ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Pickel's analysis of the remaining opening for the 2022 class and who he believes are the favorites to get into the class. Yep, he seems focused on a 25 player class in order to leave room for incoming transfers. And his "best-case scenario" does not include another Olinemen, which I believe is not accurate. With the recent CB transfers that have eligibility as well as how King performed this Spring, I could see the staff only taking 1 true CB in the class in order to take at least another OT, DDS, Allen, a WR, Driver, a LB, a DB that can play CB or Safety......

The over/under for the class seems to be at least 26 at this point........

Reactions: TheGLOV
Pickel's analysis of the remaining opening for the 2022 class and who he believes are the favorites to get into the class. Yep, he seems focused on a 25 player class in order to leave room for incoming transfers. And his "best-case scenario" does not include another Olinemen, which I believe is not accurate. With the recent CB transfers that have eligibility as well as how King performed this Spring, I could see the staff only taking 1 true CB in the class in order to take at least another OT, DDS, Allen, a WR, Driver, a LB, a DB that can play CB or Safety......

The over/under for the class seems to be at least 26 at this point........

I also believe that Pickel’s analysis is somewhat flawed. We should be able to slightly exceed 26 ( yeah I’m aware of the 25/85, back fill, front fill ring around the rosey games they play ) if the staff feels their quality additions. While Pickel mentioned saving some spots for grabbing a player or two from the portal, what he didn’t mention is that the portal works both ways. We’ll probably lose some guys. So fill up with quality, because Franklin always seems to get to 85 or below at the required time. For 6 million I would certainly hope that’s the case.

I also believe that Pickel’s analysis is somewhat flawed. We should be able to slightly exceed 26 ( yeah I’m aware of the 25/85, back fill, front fill ring around the rosey games they play ) if the staff feels their quality additions. While Pickel mentioned saving some spots for grabbing a player or two from the portal, what he didn’t mention is that the portal works both ways. We’ll probably lose some guys. So fill up with quality, because Franklin always seems to get to 85 or below at the required time. For 6 million I would certainly hope that’s the case.
Another consideration is if "portal" additions count against the 25 player per year limit, which I believe someone here a while back said they do. If they do then it is more efficient to take more high school players and only take transfers to fill big holes on the roster.

It would not surprise me to see a few incoming portal players next Winter, and who knows we may see 1 this summer yet. But some of the players brought in this past off season were due to the obvious lack of depth at certain positions on the roster. And it seems that the roster will be more mature and more balanced after this coming season than it was after the 2020 season, particularly at DE, DT, and CB. But there are always surprises, which makes it fun for a PSU football fan to follow CJF's roster management......

Last edited:
I know it’s the new norm however the portal has taken a lot of the fun out of recruiting for me. I still follow and want PSU to get the best of the best but now when someone announces there is this voice that whispers….yeah I wonder how long this one will stay.

KA sure looks ready to go.

Many of us here would love to see a 1994 talent level OL so that the stud RB's that will be lining up for PSU the next few years could use to just pound it at oh-high-ya, UM and Wisky to run out the clock in a close game or drive for the winning TD........ :oops:

Last edited:
KA sure looks ready to go.

Many of us here would love to see a 1994 talent level OL so that the stud RB's that will be lining up for PSU the next few years could just pound it at oh-high-ya, UM and Wisky to run out the clock in a close game or drive for the winning TD........ :oops:
Agree.

If you saw the rewind of the '82 PSU-PITT game that was posted a few days ago (PSU ranked #2 and PITT #5), you were once again reminded of the value of being able to run the ball at the end of the game. PITT kicked a field goal with a little over 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter to narrow the score to PSU 16-PITT 10. After the kick, PSU reeled off multiple first downs, all on the ground. The drive eventually stalled at about the PITT 12 yard line with 52 seconds left to go in the game. PSU converted on the short field goal attempt to put the game out of reach, PSU 19-PITT 10. Inexplicately, PITT only used one of their three timeouts during the drive, failing to preserve more clock time for their offense. In fact, when the clocked finally clicked zero, they still had one timeout left in their pocket. Only one of numerous head scratching decisions made by their headcoach in the second half.

Can not overestimate the value of a ground and pound running game, even in this era of high powered passing offenses.

Today I asked my friend at work, who knows DDS, about where he was headed and I was told that they have no clue where he's going. He's super quiet and isn't talking.

Agree.

If you saw the rewind of the '82 PSU-PITT game that was posted a few days ago (PSU ranked #2 and PITT #5), you were once again reminded of the value of being able to run the ball at the end of the game. PITT kicked a field goal with a little over 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter to narrow the score to PSU 16-PITT 10. After the kick, PSU reeled off multiple first downs, all on the ground. The drive eventually stalled at about the PITT 12 yard line with 52 seconds left to go in the game. PSU converted on the short field goal attempt to put the game out of reach, PSU 19-PITT 10. Inexplicately, PITT only used one of their three timeouts during the drive, failing to preserve more clock time for their offense. In fact, when the clocked finally clicked zero, they still had one timeout left in their pocket. Only one of numerous head scratching decisions made by their headcoach in the second half.

Can not overestimate the value of a ground and pound running game, even in this era of high powered passing offenses.
Completely agree. A good running game with a powerful O-line will never go out of style or not be valuable.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Ceasar
The CBs for Keenan Nelson to South Carolina have been rolling in today. The CB/Safety class at Penn State will probably fill up over the next couple of weeks. Although I am skeptical of Jordan Allen’s potential commitment since he has not visited Penn State and he is located in the Deep South in Louisiana.

When you look at the roster, with TCF in his last year, Ellis, Porter, and Dixon being Juniors, it would seem that this class surely needs 2 pure CB's. Maybe Davis showed up and is wooing the staff during summer workouts. Also Wheatly is now listed at GOPSUSPORTS as a CB. The incoming transfer Lytton (3 years of eligibility ?)is not yet listed on the roster.

But it seems that there is no room for Keenan Nelson?

Gotta be a story here......

He is pretty big for a college CB. Maybe he's more of a Safety prospect.

Last edited:
When you look at the roster, with TCF in his last year, Ellis, Porter, and Dixon being Juniors, it would seem that this class surely needs 2 pure CB's. Maybe Davis showed up and is wooing the staff during summer workouts. Also Wheatly is now listed at GOPSUSPORTS as a CB.

I have wondered the same thing.....seems a month ago he was a PSU lock and then bam....he gone.

Is it well established that the staff is not pushing for Nelson? And if so does anyone know why?

If you read the posts above they imply that Nelson's stock took a hit this Summer due to his performance at camps. And that the staff now has higher priority targets at CB, which it seems appear ready to decide (i.e. commit to PSU), so that the staff has backed off of their recruitment of the CB Nelson....... Maybe the staff already knows that they have 2 CB's committed (or 1 if that's all they now want in this class) ahead of those players announcing and has told Nelson that there isn't a scholarship for him at PSU, hence the CB's for Nelson to SC........

Last edited:
When you look at the roster, with TCF in his last year, Ellis, Porter, and Dixon being Juniors, it would seem that this class surely needs 2 pure CB's. Maybe Davis showed up and is wooing the staff during summer workouts. Also Wheatly is now listed at GOPSUSPORTS as a CB.

Oh I’m positive there’s several stories.
1. After a more complete evaluation and review the staff liked some other prospects better. That we’ll hear, and it may be true.
2. The SEC bagmen in Columbia made him a great offer. That we’ll hear, and it may be true.
3. The kid realistically evaluated all his options and decided USC (south) was a better opportunity for him. That may be true, but we certainly won’t hear that in this thread.

****** I’m positive that the staff makes excellent decisions, and in this case I believe number 1. above. But what frosts my cookies is some posters inability to accept that kids can choose other schools without being terminally stupid or bought off. •••••••

If you read the posts above they imply that Nelson's stock took a hit this Summer due to his performance at camps. And that the staff now has higher priority targets at CB, which it seems appear ready to decide (i.e. commit to PSU), so that the staff has backed off of their recruitment of the CB Nelson....... Maybe the staff already knows that they have 2 CB's committed ahead of those 2 players announcing and has told Nelson that there isn't a scholarship for him at PSU, hence the CB's for Nelson to SC........
Thx... I guess we trust the staff on this one, but the young man is rated awfully high to be getting the brush off. Trending to USC and not a top 20 program would indicate the staff views things correctly

Reactions: grinagrin
Thx... I guess we trust the staff on this one, but the young man is rated awfully high to be getting the brush off. Trending to USC and not a top 20 program would indicate the staff views things correctly
Yep, without camps over the last 1.5 years the "expert" evaluations and player ratings/rankings for the class of 2022 are likely at an all time level of inaccuracy. So this year compared to past years, I would rather the staff get their top picks rather than the "expert's" top picks, even though those rankings many times match up pretty well.....

Some here seem to believe that Nelson just wanted to go somewhere else. But from the story of his recruitment that has been public, that does not seem to be the case.

Just have to wish young Mr. Nelson the best, and believe in the staff to bring in the players they believe will help them win football games.

Last edited:
Is it well established that the staff is not pushing for Nelson? And if so does anyone know why?
There appear to be some concerns - from a few schools - about his athleticism at corner, those concerns showed up at camps this summer, and he hasn’t tested for anyone to prove those concerns wrong. South Carolina is trying to plant a flag in the north with a new staff, and taking a few kids that other schools aren’t pushing for. Take the rankings with a grain of salt when kids spent a year not testing and camping for anyone.

There appear to be some concerns - from a few schools - about his athleticism at corner, those concerns showed up at camps this summer, and he hasn’t tested for anyone to prove those concerns wrong. South Carolina is trying to plant a flag in the north with a new staff, and taking a few kids that other schools aren’t pushing for. Take the rankings with a grain of salt when kids spent a year not testing and camping for anyone.

Very good post sir.

Very good!

Reactions: grinagrin
All of what I am reading makes perfect sense. I guess I just ask the question:

How does a guy get a .9463 rating and then all of a sudden stinks? I would like to see one of the "experts" write something like: "Boy, did we mess up on this one. Kid had it all and then after covid seemed to have lost everything and now is probably a marginal prospect at best" Heck, even Rafi from the league gave a "my bad guys" every so often.

How does a guy get a .9463 rating and then all of a sudden stinks? I would like to see one of the "experts" write something like: "Boy, did we mess up on this one. Kid had it all and then after covid seemed to have lost everything and now is probably a marginal prospect at best" Heck, even Rafi from the league gave a "my bad guys" every so often.
I don’t think it’s really a bad evaluation as much as it’s a situation where he might have genuinely been the #120 or whatever overall prospect when he was ending his sophomore year...but in the year-long pause that resulted in basically no rankings updates or opportunities to look at kids in person, a few other prospects caught up to him. Nobody’s saying that he stinks.

Happens all the time.

Many kids mature very quickly, but other peers catch up to them as time goes on. Alternatively, it's possible that COVID threw Nelson for a loop and he's been out of shape during recent camps. That seemed to be the case with Shawn Murphy who plummeted, although he's starting to rebound a bit.

Rankings are definitely an inexact science, and at best capture a kid's potential at a given moment in time.

I think after evaluating him they see him as a safety and they like Winston better as a S.

And with Flowers committed and possibly Driver they have a couple players that could make excellent Safety's if they don't play WR so they may only need/want 1 other true Safety in addition to the JC player committed........

Last edited:
Happens all the time.

Many kids mature very quickly, but other peers catch up to them as time goes on. Alternatively, it's possible that COVID threw Nelson for a loop and he's been out of shape during recent camps. That seemed to be the case with Shawn Murphy who plummeted, although he's starting to rebound a bit.

Rankings are definitely an inexact science, and at best capture a kid's potential at a given moment in time.
Understood and agree, my point is probably anti-media driven.....not one of them ever says, oh boy we missed that one.

Kaytron Allen coming in as the #10 RB in the country for the 2021 HS season, per Max Preps. #7 among 2021 RBs. A very different hierarchy than some of the other sites (some of the usual players, but guys like Braylin Presley so high are new).

Ryan Snyder FC'ed him to Rutgers just a few minutes ago.

His has been an unusual recruitment. Only one official visit taken so far, although he's visited Rutgers several times unofficially. Don't know if his offers from LSU, Texas A&M, etc. are commitable, or if he's just one of those kids who wants to stay as close to home as possible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT