ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Yeah, thought Talley would learn after the last time he tweeted and was wrong.
He's definitely been jawing at some of the OSU commits over the past few months. Even circulated some rumors about some of them flipping (which apparently pissed the OSU side off).

Personally, I like a little bit of heat in a rivalry. Makes for more compelling storylines. But......better be prepared to back it up. Shareef Miller talking about how Dwayne Haskins will fold if you hit him didn't turn out so well for us.

He's definitely been jawing at some of the OSU commits over the past few months. Even circulated some rumors about some of them flipping (which apparently pissed the OSU side off).

Personally, I like a little bit of heat in a rivalry. Makes for more compelling storylines. But......better be prepared to back it up. Shareef Miller talking about how Dwayne Haskins will fold if you hit him didn't turn out so well for us.

I like the energy of this class too. Need to keep it up.

Yeah, thought Talley would learn after the last time he tweeted and was wrong.
A college football social media site just posted a DM between Talley and an Ohio State recruit where Talley is asking the recruit to put in a good word for him to Coach LJ. It didn’t say when the communication was.

Something tells me that Talley will never step foot on campus as a Penn State student.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
A college football social media site just posted a DM between Talley and an Ohio State recruit where Talley is asking the recruit to put in a good word for him to Coach LJ. It didn’t say when the communication was.

Something tells me that Talley will never step foot on campus as a Penn State student.

Yeah......basically begging for OSU to give him a look. If you're gonna start a trash-talking war, make sure the other guy doesn't have any embarrassing ammo to throw back at you.

Either way, I admire the young man's exuberance :) Let's just channel that on the football field......

May 27. But had to be at least a year ago because July 20 shows up on the screen below the exchange in question. Talley committed to PSU on 9/8/20. So this was before he was committed.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Well now that’s a happy thought after all the good things that have happened in the last few days. In this crazy business with kids you may be right and he might flip, get shot, join the peace Corp, enter a monastery or become an Uber driver before it’s all said and done.

May 27. But had to be at least a year ago because July 20 shows up on the screen below the exchange in question. Talley committed to PSU on 9/8/20. So this was before he was committed.

So it appears that Hicks from Ohio St's recruiting class is trying to pass off a communication from Talley as while he was committed when in fact it occurred over 3 months before he committed to Penn St?

Class so far, 18 commits:
Offense
QB - 2 - Allar, Pribula
RB - 1 - Singleton
WR - 4 - Ivey, Saunders, Flowers (WR/S), Johnson
TE - 1 - Cross
OL - 3 - Shelton (OT), McNeil (OT), JB Nelson (G)

Defense
DT - 2 - Artis, Durant
DE - 2 - Talley, Frearbry
LB - 1 - Wylie
CB - 0
Safety - 1 - Mills

Special Teams
P - 1 - Bacchetta

For a 25 players class, that would leave 7 spots open:

Positions likely filled - QB, DT, TE, kickers

Going forward:
Offense
RB - 1 - Allen OR Brown
WR - 1 - Clemons or ???
OL - 2 - Givens, and/or Wagner, and/or Roye, or ???
Defense
DE - 1 - DDS, or Stricktland or ???
LB - 1 - Carter or Walker or Barham
Safety - 2 - Winston and/or Driver(S/WR), or ???
CB - 2 - Nelson, and/or Miler, or ???

So there are 7 spots open for a 25 recruit class. But the players PSU is involved with, and positions needs seem to add to 27.

If Driver commits to PSU, does that eliminate Clemons and does that mean that Driver and Flowers compete to see who will be the best WR and who will be the best Safety between them? Aside from Brisker big, athletic Safety's have been missing from Franklin's defenses and getting both Flowers and Driver would be great....

It seems that DE is still a big need on the roster and that if DDS does not pick PSU that Franklin will go after another DE such as Strickland to get 3 legit DE's in the class.

To me it's highly unlikely that the staff only takes 1 CB in this class, even with the young transfers that arrived recently.

With so much time before signing day and a number of top targets committing within the month the last couple spots will be very competitively sought after..... That's a very good thing!

Comments?

Last edited:
Offense
QB - 2 - Allar, Pribula
RB - 1 - Singleton
TE - 1 - Cross

Defense
DT - 2 - Artis, Durant
LB - 1 - Wylie
CB - 0
Safety - 1 - Mills

Special Teams
P - 1 - Bacchetta

Going forward:
Offense
RB - 1 - Allen OR Brown
WR - 1 - Clemons or ???
Defense

So there are 7 spots open for a 25 recruit class. But the players PSU is involved with, and positions needs seem to add to 27.

If Driver commits to PSU, does that eliminate Clemons and does that mean that Driver and Flowers compete to see who will be the best WR and who will be the best Safety between them?

It seems that DE is still a big need on the roster and that if DDS does not pick PSU that Franklin will go after another DE such as Strickland.

To me it's highly unlikely that the staff only takes 1 CB in this class, even with the young transfers that arrived recently.

With so much time before signing day that last couple spots will be very competitively sought after..... That's a very good thing.

Comments?
Well presently it certainly looks like the last spot or two won’t be filled by someone who’s best quality is not tripping over his shoelaces, constantly dropping his gloves or running slower than my sainted mother.

Offense
QB - 2 - Allar, Pribula
RB - 1 - Singleton
TE - 1 - Cross

Defense
DT - 2 - Artis, Durant
LB - 1 - Wylie
CB - 0
Safety - 1 - Mills

Special Teams
P - 1 - Bacchetta

Going forward:
Offense
RB - 1 - Allen OR Brown
WR - 1 - Clemons or ???
Defense

If Driver commits to PSU, does that eliminate Clemons and does that mean that Driver and Flowers compete to see who will be the best WR and who will be the best Safety between them?

It seems that DE is still a big need on the roster and that if DDS does not pick PSU that Franklin will go after another DE such as Strickland.

With so much time before signing day that last couple spots will be very competitively sought after..... That's a very good thing.

Comments?
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

What did he post that is not the truth?
He either passed -- or started -- a rumor about a few OSU kids flipping. Including CJ Hicks, if memory serves -- which probably explains why those two are very salty toward one another. I think it was Talley who also claimed that OSU WR commit Caleb Burton was flipping to Oregon. In that case, I don't think Oregon was even remotely involved, so that one generated some scratching of the head.

Offense
QB - 2 - Allar, Pribula
RB - 1 - Singleton
TE - 1 - Cross

Defense
DT - 2 - Artis, Durant
LB - 1 - Wylie
CB - 0
Safety - 1 - Mills

Special Teams
P - 1 - Bacchetta

Going forward:
Offense
RB - 1 - Allen OR Brown
WR - 1 - Clemons or ???
Defense

Comments?
Thanks for putting this together. I think there are a few commits with positional flexibility. So I'm not sure that we are down to exactly this # at this position. I'm thinking they have worked themselves into a little bit of best available with some of the remaining spots.

Now I don't think we're taking a 3rd QB but the high number of WRs commits and prospects will likely cover at less 1 or 2 of the lesser number of defensive backs in the funnel. I also feel like some of the DEs could be LBs. And they aren't going to turn down DDS or that level of talent regardless of numbers.

He either passed -- or started -- a rumor about a few OSU kids flipping. Including CJ Hicks, if memory serves -- which probably explains why those two are very salty toward one another. I think it was Talley who also claimed that OSU WR commit Caleb Burton was flipping to Oregon. In that case, I don't think Oregon was even remotely involved, so that one generated some scratching of the head.
OR maybe he heard that info and believed it. We don't know exactly what recruits are saying at camps and on snapchat. Maybe Talley spoke before Hicks was ready and Hicks really was thinking about flipping? We just don't know. Either way, these guys already are coming after each other and they haven't even suited up or enrolled.

Thanks for putting this together. I think there are a few commits with positional flexibility. So I'm not sure that we are down to exactly this # at this position. I'm thinking they have worked themselves into a little bit of best available with some of the remaining spots.

Now I don't think we're taking a 3rd QB but the high number of WRs commits and prospects will likely cover at less 1 or 2 of the lesser number of defensive backs in the funnel. I also feel like some of the DEs could be LBs. And they aren't going to turn down DDS or that level of talent regardless of numbers.
There is some position flexibility. But Flowers and Driver are not likely playing CB.

And when Wylie and Saka were on campus there was talk that they might play DE or LB. But Wylie's H.S. coach's comments, together with his size and comments lead me to believe he is pretty much a LB all the way. Talley was also a while back thought to be a tweener, but he is thick and getting bigger and looks to be strictly a DE. Fearbry looks like a DE all the way, in spite of some comment that his athleticism would do well at LB as well.

For me, right now the position needs (another RB, another DE, getting at least a couple cover DB's in the class) together with the current commits and the players that Franklin and his staff continue to actively pursue add up to over 25 recruits in this class.....

If Clemmons and DDS doesn't commit to the good guys then I don't think they will replace their spot(s) which gets you down to 25. In addition, not sure if they take 2 ol's since they have a bunch of highly rated lineman in the 2023 class that are high on psu.

OR maybe he heard that info and believed it. We don't know exactly what recruits are saying at camps and on snapchat. Maybe Talley spoke before Hicks was ready and Hicks really was thinking about flipping? We just don't know. Either way, these guys already are coming after each other and they haven't even suited up or enrolled.
There was never any chance CJ Hicks was flipping to anybody. That guy has been OSU's Ken Talley from day 1 -- recruiting for OSU as much as the coaches.

Talley is a provocateur. As I said.....just as long as he's willing to take as well as he gives it, it's all good. Clearly he doesn't fear OSU, which is a good thing. Though if you're going to play mind games, best ensure it serves to distract rather than motivate them.

Great job by the staff! I have been very hard on the in state list and penn state missing out. If you look at the top 10 list on 247 almost all of them are PSU. That’s what I am talking about. Great, great job!!!!

Reactions: indynittany
The Big Ten caps them at 28 even though they can back count 8/9 EE to 2021 (depending on White). I said this last year and I don't think you believed me but it is all dependent on who wants to say yes. I don't think we'll have that problem, because it is a good problem to have and how often do you get that lucky. Name the last year we didn't have at least one decommit, I mean I guess we had Stayes this year, but would be an excellent turn of events to not lose anyone.

They should really leave room in that 28 limit for transfers but they could always blueshirt a transfer into 2023 by not 'recruiting' them. The 85 roster limit will just work itself out, always does.

Reactions: Sullivan

I know that..
But what in his recent thread is it false or is it true? ...it seems like a meaningless opinion like 80% of what is posted here...

Don't know if Andre Roye is a take on the OL, but I do know that word on the street is that Aamil Wagner is very much NOT in the bag for OSU and seems to be interested in ND/UK but could be a realistic option.

not sure if they take 2 ol's
Listen to the Lions247 Podcast from July 3rd.

"Ya know how we talk about not taking Junior College numbers in account, so that number might 6 if they find the right guy." (corrected on July 6th if the go WR instead)

"you see the emergence of Andre Roye who was really was an afterthought when they offered him." "then he comes out and looks really good in the spring and moves up the board"

"At times moving on from some players that you think alright this guys is a no brainer take"

"Everyone saw Gunner Givens early in the process as a 5* can't miss, now all of a sudden, he's down to Virginia Tech and Penn State, and you know, there's even questions, you know, was he a take the whole time?"

All of those quotes are in reference to Trautwein sticking to his evaluations and ignoring rankings.

PSA: Everyone should listen to this podcast. Fitz drops a ton of nuggets in these that are in direct opposition of some of the things suggested on this board.

Another favorite from July 3rd:
"Shawn Murphy, we expected to visit in June, that never happened. I don't really see Penn State as a heavy player there."

From July 6th:
"Keenan Nelson, we have the crystal ball in, but that one bouncing around a little bit"

"OL numbers could still use a couple of guys in there." "I talked on the last episode about going 5 maybe 6, that might a casualty of taking more guys at a spot like receiver"

Last edited:

"Ya know how we talk about not taking Junior College numbers in account, so that number might 6 if they find the right guy." (corrected on July 6th if the go WR instead)

"you see the emergence of Andre Roye who was really was an afterthought when they offered him." "then he comes out and looks really good in the spring and moves up the board"

"At times moving on from some players that you think alright this guys is a no brainer take"

"Everyone saw Gunner Givens early in the process as a 5* can't miss, now all of a sudden, he's down to Virginia Tech and Penn State, and you know, there's even questions, you know, was he a take the whole time?"

All of those quotes are in reference to Trautwein sticking to his evaluations and ignoring rankings.

PSA: Everyone should listen to this podcast. Fitz drops a ton of nuggets in these that are in direct opposition of some of the things suggested on this board.

"Shawn Murphy, we expected to visit in June, that never happened. I don't really see Penn State as a heavy player there."

From July 6th:
"Keenan Nelson, we have the crystal ball in, but that one bouncing around a little bit"

"OL numbers could still use a couple of guys in there." "I talked on the last episode about going 5 maybe 6, that might a casualty of taking more guys at a spot like receiver"

Good post!

I would like for us to land Nelson.

From July 6th:

Why is Nelson 'bouncing around'?

Anybody???

Got to love (hate) Adam Friedman!

After missing on the top nine players in the state last year, including players like five-star legacy prospect Nolan Rucci, and Rivals100 players Kyle McCord, Marvin Harrison Jr., Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Elliot Donald, and Derrick Davis, James Franklin and his staff are turning it around.

Just had to throw in a healthy dose of negativity when talking about Singleton.

Is it really a 'miss' if we were not interested in them or they interested in us?

Just because they live in Pa. does not mean we missed on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13

After missing on the top nine players in the state last year, including players like five-star legacy prospect Nolan Rucci, and Rivals100 players Kyle McCord, Marvin Harrison Jr., Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Elliot Donald, and Derrick Davis, James Franklin and his staff are turning it around.

Is it really a 'miss' if we were not interested in them or they interested in us?

I beg to differ glov. When your coach comes into the school with his cute little "doninate the state" mantra he better get the tops in the state. If he doesn't in a given year, fair game for reports to keep score how he is doing. This really is part of the story, Franklin didn't recruit particularly well last year, in state or out of state, but they are doing a wonderful job this year. No better example of that then getting singleton, a top player, in the state coming to PSU. Promises made, promises kept.

The only that you can't even argue is Trotter. We didn't offer.

Rucci: True miss, but it was due to his brother
McCord: Didn't like the offense and how many times we crashed Trace into the LOS
Harrison: was never a good fit for the program, but we did offer and he did visit
Donald: Miss I guess, but his uncle is a huge donor and the only recent great player theyve produced
Davis: $$$

It is what it is. You have to try to overcome those things, but I get all of the reasons. Add in the perfect storm of not being able to get any of them on campus for officials and poof...disaster class for PA. The one top 10 we got in PA isn't even going to play football. The other PA kid already quit football.

Honestly though, PA misses werent even the worst of the cycle. Evan Pryor, Kaden Prather, Diego Pounds, and Kelvin Gilliam are all by far worse then any of the PA ones. We straight up got beat where we shouldn't.

Last edited:
I beg to differ glov. When your coach comes into the school with his cute little "doninate the state" mantra he better get the tops in the state. If he doesn't in a given year, fair game for reports to keep score how he is doing. This really is part of the story, Franklin didn't recruit particularly well last year, in state or out of state, but they are doing a wonderful job this year. No better example of that then getting singleton, a top player, in the state coming to PSU. Promises made, promises kept.
I'd rather define "Dominate the State" as a goal. Coaches like others set goals. Like people in every walk of life, sometimes we achieve and sometimes we don't.
If folks wish to dwell on those who go elsewhere, that's their prerogative.
Looking at some "misses" of recent classes.....Rucci...he was never coming to PSU. HIs mother revealed as much. In fact she complimented CJF for doing everything possible and recruiting her boy properly. Now the young man wanted to play with his brother. Some here would have been happy to accept a 3 star TE and hope that it translated into his little brother down the road. That's a fools philosophy. So you are weaker at tight end and perhaps better at OT? LOL What if the brother sits and enters the portal down the road? Come on folks.
As for our prodigal son Julian Fleming.....He was running with the 3rd team this spring.
The explanation was that he has been dealing with a severe shoulder injury since high school. I'm gonna assume that is the issue. But I would ask why OSU medical staff would not have taken the pause last year to fix it?
Fleming comes with some ? marks with me. His age and the fact that he played at Southern (my Alma Mater....where I happened to be on the squad with Grandpa Mick) . He is an incredible athlete who just overwhelmed the competition. Will he be diligent and learn his craft now that the athletic talent is about equal? Time will tell.
But his dissertation regarding his choice (with Shorter and his father) in his ear, rings hollow to date. I think he is a much better athlete than Shorter, but remember, he too was rated a 5 star.
Finally, while the above examples would not apply, we don't know, who the recruits are at the top of the coaches board (you can choose to believe the services) and why. While I can acknowledge that last years class could be deemed a disappointment, that happens when one competes. Simply wins and losses.
As for "Dominate the State," I'm all for getting the highest rated (by the coaches not the pay for play services) with no regard where they reside.

To me it should be just get good players ..don't care at all where they come from....
Don't see Bama...Clemson... OSU saying we have to set our sites to predominantly in state recruits or in region recruits... hoping Driver gets on board.

Did anyone here feel badly that Keyvone stepped up to the plate at tailback because he wasn't from in state...or when Kijana did it or any of the many others over the years. Certainly, not me!

Last edited:
To me it should be just get good players ..don't care at all where they come from....
Don't see Bama...Clemson... OSU saying we have to set our sites to predominantly in state recruits or in region recruits... hoping Driver gets on board.

Did anyone here feel badly that Keyvone stepped up to the plate at tailback because he wasn't from in state...or when Kijana did it or any of the many over the years. Certainly, not me!
But Franklin said it!!!!!! (stomping my feet).

But Franklin said it!!!!!! (stomping my feet).
I don’t know if this is obvious to everyone here or it’s just willful ignorance, but Franklin said that because we were getting our clock cleaned on in state talent for years with notable huge losses to O$U and ND. I think we always want the best in state guys if they are good fits. So yeah Franklin had a bad 2020. So did a lot of people. I hope he gets back to getting the best guys who want to come here in 22 and beyond

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT