ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Recruiting underway

That theory isn't worth the paper to wipe...
A couple of FLO fanboys trying to make Iowa recruiting relevant.

Has Bassett had any issue sharing the spotlight with his McCort teammates? It seems to me that he wants to surround himself with the best talent to train with. Hell, he and Jax were at the same weight for a short time.

I don't know anything about where he's going but I'm pretty sure I know as much about his destination as those guys.
Beyond what you said, all of which is true, this is silly. Show of hands, who would've turned away Carter for the various things he's said over the years? I thought so.

This is looking more and more like another PSU Doomsday cycle -- where some people need to invent reasons to dislike him, so if he lands elsewhere they can say they didn't want him anyway.

Not sure I agree on the other parts of your post, but the optics of posting who called and when seems odd to me. It makes me uncomfortable a little.
Where were the people complaining about Knox doing exactly the same thing last year on the Flo video?

I doubt that will be the case. I believe Bill will still be coaching Bo’s younger brother.
Plus I don't think Bill has the chops to be a high level D1 coach. I'm not trying to put him down cause he built a nice program at BMC and The Compound. But high level D1 is a whole nother animal.

Has Bassett had any issue sharing the spotlight with his McCort teammates? It seems to me that he wants to surround himself with the best talent to train with. Hell, he and Jax were at the same weight for a short time.

I don't know anything about where he's going but I'm pretty sure I know as much about his destination as those guys.
I think the "face of the program" take is based on a lot of speculative inference over the fact that he is very polished on social media, starting a few years ago even. But I don't think one necessarily follows the other and it seems a bit unfair to saddle him with a characterization many are already concluding amounts to selfishness. That he's good on social media is a mere data point, and not much of one. Short of him verbally expressing a desire to be the "face of a program" it's rash to make that jump.

“Face of the program” thing is utter BS. It’s a residual impact from other factors.

Reactions: Delcolion915
I think the "face of the program" take is based on a lot of speculative inference over the fact that he is very polished on social media, starting a few years ago even. But I don't think one necessarily follows the other and it seems a bit unfair to saddle him with a characterization many are already concluding amounts to selfishness. That he's good on social media is a mere data point, and not much of one. Short of him verbally expressing a desire to be the "face of a program" it's rash to make that jump.
Even if he does say it, he's plenty smart enough to know that you don't become the face of the program unless you're having a really good career. Get the results, then get the publicity.

That is, unless you're at Iowa, in which case you can be the face of the program without even being on the team.

Even if he does say it, he's plenty smart enough to know that you don't become the face of the program unless you're having a really good career. Get the results, then get the publicity.

That is, unless you're at Iowa, in which case you can be the face of the program without even being on the team.
Or the ass of the program so to speak

It's wild how many people seem to know Bo Bassett personally. They know his personality, his desires and his entire thought process.
I was thinking the same thing. I watch a lot of HS wrestling, interviews and stuff. I only ever seen Bo a handful of times live but listened to him in it seems like a hundred interviews. To me he seems like a great person, light years ahead mentality & maturity, and gosh he is a maniac on the mat. I think the strange push back must be jealousy for some reason. Comparing him to Teasdale might be the craziest thing ever posted on this site. Other than scoring points and winning they couldn’t be more opposite with their live styles and approach to the sport.

I don’t know this but can’t guarantee Cael, Cody and Casey all probably love Bo and Jax. They are in the room constantly and always seem to battle the top guys. So to say you don’t like him, you are a minority and if he chooses Blue and white, you will most likely be getting a pic with him.

The kid has more threads dedicated to him on this page and most college teams message board than anyone. I am wishful but feel we land Bo, Jax and Marcus. Well two of three

I am already getting tired of the Bassett approach and things have just started.

To be clear calling him is of course a must, but his complete bullshit there are 30 schools in consideration is almost a red flag. Realistically, 4-5 at most, why not just be honest for Christ sake, and not burn precious $$$ from some of these smaller programs just to get wined and dined.

The talent is emmense but the presentation has the "it's all about me" flavor that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

All of this tells me he emotionally 'needs' to be the face of a program, not just one of the many greats. Unfortunately we have seen this before and IMO Bo is even worse.

I could be wrong but the optics are poor.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting something, but this seems like a strange take.

So on the first day of official recruiting for 2026, Bassett gets a ton of calls from college coaches. Shocker. Do you expect him to immediately tell most of these coaches to go pound sand? Maybe Bassett is enjoying the process a little too much for your liking, but it's literally the second frickin' day of the official recruiting period. Let it play out a bit; Bassett will eventually narrow things down for public consumption (which hopefully will appease you).

And as others have pointed out, Bassett's list is no worse than Anthony Knox allowing Flo into his home to shoot video of the build up to the midnight phone calls.

I was thinking the same thing. I watch a lot of HS wrestling, interviews and stuff. I only ever seen Bo a handful of times live but listened to him in it seems like a hundred interviews. To me he seems like a great person, light years ahead mentality & maturity, and gosh he is a maniac on the mat. I think the strange push back must be jealousy for some reason. Comparing him to Teasdale might be the craziest thing ever posted on this site. Other than scoring points and winning they couldn’t be more opposite with their live styles and approach to the sport.

I don’t know this but can’t guarantee Cael, Cody and Casey all probably love Bo and Jax. They are in the room constantly and always seem to battle the top guys. So to say you don’t like him, you are a minority and if he chooses Blue and white, you will most likely be getting a pic with him.

The kid has more threads dedicated to him on this page and most college teams message board than anyone. I am wishful but feel we land Bo, Jax and Marcus. Well two of three
I was only comparing him to Teasdale regarding his wrestling style and winning - he absolutely had that “machine gun” mentality Bassett talks about. He was killing kids with the pace and intensity - and then it all went south.

I, like everyone, hope Bo stays on his current, very successful path, but burnout can happen all the time. Maybe the lifestyle isn’t out of the ordinary for any of these top, top kids but it’s magnified with Bo because of his overwhelming social media presence.

There literally couldn't be a better match between a school and wrestler in a while than PSU/Bassett

1. He couldn't say enough good things about the room and how he feels embraced and accepted by every single person
2. He's a Western PA kid born and bred, his family is firmly entrenched here and his brother will be going to McCort when he wrestles in college
3. He fits the lineup perfectly actually (and honestly, I don't think he's worried either way)
4. He has strong faith as evidenced by his recent Jesus designed shirt

Reasons I keep hearing about why he won't come to PSU relate to guesses on his thought process (he doesn't want to be a number at PSU, he wants the biggest brand and following, he wants to do something different than join the bandwagon) Not denying you can draw some of those conclusions. Maybe they're right but okay, I can flip it and say "I see a kid who is determined to just be the best, cares about family and faith and want to be in a place where wrestling is a fun process also"

All in all? I think everything right now is a guess and the kid wants to grow his brand during his recruitment so he's going to take his time and he's earned it.

There literally couldn't be a better match between a school and wrestler in a while than PSU/Bassett

1. He couldn't say enough good things about the room and how he feels embraced and accepted by every single person
2. He's a Western PA kid born and bred, his family is firmly entrenched here and his brother will be going to McCort when he wrestles in college
3. He fits the lineup perfectly actually (and honestly, I don't think he's worried either way)

Reasons I keep hearing about why he won't come to PSU relate to guesses on his thought process (he doesn't want to be a number at PSU, he wants the biggest brand and following, he wants to do something different than join the bandwagon) Not denying you can draw some of those conclusions. Maybe they're right but okay, I can flip it and say "I see a kid who is determined to just be the best, cares about family and faith and want to be in a place where wrestling is a fun process also"

All in all? I think everything right now is a guess and the kid wants to grow his brand during his recruitment so he's going to take his time and he's earned it.
Now this is a good take. I’ve been very curmudgeonly about this.

Bo seems like a great kid to me. He appears to be hard working, extremely disciplined, humble, especially in his losses, respectful, and a good role model for younger wrestlers. And specifically, I have no issue with him listing all the D1 college wrestling programs as his list. I viewed it two ways; a lighthearted way to do something different than what the typical high-level recruit does during recruiting season and a respectful gesture to acknowledge all the D1 wrestling programs out there, especially the lower profile ones.

Gee.....bringing a rational take to this board from someone whose job literally is dealing with facts and not hearsay or opinions. Such a novel approach, but I doubt it works :)

You go to Penn State to be your best vs. the best and win individual and team championships at all levels…. Pretty simple and the only program that can offer that. You go elsewhere if that’s not what you want from a college experience.

Reactions: Sullivan
For me, it comes down to two things with Bassett. The kid’s faith and he loves to wrestle. He loves to practice. He loves to compete. I think he goes to the place where he has the most high-level partners, partners that share his goals and faith. Face of the program and social media are all just window dressing.

He is a kid, a very good wrestler, but a kid. My problem with social media is people seem to forget he is a young person beginning his journey to a college decision. That can be a huge decision for any kid, let alone one with such name recognition already.Let him be a kid, enjoy the process and he will narrow things down in his own timeframe.

People in general will at times bristle at others' sucesses. Adults can and do come unglued at a kid's success, especially if the kid doesn't for some reason meet the adult's expectations.

I don't know the kid, but Bo Bassett is a helluva wrestler and despite his outward self-confidence and high success level appears to be a very polite and humble young man. I am not sure I completely understand the hostility. I hope he chooses to wrestle at PSU, if not oh well. Best of luck to him either way.

A little off topic but still recruiting, Mario Hutcherson who is an incoming freshman in the wpial just won Greco and freestyle in El Salvador and I’m not sure he surrendered a point. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one. The next wave.
That’s my little cousin. He dominated the field in El Salvador. He’s looking to be a 4-time PA state champ. He’s coming…

Does anyone know anything about Jax's little brother who Jax mentioned in a recent interview. Age? Any good?
Jamison is in 7th. He went 1-2 at PJW JH states this year at 103lbs. He dropped to 97lbs for Keystones and took 6th. Won his first two, then lost 3-0 to Gabe Benyo in the semis, lost the consi semi 3-1 to AJ Kane of Council Rock and lost the 5th/6th to Kagan Painter of Grove City 7-5.

Jamison is in 7th. He went 1-2 at PJW JH states this year at 103lbs. He dropped to 97lbs for Keystones and took 6th. Won his first two, then lost 3-0 to Gabe Benyo in the semis, lost the consi semi 3-1 to AJ Kane of Council Rock and lost the 5th/6th to Kagan Painter of Grove City 7-5.
The younger Forrest boys may be a reason Jax stays close to Johnstown...or it may not. I'd personally like to see Howard Forest and Bill Bassett keep building the McCort program.

giphy.gif
He’s with Young Guns so you know where some may want him to go.

Reactions: Law-Deezie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT