ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Bracket Release Thread

Apologies if it's been discussed but it seems the most likely scenario is the gatekeeper of the land of AAs for Van Ness is going to be Yahya Thomas.

Reactions: ccdiver
If Bonaccorsi is sitting in the semi-finals, Beard had nothing for him in the dual. Don't remember the score but it was a major and Beard couldn't do anything to stop Bonaccorsi's shot, or finish.

Apologies if it's been discussed but it seems the most likely scenario is the gatekeeper of the land of AAs for Van Ness is going to be Yahya Thomas.
If SVN loses to Paniro, then the loser of the Yahya-Sasso QF is the blood round opponent, which is why everyone keeps mentioning Yahya. If SVN beats Paniro but loses to Henson in the Qs, then he'll likely have Blockhus or Mitch Moore in the BR (or Yahya/Sasso if one of those guys are upset by Blockhus/Moore). Obviously, if he beats both Paniro and Henson, then he is an AA already and is facing Yianni in the semis. Getting past Paniro is going to be the key, but I don't hate the matchups with either Paniro or Henson. They're also both freshmen facing the pressure of nationals for the first time. It's certainly not easy, but nothing is easy at this point in the season, and at least he has a fighting chance at it.

If SVN loses to Paniro, then the loser of the Yahya-Sasso QF is the blood round opponent, which is why everyone keeps mentioning Yahya. If SVN beats Paniro but loses to Henson in the Qs, then he'll likely have Blockhus or Mitch Moore in the BR (or Yahya/Sasso if one of those guys are upset by Blockhus/Moore). Obviously, if he beats both Paniro and Henson, then he is an AA already and is facing Yianni in the semis. Getting past Paniro is going to be the key, but I don't hate the matchups with either Paniro or Henson. They're also both freshmen facing the pressure of nationals for the first time. It's certainly not easy, but nothing is easy at this point in the season, and at least he has a fighting chance at it.
I'm with you. Paniro and Henson are tough, but beatable young wrestlers. Shayne just has to be a tougher young wrestler. I like his chances at that seed.

What are the official criteria for an “ass-kicking”?
giphy.gif

Couldn't ask for a better spot.
I mean, for a 12/13 seed, it's as good as it's going to get. He won't be favored vs either Paniro or Henson, but at least he's in the same boat with them. If you compare that to Murin, he hits the Yianni brick wall in the Qs then drops down to the blood round to face the loser of Parco vs Gomez. Oof, I'd much rather have SVN's draw.

I mean, for a 12/13 seed, it's as good as it's going to get. He won't be favored vs either Paniro or Henson, but at least he's in the same boat with them. If you compare that to Murin, he hits the Yianni brick wall in the Qs then drops down to the blood round to face the loser of Parco vs Gomez. Oof, I'd much rather have SVN's draw.

It helps being a really good 13.

I totally agree. That one worries me a bit. Maybe we get a nice surprise and he's wrestling Yaya for 5th after losing to Yianni in the semis and winning one match in the consi bracket. One can hope!

I totally agree. That one worries me a bit. Maybe we get a nice surprise and he's wrestling Yaya for 5th after losing to Yianni in the semis and winning one match in the consi bracket. One can hope!
I don't think either YaYa or Paniro are good match ups for SVN. He seems to struggle with disciplined positional wrestlers. He hasn't sniffed a takedown on Murin. Paniro and Yaya are just as good, if not better defensively. But it also means he'll likely be right in those matches until the final whistle.

Agreed, assuming Gomez isn’t as limited as he was at Big 10’s. If he is, I don’t think Murin will have any issues beating him. If Graham Rooks can beat him then I’m not worried about Max.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I don't think either YaYa or Paniro are good match ups for SVN. He seems to struggle with disciplined positional wrestlers. He hasn't sniffed a takedown on Murin. Paniro and Yaya are just as good, if not better defensively. But it also means he'll likely be right in those matches until the final whistle.
I think Van Ness is due for a big jump next year, contender status but not "favorite" status, I believe that'll come in his junior and senior years. I think fans expected too much from him this year overall especially when he got no legitimate mat time his freshman year. One thing though is his defense is cleaned up pretty well. In his losses, I don't believe he ever gave up more than one TD in any of them except Gomez (which came as he took a desperation shot that Gomez circled around for). His offense will come eventually. PSU fans are spoiled by some wrestlers being studs as a RS FR. RBY and Nick Lee weren't that either, took both 2-3 years of seasoning in the room as well.

I think Van Ness is due for a big jump next year, contender status but not "favorite" status, I believe that'll come in his junior and senior years. I think fans expected too much from him this year overall especially when he got no legitimate mat time his freshman year. One thing though is his defense is cleaned up pretty well. In his losses, I don't believe he ever gave up more than one TD in any of them except Gomez (which came as he took a desperation shot that Gomez circled around for). His offense will come eventually. PSU fans are spoiled by some wrestlers being studs as a RS FR. RBY and Nick Lee weren't that either, took both 2-3 years of seasoning in the room as well.
How about a big jump Thursday, Friday and Saturday!

11-9? Not an a$$ kicking if I recall. I was there. It was just a disappointment. Surprised Max let Beard get to the legs so much. Happy for Beard tho. Sees like a good man.
I rewatched it today. Definitely not an ass kicking.

If he loses to Yianni in semis and wins a consi match b4 wrestling Yaya he is wrestling for 3rd.

Last edited:
If he loses to ianni in semis and wins a consi match b4 wrestling Yaya he is wrestling for 3rd.
If he loses to Yianni in the semifinals wouldn't he wrestle the winner of Yaya/Mauller in his first consi match assuming chalk in the consi bracket?
Corrected to be the winner of Yaya/Mauller.

Last edited:
If he loses to Yianni in the semifinals wouldn't he wrestle the loser of Yaya/Mauller in his first consi match assuming chalk in the consi bracket?
I didn't check that, I was just going with if he loses in semis, and then wins a consi match he isn't wrestling anybody for 5th he is wrestling for third.

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT