ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Recruiting underway

Willie on today's Baschamania had a lot to say about the Bassett themes -- "not a fit," "not a team guy," "face of the program," etc. -- to sugar-coat it, he thinks they're idiotic.

That aside, the whole episode is worth a listen. Other highlights:
- Willie and Justin got a huge laugh out of @johnstownsteel's pre-emptive asterisk post on GIA.
- Iowa is aggressively courting guys both in and not in the portal. (Side note: schools are not allowed to contact athletes not in the portal.)
- Iowa initially wouldn't take Parco without Teemer -- they said both or none. Teemer never entered the portal. Eventually Iowa gave in and took Parco by himself.
- Willie thinks Ayala is going 133.
- Iowa offered a bag to Matt Ramos to be their next 125. He declined.
- Iowa is trying to flip OKST commit LaDarion Lockett, 2025 top 5 guy from Stilly High.
- Lockett recently spent a week training at Ames. Word got around. Lockett acknowledged it but didn't reaffirm his commitment to OKST.

And in PSU Alum news, Cenzo's role at UNC is changing -- he's going to be the Recruiting Director. Not clear if that's on top of being RTC Director or a switch.

I agree with Willie. Bassett has never showed any signs of not being a great teammate and all about his team. Willie great episode and take. There are lots of jealousy on the net for anyone at top. This isn’t just for wrestling though, it’s for anything and everything. That was a great podcast. Thanks for sharing

I agree with Willie. Bassett has never showed any signs of not being a great teammate and all about his team. Willie great episode and take. There are lots of jealousy on the net for anyone at top. This isn’t just for wrestling though, it’s for anything and everything. That was a great podcast. Thanks for sharing
Agreed on Willie's take. But I am not sure it's the jealousy part though. It seems more like a lot of these critics are from Penn State fans. They have gotten so spoiled that being a #1 or #2 recruit is not good enough. Now, the recruit has to walk on water too. I am so glad some of these fans don't work as a recruiter for the team.

Got to send Bo well wishes at Worlds yesterday. Him and his Pops were outside doing the wheel barrel push around the block. He's a great kid and seemed genuinely happy I stopped to let him know everyone is in his corner.

As for any posts I've ever made about Bo, I've made it clear every coach in the country loves the kid and wants him...Cael included. I'm just trying to tell people PSU its not a guarantee and the nutcases out there need to prepare themselves if it doesn't happen. We don't need another Spencer Lee type episode with people trying to run him down if he goes elsewhere. Also, Cael is the man...he will get his and the train will keep chugging along just fine.

Also, I do like Jax a little better but they are #1 and #2 so it's just opinion. I'll admit. I expected to see a little grown spurt from Jax by now so not sure if he will get to 149 by freshman year in college. If not and we could somehow land Blaze, I might change my mind and prefer Bo.

Got to send Bo well wishes at Worlds yesterday. Him and his Pops were outside doing the wheel barrel push around the block. He's a great kid and seemed genuinely happy I stopped to let him know everyone is in his corner.

As for any posts I've ever made about Bo, I've made it clear every coach in the country loves the kid and wants him...Cael included. I'm just trying to tell people PSU its not a guarantee and the nutcases out there need to prepare themselves if it doesn't happen. We don't need another Spencer Lee type episode with people trying to run him down if he goes elsewhere. Also, Cael is the man...he will get his and the train will keep chugging along just fine.

Also, I do like Jax a little better but they are #1 and #2 so it's just opinion. I'll admit. I expected to see a little grown spurt from Jax by now so not sure if he will get to 149 by freshman year in college. If not and we could somehow land Blaze, I might change my mind and prefer Bo.
We sometimes show our HR side and it does bother me.
I like if a kid comes to Penn State and I instantly am a fan. If a kid goes someplace else, oh well best of luck. I will root for my guys.

Understanding the psychology of the dismissive beatdown of those who elect to go elsewhere or my God, even those who MAY go elsewhere is easily understood but you would think we as adult fans could do better.

People saying crap about Bassett on here are either trolls or people who have a personal beef. The kids is an elite HS kid, right now. What team wouldnt want him? Now putting more expectations on him than he probably puts on himself, before he steps foot on the D 1 mat, is comical. Just in the last 10 yes how many kids got to their respective colleges were fans and media were proclaiming them sure 4xs or multiple champs? Who has actually said this about the 4xs and multiple champs we’ve seen in last 10 yrs? Not many.

People saying crap about Bassett on here are either trolls or people who have a personal beef. The kids is an elite HS kid, right now. What team wouldnt want him? Now putting more expectations on him than he probably puts on himself, before he steps foot on the D 1 mat, is comical. Just in the last 10 yes how many kids got to their respective colleges were fans and media were proclaiming them sure 4xs or multiple champs? Who has actually said this about the 4xs and multiple champs we’ve seen in last 10 yrs? Not many.
One other option: they're afraid of what happens if we don't land him, so they're trying to convince themselves that we don't want him anyway.

You'd think all of those titles would've bought some confidence in Cael.

Agreed on Willie's take. But I am not sure it's the jealousy part though. seems more like a lot of these critics are from Penn State fans. They have gotten so spoiled that being a #1 or #2 recruit is not good enough. Now, the recruit has to walk on water too. I am so glad some of these fans don't work as a recruiter for the team.
For some it may just be as simple as his social media is annoying , yeah he is an elite wrestler. Also I get it that there are many on social media that worst are annoying and for me regardless if they wrestle for Penn state or others I find it annoying. I may be some old guy out of step with today's culture but so what.

For some it may just be as simple as his social media is annoying , yeah he is an elite wrestler. Also I get it that there are many on social media that worst are annoying and for me regardless if they wrestle for Penn state or others I find it annoying. I may be some old guy out of step with today's culture but so what.
Yeah, the social media stuff isn't my thing but I've accepted its a young persons sport and us old timers ain't the future of the sport and these kids don't give a damn what I think. Lol And I'm pretty sure we aren't his intended audience nor am I the one he's generating income from.

For some it may just be as simple as his social media is annoying
Serious questions:
  1. What could be considered annoying?
  2. Does the fact it annoys, say more about the annoyed than Bo?
I am in the mid 80s alumni ballpark, and I just don't understand why someone my age would be annoyed by someone a grand kid's age's social media presence, like Bo's.

First, I realize I am not his target audience. Second, from the little I've seen posted here, he's not putting out any kind of know-it-all shock for shock's sake hot takes, which might invite criticism. Lastly, I can treat it like 99.999% of the world does most social media feeds, and completely ignore it.

I guess I just don't get.

Is it jealousy? Is it personal belief that "humility," as a paramount virtue, isn't somehow being satisfactorily satisfied?

I don't feel or believe either.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
Agreed on Willie's take. But I am not sure it's the jealousy part though. It seems more like a lot of these critics are from Penn State fans. They have gotten so spoiled that being a #1 or #2 recruit is not good enough. Now, the recruit has to walk on water too. I am so glad some of these fans don't work as a recruiter for the team.
Spoiled. That’s about the long and short of it.

It’s like, even if any wrestler is actually a headache, and is a bad fit, and isn’t what the team wants, it’s pretty easy to cut bait and move on. Not that I think any of these recruits are any of it, but worst case you still shouldn’t just make judgements on things like social media content.

I'll admit Bo is a perfect follow if you're a fan that loves to see the behind the scenes stuff. Bo shares everything almost to a fault. Cael and his program are tight lipped about a lot of things and gives off a "we keep our business behind closed doors" type vibe. I laugh when Ben Askren shares stories how Cael will reach out to him for his thoughts and opinions on things yet when Ben asks for an opinion back Cael never answers him. Lol. I guess if I thought Bo wouldn't be a good fit it would be because Cael doesn't want anything and everything out there on social media. I'm sure Bo would oblige tho...

Ok, let's get a list of those talking crap about Bo and let's separate the accounts into two groups; those that have existed for 6 months or more and those with less then 6 months which I'll refer to as trolls for this tally (I'm sure most aren't trolls but let's just consider those we know aren't trolls).

Considering only the non-troll group, my guess is we have no more than 5 accounts that have been critical, yet we have many, many pages of consternation. So, let's list those handles that have been talking crap.

Other than Flo and Willie attempting to start or keep things going, I can only think of two posters that have contributed to the talking crap. Goggles and NittanyChris. It seems to me that everyone else is merely countering or commenting on things those two started.

So, who else is guilty?

Where's the sigh emoji???
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

If Bassett wants big time NIL ,he probably not coming to psu. If he wants to win and wrestle in the best room in the country it's a done deal.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Ok, let's get a list of those talking crap about Bo and let's separate the accounts into two groups; those that have existed for 6 months or more and those with less then 6 months which I'll refer to as trolls for this tally (I'm sure most aren't trolls but let's just consider those we know aren't trolls).

Considering only the non-troll group, my guess is we have no more than 5 accounts that have been critical, yet we have many, many pages of consternation. So, let's list those handles that have been talking crap.

Other than Flo and Willie attempting to start or keep things going, I can only think of two posters that have contributed to the talking crap. Goggles and NittanyChris. It seems to me that everyone else is merely countering or commenting on things those two started.

So, who else is guilty?
The Child D GIF by Disney+

More specifically, the message board way. Someone posts a bad take. Multiple pages ensue where most everyone says its a bad take, and eventually people imagine this is some giant debate between factions when it's the super majority vs a few guys.

If Bassett wants big time NIL ,he probably not coming to psu. If he wants to win and wrestle in the best room in the country it's a done deal.
Bo's NIL income has already started and he isn't going to need a huge bag. He will just need those people who know better to stay out of his way.

Willie on today's Baschamania had a lot to say about the Bassett themes -- "not a fit," "not a team guy," "face of the program," etc. -- to sugar-coat it, he thinks they're idiotic.

That aside, the whole episode is worth a listen. Other highlights:
- Willie and Justin got a huge laugh out of @johnstownsteel's pre-emptive asterisk post on GIA.
- Iowa is aggressively courting guys both in and not in the portal. (Side note: schools are not allowed to contact athletes not in the portal.)
- Iowa initially wouldn't take Parco without Teemer -- they said both or none. Teemer never entered the portal. Eventually Iowa gave in and took Parco by himself.
- Willie thinks Ayala is going 133.
- Iowa offered a bag to Matt Ramos to be their next 125. He declined.
- Iowa is trying to flip OKST commit LaDarion Lockett, 2025 top 5 guy from Stilly High.
- Lockett recently spent a week training at Ames. Word got around. Lockett acknowledged it but didn't reaffirm his commitment to OKST.

And in PSU Alum news, Cenzo's role at UNC is changing -- he's going to be the Recruiting Director. Not clear if that's on top of being RTC Director or a switch.

Also..they mentioned the FRL episode a week ago when across the board all the Flo guys said Bo to Iowa. Willie and Basch were as shocked as I was with that take.

I can't see Bo going to Iowa at all. My opinion..it will be PSU, tOSU or OSU. Hope we land him as he's a hammer with a strong mindset that will only get better.

Also..they mentioned the FRL episode a week ago when across the board all the Flo guys said Bo to Iowa. Willie and Basch were as shocked as I was with that take.

I can't see Bo going to Iowa at all. My opinion..it will be PSU, tOSU or OSU. Hope we land him as he's a hammer with a strong mindset that will only get better.
He is not going to Iowa.

I won't say Flo is stirring the pot but they said Iowa very matter of factly like the kid has verbaled there before 6/15 even and is just taking other visits for fun. They acted like Bo going to PSU would be a huge surprise but did the "I guess since it's PSU, they're a factor" Made no mention of the fact he's in the PSU room significantly as is. Just "the kid wants to be the face of a program with the largest fanbase"

Then they made almost no mention of Ohio State, who many felt could be the leader if anything (all the boxes are checked there, face of program, good NIL, good partners, close to home) or Ok State, who is obviously the shiny new object who Bo clearly is petitioning to get recruited by.

The Cactus channel brothers think Bo is going to Rutgers. There's that...

I already resigned to the fact we are not getting him. If we do it's a plus for sure if not we will still win championships

Reactions: johnstownsteel
One other option: they're afraid of what happens if we don't land him, so they're trying to convince themselves that we don't want him anyway.

You'd think all of those titles would've bought some confidence in Cael.
It's kinda like making a bet against your favorite football team.

Wait is this for real? I was always wondering if you lived by him.

Love or hate this kid, you have to respect him. I watched a video of him today at a camp somewhere. He took off his shoes and gave them to a camper. Some little kid. I agree with posters above, if you talk trash on this kid it’s out of jealousy for some unknown reason.

on the flip side, he was spotted in the room working with the NLWC boys so that’s a good sign.

If this is the worst behavior any PSU recruits have moving forward, we are blessed.
He wrestles fearlessly, trains hard, and promotes those attributes on social media. I'll take it!
For the record, I want the kid. He's the driver of the bus.

I’m thinking he could end up in Stillwater. Bo has spent years in the PSU room already and may want a new atmosphere with familiar faces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT