ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Recruiting underway

I just wonder who Cael called first. The stories about waiting outside Suriano's house on the eve of recruiting make me believe we do that on a regular. Bassett and Jax seem like they are already around the guys a ton.
Almost certainly Bassett got called first.

And the Midnight Suriano calls/visits are likely a rarity for PSU coaches now. Recall last year's Knox recruitment day video (we have a thread on it, also it's on Flo). Cael called Knox during the day, not late in the day but also not among the first callers. Knox was thrilled to get that call, and he was otherwise very invested on coaches calling him at the stroke of midnight.

And the Midnight Suriano calls/visits are likely a rarity for PSU coaches now. Recall last year's Knox recruitment day video (we have a thread on it, also it's on Flo). Cael called Knox during the day, not late in the day but also not among the first callers. Knox was thrilled to get that call, and he was otherwise very invested on coaches calling him at the stroke of midnight.
Was he called during the day because we knew he wasn't coming here or because the midnight strategy doesn't hold water? I really don't know the truth of the matter.

Was he called during the day because we knew he wasn't coming here or because the midnight strategy doesn't hold water? I really don't know the truth of the matter.
Watch the Knox video and see how he reacted to Cael's call. He was definitely not decided against PSU.

He did commit to the school that contacted him first, right after midnight, but in general it's so overrated. Is a kid really going to turn down PSU because Cael called at 9 am instead of 12:01 am?

OTOH: watch Knox deflate when called by Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa.

Knox was long rumored to heavily prefer the Ivy League. He didn’t pick Cornell cause Grey called him early. He made it a point to show his reaction (smile and nod) after he got the text from Cael to y to show how he felt about PSU.

Watch the Knox video and see how he reacted to Cael's call. He was definitely not decided against PSU.

He did commit to the school that contacted him first, right after midnight, but in general it's so overrated. Is a kid really going to turn down PSU because Cael called at 9 am instead of 12:01 am?
To answer your question, I don't think so to be honest but I'm probably thinking like an adult. When I was 18 and dumb as a rock, attention was more important because it stroked my vanity. Hard to say really. Cael has more experience with 18 year olds than I do so I'll defer to his means. Which seem somewhat successful!

The video was not a good look for Iowa just symbolically …. of all coaches you could have call a 125/133 pound hammer …

Like just the common sense is lacking there
The brands brothers have the attitude many sales people have when they don't like or get tired of rejection. They send someone else or don't call. I am positive rejection is a big deal to Tom Brands and over time, it builds significant inertia. Sales management is what I did for a living for many years, and even the best can tire from rejection. It's obvious to me, and almost impossible to fix. It's psychological in nature.

I just wonder who Cael called first. The stories about waiting outside Suriano's house on the eve of recruiting make me believe we do that on a regular. Bassett and Jax seem like they are already around the guys a ton.

If I were Cael, I'd have personally made Jax my very first call (or visit) and I'd have done it as soon as it hit midnight. I still don't think OSU is a guarantee like everyone else does. Wonder how the kid would have felt about Cael being on the phone or on his doorstep with him at midnight and not Bo. Next stop would have been to Bo's house.... giving him time to hang up with Bobby "one phone call away" Telford..

Last edited:
If I were Cael, I'd have personally made Jax my very first call (or visit) and I'd have done it as soon as it hit midnight. I still don't think OSU is a guarantee like everyone else does. Wonder how the kid would have felt about Cael being on the phone or on his doorstep with him at midnight and not Bo. Next stop would have been to Bo's house.... giving him time to hang up with Bobby "one phone call away" Telford..
Iowa had a sofa delivered to the Bassett front porch with Telford sitting on it at midnight. A sight to behold.

If I were Cael, I'd show up at The Compound at 4:55 am. Two birds, one stone.

tkt-smart.gif

Telford is the recruiting weapon. Zero doubt the called Bo and Jax.

I would assume Johnstown had alot of d1 coaches there last night and today. Short dudes when cauliflower ears everywhere. I was in Johnstown once for jr high states, not a fun place.

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion
Funny stuff!

One small quibble…I think this program is far past the point of coaches showing up anywhere at midnight.
Understand your point but I disagree. I don't think any program can ever say that they are far beyond the point of doing what is necessary to win a recruit. Maybe they don't need to pull out all the stops on a lot of kids, but I bet Cael would be on a doorstep at midnight if necessary. He's a competitive guy.

Last edited:
Understand your point but I disagree. I don't think any program can ever say that they are far beyond the point of doing what is necessary to win a recruit. Maybe they don't need to pull out all the stops on a lot of kids, but I bet Cael would be on a doorstep at midnight if necessary. He's a competitive guy.
Oh, I would never undersell Cael’s competitiveness. It’s just that this massive dynasty they’ve built, the culture, the family have all made it so the top kids know full well where they should go to optimize their chances of attaining the very highest wrestling goals. They’ve built it to the point where the program sells itself and showing up anywhere at midnight is no longer necessary. Aren’t we lucky? 😃

Telford is the recruiting weapon. Zero doubt the called Bo and Jax.

I would assume Johnstown had alot of d1 coaches there last night and today. Short dudes when cauliflower ears everywhere. I was in Johnstown once for jr high states, not a fun place.
Iowa called the Rainey brothers. They’ve already given up on Bassett and Forest.

Funny stuff!

One small quibble…I think this program is far past the point of coaches showing up anywhere at midnight.
Recently Cael said it’s more the kids recruiting them rather than PSU recruiting the kids. You think you can hang in this room… call me and we’ll check you out. Otherwise no need to apply.

I kind of think Cael will do anything if he thinks the kid will be really, really, good. When asked about Mitch's recruitment Cael said:

“We obviously didn't know he was going to be the killer that he is or we would have camped out in his front yard,”

Recently Cael said it’s more the kids recruiting them rather than PSU recruiting the kids. You think you can hang in this room… call me and we’ll check you out. Otherwise no need to apply.
That was before DT and the money backing him. I don’t think Brands style lazy recruiting will cut it. To quote Glengarry Glen Ross - “always be selling”

That was before DT and the money backing him. I don’t think Brands style lazy recruiting will cut it. To quote Glengarry Glen Ross - “always be selling”
It was never that way. Some people took that phrase far too literally. Kids "recruit PSU" by showing they love the sport -- competing, attending camps, being around the program (as possible for geography), having fun, having a good attitude, being a good teammate, not partying, etc.

But make no mistake about it: the coaches recruit.

Otherwise: did our eyes and ears lie to us when Cael initiated contact with Knox last year?

I have no doubt these coaches put in the work at recruiting. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it’s more of a question of style. I can’t see Cael being the hard sell, used car salesman, call at midnight kind of a guy.

I think he and the other coaches work hard to get to know these kids to see if they are a good fit for the program and the program is a good fit for the kid vs a “we gotta get this kid” mentality.

Reactions: mhlarch
I have no doubt these coaches put in the work at recruiting. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it’s more of a question of style. I can’t see Cael being the hard sell, used car salesman, call at midnight kind of a guy.

I think he and the other coaches work hard to get to know these kids to see if they are a good fit for the program and the program is a good fit for the kid vs a “we gotta get this kid” mentality.
All that said, it would be awesome if Cael called Blaze last night and told him - I could be calling Juniors right now on their first recruiting day, but I’m calling you again.

I think what he means is a lot of top kids contact them as well as a lot of kids contacting them further down the list as well. The program recruits itself as in Max Dean said I’m coming we’ll figure out the rest later. PSU has the best total package available. That’s not debatable. Maybe it’s not everyone’s best fit and that’s fine.

As far as not calling kids at midnite. Who knows if they ever did that. Not sure it’s a matter of we’re so good now we don’t have to do put in that kind of effort anymore. Could be it’s more of a PSU call the first weekend stands out on its own to a top recruit as much as being the first call stands out.

Oh, I would never undersell Cael’s competitiveness. It’s just that this massive dynasty they’ve built, the culture, the family have all made it so the top kids know full well where they should go to optimize their chances of attaining the very highest wrestling goals. They’ve built it to the point where the program sells itself and showing up anywhere at midnight is no longer necessary. Aren’t we lucky? 😃
That's what Joe thought as well. Then 2000 happened.

What is bolded is absolute BS that you added for some odd reason.

As far as not calling kids at midnite. Who knows if they ever did that. Not sure it’s a matter of we’re so good now we don’t have to do put in that kind of effort anymore. Could be it’s more of a PSU call the first weekend stands out on its own to a top recruit as much as being the first call stands out.
It's well known that the PSU coaches parked outside Suriano's house and waited until midnight to knock on the door.

It's so well known that ever since, many/most coaches make calls at midnight. That competitive advantage is long gone gone. And if there's one thing we know about Cael: he doesn't do the same thing everybody else does. He finds a different way.

It's clearly over in trying to get Bo. Once Rutgers calls first, I don't even know why anyone else would bother. On a serious note, Goodale has clearly delegated that duty.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum

I guess I ask and wonder because I would like to know who they think is the best and biggest need based on that action. Intend to agree it's Bassett because it's as big of a name as any in the past 20 years.

I'll be honest I looked at Mirasolas and said throw ins early on and now I look at them and say he was on to something earlier than most.

#22 and didn't call on Day 1? We're doomed.

I am already getting tired of the Bassett approach and things have just started.

To be clear calling him is of course a must, but his complete bullshit there are 30 schools in consideration is almost a red flag. Realistically, 4-5 at most, why not just be honest for Christ sake, and not burn precious $$$ from some of these smaller programs just to get wined and dined.

The talent is emmense but the presentation has the "it's all about me" flavor that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

All of this tells me he emotionally 'needs' to be the face of a program, not just one of the many greats. Unfortunately we have seen this before and IMO Bo is even worse.

I could be wrong but the optics are poor.

I guess I ask and wonder because I would like to know who they think is the best and biggest need based on that action. Intend to agree it's Bassett because it's as big of a name as any in the past 20 years.

I'll be honest I looked at Mirasolas and said throw ins early on and now I look at them and say he was on to something earlier than most.
One thing I hadn't considered earlier: Keegan was in El Salvador for U15 Pan Ams, which concluded yesterday. Presumably at least some of the family was there with him, during Day 1 of Bo's recruiting.

Cael wasn’t “Cael” in high school. He wouldn’t have been drooled over and talked about though the 🧠 probably would have had him sneaky high on his big board. I’m thinking Cael filters out the noise and is looking for potential.

Hell, Carter was #7 pfp or so and was totally under the radar still.

I am already getting tired of the Bassett approach and things have just started.

To be clear calling him is of course a must, but his complete bullshit there are 30 schools in consideration is almost a red flag. Realistically, 4-5 at most, why not just be honest for Christ sake, and not burn precious $$$ from some of these smaller programs just to get wined and dined.

The talent is emmense but the presentation has the "it's all about me" flavor that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

All of this tells me he emotionally 'needs' to be the face of a program, not just one of the many greats. Unfortunately we have seen this before and IMO Bo is even worse.

In Bo’s interview with Basch he said he would widdle down the list of teams to decide who he’s going to visit because he won’t have time to visit every school. He also said he sees both sides, wanting to win team titles and be apart of something historic (PSU) vs. going to a school where you are the face of the program.

Bo Bassett is a piker compared to RBY and Carter when it comes to social media presence.

And let's be honest here: you didn't just now get tired of Bassett.

Last edited:
Inside the Iowa sales room:

"Put that coffee down Tom!". Coffee is for closers".

"Always be closing! Always be closing!. Get MAD you sons a bitches! Penn State can take the leads you have and get 4 COMMITS by midnight tonight. Can you Telford? Can you Morningstar? If you want my advice, fire your ass Brands, cause a loser is a loser. I'm here from State College, I am here from Sanderson and Cunningham, and I am here on a mission of mercy! Know what it takes to compete with Penn State? It takes BRASS BALLS to compete with Penn State. First place is a Cadillac car, second place a set of steak knives, third place is Michigan and 4th place is Iowa State. Fifth place is your fired. I'd tell you good luck Terry but you and your brother wouldn't know what to do with it. These are the good leads, these are the SANDERSON/TAYLOR LEADS... AND YOU DON'T GET THEM. Because to give them to you Bobby, would be throwing them away."

They're for closers. They're for Cael, Cody, Casey, Varner, and Nick.

You think Clarion is calling him because they think they have a shot and are spending a lot of money because they think they can land him? They’re calling because they have to.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT