ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Recruiting underway

If that would happen, I'd like to task you with finding my next username cuz I'd definitely need it.
Ike Mevans. You'll never be impressed.

Also, how would they find out?

d45a9ed8-a2d3-40a1-b64f-9ecfb7dbceef_text.gif

Last edited:
A little off topic but still recruiting, Mario Hutcherson who is an incoming freshman in the wpial just won Greco and freestyle in El Salvador and I’m not sure he surrendered a point. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one. The next wave.
Mineo shared his dads post on facebook that he outscored opponents 68-1 and the pictures were of him killing kids. At the end of the post it said the lion of all lions. Is that a Penn State hint? Cael and the coaches wouldn't recruit him this early.

Reactions: Law-Deezie
I have no doubt these coaches put in the work at recruiting. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it’s more of a question of style. I can’t see Cael being the hard sell, used car salesman, call at midnight kind of a guy.

I think he and the other coaches work hard to get to know these kids to see if they are a good fit for the program and the program is a good fit for the kid vs a “we gotta get this kid” mentality.
100% agree on this.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Mineo shared his dads post on facebook that he outscored opponents 68-1 and the pictures were of him killing kids. At the end of the post it said the lion of all lions. Is that a Penn State hint? Cael and the coaches wouldn't recruit him this early.
No, the motto is “Lions Hunting Lions”…I’d love to say there’s a link but there isn’t. Just a motto..

I disagree. Say Brands gets Bassett, could that lead to Miller following and then some other big recruits who would want to jump on that train with Bassett?
The threat is Magic Man. That threat won't actually appear until 2026. Oklahoma State sealed Brands fate last month. Iowa is no longer the main rival to Penn State. That is now Oklahoma State.

I was only comparing him to Teasdale regarding his wrestling style and winning - he absolutely had that “machine gun” mentality Bassett talks about. He was killing kids with the pace and intensity - and then it all went south.

I, like everyone, hope Bo stays on his current, very successful path, but burnout can happen all the time. Maybe the lifestyle isn’t out of the ordinary for any of these top, top kids but it’s magnified with Bo because of his overwhelming social media presence.
My nephew who coached high school wrestling was at States Gavin senior year and said there was some scuttle butt that Teasdale had some issues with how/what he was doing to cut weight. I wasn't surprised with his difficulties in college.

I am already getting tired of the Bassett approach and things have just started.

To be clear calling him is of course a must, but his complete bullshit there are 30 schools in consideration is almost a red flag. Realistically, 4-5 at most, why not just be honest for Christ sake, and not burn precious $$$ from some of these smaller programs just to get wined and dined.

The talent is emmense but the presentation has the "it's all about me" flavor that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

All of this tells me he emotionally 'needs' to be the face of a program, not just one of the many greats. Unfortunately we have seen this before and IMO Bo is even worse.

I could be wrong but the optics are poor.

This post is really poor. Are we so spoiled now that we don't want a #1 or #2 recruit because he has a "list?" I think there might be a knitting sport that might be of interest for some. Wow.

I am already getting tired of the Bassett approach and things have just started.

To be clear calling him is of course a must, but his complete bullshit there are 30 schools in consideration is almost a red flag. Realistically, 4-5 at most, why not just be honest for Christ sake, and not burn precious $$$ from some of these smaller programs just to get wined and dined.

The talent is emmense but the presentation has the "it's all about me" flavor that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

All of this tells me he emotionally 'needs' to be the face of a program, not just one of the many greats. Unfortunately we have seen this before and IMO Bo is even worse.

I could be wrong but the optics are poor.
For all the complaining about Bassett's "approach," all the kid does is show up to compete everywhere against everybody, show great sportsmanship, and give well spoken interviews. He even wrestles back when he loses.

For all the complaining about Bassett's "approach," all the kid does is show up to compete everywhere against everybody, show great sportsmanship, and give well spoken interviews. He even wrestles back when he loses.
And the few times he loses, he doesn't complain or make excuses. He just goes back to work.

It's funny how people know better than every professional college coach in the country.

And the few times he loses, he doesn't complain or make excuses. He just goes back to work.

It's funny how people know better than every professional college coach in the country.
And gets better! When he hits a wall, he figures it out and makes the next jump. He's way better today than he was a year ago and that's really rare for a kid who's been so good for so long.

Seems like a high character kid who is obsessed with wrestling. Sign me up.

When I was coaching kids, I suggested they answer every call. One never knows where the coach will be by the time they are ready to enroll in college.

If the kid didn't like the college, I told them to use this response, "Thank you for the interest coach. You run a great program. The setting of your campus isn't the right fit for me."

If the college was the proper fit, the answer was.. "Thank you for the offer coach. What is my next step? "

When I was coaching kids, I suggested they answer every call. One never knows where the coach will be by the time they are ready to enroll in college.

If the kid didn't like the college, I told them to use this response, "Thank you for the interest coach. You run a great program. The setting of your campus isn't the right fit for me."

If the college was the proper fit, the answer was.. "Thank you for the offer coach. What is my next step? "
Too professional. The best answer is, "Thanks Coach but some guy who calls himself Slumlord Bob says I could be bagging some big bucks coming to his school. If you can make me a better offer, I might listen." 😁

This post is really poor. Are we so spoiled now that we don't want a #1 or #2 recruit because he has a "list?" I think there might be a knitting sport that might be of interest for some. Wow.
Just saying, a generational wrestler with 20 schools on his list is just ______ (fill in with your own adjective). Wow indeed.

Reactions: PD4thespawn

And according to RBY, his grandpa's guide was:

If the college was Penn State and it was Cael calling, the answer is "Where do I sign coach?"

And according to RBY, his grandpa's guide was:

If the college was Penn State and it was Cael calling, the answer is "Where do I sign coach?"
My kid's coach told her she had 1 week to commit. She responded with, "May I commit now"

The only other school that she would have committed that soon was our PSU. But they didn't offer, much to our chagrin.

Just saying, a generational wrestler with 20 schools on his list is just ______ (fill in with your own adjective). Wow indeed.
I think it’s a social media thing. The more followers the better. If he starts to narrow his list, the interest from fans of those other schools wanes and he potentially loses followers. Follower count could convert into NIL money for sponsors.

I don’t begrudge him.

And gets better! When he hits a wall, he figures it out and makes the next jump. He's way better today than he was a year ago and that's really rare for a kid who's been so good for so long.

Seems like a high character kid who is obsessed with wrestling. Sign me up.
And we are high character message board posters who are obsessed with message-boarding. It’s like a match made in heaven

My kid's coach told her she had 1 week to commit. She responded with, "May I commit now"

The only other school that she would have committed that soon was our PSU. But they didn't offer, much to our chagrin.
PSU does at times cause me to shake my head in bewilderment. Jon Condo was told 3rd hand that Jay determined Jon was not athletic enough to play at Penn State.
St. Louis Cardinal, Washington National, Atlanta Brave Matt Adams was never even contacted by a PSU Bobby Telford wannabe but rather told 3rd hand Matt had a hitch in his swing and would never be good enough to play baseball at PSU.

Too professional. The best answer is, "Thanks Coach but some guy who calls himself Slumlord Bob says I could be bagging some big bucks coming to his school. If you can make me a better offer, I might listen." 😁
I got these 2 guys, Bob and Bobby, calling me. Any idea who they are?

Well, I guess that eliminates Iowa!

• Haha
Reactions: AgSurfer and PASLP2
PSU does at times cause me to shake my head in bewilderment. Jon Condo was told 3rd hand that Jay determined Jon was not athletic enough to play at Penn State.
St. Louis Cardinal, Washington National, Atlanta Brave Matt Adams was never even contacted by a PSU Bobby Telford wannabe but rather told 3rd hand Matt had a hitch in his swing and would never be good enough to play baseball at PSU.
Back when Sunderland was coach, Matt Brown wanted to visit PSU, was told no-thanks, even as a walk-on.

Heres' another one:

A poster who identifies a red flag and make conclusions about a recruit's emotional needs when said recruit makes a list of programs who called him on the first day of the official recruiting cycle is just so ______________.

On the one hand, we have guys like Justin Basch, who helps individuals and businesses grow their brand with insights into how to use social media effectively to increase their value to the marketplace.

On the other, we have people who dislike social media because it amplifies the worst in us, and/or can become a distraction to your real goals in life. Both things can be true.

I don't see Bassett picking fights in comments or blasting people in his posts. I see a kid (and his family) using a playbook to maximize potential while by all accounts staying very grounded, and focused on real goals. Also: one heckuva good wrestler and wrestling mentality.

Last edited:
Here is the Raney's List (Schools - Contacts)
Iowa - Tom & Terry Brands
NC State - Kevin Jack
Virginia Tech - Zach Fanelli
Princeton - Anthony Ashnault & Cody Brewer
Nebraska - Mark Manning
Illinois - Bryce Medlin, Mike Poeta, IMAR, Zain Richards
Little Rock - Neil Erisman
Virginia - Steve Garland
Oklahoma State - David Taylor, Thomas Gilman
Michigan - Sean Bormet
WVU - Mitchell Port
Penn State - Nick Lee
Iowa State - Kevin Dresser
Oklahoma - Roger Kish, Austin Marsden
Purdue - Leroy Vega
Ohio State - J Jaggers
Arizona State - Lee Pritts
North Carolina - Ben Darmstadt, Tony Ramos, Rob Koll, Dr. Enock Francois

Last edited:
This is well put. Anyone who doesn’t like this kid, has an outside issue with him. His interviews, even after a rare loss are so PSU Like. He is high character, fearless and yes seems to enjoy the sport. Now his shirts are starting to surface at the last few events I was at. NE Regionals and Ultimate Club duals, I saw little kids and even dads wearing them.
Love it or hate it this kid is helping the sport grow. He is changing it in different ways. I am a fan of wrestling and this kid can flat out wrestle. To me this is a full court press and from what I heard from my donor friend, Cael & company feel the same way.

Here is the Raney's List (Schools - Contacts)
Iowa - Tom & Terry Brands
NC State - Kevin Jack
Virginia Tech - Zach Fanelli
Princeton - Anthony Ashnault & Cody Brewer
Nebraska - Mark Manning
Illinois - Bryce Medlin, Mike Poeta, IMAR, Zain Richards
Little Rock - Neil Erisman
Virginia - Steve Garland
Oklahoma State - David Taylor, Thomas Gilman
Michigan - Sean Bormet
WVU - Mitchell Port
Penn State - Nick Lee
Iowa State - Kevin Dresser
Oklahoma - Roger Kish, Austin Marsden
Purdue - Leroy Vega
Ohio State - J Jaggers
Arizona State - Lee Pritts
North Carolina - Ben Darmstadt, Tony Ramos, Rob Koll, Dr. Enock Francois
Several schools (including PSU) had an assistant initiate contact.

Will be interesting to see if any make the finalist list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT