ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Recruiting underway

I’m thinking he could end up in Stillwater. Bo has spent years in the PSU room already and may want a new atmosphere with familiar faces.

I see a very low probability of OK State. Bo will want his family nearby.

His dad is a high school coach and has been a part of his wrestling since day one. His brother is very talented. I don't see them uprooting the family.

Furthermore, Bo wants to be a World and Olympic champion. There isn't a better place to reach his goals than State College.

Last edited:
Wait is this for real? I was always wondering if you lived by him.

Love or hate this kid, you have to respect him. I watched a video of him today at a camp somewhere. He took off his shoes and gave them to a camper. Some little kid. I agree with posters above, if you talk trash on this kid it’s out of jealousy for some unknown reason.

on the flip side, he was spotted in the room working with the NLWC boys so that’s a good sign.
yeah, just a few minutes up the road from me.

Reactions: BrockBronson
This is cool. You can keep everyone posted in August what coaches come buzzing through.
Johnstown will be a popular place soon.
Hell I was told Brands showed up on JTS' porch carring a newly minted black t-shirt with bold yellow lettering reading "Paid Iowa Hater" as a present and has been staying with the Steel family just so he can give Bo a cup of water as he runs by in the morning.

This is cool. You can keep everyone posted in August what coaches come buzzing through.
Johnstown will be a popular place soon.
Coaches have been coming here for a few years now. Ryan and Goodale are two I've seen. Ryan at Sheetz. Lol. Wrestling in this area was never really a hot bed in comparison to many parts of PA. We had Carlton and a couple others but until this current McCort crew, very few D1 wrestlers came from here. Strittmatter and his club really helped in developing kids from here.

Coaches have been coming here for a few years now. Ryan and Goodale are two I've seen. Ryan at Sheetz. Lol. Wrestling in this area was never really a hot bed in comparison to many parts of PA. We had Carlton and a couple others but until this current McCort crew, very few D1 wrestlers came from here. Strittmatter and his club really helped in developing kids from here.
Keep the spike strip handy.

Shit, and I thought all seven had a legitimate chance. Truly spine tingling each week.

PS - wake me up in August. Prediction. Once we get closer, the number of schools dropped will reduce each week, this could take a while.
Disney Blooming GIF by filmeditor

I’m thinking he could end up in Stillwater. Bo has spent years in the PSU room already and may want a new atmosphere with familiar faces.
So Bassett is 2+ years from enrolling in college and he already needs a break from the PSU room? Sheesh.

I remember a kid from Union City back when I was in school who played football at 145 and would cut to 112 for wrestling. He was a 3x SQ, 1x medalist and was recruited to wrestle for Edinboro. My wife was classmates with him and said he wasn’t able to wrestle for Edinboro because the weight cuts ravaged his kidneys and whatnot

It may seem crazy but it is really not all that uncommon for kids to wrestle 30lbs over their previous season weight during the offseason. Combination of cutting too much weight, growth spurts and wrestling "fat" in the offseason. Probably not a good thing but it is the way things are currently

I remember a kid from Union City back when I was in school who played football at 145 and would cut to 112 for wrestling. He was a 3x SQ, 1x medalist and was recruited to wrestle for Edinboro. My wife was classmates with him and said he wasn’t able to wrestle for Edinboro because the weight cuts ravaged his kidneys and whatnot
When I was a sophomore, I wrestled 126. We had a senior who was wrestling 112 because 119 was our best wrestler (and only state qualifier in the school history), so he cut to 112 to have a starting spot. I could basically rag doll him when he was that weak and sucked down, but then he passed out from dehydration at practice and had to spend a night in the hospital where he was recertified at 126. He challenged me for my spot when he got back to practice and beat me easily. Especially back then (in the 80s), people didn't realize how much strength and energy big weight cuts sap from your body and that you're usually way better off not doing it. I think/hope people have a better understanding of that now in today's sports science culture.

When I was a sophomore, I wrestled 126. We had a senior who was wrestling 112 because 119 was our best wrestler (and only state qualifier in the school history), so he cut to 112 to have a starting spot. I could basically rag doll him when he was that weak and sucked down, but then he passed out from dehydration at practice and had to spend a night in the hospital where he was recertified at 126. He challenged me for my spot when he got back to practice and beat me easily. Especially back then (in the 80s), people didn't realize how much strength and energy big weight cuts sap from your body and that you're usually way better off not doing it. I think/hope people have a better understanding of that now in today's sports science culture.
Indeed, and with the light weights we are taking about small kids with 5% body fat. 7 lbs might as well be like cutting part of an arm off. It will be really interesting to see if Davis is a slightly different animal this year as a result.

Cenzo?

Seriously, IDK about offaeason weigh-ins. But David Taylor went from a 130 HS SR in March to a 157 true FR in Oct/Nov.
DT wrestled at 135 as a senior in high school, at least in the state championship.

Regardless, the OP said competing 30 lbs heavier in the offseason than wrestled in season was not uncommon. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I’ll need several actual examples to agree. Not that anyone cares whether I agree or not, of course.

Oh, I would never undersell Cael’s competitiveness. It’s just that this massive dynasty they’ve built, the culture, the family have all made it so the top kids know full well where they should go to optimize their chances of attaining the very highest wrestling goals. They’ve built it to the point where the program sells itself and showing up anywhere at midnight is no longer necessary. Aren’t we lucky? 😃
That's been Tom's demise.

DT wrestled at 135 as a senior in high school, at least in the state championship.

Regardless, the OP said competing 30 lbs heavier in the offseason than wrestled in season was not uncommon. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I’ll need several actual examples to agree. Not that anyone cares whether I agree or not, of course.
When I say kids I mean HS just to make that clear. College kids don't do that. I will give example of season to season changes and offseason. I will start in district one because that is what I follow most closely. Brandon Carr was a state qualifier at 145 as a sophmore and 172 as a Junior and was competing in the 170s during the offseason. Michael Spielman DNP at regions as a Freshman 152 then took 8th at AAA states as a Sophomore, also someone who competed in that offseason around 30lbs heavier. Two very recent examples and some of Diceman's boys are Ben Brillhart and Pat Woloshyn. Brillhart was a state qualifier at 145 this season who a week ago at Waterway Duals was at 174, Pat Woloshyn would likely have placed top 6 at states at 127 but missed regionals and he was at 154 at Waterway. In 2023 Cole Coffin was at 113 for PIAA States at 138 for Freestyle States (only 25 lbs but close enough). Back in 2019 Kyle Waterman (Shoutout Diceman again) wrestled 106 at PIAA States then 132 at Freestyle States before he went 126 in the postseason. I don't have an offseason citation because it is older example and the brackets are harder to find but Sam Hayes went from 126 at PIAA States as a sophomore to 152 to start his junior season.
These were just what came to me off the top of my head I can give you more and from other districts but those I would have to look for. Also lots of times guys will cut for the bigger offseason tournaments but wrestle their walking around weights for some of the smaller ones that brackets would be even harder to find. That is normally where you see 30+ lb differences. I feel it does happen enough that I am still surprised when I see it but not blown away.

[/QUOTE]

We had a kid that was extraordinarily, physically gifted, but was I think "a bad seed". Now a lifelong resident of the Dept. of Corrections.

One of the few kids that could do the rope clime all the way, even as a freshman. His match weight weight was 119 and in January was spotted two pounds.

Coach had weigh-ins on Thursday (I think) and this kid came in over 130. He spent most of his free time over the next two days with a rubber suit and expectorant gum.

Made 121 on Saturday night. Was completely gassed and got sick on the mat. Still remember them wiping the mat down with a towel. I'm sure today that would demand a bio-hazard team.

Even with weight-class qualification and hydration tests, I still think there's an unhealthy obsession with weight-reduction in some places.

Pat Woloshyn, CR South - wrestled 127 in postseason and last week wrestled 154 at Waterway. I'm in my car waiting for my tank to fill so you'll have to wait until later for me to give you more. But there's more.

And he's a good example of why it can be a problem. Handled the eventual state 6th place finisher easily at sections ( as well as owning a win over the 5th) before withdrawing the next week at Regions. Just couldn't make the weight any more.

These kids grow fast. Especially when they are around 16.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT