take: FACT. Dani Dennis-Sutton has great relationships with the Penn State coaches and players so I wouldn’t be as sold if the five-star defensive end was waiting through the fall to make his decision. That way he could visit Georgia and Alabama for game weekends and then really have a much better feel. But Dennis-Sutton is planning to commit later in July and that means he’s probably picking where he’s most comfortable right now and has the best relationships and that’s with Penn State.

Friedman’s take: FICTION. Penn State could very well be the leader for Dennis-Sutton but Georgia is right at the top too. It doesn't seem like Dennis-Sutton is totally locked in with his decision yet and there could be some movement behind the scenes. The relationships between Dennis-Sutton and the Penn State coaches and players are stronger than any other school but Georgia has everything Dennis-Sutton is looking for too. It will be a very hard decision for him to make and there isn't much time for these two teams to jockey for position.

Notes from Elite 11 camp:

“- Drew Allar showed top three arm talent the first two days of the camp. The target competition, which was just as much a conditioning drill, was a rough one for him and he actually threw up halfway though it. To his credit, he did puke and rally and finished off the drill but we didn’t see a lot of him during 7v7 play. We’re still very high on the Penn State commit and probably only Ewers has his ability as a pure thrower.”

I didn’t realize he was sick midway through the weekend, which would explain the drop off in performance the final two days. Great to hear the comparisons to Ewers.

Nelson Jr. had a rough spring camp cycle - many are speculating that his stock could be dropping, possibly even with PSU's staff.

Interestingly enough, Ryan put in a FC this morning for 3* DB Jordan Allen from Louisiana to the good guys.

The OSU guys on Eleven Warriors recently expressed that they no longer have much confidence in 4* OT Aamil Wagner attending OSU. Sounds like PSU, UK, & ND have made recent surges and OSU isn't the perceived leader any longer.

I don't think the Wagner-OSU relationship was ever strong on either side. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Wagner was very much open......A lot of assumptions he was OSU bound when he got his offer because he's an Ohio kid, but OSU has a few other OTs rated higher and apparently Wagner is looking for a program with a different vibe than OSU. Should benefit smaller town teams like ND and PSU (and UK's OL coach has a strong relationship with several midwestern OL prospects).

On Nelson......yes, hasn't really performed terribly well on the summer circuit thus far. South Carolina could be a player here.

INteresting on the Jordan Allen thing. Seems like Louisville and Miami are the biggest players in his recruitment. Might be an indicator that the staff is looking beyond Nelson if they're going after Allen. Particularly since I imagine KJ Winston is still in play.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
I'd rather define "Dominate the State" as a goal. Coaches like others set goals. Like people in every walk of life, sometimes we achieve and sometimes we don't.
THIS👆...why should the goal be set lower than "Dominate the State" just because the goal isn't always reached?
...especially considering the existing circumstances when it was first said...

I beg to differ glov. When your coach comes into the school with his cute little "doninate the state" mantra he better get the tops in the state. If he doesn't in a given year, fair game for reports to keep score how he is doing. This really is part of the story, Franklin didn't recruit particularly well last year, in state or out of state, but they are doing a wonderful job this year. No better example of that then getting singleton, a top player, in the state coming to PSU. Promises made, promises kept.

Point taken.

Good eval.

Got to love (hate) Adam Friedman!

After missing on the top nine players in the state last year, including players like five-star legacy prospect Nolan Rucci, and Rivals100 players Kyle McCord, Marvin Harrison Jr., Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Elliot Donald, and Derrick Davis, James Franklin and his staff are turning it around.

Just had to throw in a healthy dose of negativity when talking about Singleton.

Is it really a 'miss' if we were not interested in them or they interested in us?

Just because they live in Pa. does not mean we missed on them.

McCord and Rucci yes but everyone else - no!

Not misses at all.

I think this is a clue; this article and here's why:

When Singleton committed, INSTANTLY there were film analysis, interviews from various people, film of his soph. & junior seasons, etc. It was a miracle! Instantaneous it was!

BAM!

This was just seconds after his live CBS announcement.

You guys, and you know who you are, knew it in advance and prepared your stuff for us very well for all to enjoy!

I'm just reading the tea leaves.

:)

I'm sure you are all doing your prep work now or have already finished it.

;)

I don't think the Wagner-OSU relationship was ever strong on either side. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Wagner was very much open......A lot of assumptions he was OSU bound when he got his offer because he's an Ohio kid, but OSU has a few other OTs rated higher and apparently Wagner is looking for a program with a different vibe than OSU. Should benefit smaller town teams like ND and PSU (and UK's OL coach has a strong relationship with several midwestern OL prospects).

On Nelson......yes, hasn't really performed terribly well on the summer circuit thus far. South Carolina could be a player here.

INteresting on the Jordan Allen thing. Seems like Louisville and Miami are the biggest players in his recruitment. Might be an indicator that the staff is looking beyond Nelson if they're going after Allen. Particularly since I imagine KJ Winston is still in play.
Has Nelson had other bad camps than the one where he and no one else could keep Saunders from doing whatever he wanted?

Wagner would be an awesome get IMO. He looks like an athlete to me more than most OL.

Jordan Allen may be a tough pull without a visit.

I also feel like Kaytron Allen may be joining the fray. He had his date locked in before Singleton announced and then as soon as Allen puts a commitment date out there, Ramon Brown does. Almost like dominoes falling here. We're only taking 2 and commit 1 just dropped. Then prospects 2 and 3 immediately announce their commitment dates.

Has Nelson had other bad camps than the one where he and no one else could keep Saunders from doing whatever he wanted?

Wagner would be an awesome get IMO. He looks like an athlete to me more than most OL.

Jordan Allen may be a tough pull without a visit.

I also feel like Kaytron Allen may be joining the fray. He had his date locked in before Singleton announced and then as soon as Allen puts a commitment date out there, Ramon Brown does. Almost like dominoes falling here. We're only taking 2 and commit 1 just dropped. Then prospects 2 and 3 immediately announce their commitment dates.
Not sure if PSU will get either of the RB prospects you mention, but Ramon Brown's commitment date is Friday (in only 2 days)...IF PSU was still in play for both then an interesting dynamic may have already played out behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Not sure if PSU will get either of the RB prospects you mention, but Ramon Brown's commitment date is Friday (in only 2 days)...IF PSU was still in play for both then an interesting dynamic may have already played out behind the scenes.
That's exactly what I think occurred. I believe Allen announced his commitment date first. If we get him, it is likely Brown was told we're filled up. If we get Brown, it is likely Allen told PSU that he was headed elsewhere.

How does 42 offers translate to 3 stars?
Depends how many of them are commitable offers.

In general, where a kid goes for his official visits -- and the extent to which schools press hard to get a visit -- are better indicators of who the real competition is than whether or not a scholarship offer is in hand. JMO.

Good prospect, though I certainly haven't seen enough to say whether he deserves 3* vs. 4*.

I think this is a clue; this article and here's why:

When Singleton committed, INSTANTLY there were film analysis, interviews from various people, film of his soph. & junior seasons, etc. It was a miracle! Instantaneous it was!

BAM!

This was just seconds after his live CBS announcement.

You guys, and you know who you are, knew it in advance and prepared your stuff for us very well for all to enjoy!

I'm just reading the tea leaves.

:)

I'm sure you are all doing your prep work now or have already finished it.

;)

Well my, my, my!

It's now 50% - 50% LSU & PSU when just this very morning, it was a 3-team race!

Come on Tom, you can tell me that I'm right!

Lord knows, ya let me know when I'm wrong!!

;) :) ;)

Reactions: TheGLOV
Can’t imagine 247 Sports likes this Penn State Sports Talk Twitter account telling everyone VIP information.
If that is the case, of course not...but if you simply click on Kaytron Allen's profile without logging in you can see the 3 CB's listed, so although the official analyst posts and comments are behind a paywall, simply being able to view the CB is not currently monetized (except for any ad revenue of course).

If true Seider should get a raise. The man knows how to corral running backs.
Agree. He not only can corral them but he must be able to coach them as well. Journey coming out of high school had potential but Seider brought it out. He became a monster. My heart still aches for him as I would have liked to see what his future held. Best of luck Journey!

Singleton and Allen would be pretty close to a best-case scenario going into June, right? Oklahoma, Texas, and Alabama have some spectacular RB classes for 2022 right now but have to love what Penn State did if those 2 end up coming on board.
The offensive skill positions in this class are very strong already. If you add Allen, maybe even Clemens, good Lord, that is an incredible haul of talent.

Reactions: garw and TheGLOV
Any likelihood that Enai White makes it to the Whiteout game?

Has he ever been to a game? I can't believe he wouldn't be at least curious about the atmosphere. He doesn't need to waste an official visit to do that either. Close enough to home that his parents can go with him/watch him if he were to choose PSU. I know the staff would find a scholarship for him no matter the count come December.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any likelihood that Enai White makes it to the Whiteout game?

Keep the light on for him, but if he isn't about what we are about, then que Sera, Sera....

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT