ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 B1G Tournament

So is there just a 30 minute break after the upcoming 285 matches or do they roll right into more consys? Track doesn't have anything listed yet.
I'd assume with the TV broadcast starting at 730 there would be a break. Thats just an assumption though.

Reactions: sneedram55
The list of kids wrestling in this round alongside our young guys used to be a Who's Who of wrestling. I'm watching Amos/Hoffman square of in the first round of consis. Earlier had Lamont/Teske. Gomez (albeit not at his best) was in this round. What I'm getting at is this tournament is no joke! Probably the hardest domestic tournament we have, and our guys are picking up wins and people are complaining that they didn't win by enough or entertain them enough... survive and advance. And spoiler alert, I betcha a large trophy will end up on the flight back to Happy Valley regardless if they entertained us enough or not.
Since this is a discussion forum, that is more of a constructive criticism and a discussion point than a complaint. If he’s going to get to the next level in the sport, he needs more offense. With that said, he’s doing great for a freshman in a ridiculously hard tournament. I’m not disappointed.

I know I'm so happy he won. But I love watching good exciting wrestling. There wasn't much exciting about that match. Maybe the Ughhhh was because it was a boring match.
He’s a freshman you guys. I’m pretty sure he will continue to get better. Having only 3 losses on the year up to this point while wrestling a Big 10 schedule is quite impressive. I know we all wish these guys scored like Nolf and Nickal but that’s not reality. Those are generational talents. I feel like Alex will win a national title in his time here but he will never bonus like some of our past greats. You can give criticism about his lack of offense but also realize just how good this kid is as a redshirt freshman. We are beyond spoiled as a fan base

Down 8 points to Iowa.
Their upcoming matchups
Spencer vs McKee in semis
Teske vs Cannon in consolation quarter
Woods vs Tal-Shahar in semis
Murin vs Sasso in semis
Siebrecht vs Chumbley in consolation quarter
Brands vs Washington in consolation quarter
Assad vs Soldano in consolation quarter
Warner vs Dean in semis
Cassioppi vs Kerkvliet in semis

Brace yourselves, it'll remain close, other than Teske and Murin, I like their matchups. Murin has been close with Sasso forever also.

5 Van Ness has 9 Lamer next. Win that and he then has the loser of 6 Blockhaus and 7 Rooks. Win that, and he’s in the consolation final.

4 Facundo has 10 Wilson. Win that and he has the loser of 2 Amine and 3 Kennedy. (We’ll see how many more matches Amine wrestles now that he has qualified for NCAAs.). Win that and Facundo is in the consolation final.

A loss in their next match puts them in the 7/8 bout. A win then a loss puts them in the 5/6 bout.

I think Teske, Murin, Warner, and Cass lose with Assad and Siebrecht possibly losing as well. Spencer and Woods win big but all their other matches should be tight

5 Van Ness has 9 Lamer next. Win that and he then has the loser of 6 Blockhaus and 7 Rooks. Win that, and he’s in the consolation final.

4 Facundo has 10 Wilson. Win that and he has the loser of 2 Amine and 3 Kennedy. (We’ll see how many more matches Amine wrestles now that he has qualified for NCAAs.). Win that and Facundo is in the consolation final.

A loss in their next match puts them in the 7/8 bout. A win then a loss puts them in the 5/6 bout.
Wilson and Amine are both injured to some degree.

• Sad
Reactions: mcpat
Sorry if already discussed........do they have the annoying soccer game horns at the Big 10s? It sounds like it on Byer's feed.

149: 5 SVN vs 9 Lamer

Flo controlling the board which still shows prior bout. Nothing thru a minute and then Shayne throws him for 6 points. 6-0 I mean. Riding now. Warning on Lamer. Shayne gets a little sloppy trying to tilt and Lamer escapes. 6-1 after one. 1:29 RT.

Lamer on bottom. Escape after 30 secs. 6-2. 1:57 RT. Single and quick finish. 8-2. Lets him up. Nice upper body setup to a quick finishing double. 10-3. 2:49 RT after two.

Shayne on bottom. 5 secs escape. 11-3. Gets behind, kicks out the leg and brings him to the mat. That was sweet. 13-3. Escape and blood time. Or is it inj time? It’s 13-4 with 2:51 RT. 1:11 to go. They stop the match? Default win for Shayne? What did I miss while typing?

Last edited:
Reactions: RealMicah
I have never figured out the complexity of shortening football and baseball games. It used to take less than 3 hours to play an NFL game, then they double the amount of commercials time and could not figure out why it then took longer. So they wrote rules to reduce the number of plays and shortened the time to play a game. Then then started adding more commercials.

Baseball, same thing. It used to be hustle in hustle out. 90 seconds, 3 commercials. Then they started adding commercials to the time between innings. Now we have about 5 minutes between innings for commercials, so we have to speed up play. As soon as they get enough time shaved off the average game time we will go to 6 then 7 minutes between innings and have the same conversation.
Perhaps the stated objective isn't the real objective. 🤷‍♂️

165: 4 Facundo vs 10 Wilson

Wilson takes first shot at 1:30 but Alex stuffs it easily. Alex shoots from distance but Wilson’s sprawl stops it. Stalemate. 0:35 to go in first. 0-0 after one.

Facundo starts on bottom. Out in 8 secs. 1-0 Alex. Not a lot of action from their feet again. Alex shoots but sprawl stops it. Alex in again but stalemated. 1-0 Alex after two.

Wilson starts 3rd on bottom. Out in 5 secs. It’s 1-1 in 3rd. Wilson clean shot and finishes. Wilson leads 3-1. Facundo out 15 secs later. It’s 3-2 with a little over a minute left. Facundo shoots from distance again and stopped by a sprawl again, 30 secs now. Alex has to get moving. He shoots. Scramble. Loses 3-2.

• Sad
Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT