ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Funny, but what’s that make Penn State then?
1f1e3ca5a3c330acccbd58cbdcf6e4f6.gif

More trivia, the kid who played the dueling banjo porch scene still works (or was working until fairly recently) in a diner in Clayton, GA. I never went to see him, but apparently lots of people do and he's supposedly pretty good about saying hi, allowing you to take photos with him, etc..
I read that he did not actually play the banjo, but that another guy did, sat behind him and had his arms come through a special shirt to make it look like the kid was playing, kind of interesting.

I graduated from Ranger School and then spent 2 years in a ranger unit as the number 2 guy then the commander. At the time I was 5'9" and weighed 140 pounds. I was told when I joined that you can see the big guys a mile away... but the small guys that can run forever those are the ones you have to worry about.
So no.. if you can do the physical part there is no weight/height requirments (other than the standard weight hieght requirement by service)
Did USMC Recon training (0321) in the 70’s as a relatively small guy (5’9” 135 lbs when I played Lacrosse for PSU). The packs were stifling and I wished at the time that they didn’t let little guys even try. Military training made running stadium steps at PSU seem like a picnic. After being turned loose I did find being smaller was preserving. Hendrickson is a damn big dude so I wonder just what he has in mind with the USAF. He’d make a hell of an impressive CO so maybe he could get some good management knowledge at Michigan at taxpayer expense.

Word was that Michigan hit the portal hard the first year so they could RS their freshman class. Why is they are hitting the portal the portal two or three years in a row?

Does he know it gets cold in Ann Arbor?
Because they can? Great place to go get a grad degree if you have to leave an ivy. They don't have any huge recruit getting replaced by Cardenas.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Michigan must have the highest cost(schollys and NIL) per point at Nationals than any other team. As I've said before, late college transfers are shiny looking but many times regress slightly (or more) in a new room/environment. I don't believe Michigan's business model will work short or long term. It just hides mediocre coaching.

Last edited:
Because they can? Great place to go get a grad degree if you have to leave an ivy. They don't have any huge recruit getting replaced by Cardenas.
Hayden Walters was a top 20 recruit in 2024.

They had Rylan Rogers but he portaled out. He was definitely a top recruit

So, for Hendrickson to go to grad school at Michigan, he’d have to demonstrate a compelling reason for the USAF to send him to grad school. One of my classmates at VT was a USAFA grad, who went there straight from USAFA, and he had a stellar research program ready to go from his first day. They aren’t going to pay for him to get his MBA at Michigan out of the goodness of their hearts. Unless he’s already prepared a research plan, and gotten approval, it’s not happening.
IIRC, Adam Coon was aerospace engineering. Without doing specific research, but I would assume UM would have a similar graduate program that USAF (or SpaceForce?) might find applicable...

Again, is the research part an AF requirement? The Navy does not have research as a requirement. Or at least did not 15 or so years ago.
As a part of WCAP, no. But WCAP also doesn't have you go to school to earn a degree (or use an extra year of eligibility). Not sure how the AF would feel about sending someone to one of its degree earning programs and then having them join a sports team.

Did USMC Recon training (0321) in the 70’s as a relatively small guy (5’9” 135 lbs when I played Lacrosse for PSU). The packs were stifling and I wished at the time that they didn’t let little guys even try. Military training made running stadium steps at PSU seem like a picnic. After being turned loose I did find being smaller was preserving. Hendrickson is a damn big dude so I wonder just what he has in mind with the USAF. He’d make a hell of an impressive CO so maybe he could get some good management knowledge at Michigan at taxpayer expense.
Went through Navy flight training with a recon Marine. Tallest guy in the class,6’4”. Former Southern Cal swimmer. So tall he dead sticked a crippled A4 into Danang rather than ejecting. (Didn’t want to hit his knees getting out). Tough SOB.

Gulacha (157) and Walters (197) are 2 coveted 2024 recruits entering their RSFR year. Michigan is not showing much confidence in the youngsters.
Walters and Gulacha both tore their ACLs last summer and were off the mat for the entire season. Hayden took a medical RS this year and can use a regular RS next year. Rogers transferred because he’s behind Bullock who has three more years.

Walters and Gulacha both tore their ACLs last summer and were off the mat for the entire season. Hayden took a medical RS this year and can use a regular RS next year. Rogers transferred because he’s behind Bullock who has three more years.
Rogers couldn’t go 197? I thought he could probably grow into it but maybe not? Any idea where he lands?

Reactions: 1AA
Rogers couldn’t go 197? I thought he could probably grow into it but maybe not? Any idea where he lands?
FWIW, his school list was Michigan, NC State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, and Penn State.

Since he's from northern Idaho, kinda hope he lands at Oregon State.

Reactions: 1AA and zzs006
FWIW, his school list was Michigan, NC State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, and Penn State.

Since he's from northern Idaho, kinda hope he lands at Oregon State.
My guess is he goes somewhere west. Maybe Oregon State, Cal Poly or Utah Valley.

I think he’s too small for 197. He’s wrestled there a few times up there the last two seasons, without a ton of success.

Not how it works, you don't have any medical redshirt until you graduate, apply and receive one. Since he still had his regular and didn't compete, this year counts as a regular redshirt for him unless he has an Olympic.

If they tore their ACL last summer, why wouldn't they be ready to go next winter? They would have 16-17 months of recovery.

Not sure where else to put this and some variations have been stated already, but the PSU transfer situation is so exaggerated to me.

To consider guys like Kerk and Messenbrink to be transfers in the same vain as Griffith and Davidson or Woods and Franek or even Nagao and Truax is just insane to me! Those two should be considered PSU guys, period! Neither wrestled a match that even counts for their original schools. They aren’t guns for hire like the majority of transfers, they just found a better fit before they ever even really got started.

Just had to get that off my chest because it drives me nuts when those two are lumped in with the others in any transfer talk.

Not sure where else to put this and some variations have been stated already, but the PSU transfer situation is so exaggerated to me.

To consider guys like Kerk and Messenbrink to be transfers in the same vain as Griffith and Davidson or Woods and Franek or even Nagao and Truax is just insane to me! Those two should be considered PSU guys, period! Neither wrestled a match that even counts for their original schools. They aren’t guns for hire like the majority of transfers, they just found a better fit before they ever even really got started.

Just had to get that off my chest because it drives me nuts when those two are lumped in with the others in any transfer talk.
Yeah, while they are technically transfers, there’s a big difference between a guy transferring for a year or two and guys who transfer before they even use any eligibility. Functionally, they’re more like re-recruits.

Reactions: caliPSUfan
This notion about Kerk and Mesenbrink isn't the win you guys think it is.

They left their original schools by their own choice, without first obtaining a degree, and it doesn't matter if they left after a week or a month or a year or 3 years.

Try telling Cal Baptist that Mesenbrink doesn't really count as a transfer.

This notion about Kerk and Mesenbrink isn't the win you guys think it is.

They left their original schools by their own choice, without first obtaining a degree, and it doesn't matter if they left after a week or a month or a year or 3 years.

Try telling Cal Baptist that Mesenbrink doesn't really count as a transfer.
We tried. Phone is off the hook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT