ADVERTISEMENT

3-way tie-breaking update

“Simple fact” if you ignore that they had the better resume…also, what was involved in this “lobbying” effort?
I’m not arguing that Ohio State shouldn’t have gotten in. PSU should’ve gotten in over Washington that year.

But there was some underhanded stuff done by Delany. Joel Klatt, who was on the podium after the 2016 B1G Championship game with Delany, said that Delany lobbied against PSU on the podium as he was about to award PSU their trophy. Klatt was on Clay Travis’s “Outkick the Coverage” and revealed that Delany said he didn’t think conference champions should get an auto bid. Even if Delany believed that, why would he say that to a member of the media who has some influence? I couldn’t imagine the SEC commissioner lobbying against his conference champion, on the podium, to a prominent member of the media.

Reactions: johnmpsu
I’m not arguing that Ohio State shouldn’t have gotten in. PSU should’ve gotten in over Washington that year.

But there was some underhanded stuff done by Delany. Joel Klatt, who was on the podium after the 2016 B1G Championship game with Delany, said that Delany lobbied against PSU on the podium as he was about to award PSU their trophy. Klatt was on Clay Travis’s “Outkick the Coverage” and revealed that Delany said he didn’t think conference champions should get an auto bid. Even if Delany believed that, why would he say that to a member of the media who has some influence? I couldn’t imagine the SEC commissioner lobbying against his conference champion, on the podium, to a prominent member of the media.
If someone like Tennessee won the SEC at 11-2 you better bet the SEC would be pushing a 1-loss Georgia over them because they have better odds of getting in.

Your first statement is absolutely true. Ohio State should have been 3 and we should have been 4.

PSU as champions of the Big 10. It's even in the so called "commitees" own criteria. When you see them ignore their own selection criteria you realize what a joke it is. Until there are actual fixed criteria for getting in it will always be nothing more than an end of season tournament. If I was running the world the teams in would only be conference winners. No lucky losers allowed but that won't happen for one simple reason, money.

The committee has chosen teams based on (order of importance):

1. Power 5 teams with fewest losses
2. Teams winning their conference
3. Winning a conference championship game has more value than winning a conference without a championship game

Apply those criteria and you basically can determine the entrants. If there is a tie for the last spot then they might start considering strength of schedule, worse loss/best win, etc but hasn’t really needed that

If someone like Tennessee won the SEC at 11-2 you better bet the SEC would be pushing a 1-loss Georgia over them because they have better odds of getting in.

Your first statement is absolutely true. Ohio State should have been 3 and we should have been 4.
The SEC commissioner would’ve been pushing both. That’s his job.

I'm not convinced he didn't try to get both in
But in that scenario Georgia would be the priority just like Ohio State was--right? It's the most likely option.
i'm not convinced either, but also would not be surprised if Delany lobbied for osu over psu and/or did nothing to support a psu bid. that old guard in the B1G did not like psu at all

I'm not convinced he didn't try to get both in
But in that scenario Georgia would be the priority just like Ohio State was--right? It's the most likely option.
It is not an either or proposition. It’s push both as hard as possible because that’s what’s best for your conference. You don’t need to say that your conference champ doesn’t deserve to be in. Even if you believe that, you don’t say that. Klatt even mentioned he was baffled by him talking smack about a conference champ moments before he hands over his conference championship trophy.

The fact is the B1G sucks. It’s their attachment to the Rose Bowl that largely prevented a move to a playoff. Their insistence that OSU-Michigan not play in a title game is what has created the uneven divisions, which is the laughing stock of the college football world. Not to mention that over the last 20 years, the conference has produced a grand total of 1 national championship in sports that garner attention and generate money (football and basketball).

Reactions: johnmpsu
It is not an either or proposition. It’s push both as hard as possible because that’s what’s best for your conference. You don’t need to say that your conference champ doesn’t deserve to be in. Even if you believe that, you don’t say that. Klatt even mentioned he was baffled by him talking smack about a conference champ moments before he hands over his conference championship trophy.

The fact is the B1G sucks. It’s their attachment to the Rose Bowl that largely prevented a move to a playoff. Their insistence that OSU-Michigan not play in a title game is what has created the uneven divisions, which is the laughing stock of the college football world. Not to mention that over the last 20 years, the conference has produced a grand total of 1 national championship in sports that garner attention and generate money (football and basketball).
We disagree there--you have to sell the number 1 option more.
I disagree with most of your second paragraph. The Big XII also had the same issue with division. The Big Ten tried to put Ohio State and Michigan in separate divisions and then people complained they were catering to them by doing that. They can't win.
I do agree the Pac XII and Big Ten obsession with the Rose was problematic so I'm glad the Pac XII died
Regardless we need the Big Ten far more than they need us. $$$$

We disagree there--you have to sell the number 1 option more.
I disagree with most of your second paragraph. The Big XII also had the same issue with division. The Big Ten tried to put Ohio State and Michigan in separate divisions and then people complained they were catering to them by doing that. They can't win.
I do agree the Pac XII and Big Ten obsession with the Rose was problematic so I'm glad the Pac XII died
Regardless we need the Big Ten far more than they need us. $$$$
Why? What prevents you from pushing both? All you have to say, “we play 9 conference games and our schedule is the most difficult. We have earned two spots.” This isn’t mutually exclusive. You don’t have to believe it, but part of your job as commissioner is to promote your conference.

Of course the B1G money is great. It’s the only great thing about the conference. Money isn’t a substitute for success on the field.

Why? What prevents you from pushing both? All you have to say, “we play 9 conference games and our schedule is the most difficult. We have earned two spots.” This isn’t mutually exclusive. You don’t have to believe it, but part of your job as commissioner is to promote your conference.

Of course the B1G money is great. It’s the only great thing about the conference. Money isn’t a substitute for success on the field.
it has never been a great conference and I don't think the expanded version will be stable if someone like Oregon emerges as the top football power. I give it five years before it contracts

And they say "which team do you feel is more deserving?" We all should know that answer wasn't us. We had more losses, a bad loss to Pitt and got slaughtered by Michigan. Sell Ohio State to ensure one then pitch Penn State hard against Washington which I'm sure he did. Pretending he should have tried to push them equally is illogical. It's not even feasible.

We aren't winning national titles in any conference so we should be happy with the money. The Big Ten has been well represented in the playoff and that will continue moving forward.

I'm interested in listening to this podcast...was this recent, something back in 2016, or sometime in between?

And they say "which team do you feel is more deserving?" We all should know that answer wasn't us. We had more losses, a bad loss to Pitt and got slaughtered by Michigan. Sell Ohio State to ensure one then pitch Penn State hard against Washington which I'm sure he did. Pretending he should have tried to push them equally is illogical. It's not even feasible.

We aren't winning national titles in any conference so we should be happy with the money. The Big Ten has been well represented in the playoff and that will continue moving forward.
Nobody is saying “which team is more deserving”. You make the case for both. I’m sure the years that Bama and Georgia were both in the playoff the SEC commissioner didn’t think it was ”illogical” to push both. In fact he went on tv and said they both deserved to be in. Not that hard to understand.

PSU had football success before the Big Ten, and it will have the same winning percentage when the B1G ceases to exist when there is a single college commissioner in a few years. Being a part of the B1G has had little to no impact on PSU’s success or lack thereof.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying “which team is more deserving”. You make the case for both. I’m sure the years that Bama and Georgia were both in the playoff the SEC commissioner didn’t think it was ”illogical” to push both. In fact he went on tv and said they both deserved to be in. Not that hard to understand.

PSU had football success before the Big Ten, and it will have the same winning percentage when the B1G ceases to exist when there is a single college commissioner in a few years. Being a part of the B1G has had little to no impact on PSU’s success or lack thereof.
He pushed Georgia and Bama but still had one higher than the other. He pushed Bama last year I'm sure but Georgia was first.
I'd love there not to be conferences but pretending the Big Ten was anything but a positive is illogical. It's all about $ its the only reason to be in a conference

He pushed Georgia and Bama but still had one higher than the other. He pushed Bama last year I'm sure but Georgia was first.
I'd love there not to be conferences but pretending the Big Ten was anything but a positive is illogical. It's all about $ its the only reason to be in a conference
Show me where he puts one higher than the other. I’ll wait. Everything he said, in multiple years, was that there were several SEC teams that were deserving. End of story.

Money is a big part. The largest part. But we were also sold on getting a better shot to win national championships because they would stump for PSU if we were in contention. How did that work in 1994? 2016?

Show me where he puts one higher than the other. I’ll wait. Everything he said, in multiple years, was that there were several SEC teams that were deserving. End of story.

Money is a big part. The largest part. But we were also sold on getting a better shot to win national championships because they would stump for PSU if we were in contention. How did that work in 1994? 2016?
1994 is the only real example
Other than that--we haven't been good enough

Here is the text from the Klatt/Travis podcast on 9/17/18. Was this the extent of all of the lobbying that everything thinks that Delaney did against us, or am I missing something?

the next year it was interesting because Ohio State had beaten Michigan which allowed Penn State to then jump into the game if you remember yeah and I'm always been a proponent that you need to win your conference to go to the playoffs so I was in a really tough position at that point is here I am calling the game on. Add thirteen and a half million viewers on average for that and steak Wisconsin Big Ten title game and I said listen you know me well enough clay like I don't generally say things I don't believe yes well you agree with that yes. OK so I came out and in that game I basically said I thought Penn State should be the representative Yeah I said I think Penn State's got a better case than how state they beat him head to head and now they've won the title and I felt the same oil last year in arguing for Ohio State over Alabama and I'm OK with that and I felt like I was OK with that listen I had to walk out and present the trophy to you know James Franklin that night and guess who is standing right there Jim Delaney and he says hey I think you're wrong like you know and he basically told me like interesting take on a Ohio State.

Here is the text from the Klatt/Travis podcast on 9/17/18. Was this the extent of all of the lobbying that everything thinks that Delaney did against us, or am I missing something?

the next year it was interesting because Ohio State had beaten Michigan which allowed Penn State to then jump into the game if you remember yeah and I'm always been a proponent that you need to win your conference to go to the playoffs so I was in a really tough position at that point is here I am calling the game on. Add thirteen and a half million viewers on average for that and steak Wisconsin Big Ten title game and I said listen you know me well enough clay like I don't generally say things I don't believe yes well you agree with that yes. OK so I came out and in that game I basically said I thought Penn State should be the representative Yeah I said I think Penn State's got a better case than how state they beat him head to head and now they've won the title and I felt the same oil last year in arguing for Ohio State over Alabama and I'm OK with that and I felt like I was OK with that listen I had to walk out and present the trophy to you know James Franklin that night and guess who is standing right there Jim Delaney and he says hey I think you're wrong like you know and he basically told me like interesting take on a Ohio State.
Yes. Lobbied for OSU over PSU. Should’ve taken the Sankey approach and said they both belong. Simple.

Unless you are privy to some private conversation of Greg Sankey that’s all we have. And much better than Delany.
I don't need to in order to understand how this works
I'm going to be naive and believe he doesn't know he can't spend time pushing Tennessee and Bama if he actually wants to get one in. He has to pick. The fact he even claimed he would push LSU if they won is funny.

Yes. Lobbied for OSU over PSU. Should’ve taken the Sankey approach and said they both belong. Simple.
Ohio State was ahead of us. He should have pitched them and then focused on us over Washington.
You can't tell me Sankey said Georgia, Tennessee and Bama were the same. You know he said Georgia was the most deserving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT