ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Bracket Release Thread

If SVN and Facundo don’t AA as freshman you consider them question marks?! Like you said, 165 is one of the deepest weights we’ve seen in awhile. SVN also lost pretty much a full year of development with an injury. I do think that SVN will AA and that Facundo has a chance and will definitely have a better showing than at Big10’s but even if they don’t I have no concern about them going forward. I think they will both be great and probably win a title before they are done

It's very impressive how loaded 165 has been for quite a few years.

WE WANT BUTTHORN! <clap, clap, clap clap clap>
The only way

646c21ed-772b-471e-ba4b-210bd8e8edeb_text.gif

Working on my contest picks and I keep coming up with Beau in the semis. Damn it that doesn’t look right to me….
Even if he loses to Matthews, it’s beat Schwartz or Hart for AA, Cornella to get to 5th place match. Not easy, but a doable path to at least the 5th place match. Of course, that’s what his seed predicts.

Working on my contest picks and I keep coming up with Beau in the semis. Damn it that doesn’t look right to me….
My initial picks have Beau losing to Mathews in the Qs then beating D'Emilio in the BR and Filius on the back side before losing to Hardy to go into the 5th place match, which he wins over Jack.

I have been looking through the 197 bracket and noticed something about the top 4 seeds. Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it….if so sorry. Of the top four seeds, only one has more than 16 matches wrestled….Laird at 26. Bonaccorsi 16, Truax 14 and Elam 11. I realize the formula is the formula and the B10 loss in the finals is huge but seeing Truax at 14 matches and Elam at 11 as the 2 and 3 seeds is…..well….I can’t find the words to describe!

Reactions: ccdiver
I have been looking through the 197 bracket and noticed something about the top 4 seeds. Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it….if so sorry. Of the top four seeds, only one has more than 16 matches wrestled….Laird at 26. Bonaccorsi 16, Truax 14 and Elam 11. I realize the formula is the formula and the B10 loss in the finals is huge but seeing Truax at 14 matches and Elam at 11 as the 2 and 3 seeds is…..well….I can’t find the words to describe!
The word I'd use is: accurate.

Truax beat Beard among others. Elam won a very tough conference. Other than Bonaccorsi, who earned a spot above them? Laird maybe, except he lost the common opponents battle to Elam (lost to Pentz).

There's only 1 returning national champ in the weight. And his title was not some fluke.
Rewatched Andonian and O'Conner last night and I'm sorry, but Andonian made two huge mistakes to give O'Conner 4 points. O'Conner did take advantage of them but Andonians' mistakes lead directly to the points. Not saying his NCAA title was a fluke, just making the observation that Andonian makes plenty of mistakes, he is dangerous if you're not mindful of your positions.

Rewatched Andonian and O'Conner last night and I'm sorry, but Andonian made two huge mistakes to give O'Conner 4 points. O'Conner did take advantage of them but Andonians' mistakes lead directly to the points. Not saying his NCAA title was a fluke, just making the observation that Andonian makes plenty of mistakes, he is dangerous if you're not mindful of your positions.
Mine was a bigger point: O'Connor was a deserving champ and is wrestling just as well now, and shouldn't be dismissed.

The 2 Andonian wins are not his full body of work.

Reactions: diggerpup
Mine was a bigger point: O'Connor was a deserving champ and is wrestling just as well now, and shouldn't be dismissed.

The Sasso final was questionable in my mind.

O'Connor reminds me of a more mature Levi a little bit. A little more powerful right now, but very fundamental with great body awareness and mat savvy. Not a crazy high attack rate, but can get to everybody's legs at least a couple times a match and finish efficiently.

I wrestled at USAFA from 2009-2013, so graduated the same year as Cole Von Ohlen.

Did you ever wrestle Scott Frohardt? He was one of our last AAs. Believe he graduated in 2002. Was deployed with him a few years ago. Good guy.
I’m from Dallastown - same HS as Clay Gable, whose dad Dave was in my class.

Reactions: AF_Nole89
I was impressed the way Nagao was able to ride RBY. It seemed RBY was being very cautious and when he tried to get out he was unable. Do you guys think RBY was just measuring Nagao for a possible rematch? I hope if RBY is up by 4 he goes neutral with his choice.
as good as RBY is on his feet he should always go neutral!

Nagao is a good scrambler in neutral, and he tied up some good takedown attempts. I saw that match like you did, as RBY seemed to have a very measured approach but that has been common. Only after he breaks an opponent does he turn up the pace. One thing ... RBY took neutral in the second. Nagao took top in the third. I wouldn't expect RBY to choose down if they meet again.

It had to be a tough choice for the Minn coaches to choose top. Nagao's ride is more of a controlling ride. It isn't a turning ride. (His bonus rate is low, and he isn't a scorer). They chose top and they pretty much accepted the loss. Get the riding time point and that's it. RBY knew this too. He did turtle a lot. Other refs might ding him for his effort. But if he avoids a stall call until he goes under then he'll be fine riding it out.
yea not good taking top if you cant score!!and give up a stall point!

If the Nolf matchup Deakin was just tired of being taken down.
Nolf was like I'm going to ankle pick your right ankle right now and then would do it and Deakin couldn't do shit about it. Nolf was crazy good it's almost like he was dancing everything was fluid and going in one direction

If the Nolf matchup Deakin was just tired of being taken down.
Deakin stalled so much that he rode out the period, got the RT point, and was still outscored in the period.

Granted, outscored by less than if Jason had gotten to neutral.

The word I'd use is: accurate.

Truax beat Beard among others. Elam won a very tough conference. Other than Bonaccorsi, who earned a spot above them? Laird maybe, except he lost the common opponents battle to Elam (lost to Pentz).
For all of the bitching about Max's #9. You know who got screwed? Bonaccorsi.

His side is loaded. I think he has more than his hands full with Max, Beard or Laird, maybe even Allred.

Like several other brackets the bottom half is markedly easier IMO, so much for the rewards of a #1.

Last edited:
For all of the bitching about Beard's #9. You know who got screwed? Bonaccorsi.

His side is loaded. I think he has more than his hands full with Max, Beard or Laird, maybe even Allred.

Like several other brackets the bottom half is markedly easier IMO, so much for the rewards of a #1.
Yeah, getting the first seed at 197 doesn't appear much of a reward for Bonaccorsi's season.
At least going into the tournament it appears that way. Who knows, after all the medals are awarded Saturday it may appear different.

Foca lost to Lewis 3-2 at CKLV (his only loss of the year). Last year (before he got concussed), he lost to Lewis 3-1 in SV, and Starocci 3-2 the day before down in Floriduh. The difference in the Starocci match was a 3rd period ride out (Foca got the only takedown of the match, and gave up two escapes).

Don't underestimate Foca.
I agree with you there. I was only pointing out how much difficulty he had with Lewis. Of course everyone knows how Lewis wrestles too. He tried the same strategy with Labriola in the CKLV finals and it backfired.

Regarding Foca he’s a really good guy too. I spoke to him his Jr year in HS at the Doc Buchanan tournament and he came across as a very polite young man. He had his head shaved and looked very much like a young Cael Sanderson at that time. I took a picture of him that I’ll post if I can upload it to one of those photo sharing websites.

Foca is a unique challenge from Labriola and Mekhi, who are tougher to score on guys. Plott is in a similar boat (if he somehow beats Foca) That being said, Carter will be at his best in March vs December (where Foca almost beat him)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT