ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Bracket Release Thread

SVN the 12 seed
This happened two days ago and has been discussed pretty thoroughly already...

I think SVN can beat Paniro if he can somehow get Paniro into multiple exchanges. He needs to get to legs and not let Paniro wait around for a reattack.

149 clears out a bit next year. Yianni, Millner, Yahya and Murin are all done after this tournament. That leaves Sasso and Gomez as clear favorites next year, but, for his sake, I hope Sasso goes up to 157. Iowa fans seem to think that Chittum is going to be a 149 but given that he's wrestled at 70 + 2kg (158.4) for single day events recently, I really, really doubt that is going to be the case.

Last edited:

I think SVN can beat Paniro if he can somehow get Paniro into multiple exchanges. He needs to get to legs and not let Paniro wait around for a reattack.

149 clears out a bit next year. Yianni, Millner, Yahya and Murin are all done after this tournament. That leaves Sasso and Gomez as clear favorites next year, but, for his sake, I hope Sasso goes up to 157. Iowa fans seem to think that Chittum is going to be a 149 but given that he's wrestled at 70 + 2kg (158.4) for single day events recently, I really, really doubt that is going to be the case.
A Chittum vs Cobe roster battle could be interesting. Chittum is tough and wrestles a hard high pace. He will be good. Iowa definitely needs to find a way to have both those guys in the lineup though and if Chittum can’t make 149 I’m not sure how that happens

HEY! Cut him some slack he only became a fan in 2011, so it should not come to a surprise that he was late to the updated seeds.

Lovett returns next year too.

Back in my day we carried the mats..
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
And at the end of the tourney, the kids rolled the tape into "tape footballs" and threw them around.

Reactions: danoftw
If he loses to Yianni in the semifinals wouldn't he wrestle the loser of Yaya/Mauller in his first consi match assuming chalk in the consi bracket?
No, a semifinal loser wrestles the winner (not a loser) of a consy match for the right to get to the 3rd place match.

A Chittum vs Cobe roster battle could be interesting. Chittum is tough and wrestles a hard high pace. He will be good. Iowa definitely needs to find a way to have both those guys in the lineup though and if Chittum can’t make 149 I’m not sure how that happens
I like Siebrecht (as much as I can like a Hawkeye, LOL), but he is not an elite talent like Chittum. He's a tough wrestler who is fun to watch and will win a majority of the time but not someone who they "need" to have in the lineup if the goal is to win NCAAs. If Chittum is 157, I think he should be able to win the spot. The issue for Iowa is that 149 then becomes a big hole in their lineup. the "next man up" guys on their roster appear to be Joel Jesuroga and Cade Siebrecht, the two "lesser brothers". What is the word on Jesuroga? I know Nate was supposed to be a big time recruit who chose the Navy Seals over wrestling, but is the other Jesuroga viewed as a legitimate contributor or not?

I like Siebrecht (as much as I can like a Hawkeye, LOL), but he is not an elite talent like Chittum. He's a tough wrestler who is fun to watch and will win a majority of the time but not someone who they "need" to have in the lineup if the goal is to win NCAAs. If Chittum is 157, I think he should be able to win the spot. The issue for Iowa is that 149 then becomes a big hole in their lineup. the "next man up" guys on their roster appear to be Joel Jesuroga and Cade Siebrecht, the two "lesser brothers". What is the word on Jesuroga? I know Nate was supposed to be a big time recruit who chose the Navy Seals over wrestling, but is the other Jesuroga viewed as a legitimate contributor or not?
Depends on whether you HR or someone who knows wrestling.

Predictions from the most diehard knowledgeable IOWA WRESTLING fan.

Lee- pins his way to his 4th national championship, wins the Hodge again and then there’s a 20 minute ceremony anointing him as the GOAT. Everyone knows that 92-5 (including getting pinned) is far superior than 159-0 or 181-1. If you disagree with this fact then you know nothing about wrestling.
Teske- will definitely AA. One year in the IOWA room is worth 10 years at northern iowa. His familiarity with RB USELESS should favor him to win this time around. AA
Woods- TWOOOOOO NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Glad to see a “career” Iowa wrestler finally get what he deserves. A better Woods than even Tiger.
Murin- Max finally AA’s. His wrestling skills remind me of all the other great home grown Iowa wrestlers like Kemerer, ADS, Young and Spencer Lee.
Siebrecht- has a tough road ahead but if the refs help him like they do Haines from F*** State, he should be AAing.
Kennedy- no other wrestler had a better mentor to learn from than Kennedy. He will follow in the lengendary Bull’s successful runs in the NCAA Tournament. Definitely a favorite to win like Marinelli was.
Brands- has been blowing out the competition all year with 1 and 2 point thrashings. His only competition will be Stallrocci. Stallrocci’s only chance is challenging Brands to a dance off. But we all saw that Brands proved he was a better dancer at the nearly empty seated Bryce Jordan match earlier this year.
Assad- by far the best 4-9 wrestler in the tournament. Assad’s dynamic offensive skill set is legendary. Nobody coaches the heavier weights like the Brands brothers.
Warner- proof that the regular season means nothing. Warnerov brings his A game to nationals. The lowest he will finish is 3rd and that’s if the refs screw him like they did on his other 6 losses this year.
Cassioppi- gains some weight and turns back into BIG CASS for the tournament. He rolls his way to the finals and continues his absolute ownership of baby Kerk.

IOWA should easily win the NC this year but all the money bribes from F*** State may give one or two matchups to Pedo U. If that happens IOWA still wins because all psu teams will be deducted 25 points for their active role in the Sandusky era.
After the latest NC, all 6 members of the Ferrari clan will commit to Iowa and we will have another 10 years of dominance like the previous 10 years. This prediction was approved by all IOWA wrestling fans who are the most knowledgeable and truly unbiased fans in the world.

Caleb Rathjen wrestled half his matches at 149 this year and half at 157. He beat Anthony Echemendia 4-3 and lost to Murin 7-4 at the Soldier Salute. Also, he wrestled well against Kendall Coleman of Purdue at 157 in the dual. Lost 3-2. Also lost 4-2 to Jason Kraisser of Iowa St at 157. Seems he could challenge for 149 or 157 depending on where Chittum slots in. Not saying he’s a sure fire AA but he’s got some skills. I think 133 and 197 are the bigger concerns for Iowa.

Caleb Rathjen wrestled half his matches at 149 this year and half at 157. He beat Anthony Echemendia 4-3 and lost to Murin 7-4 at the Soldier Salute. Also, he wrestled well against Kendall Coleman of Purdue at 157 in the dual. Lost 3-2. Also lost 4-2 to Jason Kraisser of Iowa St at 157. Seems he could challenge for 149 or 157 depending on where Chittum slots in. Not saying he’s a sure fire AA but he’s got some skills. I think 133 and 197 are the bigger concerns for Iowa.
Yeah, it sounds like him at 149 and Chittum at 157 is probably close to Chittum at 149 and Siebrecht at 157 in terms of nationals scoring potential. Chittum is the guy who you need to be challenging for an AA spot somewhere, wherever it is.

Yeah, it sounds like him at 149 and Chittum at 157 is probably close to Chittum at 149 and Siebrecht at 157 in terms of nationals scoring potential. Chittum is the guy who you need to be challenging for an AA spot somewhere, wherever it is.
Chittum will go at whatever weight suits him best. Then you fill in the other weight the best you can. My guess is

125 Ayala
133 Teske (hoping for a transfer)
141 Woods
149 Rathjen
157 Chittum
165 Kennedy
174 Brands (or Arnold)
184 Assad
197 Franklin or Glazier (hoping for another transfer)
285 Cass

Chittum will go at whatever weight suits him best. Then you fill in the other weight the best you can. My guess is

125 Ayala
133 Teske (hoping for a transfer)
141 Woods
149 Rathjen
157 Chittum
165 Kennedy
174 Brands (or Arnold)
184 Assad
197 Franklin or Glazier (hoping for another transfer)
285 Cass
Agree on Chittum dictating. I'm curious why you seem to be high on Rathjen? I have a hard time seeing him as a better option than Siebrecht at either weight.

Reactions: zzs006
Agree on Chittum dictating. I'm curious why you seem to be high on Rathjen? I have a hard time seeing him as a better option than Siebrecht at either weight.
I don’t think Siebrecht can make the cut to 149. If Chittum goes 149 then I would have Cobe Siebrecht starting at 157.

I don’t think Siebrecht can make the cut to 149. If Chittum goes 149 then I would have Cobe Siebrecht starting at 157.
Did you see something that indicated that? I don't think he looks big at 157 and was only up because he can't beat Murin.

Did you see something that indicated that? I don't think he looks big at 157 and was only up because he can't beat Murin.
I’m probably bad at guessing how much a guy is cutting or not. He is 5’10” per the Iowa roster online but they do list him as a 149 or 157. Do you think he would be just as good or better at 149?

Looks like Echemendia's only losses on the season were to Rathjen and Cam Robinson, who came from Council Rock North where my kids go to school. Unfortunately, it looks like Cam is permanently blocked at ISU by Swiderski and Paniro, though.

He looked every bit as big as Haines, who is purportedly not long for 157.

That said, I'm not necessarily convinced that Haines is big for the weight. Plenty of true freshman carry some baby fat on them when they get to a college program and with the help of S&C/dietary improvements are able to lose some of that without losing strength.

He looked every bit as big as Haines, who is purportedly not long for 157.

That said, I'm not necessarily convinced that Haines is big for the weight. Plenty of true freshman carry some baby fat on them when they get to a college program and with the help of S&C/dietary improvements are able to lose some of that without losing strength.
Yeah, to be honest, both Siebrecht and Haines look on the smaller side of the 157, but what do I know? Maybe they are expecting Haines to grow some since he's still only 18.

So, is Joel Jesuroga not in the plans at all for you guys? I'm just curious because I know his brother was a big deal, but I haven't heard as much about him.

Stealing this from a post last week. The Brands made a high school kid hate wrestling before he even arrived.

Reactions: ccdiver
Stealing this from a post last week. The Brands made a high school kid hate wrestling before he even arrived.
Yeah, that's funny as a jab at Iowa/TnT, although I doubt there's much truth in it. People who want to be Navy Seals usually have a higher calling to do so.

So, is Joel Jesuroga not in the plans at all for you guys? I'm just curious because I know his brother was a big deal, but I haven't heard as much about him.

Joel is a grinder and I'm sure an excellent training partner/teammate. But I doubt that he will see more than spot starts for Iowa unless things go very wrong(injury, lack of development, etc).

Reactions: Random4598375

Lee- pins his way to his 4th national championship, wins the Hodge again and then there’s a 20 minute ceremony anointing him as the GOAT. Everyone knows that 92-5 (including getting pinned) is far superior than 159-0 or 181-1. If you disagree with this fact then you know nothing about wrestling.
Teske- will definitely AA. One year in the IOWA room is worth 10 years at northern iowa. His familiarity with RB USELESS should favor him to win this time around. AA
Woods- TWOOOOOO NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Glad to see a “career” Iowa wrestler finally get what he deserves. A better Woods than even Tiger.
Murin- Max finally AA’s. His wrestling skills remind me of all the other great home grown Iowa wrestlers like Kemerer, ADS, Young and Spencer Lee.
Siebrecht- has a tough road ahead but if the refs help him like they do Haines from F*** State, he should be AAing.
Kennedy- no other wrestler had a better mentor to learn from than Kennedy. He will follow in the lengendary Bull’s successful runs in the NCAA Tournament. Definitely a favorite to win like Marinelli was.
Brands- has been blowing out the competition all year with 1 and 2 point thrashings. His only competition will be Stallrocci. Stallrocci’s only chance is challenging Brands to a dance off. But we all saw that Brands proved he was a better dancer at the nearly empty seated Bryce Jordan match earlier this year.
Assad- by far the best 4-9 wrestler in the tournament. Assad’s dynamic offensive skill set is legendary. Nobody coaches the heavier weights like the Brands brothers.
Warner- proof that the regular season means nothing. Warnerov brings his A game to nationals. The lowest he will finish is 3rd and that’s if the refs screw him like they did on his other 6 losses this year.
Cassioppi- gains some weight and turns back into BIG CASS for the tournament. He rolls his way to the finals and continues his absolute ownership of baby Kerk.

IOWA should easily win the NC this year but all the money bribes from F*** State may give one or two matchups to Pedo U. If that happens IOWA still wins because all psu teams will be deducted 25 points for their active role in the Sandusky era.
After the latest NC, all 6 members of the Ferrari clan will commit to Iowa and we will have another 10 years of dominance like the previous 10 years. This prediction was approved by all IOWA wrestling fans who are the most knowledgeable and truly unbiased fans in the world.
Fifty buck says this was written by @rutgersal.

• Haha
Reactions: We Are . . .

@Ironturd is looking like a clear front runner for board Rookie of the Year

Barr/Starocci/Brooks at 174/184/197?
Dunno, but if those three are in the lineup it might be Barr at 184 and Starocci staying at 174. Still I kind of doubt that Barr will be in the lineup as a true frosh, despite that tweet.

Reactions: hlstone
Dunno, but if those three are in the lineup it might be Barr at 184 and Starocci staying at 174. Still I kind of doubt that Barr will be in the lineup as a true frosh, despite that tweet.
Maybe he just meant he would be going to nationals with the team lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT