ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Team Trials previews - April 19 & 20

I was referring to their dual meet. That's the only match I know of where he showed any gas tank issues. Also, he's always been slow to get back to the middle. In the EIWA final you linked, he had over two minutes RT, and I have no idea why the ref called stalling there. It's not like he was backing up or anything. In fact, he was the last one to make any offensive move (in the final :10): not a sign of a gas tank issue.
If you don’t think he gassed in that match we will just have to disagree. Maybe he is always slow to get back to center and that’s part of why I think he gassed. The body language is not good. You had also said that he hadn’t been called for stalling in the 3rd while hanging on a lead and he did in that match. He was backing up and only attacked off his opponents shot. You can still make an offensive move while being gassed. Happens all the time. Getting in on a shot is a great way to kill time.

Reactions: danoftw
Agreed. It's not supposed to be about limiting opportunities for competition. A 40% reduction in the weight classes competing is awful. Yes. It's better than dropping the sport entirely, but how in h*&# was that ever on the table.
The only thing in history that could unite the US, Russia, and Iran was trying to drop Olympic wrestling.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe this travesty has continued into this cycle. All of these world bodies are corrupt to the core. Think about it, US, Russia and Iran are the powerhouses. All that it would take is a horse head in the bed of the right IOC official(s). Putin has done worse for less. ;-)
Okay, hard stop, I'm a legitimate, Certified Farrier in America. No horse heads needed..

This is a link to our OTT bracket picks. Feel free to join.

Losing a parent is the biggest punch to the gut their is. It changes your entire world and outlook. Losing your Father... It's a huge ask to be mentally okay.

Actually, it's worse losing a child. I watched what happen to my parents when my sister died suddenly and completely unexpectedly.

I think we all know we're supposed to be orphans at some point in life; but we either don't believe it or we think it'll be "later".

This is a link to our OTT bracket picks. Feel free to join.
This is cool, thanks! Haven't seen that site before. It'd be neat to be able to see everyone else's picks (at least after you make your own), but otherwise seems to be a nice, simple format.

Actually, it's worse losing a child. I watched what happen to my parents when my sister died suddenly and completely unexpectedly.

I think we all know we're supposed to be orphans at some point in life; but we either don't believe it or we think it'll be "later".
Always better for parents to go first, but no one knows how this will go down.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
If it were up to the IOC, they would have 0 instead of 6 even. Think it's time to give up the dream.
Part of wrestling getting booted ( at least IMO) had to do with the corruption level of international wrestling. It was so extreme and complete even the IOC was embarrassed.
The campaign to get back to 10 weights should start with "We have cleaned ourself up so that the IOC has been declassified as the king of corruption and we should go back to 10 weight classifications."

Part of wrestling getting booted ( at least IMO) had to do with the corruption level of international wrestling. It was so extreme and complete even the IOC was embarrassed.
The campaign to get back to 10 weights should start with "We have cleaned ourself up so that the IOC has been declassified as the king of corruption and we should go back to 10 weight classifications."
Hard to believe the IOC was embarrassed by corruption unless it was done better than they were doing it.

Yet figure skating remains?

I get it. That crap pulls in crazy numbers. 🤑🤮🤑

I think you nailed it … I have no clue about the corruption angle but I have to believe TV is driving a bunch of decisions as well. They are adding gimmick sports left and right (sports that don’t have any legit historical leagues or competitions) while eliminating wresting weights.

Figure skating is one of the bellwether and oldest winter Olympic sports. There are so many winter and summer sports that would and should get chopped before that. It would be like targeting Alpine skiing.

I’m not a huge fan of it but it’s effin hard. it was cooler when they actually judged the skaters doing the “figures” which was one of the scoring components along with the short and long programs. They were given a precise “figure” or line sketch to trace on the ice and it was nerve wracking to watch.

Signed: huge Winter Olympics fan

Given the outsized influence Western Europe has in the IOC, if those countries aren’t good at a sport or don’t like it, it’s in trouble. Wrestling doesn’t have the political stroke that many gimmicky sports do because France, Holland, England, Spain, etc aren’t really good at it

Figure skating is one of the bellwether and oldest winter Olympic sports. There are so many winter and summer sports that would and should get chopped before that. It would be like targeting Alpine skiing.

I’m not a huge fan of it but it’s effin hard. it was cooler when they actually judged the skaters doing the “figures” which was one of the scoring components along with the short and long programs. They were given a precise “figure” or line sketch to trace on the ice and it was nerve wracking to watch.

Signed: huge Winter Olympics fan
I believe in skill tests for figure skating as well. I remember the figure 8 prerequisite. A lot of skaters failed it badly. No one should win a gold medal if they can't skate correctly.

Edit to add that I like Winter Games more as well.

Even with the explanations above, I don’t understand how the IOC benefits (financially, operationally, etc) by having fewer wrestling weight classes. Is there a negative return on having more than 6 weight classes?

Even with the explanations above, I don’t understand how the IOC benefits (financially, operationally, etc) by having fewer wrestling weight classes. Is there a negative return on having more than 6 weight classes?
They get a bigger TV deal from NBC when they give more airtime to sports with bigger ratings.

Whether those ratings are real, or projected by some suit at NBC shaking his Magic 8 Ball, doesn't matter.

Does anyone know how the schedule will go? Will mens FS be going on the same time as Greco? Will they rotate men and women?

Agreed. It's not supposed to be about limiting opportunities for competition. A 40% reduction in the weight classes competing is awful. Yes. It's better than dropping the sport entirely, but how in h*&# was that ever on the table.
Exactly, all the dumb sports that literally no one watches, they hamstring wrestling.
If it weren't so pathetic it would be laughable.
Canoe Sprint, badminton?? Wth

200.gif

Does anyone know how the schedule will go? Will mens FS be going on the same time as Greco? Will they rotate men and women?
Best I can find.
Appears to be 4 mats on Friday / Session 1 ... with a quad-box view available.

Did they happen reduce weight classes in weightlifting?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT